Stone Thrower Scotch Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.70% ABV

Previously called "Heavy Horse Scotch Ale"

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 09-11-2010)
Reviews by SpecialK088:
3.05/5  rDev -18.4%

Had this at the mud lounge on tap

A-good deep amber color. No real head or lacing to it but that's not a huge surprise.

S-not alot at all going on in the nose. Get some very feint dark fruit notes as well as some light malty ones

T-while a pretty complex beer in flavor I felt they kinda wiffed on the style. It was Slightly roasty when you very first take a drink then right after that I got a very small hint of the scotch ale and the middle and finish were more like an over hopped brown ale.

M-fairly thin bodied not quite watery but just above. Slightly oily feeling

Overall it was an alright beer. Had a very bitter hoppy finish for a scotch ale I think reviewing it style in mind was what brought my grade down had I not known this was a scotch ale I probably would not have been able to tell you it was.

SpecialK088, Apr 18, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Served from a growler off of a keg thanks to the brewmaster. I think it's about 6.2%.

A nice reddish brown color with a thin, tan head that stays a fine layer on top of the beer.

The taste and aroma has a lot of bready malt and dried fruit characteristics with a slightly bitter finish. Simple, great, food beer. It has a medium body with soft carbonation.

brownbeer, Mar 31, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -19%

12oz bottle. Pours a copper brown with a medium light tan head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is subdued - peaty caramel malts with a little fruit and perfume.

The flavor is sweet caramel/toffee malts and a touch of fruit with some smoky peat and a dry lightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, a solid Scotch ale - not my favorite style.

Beaver13, Nov 12, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Glad to see a new Big Sky beer in Texas.

The beer pours a clear, deep red color with a tan head. A great looking beer. The aroma is very malty with a lot of toffee and caramel malt. I also get some dark fruit and a little bit of peet smoke. The flavor is also extremely malty. I get toffee, caramel, chocolate, dark fruit, cream, a little smoke and a little alcohol. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Oct 04, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Darker, amber color...smell of barley, a little bitter smell, it just smells like a dark beer.

Its taste is...montana...after taste lingers for a while; a little bitter

Strong...like 6.7%

Its good, but i won't buy it again when I have other Big Sky options available

chadjulius, Sep 20, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass. Best by date of June 22, 2011.

Appearance: Clear mahogany with an almost yellow head.

Smell: Caramel, toffee, and cherry are fairly strong. Some floral, spicy and metallic English hops. Smells more like a English Strong Ale than a Scotch Ale.

Taste: Fairly sweet with loads of caramel and dark fruits such as cherry, figs and raisins. Not as much hops as noted in the smell, just a light spicy and metallic finish. Straddles the line of cloying, but somehow the flavor profile works for me.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, odd finish. Since I did not knock the Taste score for almost being cloying, I while knock the Feel score for the residual sweetness.

Overall: Pretty good Scotch Ale. A little sweet and the finish and aroma is a little odd, but for some reason I simply like the taste. Isn't that good enough?

bsp77, Apr 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from an inch or so above the glass leaves a nice big light brown head that settles into a pretty decent lacing above a clear dark burnt reddish colored beer.

Butterscotch, and roasted caramelized malt aroma with a slight alcohol hint aroma is transfer to the taste just about the same, maybe a touch more alcohol in the taste.

The aftertaste of this medium bodied ale is a light dry with hints of alcohol, I was pretty pleased with this beer, you should check it out if given the opportunity.

LXIXME, Aug 19, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Light brown...

Smells Like a certain brown cylindrical chocolate candy with cream in the middle. You know the one everyone throws into little kids orange buckets when they scream, "Trick or Treat!"

Well yes they did give us something good to eat! This is a good tasting beer. A lil hot. A lil sweet but not as cloying as I was expecting. I was expecting smoky, but if it's here it's hidden by the sweet malt. It's not at all unlike eating a toffee bar albeit one that has had a coating of hop pieces.

This is silken chocolate rolls...

Goes down way to easy for the type and style. This one could get you into trouble. Easy does it. I had to kept reminding myself this beer is called "Heavy Horse" for a reason!

CamuMahubah, Sep 16, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance - Pours a deep ruby brown with a 2 finger head, decent retention, and the resulting lace is thin and semi-sticky.

