Biere De Noël - Big Sky Brewing Company

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.75% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-22-2007)
4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Bottle #834

Thanks to Alvey at Four Firkins for directing me to this fine brew. This immediately reminded me of St. Bernardus Abt 12. The appearance is a clear brown with a light tan head. The aroma has sweet vanilla, cherries and caramel candy. These all follow up in the flavor with the addition of small, but tasty spice and herb hops note, and almost tart blackberries and a very very slight licorice note. This is a very smooth drink, I had no problem splitting the 750 ml bottle with a friend. This is a very impressive dark Belgian. If it weren't for the label, I'd have no idea this was made in the states. It's rare to find American brewers who can't capture the rich and smooth characteristics of fine Belgian so well.

tempest, Dec 25, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

750ML gold foil wrapped and capped bottle, no. 179 of 1800.

This pours a clear deep amber brown with...2/3 tannish foam, 1/3 liquid. It's way foamy and it wants to creep out of the bottle but I have my eye on it.

The smell has notes of yeast, some candy sugar and caramel malt sweetness, some bitterness, and light dark fruity tones. A very nice nose.

The taste is very interesting. A light candy sweetness is first thing I notice but it immediately follows with some caramel malt, hop bitterness, and yeast. I like. More sips in and there's some of the dark fruit I mentioned in the smell showing up, with some spicing, and 2nd pour shows a cloudy liquid. Lots of nice lacing and head retention is super good...oh and it's quite warming.

The mouthfeel is pretty light for the style, the carbonation is rather brisk, it finishes decidedly bitter with just a light kick of tartness.

Drinkability? For a 8.75% brew, it's pretty darned good. I like what's going on here so I'm not really that distracted by the abv.

Bottom line: This Big Sky brew is very tasty and I'm glad I got a chance to try it. If it was available locally, I'd buy more.

Bitterbill, Dec 24, 2008

Bottle acquired in trade.

Poured a deeper amberish / orange color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of roastiness, toasted caramel, wood, and some dark fruits. Tastes of dark fruits, vanilla, lighter wood, spices, and toasted caramel.

Notes from 4/14/08

hopdog, Dec 15, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle #1002 of 1800.

Dark plummish appearance, huge, copious cocoa/tanned head, intensively rockish and reeling...quite a performance.

Rosy nose at first sniff...fruity, malty, but rather quiet. Can't say too much about it. Don't want to say anything bad about it, either.

In the mouth, it floods and fills the palate...nice and malty. minor fruity feel. Little hops, some spice. Getting bigger as we go. Yummy. Plum, and fig, and bit of a portish flavor, too. Gets maltier, fruitier, spicier...
...this is something I'd adore as a draft offering from a local brewpub, or as an affordable 6-pack from a local brewery..but I won't be buying another $14 750 ml bottle.
Glad they're doing this, but I'm sure they can do it in 12 ouncers. I'd buy it by the case if they would.

feloniousmonk, Dec 15, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours dark brown with large bubbled white head.

Nose seems somewhat off to me. It has dark fruits, maybe a suggestion of vegetables or mushroom. I can't decide if this "funkiness" is supposed to be there or if I received a bad bottle.

The taste is fine, which leads me to think it is supposed to be this way. Sweet and sour with some fruit and a velvetty smooth texture. Carbonation rolls well at the end on the finish, and again a very smooth quality impresses well.

Only detracting feature is the somewhat funky nose.

yemenmocha, Dec 04, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

05/08/07- Growler fill at the Big Sky Brewery in Missoula, MT.

Presentation- Growler fill from the tap.

Appearance- Liquified caramel color. Lots of micro fine yeast sediment. 1/4 inch creamy head which settles at a fine rim. Light streaky lacing.

Smell- Lots of dark fruits in the nose with a large caramel malt character. Prunes, raisins and figs. Great nose.

Taste- The nose knows! Like a caramel smoothie with fruit. Caramello base with a roasted nutty flavor. Lots of prunes. plums, raisins, figs and dates. Liquid caramel fruitcake is what we have here.

Mouthfeel- Fuller mouthfeel with a creamy and silky texture. Really low carbonation. Almost cask like.

Drinkability- Another excellent output from Big Sky! Not sure of the abv because they wouldn't divulge it. 8.7% at max though by Montana law.

GClarkage, May 22, 2007