Summer Honey Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

Montana, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2002

When the days get longer and the air gets warmer, we get outside quite a bit. And we build a big thirst. Summer Honey helps us shake off the winter and slakes our thirst for a refreshing brew. Summer Honey is a full-flavored summer seasonal ale. Brewed with a unique, balanced blend of spices, Northwest Hops, and Montana honey. Summer Honey is brewed during the early days of spring and released around the first of May each year. Light colored, light bodied, and very drinkable, Summer Honey sacrifices nothing to create a flavorful beer that can be enjoyed during the height of the Summer.
1.48/5  rDev -56.6%

This beer had a musty earthiness I found rather unpleasant, and nothing else to recommend it. I can't recommend it - I found it rather lousy.

This beer appeared to have an oily sheen; it was slightly hazy, an unflattering shade of yellow, and had a little head. The appearance didn't give me a lot of reason to have faith that I would enjoy this beer.

The aroma didn't provide any additional reason not to be pessimistic. There was the aroma of some spice and maltiness, but also a lot of earthiness that I found off-putting and unpleasant.

The watery mouthfeel hit me before the flavor. Flavor was a distinct compost-y flavor.

Not good...not recommended...most went down the drain. (694 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours pale yellow color and and is clear. Two fingers of head is fairly resilient and produces moderate lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is fairly faint and has a sweet aroma.

The taste is sweet, with a real raw honey flavor, and very little hop flavor coming through. I think the honey is over done. It is a sickly sweet flavor.

The mouth feel is a little thick and syrupy, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me because of the overly sweet taste.

I came close to pouring this one down the sink. It’s just too sweet, and the sweetness has some odd characteristics as well. It reminds me of the smell of over-aged beef. I can see how a lot of folks might like this beer, but I think I’ll avoid this one in the future. (797 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

Tasted from 12oz bottle. Pours pale golden with a thin and quickly receding white head. Light nose of wheat and some honey. Simple flavors of wheat and honey with some spices on the back of the palate. Body is light, and carbonation is very lively with a rather short spiced finish. Overall, I am not crazy about this beer. (323 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -39.6%

I have to admit that I didn't pour this into a glass and so I gave the appearance a "3.0" as a default. I don't think the appearance could have saved this one though. It tasted very watery to me, like a light macro beer but with some honey flavor added. I know that a summer ale is supposed to be light, but this one was dismal... (330 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured into an english pint, it is nearly transparent. The white head goes from single finger to barely lacing in no time. It's golden, not leaning toward orange or yellow. Not particularly impressive.

The smell doesn't hit me immediately as much of anything. Perhaps hints of coriander, but can't define anything more than that. Citrus may be a stretch.

The taste is thicker than the appearance would suggest. The best thing I can say is that it is well mixed. The honey doesn't feel forced or separated, not like a hoppy pinesol. Rather, the honey is subtly combined with the sweet, light texture. I may not have the strongest palate, but it seems a bit empty, not very complex. The sharper hints are not of citrus, but of subtle spice that does not linger.

Flavors here might benefit from a wheat texture, as this one seems too quickly fleeting. There is not much present to hold on to.

It goes down easy, but is heavier than I might like. There is something to this one being cold that gives it a Kolsch feel. I have to admit this might be releiving on a hot day. (1,072 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -36.4%

Reviewed 06/05/10
Poured from bottle to standard pint glass.

A: Light yellow straw. Barely any bubbles.

S: Honey notes accented by low hopping.

T: Floral with low honey flavor. Touch of sourness.

M: Light mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

D: No real appeal here. Much better summer ales available. (301 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -32.3%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass on a scorching Montana day.

The pour leaves an amazingly transparent, straw yellow ale with a thick, cloud-white head. Decent spackles of lacing are left behind as the foam slowly recedes. It's all downhill from here... The aroma is mediocre as best: some coriander & other spices with hints of sweet citrus and lots of wheat.

The taste is disappointing as well. There's a touch of honey, barely detectable, with a bland blend of wheat and bitter spice. Pretty awful stuff, really. Mouthfeel is crisp and astringent with a high level of carbonation, but a bad aftertaste that tries its best at a bitter finish, but ultimately fails. All in all, I wouldn't ever buy this again. Quite the flop of a summer brew from the makers of such a fine-tasting beer as Moose Drool. I hope this is just a case of a bad bottle. (847 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -31.4%

12oz. longneck.
A) Pours with a finger thick head. Clear body, gold in color. Thin, tight lacing.
S) Not very aromatic. With a name like "summer honey" I anticipated at least a honey aroma. Of the faint aromatics there's a noticeable grain and a subtle floral aroma.
T) Weak taste. Gritty grain taste. Subtle malt sweetness. Resembles more of pilsener than a APA (maybe that's a error?)
M) Fizzy. Crisp. Light bodied.
D) Meh... not very impressed. I wouldn't drink another one. (477 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -29.6%

Served in Imperial Pint glass. Poured a clear light gold with a thin head that had no retention or lacing.