Smell - Lots of sweet caramel and toffee on the nose, the kind usually reserved for English bitters.

Taste - Sweet and sugary esters take the form of sweet toffee with notes of caramel. Hops are near undetectable. Sip after sip, it's unbalanced richness tends to get too sweet to enjoy.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Carbonation is a bit on the low side.

Overall - Very rich. Anyone trying to session this might find themselves regretting their decision after the first beer or two. Consider this a one off dessert beer.

TheSixthRing, May 21, 2012

jheezee, Mar 16, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours chestnut/brown with a pinky of tan head. Bellow average head retention & lacing

S: Faint plummyness & some leafy hops, more fruittyness at the end...

T: Figs, slight cherry flavor & toffee up front, along with dryness & abit of brown sugar. Much sweet maltyness with caramel && figgy notes dominating as this warms, along a subtle smokeyness/peat/tanin flavor. Finishes sooo dry, figgy with slight peat notes

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation, becomes chewier once warm

Pretty easy drinker, but there's just not enough here to get too excited about. I expected more from Big Sky

russpowell, Oct 02, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

I was drinking another beer and my wife was drinking this. I switched over on my second.

The color was pleasing like a brown ale with a hint of amber when held to the light. The taste was complex with malts and subtle hops finishing with a little nutty flavor. We get plenty of Big Sky beers in the store here (5 flavors), but not the scotch ale- and I am going to have to find out where to get me some because it is easily my favorite to date.

Glibber, Oct 25, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

Clear crimson color with one finger of head that had decent retention before settling to a thin cap. Quite a bit of spotty lacing is left on the glass. Aroma of caramel with notes of peat with some grassy hops. Flavor is caramel with a hint of peat and smoke. Just a little grassy near the finish. Seems very dry for a Scotch Ale. Nothing terrible about the flavor but there is very little to make one excited. Body seems a little thin for the style as well but has nice carbonation. Easy drinking beer which is a little dangerous considering the ABV. Nothing really to savor to slow consumption. I expected something better from Big Sky.

morimech, Nov 06, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

tourdot, Apr 29, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

best by 01-05-11

pours bright dark ruby brown with a 2+ finger head that left spotted lacing

smells of dark fruit and sugary caramel malts

taste is like the nose - i dont pick up on any scotch flavors - i taste more burnt malts and some tang of some pale malts hidden away

mouthfeel has a medium body with plenty of carbonation that give it a crispand creamy feel with a great dry finish

drinkability - now i am not one for this style but this is a beer i would want the next time i grill up a fat ribeye

jsh420, Oct 31, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a bottle into the snifter a nice reddish brown with a tan head that crowned well after dissipating. Also left some good lacing. Smelled very much like a scotch ale should with good malts and a little of the peatiness expected. Taste was much the same with good maltiness and peaty taste. Feel is smooth and lightly carbonated. Overall a good scotch ale that i will pick up again.

jacobseyb, Oct 10, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic. 6.7% ABV, 237102, 231210 printed on the bottle stacked on the neck.

A - Heavy Horse pours with a gorgeous bronzed ruby mahogany color with perfect clarity and is topped off by an incredible dense khaki head. Great retention despite no carbonation bubbles through the beer and thick, Swiss-cheese-like lace caked to the glass. Perfection is appearance.

S - Heavy Horse has a classic aroma of toasted malt with notes of caramel, toffee, and a pinch of nuttiness but is hindered by a dry, strong mineral finish.

T - Malt driven with very tasty toffee notes playing with gooey caramel and a dense breadiness. A lingering sweetness with underlying nuttiness is golden here. The mineral flavor barley comes through.

M - Medium-bodied and very smooth with a slick finish that's only held back by a seemingly absent, (in reality, it's just low) carbonation level.

D - A slow starting but powerful horse this beer is, Heavy Horse certainly pulls it's weight. Tasty and absolutely gorgeous, it's not a perfect brew, but it's a treat of a scotch ale nonetheless.

BeerFMAndy, Mar 14, 2011

A new bottled offering from Big Sky... Cool. Picked up on the way home from work at Brewforia.

Poured into my Old Guardian goblet... 2 finger lite tan head... good retention and great lacing... the brew is a polished deeeep amber.

