Big Sky IPA - Big Sky Brewing Company

Big Sky IPABig Sky IPA

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

In Montana, many classic memories are made right after someone says, “Hold my beer and watch this.” These bold, assertive moments deserve a bold, assertive beer – Big Sky IPA. A distinct hop presence and malty backbone will leave you refreshed and ready for your moment of glory. Hang on tight and enjoy the ride.

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Sky IPA Alström Bros

Poured into a snifter just to be fancy, why not? Pour clear and golden amber in color, nice slightly off-white head with good retention and lacing. Smell is heavy of grapefruit and pineapple. A very sweet floral scent as well. Very plesant. Taste is about on par. A sweet citrus with a mellow hop bite at the end. Some caramel malt balances it out. Mouthfeel was very smooth and silky, a little more of a medium body. Overall a great beer. A good IPA and a reasonable ABV makes it sessionable.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from the bottle a clear amber orange with a thin but rich off-white head.

Aroma of grapefruit and pine along with light caramel malts.

The taste matches the aroma with a hoppy hit of grapefruit and pine along with the balance of the caramel malts. Finishes clean.

Lighter bodied, clean and smooth, and lightly carbonated.

This is a quite nice IPA from the folks at Big Sky. Very sessionable and a joy to drink. Big Sky just came into the St. Louis market and I gladly welcome them.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Reviewing the bottle now

Poured from the bottle into a Tulip

A-Very crisp clean amber/copper one of the clearest looking IPA's ive ever seen. No real head or laceing

S-Bitter hops and grapefruit/citrus notes

T-Taste follows the smell with a very present roasted quality that im not used to from an IPA. Finish is classic IPA extremly good

M-Thicker than most IPA this is near a heavy bodied beer. Sits nice tho very smooth and all the complexities come out nicely

D-I am so glad we can get big sky in this area and I'm looking very forward to their other offerings. This will be a consistant visitor to my fridge

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Clear amber color with a slightly off-white head. Retention and lacing qualities were fantastic.

S: Nice pine and grapefruit hop aromas up front. Nice hints of green apple and pineapple. Just a hint of malt toastiness to round it all out. Very pleasant and not too piercing.

T: Started out nicely with hops of the grass and pine variety dominating the front of the mouth. However, there was this weird resin-like, almost chemical taste in the back of the mouth that bothered me and really took away from the overall flavor. It faded a bit as I went on. Not sure if I got used to it or it mellowed out. The malt character serves to keep the hops from getting out of hand.

M: Heavier side of light-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. The feeling is slick and almost oily and the aftertaste is bitter and piney.

D: Would be great, if not for that strange taste that I mentioned earlier.

This IPA had so much going for it, and then came that strange flavor. I was able to overcome it eventually, but it definitely put a damper on the whole experience. Take that out of the equation and this beer would be a very solid IPA indeed. Still, it's worth a try, and maybe others will not find that flavor as offensive as I did. I may try this again down the road to see if this bottle was a fluke.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

poured into a tulip, deep copper and a nice thick rocky head. there is even a slight purpleish hue, very very slight.

smells incredibly floral, some malt in the background and a twinge of alcohol. grapefruity and piney hops.

Tastes like a wonderful balance of caramel malts and incredible floral and citrusy hops. nice bittering but not too overpowering. so complex for a single IPA I don't think there gets much better for a single.

mouth is just slightly oily but not distracting or viscous. carbonation is just right to help the bittering hops but perfectly inviting. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to have this beer but if it keeps this high quality standard, then it will be the best single IPA I can have.

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Color is a golden orange hue. 1 finger head. A little retention leaving some splattered lace.

Aroma is very hoppy. Mainly floral hops. There are some grapefruit ntes, honey, and bready malts. This is what an IPA should smell like.

Taste was not as bitter and flavorful as I was expecting, based on the smell. The floral hops and honey are present as well as some citrus fruits.

Mouthfeel is a slight bitterness but overall, pretty smooth. Ends with a clean hoppy aftertaste. Seems well carbonated.