A bland, although slightly sweet, aroma greets the nose. The flavors are similar, without there being any noticeable features. with a slightly astringent finish.

The body was very thin, you almost don't even notice it's in your mouth. The beer was certainly drinkable, but why bother? Try this if you're looking to add another notch on your gunhandle, but otherwise avoid. (481 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: pours a thick eggshell sudsy head that recedes fairly quickly. Moderate lacing. Color is a cloudy gold with some sediment in suspension.
Aroma: there is a smell of something akin to soap, along with white yeast rolls, and a hint of hop spice
Mouthfeel: light, thin, and watery with a somewhat dry finish.
Flavor: lightly roasted sweet malts, honey, lemon, and a slight soapy flavor in the middle and finish.
Overall: this a decent, light, refreshing summer beer. Not outstanding, but good nonetheless. (517 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%

12oz bottle into my Orval glass...Pours a disappointing clear light honey with a only a whisper of white head that fades right away...Aroma is super light, a little honey a skunk but thats it, not encouraging...The taste is so bland and boring with a horribly light feel, its like drinking a bud light without the skunk.

Skip this commercial garbage. (352 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -24.6%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 40 degrees

Pale golden straw color. Very pale. Minimal head. Minimal retention. Spotty lacing (at best). Looks weak.

Smells of wheat and floral hoppiness. Black pepper and orange peel.

Weak. Tastes like carbonated water, served in a glass that once had beer in it. I will say that it is crisp and clean tasting. There is some citrus and spice flavor in here, along with a touch of sweetness. The problem is that they are buried so deep that you can hardly taste them.

A little bit better (more) body than the traditional summer brew. Smooth and drinkable.

I don't like this one. I don't find it drinkable. For me to drink this one again, my other choice(s) will have to be quite horrid. (733 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into standard pint glass

A: Very light pale gold, almost looks too light. Very little head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing to speak of.

S: I hate to do this...I love Big Sky beers...this one smells like a gym sock soaked in Coors light...with a some noticeable hints of honey. No malt or hops coming through.

T: About like it smells

M: Very light body, crisp, decent carbonation

D: I would still drink this before most macros out there...ice cold on a hot day it may hit the spot. But I certainly won't go out of my way to find it.

Sorry Big Sky...your IPA, Moose Drool, and Scape Goat are still great! (647 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -23.8%

Strange, from the name I expected a summer honey wheat beer.

This beer pours a clear golden colored beer with a decent white head.

Smell is sweet and floral with the trace of flowers that honey leaves behind but there is still a trace of honey in the scent. The bottle says there are spices in this but I am not picking them up.

Taste is dry very dry and with a sharp bitter hit at the start of the glass. Flavor of flowers and high alpha acid hops. Not much more I can say about this one the taste just isn't there.

Mouthfeel is good.

A boring beer that tastes like a Coors with kicked up bitterness levels. No reason to ever try this. (651 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a true imperial pint glass in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I quite fancy honey beers, but this brewery has yet to impress me.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, fair/below average thickness, and okay retention. Colour is a transparent light gold. The abundance of bubbles makes me wonder if it's overcarbonated.

Sm: Mildly full barley, traces of cidery honey notes, and no detectable spices (I was looking for them per the label). A mild strength aroma.

T: A barley foundation with some decent honey notes atop. I detect no spice at all. It's quite simply built so there isn't much to say about it. No layering or depth. It's decently balanced I guess.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also too obstructively thick. There's hardly any allowance for what few flavours are present. It's by no means creamy. The finish is abruptly dry and a touch coarse.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. I might try it again on draught if I'm feeling squirrelly but otherwise I'll just avoid this in the future. This was the fourth and final beer I had from their variety pack; I see no reason to have anything from this brewery in the future unless it comes naturally to me. They seem to be pretty shite. (1,318 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

12 oz bottle. Freshness code stamped on neck.

Clear golden with a soapy white head and patchy lace.

Aroma is honey and cereal.

Flavor is honey, grain, and lemon.

finish is short and slightly sweet.

Today was a hot one, over 90, and yes this was refreshing, but there are many other summer beers that are better. (327 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a very pale gold color with a small white dome and minimal lacing. Kind of dull looking actually.