Nose shows good maltiness with pretty pronounced caramel... earthy... dark toast...

Flavor is more rich than I was expecting from Big Sky (I'm not a Big Sky hater, it's just the truth)... good expected elements... rich malts... caramel combines well with some minor and hard to identify fruity esters (I will guess plummy?)... a bit of "black tea like" tannins on the finish that meshes well with the residual maltiness.

Pretty standard body with a medium carbonation.

Good.... pretty good... I always have a hard time with Scottish style beers and feel like I undervalue them, but this is pretty good and a nice contemplative sipper if you take your time on the glass.

4/4/4/4/4

JohnGalt1, Sep 11, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -7%

Review from 4/2011 notes. Poured into a Black Raven pint glass. Pours a dark red amber. Slight head, but some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt, caramel and slight dark fruit. Flavor starts as with sweet and caramel malt some dark fruit, somewhat nutty. Finish is a bit dry and sour with a little bit of hop kick. Initial flavors are nice, but the finish is not great. There are better Scotch ales out there

LiquidAmber, Mar 22, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

caramel in color with a light tan head on top that reached a height of around an inch before fading and leaving the top of the glass mostly bare. Light lacing on the sides as well. Aroma was spectacular. Rich notes of caramel and toffee, oozing with butterscotch and sweet herbal notes. Light hint of a boozy alcohol touch to it at well, but it played out quite nicely. The first sip made me fall back in my chair. Simply brilliant. Rich butterscotch and toffee flavors roll across the tongue. Enormously sweet like a wonderful piece of hard candy, each sip seemed more compelling then the one before it. Sublime. Nice herbal hop notes playing it up quite well and the smooth, delicate caramel finish with a light touch of booziness is just what the doctor ordered

mikesgroove, Sep 18, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

I picked this up at the Fairfield Bevmo a while ago.

Appearance- brownish color, thick foamy head

Smell- malt, caramel, toffee

Taste- very similar to smell, malt, caramel, toffee

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- Overall I thought it was a pretty good scotch ale.

jeffjeff1, Dec 22, 2010

Another6Pack, Nov 26, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

warpedrevolution, Sep 19, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

I picked up a bottle of Big Sky's Heavy Horse Scotch Ale last month for $1.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been drinking a lot of Dirty Bastard's lately and I thought I would switch it up and try Big Sky's example of the style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's a spring 2012 release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it had a nice scene of a horse towing some lumber up a dirt road, I like it. It poured a darker brown color that took on a nice bright copper/ruby red color with three fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This is a good looking Scotch Ale, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of malts that have a higher amount of medium sweetness and impart some some grainy, brown bread, medium roast, and a slightly smokey aroma. After that comes a good amount of sweet dark fruits with raisins and plums sticking out the most. Next comes some more grainy and bready aromas and a really slight alcohol aroma. This is a proper smelling Scotch Ale, it has all the aromas that I look for in the style.

T- The flavor seems to be bland and muted compared to the aroma. It starts out with a pretty large amount of malts that seem to dominate the flavor of this beer, they have much lighter amount of sweetness then the aroma led me to believe, and it imparted some grainy, brown and white bread, along with a light toasted flavor. Wheres the dark fruits that I got in the aroma. I found the taste to be unimpressive, I wish it was much more like the aroma, it was pretty one note and bland.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either, it needed to be thicker.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I though that it was a little below average for the style. The look and the aroma were going in the right direction but when it got to the taste it really fizzled out and left me wanting much more. This beer had OK drinkability, it went down smooth, but the flavor was pretty bland and it couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me and I'm ready to move onto something with more flavor. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were both were they should be for the style. What I liked least about this beer was the flavor, it seems like all the nice things I picked up in the aroma never made it's way to the taste and that really hurt this beer. This beer was priced well but the lackluster taste really holds this beer back and I would much rather have a Dirty Bastard, I can't say that I would recommend this beer. I find Big Sky to be a pretty solid brewery, but I was a little let down with beer as it really didn't deliver when it came to the flavor, you guys make some good and solid beers, it's too bad this is not one of them, better luck next time, looks like I'm back to the Dirty Bastard's.

StoutHunter, May 10, 2012