Overall, I was a lot more impressed by the smell of this beer as compared to the taste. However, it was a great representation of the style. I would easily drink this beer again,

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

bought a single of this at local beer store..WOW let me start.. the appearance is the same as many classic IPAS.. amber orange 1 finger head with lacing till the end... ok now the smell it is superb its pine and herb/hops forward with citrus/ floral smells its a crisp very west coast IPA..the taste is the same heavy pine citrus and hops up front followed by the just right malt finish.. this is a perfectly balanced IPA.. this is a goldmine find for ipa lovers i went back and bought 2 more sixers..this is on the rotation now .. i would give this an a-plus but only reserve that for a very few brews i can only say that this is a great balanced crisp IPA in a west coast style that is superb... well done BIG SKY im a fan of this IPA..

Passing through Missoula there was the billboard on the side of the interstate. Brewery next exit. Free samples. How'm I gonna pass that up?

Oh, man. They were all pretty good here at Big Sky. The IPA... outstanding. Excellent. My current favorite beer.

Passing back through in the other direction I drank my brewery limit (only IPA this time) and bought a cool bottle opener that says "Big Sky Brewing Company: We make water fun!" Indeed. I'd be needing it for the half-rack I bought fresh out of the brewery fridge and carried back to the roof of the hotel in Seattle.

Night before leaving I sat up there between the Needler and the Sound watching the ferrys run back and forth and thinking it would be the last time I'd have this beer for a long time... if ever. Big Sky doesn't have distribution in Texas. Good News! They do in Oklahoma and since I visit often... oh yeah!

To my tastebuds this the perfectly balanced hoppy/citrusy IPA. My session beer.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

this one poured a completely cloudy copper with a finger of tan head

nose was good, sweet tropical like citrus and a bit of pine, balanced more towards the end by breadiness and caramel malts

taste was a good blast of the hops, citrus and earthy tones. no sweetness as indicated by the smell, which was fine. dry and a bit earthy. the malt comes through a bit more in the finish, but the hops continue to rule the show loooong after the sip

the medium mouthfeel is real bright and snappy, the flavors are crisp and the carbonation is perfect, greasy/sticky feel

very refreshing, crisp, flavorful beer. hopheads indulge.

Another beer sent to me by Wasatch. Thanks again John.

Big sky Ipa has a hazy copper body with about a finger and a half of off white head. Not too much retention here, but a few thick rings of sticky lacing.

The aroma boasts a ton of bitter, citrus flavored hops. Some sweet malt comes through the background.

Up front comes a ton of bitter hops, with grapefruit flavors features prominantly. Immediately following are some more hops, but more of the sweet, fruity, pineapple varitey than straight bitter flavors. Next comes a pretty good balancing malt backbone that is sweet and caramely. Pretty good IPA.

Light to medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Slightly oily texture.

Good drinkability. Overall, a good IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Copper in color with a soapy head, both in color and texture. Sparse sticky lacing.
Woderful tropical fruit aromas.
While this is an aggresively hopped beer, it's the malt profile that sales it for me. I don't know what it is, but it's different than most IPAs. It's better.
Nice lush mouthfeel. Full bodied.
Very drinkable. It has a lot of the characteristics of a DIPA with out the high abv and it's not as filling. Good job Big Sky.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Acquired in a trade with Colts9016 - thank you for the great trade Benjamin!

Upon first sight and smell I thought this might just be another "decent" but not great IPA's - man was I wrong! The flavors are so much like any great West Coast IPA (re: Blind Pig, Pliny the Elder).

Poured into a Duvel glass (10 minutes outside the fridge). The color is a dark but clear reddish bronze color. The color reminds me of any great Scotch Ale. The color may be a touch darker than many West Coast IPA's I've tried (Perhaps this is the reason for the "B" rating).

The aroma is a bit muted but smells just like an elephant ear from the fair - no kidding! There is some floral hop smells but mostly I'm picking up on the massive malt attack. So far looks like a scotch, smells like a scotch....if it had a kilt and a brode I'd ask it to join me in a round of golf!

The first taste is instant love. If this beer would have me (and I weren't already married) I might consider a proposal. The flavors are so attenuated, dry, earthy, and pine-ily hopped I am mystified that the aroma didn't match! This is so much like Moyan's Hopsickle in that the flavors just pop the right way. I have to say this is one amazing beer. I wish I had about 23 more of them.

