Troublette - Brasserie Caracole

TroubletteTroublette

Brasserie Caracole visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Troublette Alström Bros

4.88/5  rDev +22.3%

Look out Hoegaarden there is a new white beer. Troublette is exceptional. A pale yellow appearance with a nice white head with a taste of coriander and a slight peppery taste. Nice body that makes this beer easy to drink.

4.85/5  rDev +21.6%

Nice slim little Belgian bottle. WHITE beer. Whiter than Hoegaarden, possibly? Excellent head & head retention. I am impressed.

Wow, the scent is powerful. I wouldnt really know exactly what to compare it to. Its earthy, yeasty, rich, and citrusy. I continue to be impressed.

GREAT tasting. Carbonation hits you first, then it quickly mellows out in the middle, and on the finish is a lemony burst. Wow.

Mouthfeel is excellent and stands tall with the taste. Perhaps a touch less carbonation would be nice, but its no big deal, and really just a matter of personal taste.

What a great whitbier. I will keep an eye out for it again, but I dont know if I will see it, as I got this in NC and I live in MD.

4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

The first time I had this bier it was 3 euro’s or so in Brussels. The second time it was almost $8…I paid it!
This is an excellent White. I’d suggest not disturbing the bottle since the yeast is quite heavy and isn’t appreciated as much as in some whites. The beer has a classic Belgium head nice and thick. The nose has fruit and spices that could make a grand cru jealous. The taste is crisp and clean with the spices taking a back seat to the fruitiness but it’s not overpowering. I just wish I could find this more often.

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours out a cloudy lemonade with tons of carbonation dancing around the glass. Huge head that makes plateau-like formations at the top and leaves thick, clingy lacing. Coriander and citrus peel hit the nose up front. The spicing has a clean aroma that I don't find in most wits. Some funky belgian yeast and wheat also is quite apparent. The yeast has a kind of musty smell to it, yet it manages to have a cleanness to it as well. Just as the aroma, the overall flavor is very bright and clean without lacking any complexities. Big wheat flavor takes over in the mouth and the more subtle spicing I get lends an almost hefeweizen like quality to the wheat presence. That's not to say the spices are totally ousted. The form a solid accent to the wheat body. Yeast is present as well and gives it some funk. I also pick up a somewhat woody flavor in this beer. Finishes slightly tart, very bright, dry and clean. I guess a lot of that carbonation left the beer as I was waiting for the huge head to come down. Good enough carbonation, but it could've been better. Light body. This beer is the best of both worlds: extremely interesting in the flavor profile and refreshing. Very drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

First off, beautiful label on this Belgian brew. OUt of the bottle into a tulip

App: Golden and light, very air with lots off bubbles. Enticing, thick, frothy head. Almost like whipped vanilla ice cream.

Smell: Like the breeze in a spring valley. Fresh cut wheat, coriander, citrus zest and a little hoppier on the nose than I expected but a pleasant surprise.

Taste: Nice, malty start, crisp and tantalizing. Hops are perfect background music for the wheaty malts and summery tones. Orange peel, white pepper, its like drinking sunshine.

Mouthfeel: Light and effervescent. Perfect in its simplicity on the palate.

Drinkabilty: Through the roof at 5.5%. I would and want to session this. Paired great with pasta but would stand alone with no problem. Sorry Germany, but this quaint little Belgian brewery make my favorite wheat beer as of now.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.5 oz little brown bottle. The label depicts a snail sitting on a lily pad sipping water. I have no idea why or what that means.

Cloudy golden color, with a fluffy, creamy full white head. Yeasty sediment adds a little cloudy yellow character to it. Initial smells are very in character for a belgian wit. Then a snappy spice kick of coriander and orange zest kick in. Taste is both spicy and citrus dominated, no florals which is fine by me. Another bitter orange taste zips by at the finish. More citus and orange taste than any other wit I have had. Even bodied, very balanced and full. Not watery at all. A zesty tart lip puckering finish. Very crisp, dry and refreshing. Particles end in the bottom of the glass but add to the flavor. Overall an exception wit, every bit as good as Hoeggarden.
$2.99 an 11.5 oz bottle, it should be good. Try it if you find it.

4.63/5  rDev +16%

The Summer Sessions
Drinking to cool the liver
Reap Belgian harvests

This is one of the most amazing wheat beers that I've had. Since I'm denied my Oberon this summer (unless I can make another clandestine trip out of state), this is definitely a worthy substitute. This is hazy and thick, like you'd expect from a true wheat beer, with citrusy, yeasty tastes. The mad Belgians continue to impress me.

