Cowboy Coffee Porter - Big Sky Brewing Company

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: jt31914 on 04-10-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
BowserBrew

Montana

4.63/5  rDev +24.5%

I am not a huge fan of Big Sky beer but their special releases are great, including this beer. It pours nice and dark with roasted espresso smell and taste. I am a huge fan of this beer and would recommend it to everyone. Even my friends that hate microbrews love this beer.

01-30-2011 23:54:07 | More by BowserBrew
rrski198

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%

Done from brief notes at a beer festival

A: Jet black and off red colored head. Decent bubbles.

S: Spent coffee and burnt malt. Mild malt sweetness is balanced nicely with the bitter coffee/chocolate scent.

T: Straight thin old coffee. Not much else to say.

M: Thin bitter burnt coffee. This style of porter would benefit from an increased body. Not a bad beer, but I need soemthing more here.

D: Not to shabby. I would buy again if I was iterested in an everyday porter, but it is a little to thin for something special.

01-30-2011 15:05:04 | More by rrski198
zhanson88

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: Cowboy Coffee pours a very dark brown --close to stout-looking-- color with about a finger of khaki head. Retention is really good, and lacing is good as well. I enjoy the hell out of rich, dark porters, and so far this one fits the bill very nicely. Great looking beer.

Smell: Lightly roasted malts and a good deal of coffee by far the strongest scents I pick up on. I do get some floral hops as well. I would say that the coffee scent is a bit on the acrid side, but not at all unpleasant.

Taste: Once again, lightly roasted dark malts and coffee make up a lot of the flavor in this beer, with some floral hops on the back end. I'd say that the coffee flavor does get a touch acrid, but nothing is a major turn-off on this one. It may be a bit one-dimensional but still, pretty good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Ah, mouthfeel shows up again in a Big Sky beer. In my opinion it's something that is a bit lacking in a lot of their brews. This beer is definitely light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation. Definitely light for the style. Overall, drinkability is pretty good. I enjoy the flavor of this beer quite a bit. It seems that there are some mixed feelings about it, but I would buy it again. I find it to be a pretty nice coffee-infused porter.

Edit: If you are going to drink this beer, go ahead and drink it at room temp. Either that, or don't be too quick to judge while it's cold. It does get a lot better as it warms.

01-29-2011 04:50:37 | More by zhanson88
leedorham

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

A - pours a very dark brown with a good size tan head. Nice sticky lacing. Very nice presentation.

S - Nose is of roasted grains, coffee, and burnt sugar. The aroma lingers well and stays until the end of the glass.

T - Carmelized sugar and roasted grains dominate the taste. Doesn't have as much coffee character as the name would suggest.

M - a bit of a metallic feel to the palate. Good carbonation level. Some viscosity.

D - A solid offering. The aroma is what's most appealing about this one. I'll likely buy again sometime.

01-27-2011 05:12:08 | More by leedorham
Beaver13

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -14%

12oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a medium creamy tan head that goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet lactic chocolate and vanilla with some coffee roast and a touch of smoke and ash.

The flavor is a little sweet chocolate with a lot of acidic stale coffee flavor. There's a decent amount of charred bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall, a decent coffee porter. The coffee flavors were a little stale to me and the charred bitterness was a little much. I preferred the Santa Fe coffee stout much more.

01-27-2011 01:45:32 | More by Beaver13
homebrew311

2.6/5  rDev -30.1%

A: pours a deep brown with some light passing through, thin white head with good retention, splotchy lacing

S: notes of molasses and cocoa, notes of coffee in the background, notes of dark fruits at the end

T: beer starts off with a ton of roasted malts, followed by a huge bitterness, presumably from the coffee. The coffee character is all bitter and doesn't seem to be doing any favors for this porter. The finish is sharp with a slighty metallic character.

MF: medium bodied, high carbonation. Leaves almost a chalky feeling on the palate.

D: I was intrigued by this brew, so I picked up a single. Glad I didn't grab the whole 6 pack. This beer is a little messy with a really dry and unpleasant finish. Will not be getting more of this.

01-26-2011 01:51:39 | More by homebrew311
FernMaster

Missouri

3.05/5  rDev -18%

On tap, poured into a pint glass.

I had this at the Flying Saucer in KC and by the time the glass got to me there wasn't any head and there was no lacing on the glass. I don't know, maybe it was sitting somewhere for a minute or two before it got to me (doubt it, service is good there) but even if that's the case that doesn't speak highly of the beer. Cowboy Coffee itself, looked the role of the porter. Dark, pitch black. Someone with the Fop Rule couldn't drink this beer (meaning light can't be shone through it).

The smell for this beer is close to everything I want in a porter. It screams to be paired with BBQ as there's a big bold smoke flavor present in the nose. I would have liked the coffee to be more prevalent, but the coffee and chocolate was there in small quantities. The smoke came through the most and it smelled really nice.

The nose didn't lie to what the flavor of the beer was going to be. BIG smoke flavor and some moderate chocolate and coffee components. A little bitter roasted malts could be found, if there were hops I couldn't notice them. I think the flavor of this beer is just okay, not great just okay. The smoke was just way, way to overbearing for my palate. I'm from Kansas City, I'm a man who likes his smoke. I smell smoke while driving and I smile thinking that someone is enjoying a damn good piece of meat somewhere. I smell smoke and salivate. However, I wouldn't salivate if the woods near me were on fire, I would then be a little concerned. Cowboy Coffee from Big Sky is a beer with its woods on fire.

