Big Sky IPA - Big Sky Brewing Company

Big Sky IPABig Sky IPA

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

In Montana, many classic memories are made right after someone says, “Hold my beer and watch this.” These bold, assertive moments deserve a bold, assertive beer – Big Sky IPA. A distinct hop presence and malty backbone will leave you refreshed and ready for your moment of glory. Hang on tight and enjoy the ride.

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Sky IPA Alström Bros

Yes, sir, I had gotten myself into a beer of substance...first bite I meant first taste...

Gorgeous amber...Fooled again!...I have had this beer a few times before I found this place and I never once poured into a glass to get a good look at her...boy oh boy was I missing out!...She's absolutely gorgeous!...easy on the eyes orange amber with tons of big bubbles...the biggest I've ever seen!...Lace like a French...well you know...

She smelled weedy...which did nothing but make my mouth water...I knew I was in for a wonderful hop bite...staring down the neck of this bottle was sorta like looking down the barrel of Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum..."Do you feel lucky?, Punk!"...This beer pulled no punches...

Bam!...Hops for days!...Just what me wanted...and me getted!...I needed that citrusy, weedy, herbal kick...tried a lot a of beers in me time and one thing is certain...go to the IPA's when you need your palate refreshed...I have never even had a double...can't imagine a bigger gun than this...nor the need...but hoohah and overkill are man's best entertainment...

Yo tengo hombre!...after the second one of these jokers went to the fridge and pulled out a chunk of Havarti and and some smoked brats...Afterwards I felt religous...I don't know if that cheese, and that sausage are supposed to go with that beer...but they did and I lived to tell of it...

You guys...I own a 70 Cadillac with the 472...I don't drive her much because everytime I start her the NASDAQ goes up!...on Sundays I fire her up and go for a spin...something happens...something not entirely good...but evil...a good evil...same thang here!...And yes I know of the hop shortage...is that why this beer goes down so good?...a guilty pleasure perhaps...Hops are a wonderful thang!...every drink feels like I'm mashing the gas until the secondaries open...This beer is a magic carpet ride...cain't harldy wait for next Summer and swimming in the pool and barbecued ribs..and Big Sky I.P.A....

CamuMahubah, Dec 11, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Bought this on the recommendation of my local beer guy. I told him I was in the mood for some hops, and he said this was the beer to get. Let's dig in. Pours amber with a 1-finger thick, tan head which slowly dissipates and and leaves a fairly consistent lacing all around. Smells of sharp hops that reach out and grab you. Citrus and a modicum of malts peek their heads out after you have a chance to regain your composure form the shock of the hops smell. Tastes of hops that aren't overwhelming, but just right with a fair amount of understated intensity. There's a bit of orange thrown in to make things interesting and I'm getting some spice at the end. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Drinkability is smooth and begs you to have a few.

stephens101, Dec 07, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz purchased at the 16th st Albertsons for about $1.40... poured into my shaker pint... still listing to James Zabiela Alive V.1.

Big eggshell head sitting on top of a polished copper brew.. crystal clear.. but oh my smell the hops from here.

Big badass hop aroma... citrus pine... you name the American hop ... It is probably here and it is standing at attention. I would guess there are quite a bit of Simcoe and Chinook in here... I typically don't care for Chinook hops.. too metallic/aggressive.. but with the citrus hop bomb it works really well. Just enough caramel malts to back up the hops.

The malty sweetness battle with the hop bitterness but are overtaken early in the palate... flows smoothly into the hop flavors.. again grapefruit and pine... and more Chinook... toward the end a nice toasty malt finish blends perfectly with the citrus zest... good medium body with adequate carbonation to mix the flavors perfectly.

I would put this beer up against lesser DIPA's... and frequently this one would pull a substantial lead on the hop profile and balance alone. Big Sky makes some fantastic brews... Stop at the brewery if you get a chance and try some of their much more rare beers that are only available in Missoula... and if you get lucky, there will be some nice bottled offerings you can take home.

JohnGalt1, Dec 04, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Clear amber color with a golden-white head. Low carbonation

Smell: Moderate hops and malt.

Taste: Good hop presentation. Sweet malt balances flavor to provide a very drinkable IPA.

Mouthfeel: Light body. Dry hoppy finish.

Drinkability: Good IPA. Reasonably priced for a quality brew.

SargeC, Dec 03, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A clear copper color with just a thin cover of white and decent lacing streaking throughout. The aroma is a decided flowery grapefruit hops with some lemon highlights, almost a resemblance to sweet turnips at times. The flavor is a nice blend of grapefruit and carmel with the accent on the hops, but not overdone at all. It has fine carbonation, fairly tangy but there is also a malty creaminess to it. A nice feel and a decent tasting IPA that is easy drinking. Recommended.