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

750ml caged and corked bottle that had no date marked on the bottle, but the cork read 01 2002. Poured a translucent golden yellow color with a vibrant cloud white head that was a finger thick. This is some of the best head that I’ve seen in a while, but we won’t talk about her…. Smells of light fruit, pears, and perhaps champagne/vinous like in aroma. The taste was a little tart, lemon and granny smith with very faint spice. Yeasty flavors come through slightly and this is incredibly clean and crisp. Afterwards I’m not really sure if I just drank a beer, because this finishes so clean. Unbelievable drinkability, alcohol content isn’t even noticeable. Thin mouthfeel that is complimented by a perfect carbonation.
As a self-proclaimed hophead, this artisanal Belgian wheat ale blew me away. I can’t wait to have this again and sample similar examples of this style.

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a hefe glass - I must have forgotten that I was pouring a witbier, because my pour was all head. Geez, it's going to take forever for this to go down so I can drink it. OK, I see some pale gold liquid, but this is one large, soapy head.

Smell - oh yeah, this is a witbier for sure. Sour wheat mash...fruity, and definitely spicy.

Taste - whoa. crisp and very fruity, with orange-lemon-banana flavors all over the place hovering over a strong, yeasty wheat. Well-spiced with coriander, too. Finishes semi-dry but does hint at some sweetness. I really like this.

Mouthfeel - devilishly carbonated with a nice pop, as you might expect, but it doesn't really beat your mouth into submission.

Drinkability - I honestly can't see this getting old. Good complexity and low alcohol. I'd seen this on the shelves many times, but never thought to try it. My apologies to the Brasserie Caracole for taking so long - this is a great wit. Next time I'm trying it from the 750ml bottle, this is serious witbier.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

750 ml corked bottle. Poured into a large mug.

A: Slightly hazy and light golden-orange in color. Huge, bubbly white head retained and laced very nicely.

S: Pleasant, dry yeast aromas hit first, followed by a bevvy of spices and citrus zest. Phenols and clove start to come out as well. Pretty strong nose overall.

T: Taste starts with a dominant, bready yeast backbone. Then come the spices (clove, coriander and a little white pepper) and hints of orange and lemon zest. Becomes increasingly fruity as it warms, but not too much. Very nicely blended and balanced.

M: Heavier side of light-bodied and very well-carbonated. Finishes clean and a bit dry.

D: At 5% alcohol, this is a solid choice for a session witbier. It's complexity will also interest those who prefer to sip.

This is quite simply a fantastic beer. I'm glad I bought the big bottle. So much going on in the taste. Beautiful finish and not bad to look at, either. Even if you don't like this style much, I would certainly recommend that you sample this at least once. I will surely buy this again, especially to bring to my next party. It's sure to impress!

4.55/5  rDev +14%

Hazy golden yellow in hue, topped by a fluffy and thick perfectly white head that leaves sparse lace. The aroma is a melange of tart lemony citrus, spicy coriander and lightly grainy wheat w/ hints of clove. The flavor profile is a extension of the aroma, being comprised of tart fruit upfront giving way to dried orange peel bitterness and a perfumy sweetness. Well calculated used of coriander sets the background. Crisp and light in body, but w/ ample wheat protein for a smooth, agreeable mouthfeel. Finishes dry and clean, w/ a hint of clove briefly lingering. Troublette is a superb balance of spice and mellow, refined sweetness. An outstanding Wit with superlative drinkability.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Presentation: 11.2 oz slender brown bottle, on the label has a picture of a snail on a lily pad. No freshness date. Thin layer of off white yeast sediment on the bottle of the bottle was swirled into the brew and decanted in the glass.

Appearance: Densely clouded yellow colour, active carbonation that forms and holds a healthy white lace.

Smell: Evident coriander in the aroma, big on fruitiness and yeast as well. Slightly peppery with suggestions of lemon and orange peel.

Taste: Unbelievably crisp with a slightly slick and flowing mouth feel, moderate body that holds together nicely. A bit coarse upfront with grain and husk followed by a semi-hard carbonation and yeast bite, softens a bit with spicy flavour of coriander and citric peel. Fruity with faint alcoholic ester, trace fruity flavours give a vagueness of ripe pears and mangoes. Hops are meek and only add to balance, touch of wheat malt sweetness in the beginning yet really dries up especially in the finish.

Notes: This is the real stuff, not to say that American brewers don’t do this style justice but they seem too sweet sometimes. This one on the other hand is what a Belgian Wit is supposed to be; dry and yeasty, fruity and spicy with flavours all over the place.

Troublette from Brasserie Caracole