A weak corn and sweet malt aroma greets you, along with a grassy accent. Again, kind of dull.

Tasted a bit more interesting than the scent and appearance would suggest, however it's still only average at best. Sweet malt is the main draw here, with an ever so slight hint of orange and pepper.

Mouthfeel was on the watery side. Had just enough carbonation bite to keep it from getting a lower score.

This is a moderately enjoyable brew, but once I finished off the bottles I had no desire to revisit it again. A bit too sweet and thin for my tastes. (657 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Half-finger white head, virtually no retention. Pale golden color with high clarity. No real lacing. Not very appealing.

S- Light malts, grass and soap. Maybe some honey if I stretch for it, but otherwise very bland.

T- Spicy hops, golden malts. It's alright.

M- Light bodied and aggressive carbonation.

O- Not great. Below average. Avoid. (441 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Best by date of 8/17/11 lasered on the neck. It was a clear, golden honey color with plenty of carb streams. It had an average sized, fizzy head that quickly settled into a good carb and wisps. Good lacing with lots sticking.

The aroma was pale and biscuity malt with a little bit of honey and low hops. Bit of a disappointment. Needed more honey and more hops. No spices that I could tell but label claims it. Taste was average with biscuity malt leading the way and again a, too small, touch of honey. Not much hops. Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Overall, an average beer and a below average APA that I won't remember soon as I crack the next beer. Really like some other Big Sky offerings but this one is a miss for me. Avail here in TX. Too many other offerings out there to make the rotation. [N;N] (860 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -19.1%

Big Sky Brewing's Summer Honey pours a finger of foam over a slightly
cloudy yellow brew. Carbonation is moderate, the nose is light malt and
cooked vegetable. The flavor is tart malt up against some kind of herbal
hop. There's an aftertaste of grain. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is
probably my least favorite Big Sky product so far- it's not bad, but there's
something here that's off- probably that boiled vegetable smell. Try some-
I see this is being deeply discounted in a lot of places. If you like it, stock up. (526 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured into a pint glass at 37 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger head that sadly dissipate fairly fast. The body of the beer is a pale straw color. There is effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear.

Nose: A medium toasty biscuit malt aroma with a light hop characters. The hops displays in some floral and citrus. The label said spice and it is too low for me to catch it. There is however, the honey aroma, lightly sweet.

Taste: The malt has a light toasted character. The hops are flat with no flavor really standing out. The honey is apparent and the spices are hidden.

Overall: The mouth fee is light, carbonated and a tad crisp. The body is also light and the finish is mild. I am not impressed. This beer does not taste like an APA. I think it is a tad sweet and not enough hops. (811 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -18.5%

Had this one on-tap at the BendBrewfest, as well as their Moose Drool Ale.

Pours a light golden, straw/yellow to be more exact. Very dense head, especially after a pretty vigorous pour by the barkeep.
Aroma is a bit mild. If fact, pretty unremarkable. Some spices, coriander.

Not finding much honey in the taste. Bit of a citrus zest, peach/apricot and maybe some apple flavors there.

Sweeter finish, with some floral notes.

Drinkability isn't quite there. I try to be optimistic when trying (and rating) styles that I don't have a strong affinity for. Big Sky does justice in the fact that its a decent summer ale, light and refreshing. Just seems that some more honey and a moderate increase in hopping couldv'e kicked this one up a few notches. (755 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -18.2%

A- Pours a honey laced gold.

S- Pale malts with light hints of spice and honey.

T- Flavorful honey, with a slight hint of fruit. Also has traces of wheat and light earthy spices.

M- Smooth, lightly carbonated. Finishes quickly and leaves a slight touch of honey lingering.

O- Overall, this has been my least favorite offering from Big Sky Brewing. (351 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a clear straw with a quick head and no lacing or foam. Good bubbles though. The aroma is a delicate mix of pale malts adn light spices. hen somesoft honey and musty hops. The tase immediately mkes me think of an American pale wheat ale. Musty German hops with some light honey bread sweetness and even lighter spice notes. The palate is sweet but a little musty, but the finish has a nice honey and spice combo. Tastes more like an American wheat ale than an APA. (469 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -15.8%

a: pours a pale golden color with about a half inch of head that disappears fairly quickly leaving a ring of lacing around the edge of the glass
s: citrus and floral hops. There is a strong aroma of biscuity malts, along with hints of the honey sweetness
t: similar to the aroma. citrus hops biscuity malts and light hint of honey sweetness
m: light bodied beer with ample carbonation

overall, i enjoyed this beer but dont think ill get it again (446 characters)

Summer Honey Ale from Big Sky Brewing Company