The mouthfeel is extremely full which surprised me because there was no sweetness in the taste. The brewers got the perfect carbonation and the taste layers are ideal for a truly great IPA.

All of this makes this an extremely easy drinking beer. I would drink it in a boat, with a mouse, and on a train, with a goat, in a house, and in the rain! I do like this IPA, I would drink it every day!

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a deep copper color. Very small head that is quickly gone. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell is of hops with a small bit of malt.

Taste is hoppy with malt. This is a very well balanced beer. Not overpowering in any aspect. Just a flavorful beer.

Medium bodied with average carbonation.

Highly drinkable. Not filling nor overpowering in any way. This is a very sessionable beer. For the price, this is a solid go to beer.

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

Love the art work on this brew. This liquid appears a golden orange liquid, with little carbonation, and decent initial head that fades quickly. Some splotchy lace. Smell is a wonderful grapefruit burst. Sweet citrus. The citrus flavor explodes with this beer. Grapefruit foremost, followed by tangerine. Most of the sweetness here is citric in nature, not much malt. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, the taste lingers and begs for more. This is an IPA that i would LOVE to see 12 packed.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Grapefruit. That pretty much sums this good IPA up. It actually works quite well, but there is a bunch of grapefruit taste in this one.

Nice head, pours a copper-amber color into my pint glass. Decent piney-citrus nose. Nice mouthfeel, good carbonation, feels pretty smooth. Lacing persists throughout the experience. Taste is an above average IPA, good balance, right amount of biting hops. I am not a big fan of some of Big Sky's beers, but I will most definitely continue purchasing this one.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

12 oz bottle

A - Impressively clear is the first striking attribute. No hazing whatsoever. A darker golden to almost brown color. Head formation is light white, sizing up to a 1 mm, and is well retained.

S - Piney, floral, and grapefruit hops smell. Moderate for an IPA. Certainly an earthy profile. Not much else there.

T - Starts off with a fairly boring initial flavor, with little tilt towards malt or hops. Certainly is bitter though. Mid-stream starts to develop some of those grapefruit tastes. Finishes with an extremely potent wet hop taste - like I'm chewing on a fresh cone.

M - Thicker and more full of body than many of the other IPAs I've had. A light amount of filming in the mouth after each drink, surprising for the alpha acid content.

D - moderately drinkable. ABV is very manageable. Not very filling. The only knock would be that earthy aftertaste is awfully assertive and palette dominating.

Good IPA - I enjoyed this one.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle received from breity in a recent trade. Thanks!

Pours a murky copper/amber with a massive foamy off-white head on top. This stuck around for the entire drink like the top of a milkshake. Perfect sip rings all along the glass edge. Great spotty lacing throughout. Beautiful.

Smells great for an IPA. Definite citrus player as I'm smelling grapefruit and slight lemon zest. Floral tones pervade as well. Great. Mouthfeel is firm, crisp, yet velvety smooth. Wonderful.

This beer packs a punch on the flavor. Wonderful grapefruity hop bitterness right at the onset, backed by decent malty sweetness. As the beer warms the bitterness fades to a mellow caramelly sweetness that I really dig. Spectacular.

Thanks breity for this absolutely wonderful IPA. Highly recommend.

12oz bottle with no freshness or brewed on date

A- amber colored body with a finger and a half of fluffy white head that sticks around for a while.

S- sweet caramel malts upfront with a lot of hops at the end. strong citrus/grapefruit notes.

T- caramel/toffee malt upfront. loads of hops as well. lots of grapefruit flavor. no trace of alcohol anywhere

M- light to medium bodied with a good level of carbonation. very crisp and clean. leaves the mouth feeling dry

D- easy to finish. i wish there was some way to tell if this was fresh. hop-centric brews without a best by date are always hard to pick up. this one worked out fine. i can see myself having a few of these in an evening. next time ill opt for the sixer instead of the single.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked this up in a Big Sky Mix Pack a week ago.