Durge, Nov 29, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: light orange with 2" head that lasts. Some mild lacing develops.

Smell: grapefruit, caramel, and some soft bitterness is easily detectable by the nose.

Taste: nice caramel base. Grapefruit and milder orange citrus, soft pine, and a touch of honey. Bitterness is strong but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout with some dryness at the finish. Short aftertaste as the bitterness lingers a bit. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: nice session IPA that you can find yourself drinking a bit quicker than normal. Great on tap.

Gavage, Nov 28, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Rusty copper color with a frothy off white cap and exceptional sticky lacing.
Heavy pine and grapefruit with a touch of cat urine.
Mouthfeel was slightly creamy and slick, coated the palate nicely.
Taste mimmicked the smell minus the cat urine. Bitter on the end that lingered but not overly done.
All in all I was pleased with this selection, which was shipped to me by a friend in CO, would return to this again if it was available in the area.

ohoove, Nov 21, 2007
Photo of
3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz. bottle.

Clear, dark gold, liquid. Large, creamy, off-white head. Good lacing.

Scents of peaches and caramel. Smells very sweet. Not much aroma from the hops.

Taste is more bitter than sweet, but nicely balanced. Biscuity middle. Spicy at finish and in aftertaste.

Medium in body. Medium to high carbonation. Dry, but not too much so.

Overall, pretty good. Not the best IPA I've ever had, but certainly enjoyable.

, Nov 20, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

This one starts off pretty good with a beautiful reddish-copper hue and a tan head, but the good times don’t carry over to the initial taste. Flavor is a bit metallic, and other than that it’s all hops, hops, hops. Heavy bitterness lingers a little too long at the end. I don’t think I’d get this again.

PaleAlien2, Nov 17, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

Purchased this near ASU in Tempe, AZ. Pretty hard to find in Arizona.

Heavy on the hops and alcohol.

Piney overtones.

Anyone the notice the "herb" in the nose?!

Suprising 6.2% ABV with such a pungent smell and striking taste.

One of the better brews coming out of Big Sky. Would definitely buy again.

mdm4584, Nov 10, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Deep reddish copper color. Clear, with a nice, persistent, two finger head.

Dominant grapefruit aroma. Overly fruity. Smells like that fruity V8 juice drink. Not bad, but a little odd.

Great taste. Fruity hoppiness. Not too intense. Light citrus for the style. Good bitterness. I like.

Nothing special on the mouthfeel. Adequate, solid, no complaints.

Pretty drinkable beer for the style. Not over-the-top. It tastes like they spent some time refining this one.

burtonbe, Oct 31, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

The beer pours a nice clear copper color from the 12 ounce bottle with a modest white creamy head that fades away leaving the lace to coat the glass in a thin sheet. Nose has a citrus like crispness, chock full of spicy hop aroma, sweet malt, and a bit of fruit, start has a pleasant malt profile, sweet at the front and a bit of hop bitterness at the back, top is medium in feel. Finish continues the hop spiciness; somewhat sweet dry aftertaste ends the beer, a nice drinking IPA.

Gusler, Oct 23, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

This pours a clear copper with a nice 1/2 inch head that sticks around for awhile. Tiny bubbles continously being released. Leaves some nice sticky lacing.

The smell is of floral hops and grass with a hint of pine. A very pleasant IPA aroma.

The taste is dominated by hops which you would expect. Piney and dry is the way I would describe the taste. It is medium bodied and perfectly carbonated. Very satisfying and a very good IPA and I would very much like another.

morimech, Oct 20, 2007

Clear copper colored brew, medium cream colored head. Floral hop nose, caramel malt. Caramel malt front dominated by a nice floral hop backround. Grapefruit tones. Very tasty hops run the show with this brew. Thin to medium mouth. Not a bad choice if you're looking for a nice hop treat.

Tballz420, Oct 15, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

color was an orangey-amber - very nice

nice thick, frothy head that did not diminish

smell was good - a little grassy with a definite hint of hops

it went down nicely. not too thick. good mouthfeel(what you'd expect from an IPA). tasted a little fruity, hoppy and grassy - reminiscent of something organic maybe?

definitely a well done IPA from our friends in Montana.

Cheers!

tobyandgina, Oct 01, 2007

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is clear, dark copper in color. Pour produces a nice off white 1/2 inch head. Good staying power with some good lacing.