The mouthfeel is very nice. It's a good big body to up hold the amount of California wildfire smoke they crammed in this beer. And it drinks well, it could have drank better but that's the smokes fault. I like this beer, I think it's okay, but I don't EVER see me picking this up over a Bully! Porter.

01-25-2011 00:42:15 | More by FernMaster
jsh420

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

pours black reddish brown with a 1 finger tan head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells like a cup of coffee with a little bit of chocolate

taste was ok - the coffee tastes a little off to me? plenty of cocoa and burnt malts

mouthfeel was a light/medium body with plenty of carbonation maybe a little too much

drinkability is so so - there are too many other porters or stouts with coffee that i would drink over this

01-24-2011 22:27:07 | More by jsh420
nickadams2

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

A_Pours black with dark reddish brown highlights. Thick brown head that lasts for about a second then dissipates.Not much lacing.

S_Espresso ,caramel and chocolate with a touch of nuttiness. Smells pretty good.

T_Same as nose. Rich espresso with a creamy sweetness to it. Caramel and chocolate come to mind. Nice nutty finish.

M_Medium bodied and well carbonated.

D_Easily could drink alot of these.

Had this on tap and appearance and mouthfeel were much better. Definitely worth a try though. Really tasty.

01-23-2011 03:38:47 | More by nickadams2
TheBear11D

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz

Pours a very dark brown to black color with a thick dark brown head that slowly looked foamy as it slowly dissipated and had plenty of lacing.

Smells pretty strongly of coffee and espresso with white chocolate also present. Has smokey oak notes as well.

Very smokey flavor with hints of coffee and espresso. A few sips in reveals pine. The bitterness of the coffee hangs on just a bit into the aftertaste.

Medium body with a fizz that builds into the aftertaste.

I could see myself having a few of these in a single setting and revisiting this would be a treat.

01-22-2011 23:58:10 | More by TheBear11D
bsp77

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Pitch black with moderate tan head and some nice lacing.

Smell: Somewhat sweet chocolate and coffee, with roasted barley and molasses.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee and molasses round out the roasted malt body. Ends with a nice level of bitterness from both the roasted malts and hops. Not as much coffee as I would expect, as some standard Porters and Stouts can attain this much coffee flavor without additions. Still, pretty well executed.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body with a dry finish. Just a trifle thin.

Drinkability: Overall, a pretty good Porter. I have some minor concerns about the quality and/or quantity of coffee used, but it all came out alright.

01-19-2011 22:11:16 | More by bsp77
barleywinefiend

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Poured a dark brown with good carbonation and a dirty white cap

S: Some coffee, roasted malts mainly

T: The taste has a light Folgers caffeinated coffe taste to it. It is backed by toasted malt, cocoa hints

M: Well carbonated, no major issues

D: pretty decent drink all the way around, noit bad, not great but drinkable

01-17-2011 04:21:01 | More by barleywinefiend
philbertk

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Big Sky Brewing Company--Cowboy Coffee Porter--Limited Release--2011 12 oz. Bottle. 6.20% ABV. 32 IBU's? (3.75 / 5.0) Lacy lasting dense creamy espresso head. Thick Pour. Clear dark bronze opaque dark black color. Big roasted coffee mild hop front. Dry mild creamy sweet crusty burnt biscuit espresso cocoa dark fruit hint malty Porter body. Clean dry mild hop balanced end. Good if not exceptional. Sampled 1/11/2011. 6- Pack purchased for $7.99 @ Fred Meyer--Ballard, Seattle on 1/7/2011.

01-15-2011 05:27:52 | More by philbertk
landrewg

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

I had to make this my first review because I had it on tap at Uptown Grill this weekend, loved it, came to BA to find out where to get it and saw these two bad reviews. I think they might have had a bad keg at Hopcat. It came with a very creamy look and a mild aroma of coffee. Taste is smooth and delicious. Could drink a few of these with no problem.

06-07-2010 20:21:49 | More by landrewg
tpd975

2.68/5  rDev -28%

On tap at hopcat.

A: pours a dark brown almost black with a rather small tan head. No real retention or lace noted.

S: Aromas of light roasted malt, cheap truck stop coffee, and chocolate malt.

T: Taste even less appealing than the aroma. Light roasted malt with very subtle chocolate. Hints of coffee, but not the fresh kind. To describe it I would say watered down cheap coffee with a hint of crushed malt. Nothing really melds, hell there is very little flavor here to be honest.

M: Light, watery.

D: Forgettable. I have already forgot I consumed this one.

04-11-2010 21:27:30 | More by tpd975
jt31914

2.55/5  rDev -31.5%

On tap at Hopcat:

A: Dark brown with little to no head and good lacing.

S: Weak coffee and dark malt, very typical of a coffee porter. Not as much as I would like.

T: Similar to smell with creamy coffee. Gets worse as it warms unfortunately; a little watery but not bad overall.

M/D: A little too bubbly but pretty drinkable.

Not a great beer.