A-Looks nice as I pour out this Amber-orange brew. Definitely not as light as I thought it would look. I like my IPAs darker and this is definitely one of those. A crisp white head crowns this brew.

S-Citrus/grapefruit hops and sweetness from the malts. A pretty solid combination, but I would like a bit more of a hop presence.

T-A clean sweetness at first with floral, citrusy hops towards the end. There is a strong grapefruit bitterness. It is a nice bitterness that doesn't linger too long. Pretty well balanced. Definitely an above average flavor, but not iconical.

M-Thin, but crisp. I would have like a bit more body from this one.

D-An above average IPA. Definitely one I'd never turn down. Maybe not a staple in my fridge while I live in Minnesota, but in SD it may be one of the better IPAs I can get. This is definitely one of those beers I would like to try on tap to compare to the bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer pours a copper looking tone with a nice sized creamy white head.

The aroma is loaded with lots of citrus and a kind of floral hop.

The flavor is bursting with those citrus, grapefruit-like hops. I am reminded of a ripe grapefruit every time I drink this beer. Sufficiently bitter and a bit of sweet, bready malts.

The Big Sky IPA has been a friend of mine for awhile now. It has very good drinkability for a hophead like myself.

bought a sample pack which includes their four main beers. this one pours an amber/copper color. one finger off-white head. sticky head. looks good.

big citrus nose. definitely grapefruit in there. no off odors. cannot wait to take another sniff.

hops dominate my tongue. citrus/american hops. some sweetness from malts come through but are subdued by the hops. dry bitter hop aftertaste. balanced for an aipa.

good carbonation. mid body. i could drink a few more. another pleasurable option in the aipa category.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Deep amber with reddish hues, a darker looking brew for the style. Creamy head that leaves rings of lacing down the glass. Smell is very malty but still well balanced with a solid hop presence. Juicy and citrusy, sugared with malt. A bit of caramel, some toffee, and brown sugar. Flavor is solid enough. Definitely a more tamed brew but I can't find much else to complain about. Good hop profile and the malts aren't overwhelming, just providing a sure balance. Again, sugared citrus hops with caramel and brown sugar most apparent. Also a toasted bread underneath. Mouthfeel is somewhat creamy, with less assertive bitterness than I'd like. Still fairly crisp and lightly drying in the finish. While this one may not have the hop blast of your usual IPA, I still think it's quite solid. One that could walk closely on the lines of an Amber. It's a session beer for me, provided I could get it more often.

Thanks to flexabull for the Secret Santa brew!

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to Wasatch for this one!

This beer pours a copper color with a slightly off white head that holds a nice ring, some wisps of foam and plenty of lace.

The aroma of this one is fairly light. I certainly get some bready malts but also some floral/spicy/citrus hops.

The flavor first of all has a solid pale malt flavor complimented by some caramel malts. The hops though are the significant flavor, even if they do not completely overpower the soft malt characteristics. The hops start of spicy and then give way to floral before finishing with a delicate balance of floral, citrus and spicy malts.

The mouthfeel is fairly medium. A nice carbonation also is present.

Overall, a decent IPA. This is nothing overwhelming, but still quite solid.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

A- 12oz brown bottle poured into a pint glass. The beer is a transparent red-orange with a 2-finger white head after a hard pour. The head dwindles down to a fine layer after a couple minutes, but this lasts till the end. Leaves a nice lacing pattern on the glass.

S- Citrusy hops with lemon and orange notes. Hops dominate.

T- There is no sweetness at all to this beer. Lots of hop bitterness and the grapefruit hop sour-bitterness characteristic of American hops. The beer isn't very well-balanced, but does what it's trying to do quite well.

M- Low carbonation and medium-full body. Very nice.

D- Moderate alcohol and good, consistent flavor make this a pretty good session beer. $7.99 a six-pack doesn't break the bank either.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a very clear amber with a small one finger white head. Head has ok retention but leaves very little lacing.

S: Smells of strong hops, a bit of caramel and pine.

T: More balanced than it smelt, nice citrus hops with a bitter pine aftertaste.

Overall: I really enjoyed this IPA, not the best I've ever had but it's enjoyable and not expensive.

Big Sky IPA from Big Sky Brewing Company