Smell: BIG in hops. Piney, yet a bit floral with a hint of citrus. This seems to cover most of the hop scents I would think you could get. Not much malt related, but then again I don't really look for much in the scenty malt department in an IPA.

Taste: Piney, resiny, with a big bitter finish. There is some decent malt backing through the middle but this seems big in hops to me which is good.

Mouthfeel: Prickly in the mouth, medium body with just the right amount of carbonation so that this is not flat or too fuzzy. A touch dry on the finish.

Drinkability: Got three bottles as part of a mixed 12 pack that I purchased. I am not a big enough of an IPA fan that I would make this a regular purchase, but if I was looking for a good IPA, I would gladly grab this again.

BigRedN, Sep 27, 2007

This brew pours a hazy amber-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is of grapefruit, with hints of citrus and pine. The taste is of like the aroma, but a little more intense. The aftertaste is nice and bitter, but not overly so. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a good IPA, and I would certainly drink this one again.

KarlHungus, Sep 10, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a deep amber shade into my pint glass covered with a spotty rather thin head. Smelly faintly of piney hops without much else detectable.

Tastes somewhat bitter with an interesting sweet malty finish. Nothing is dominant in the taste, but this does lead to a very agreeable and drinkable single IPA. It's leaving minor lacing on the glass as it goes, and it's going very easily. Possibly a good session beer...

Thanks to LeonTrotsky for sending this one over and I'm glad I got to try it.

bkett01, Aug 31, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Orange bodied beer with a tinge of red to it. Nice doily-like lacing up the sides and a soft filmy head. Citrusy hop odor, toasty malts behind it. hints of alcohol. Taste is tart, slightly astringent citrus. bitter, tart, but well balanced on the malt backbone. very tasty, a good drinking IPA.

aforbes10, Aug 16, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at Barclay's on College in Oakland. Poured a dark amber with a decent head and great lacing. The smell is citrusy hops and a light graininess against a slightly malty background. The taste is solid. Grapefruity hops, light wax flavor, apricot, and honeysuckle. Slightly sweet, but balanced. Good mouthfeel- decent body, but slightly on the watery side as far as mouthfeel goes, not flavor. Quite good. I could see that this would be heavenly after a day of hiking in Yellowstone.

Georgiabeer, Aug 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a nice amber to deep orange. Medium puffy, foamy head.
Moderate citrus nose, and to me, definitely pineapple or maybe even peach!
Great flavor. Still peachy, not overly-hoppy like some IPAs. A bit watery and dry in the finish but still quite drinkable.
Overall, a very nice beer. It might be a while 'til I throw this one back in the mix, but definitely worth a try.

surlyseth, Jul 20, 2007

I'd consider this a good beer and an IPA that would be a good starter for someone who has never sampled the style before. Deep-red amber color and lacing that sticks to the glass. The aroma and the taste go hand-in-hand -- floral, spicy and hoppy, but not overwhelming. The taste hides the higher alcohol content very well and made this one very drinkable and enjoyable.

WaveRebel51, Jul 20, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a reddish-amber with finger width head and nice lace. Looks tasty.

Smell the fruitiness and malt.

Quickly taste the malt and mild sweetness/fruitiness on the tongue then wham--get the bitter hop taste at the swallow.

Initial feel is smooth, then get the astringent kick. The bitterness is nice, but the beer just seems a bit off balance.

A decent IPA. The more I drink, though, the less I enjoy this one.

revolution, Jun 30, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Amber orange color, a little murky, with a white head of two fingers plus. Foam doesn't last a long time, but the lacing is great, leaving sticky globules all around the glass.

Prevalent citric fruity hop aroma with solid caramel malt backbone. The taste brings more of the same, excellently balanced between prominent and dominant hopping, while the malt behind is adequate to keep things in check and add sweetness to the flavor.

Very solid American IPA, in a crowded field this one doesn't stand out but is certainly better than the average.

BretSikkink, Jun 23, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

I've been disappointed by some other Big Sky beers: my view of this brewery is that they've chosen to grow through distributing everywhere rather than through the quality of their beers. This beer is making me rethink that assessment - it is quite good, and after my look with new )to me at least) IPAs these days, it is a pleasant surprise. This beer has a pleasant sweet-hop aroma, and a taste that is pleasantly sweet and nicely grassy. Definitely recommended.

Appearance is a dark copper red, with billowy white head remisicent of a Belgian strong ale. Aroma was my first clue that this was really going to be a pretty good beer...it was a very substantial hop sweetness. Flavor was good...very bitter yet nicely grassy at the same time. Mouthfeel was fairly dry and astringent...not sticky like some other sweet IPAs.

BeerBelcher, Jun 03, 2007