Troublette - Brasserie Caracole

TroubletteTroublette

Brasserie Caracole visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Troublette Alström Bros
1.48/5  rDev -62.8%

I purchased this at the Sandy Butler deli in Fort Myers, Florida.

Appearance: Poured a pale yellow with a vigorous three fingered head that quickly dissipated.

Smell: Slight yeasty aroma without much else present.

Taste: Sour without being hoppy. Very bitter on the tongue. Very unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick or thin. Bad taste overpowered everything else.

Drinkability: Bad taste made this undrinkable. I poured it out.

Given the other positive reviews, I wonder if I got a bad bottle. This beer reminded me of an Anchor Small Beer or a Miller Light I once sampled.

captenaj, Feb 17, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -56.5%

Caged and corked bottle. Poured into a clean weizen. Pale, pale yellow with a very large head on top. Smells like some spice, lots of lemons. The taste is lemons, very tart, too tart for my taste. I tried drinking this, but just couldn't do it. Utter waste, maybe I just hate wheat.

HoboAGoGo, May 18, 2005

Cork Dated 01-2002. This brew had an invigorating head of small to large white bubbles and little lacing. Its body is a cloudy weak watered down pee color that has carbonation rising up the side of the glass. It tastes fizzy and has no initial or after bite. It was a drinkable beer to start the evening off with but not much more. Hotstuff got the burps after just a half a glass.

TheDM, Jul 12, 2003
2.17/5  rDev -45.5%

Is this beer supposed to make my tongue burn? I was already a bit negative just from the smell, but I trudged on.

It poured simple enough with a respectable head that dissipated quickly leaving a slight rim lace on my glass. It is a nice lemon-orange color with an opaque murkiness.

The phenolic smell of this brew should have been my first warning sign. The slight smell of iodine mixed with spices was odd at best.

The taste was like that of most wheat beers with a balance of tart sweetness. It finished clean with no aftertaste. Grassy florals also filled my taste buds.

The mouthfeel was as odd as the smell, with it's high carbonation and odd flavor left my tongue burning for several minutes. Not fun. Could be the medicinal feel of this beer?

If I based this review on my mouth's reaction to this beer, I wouldn't drink again. However, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that I might have gotten a bad bottle and might try again.

Guinness4me, Oct 18, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

dfaranha, Jan 25, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

A - Very strange...dense, cloudy, murky, but not the usual pale yellow/whitish color, more like a light dunkelweizen. Brown and yellow; looks like lake water. However, nice 3 finger head with moderate to short retention. No lacing.

S - This smells like some kind of orange juice-based cocktail. Strong orange element with an almost phenolic edge. Where's the coriander? Where's the wheat? Chalky yeast backs the abundance of orange juice.

T - Yuck, not a witbier at all. Strong spoiled orange juice taste with a slight hint of spice in the background, though I'd never identify it as coriander. White pepper, maybe, with chalky yeast notes from the nose. Quite sweet with a touch of sourness in the finish.

M - Very thick for a witbier, leaning towards the high end of medium bodied. Carbonation is ample but can't stand up to the body. This stuff needs a good dose of crispness.

D - I like witbiers, or so I though, but this is just too focused on the citrus. It's not even orange peel, rather orange juice. I always love the coriander element of this style and this beer is all but baren of said spice element. Almost sickening sweet, orangey, and thick.

PatrickJR, Oct 15, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -32.7%

A witbier, it appeared a pale golden-yellow hay with plenty of visible carbonation despite being quite hazy. It held a lovely creamy white head all the way through the drink and left thick sheets of sticky lacing along the inside of the cup. Unfortunately, this was where I stopped enjoying it, as the smell was quite medicinal and sweet. Behind the odd mixture of sour orange peel and sweet wheats, there were a few light oats and a perfumey coriander, but even before I tasted it, it smelled sickly thick. Taking a cautious sip, I found the texture to be almost waxy with the foamy head obstructing my tongue from the liquid underneath, it really interfered with the mouthfeel and made it seem thicker than it probably was. The medicinal sweetness was present again in the flavor, followed by a flighty fruity acidity, sour orange peel, and lots of thick wheat. Maybe it was just the plastic cup, but due to the foam, and despite the visible bubbles, it tasted flat and syrupy. I'm sure with the right glassware, this beer is a delight, and having tried a few witbiers and enjoying them, I can't imagine this is that much different from the others, I just need to try it under different circumstances. So I'm not writing this one off, I'm just going to have to try it again later.

Lucklys, Dec 01, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I was watching "The Thirsty Traveler" last night because they were covering Belgian beers. During the show they talked with the brewers at Brasserie Caracole and later I spotted a bottle of Troublette. I suddenly remembered I had an 11.2oz bottle in my fridge and decided the time was right to give it a try. I pulled it out, checked for a freshness date (there wasn't one), and popped the cap.
Poured into a pint glass, I was rewarded with a slightly cloudy lemon colored beer that had a white head that nova'd and collapsed into a tiny ring. Not the way I've seen witbiers behave and not all that attractive.
The nose had a dusty malt aroma and a definitive apple cider note. Missing was the floral, perfumey aroma and lemon zest notes I've come to associate with witbiers. Again, not all that attractive.
The taste had all the hallmarks of apple cider while virtually no traits attributable to a wit. Real fruity sweetness, tons of apple and sugars. Touch of earthy malt and dusty yeast. Vaguest notion of spices and finishing with a resounding tartness. The feel was light, dry and tart, just like cider.
I was encouraged to seek this beer out while in Boston and got it while there. To say Troublette was a disappointment is a bit of an understatement. Cider, yes. Witbier, no. I'll try it again some day but I'll go in with vastly reduced expectations.

Boilermaker88, Jul 17, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

Cork dated 01-2000.When poured, this beer had a large white head that contained small-large sized bubbles.The body contained carbonation and it was cloudy and the hue reminded me of urine.The nose was citrusy and fruity.This beer left no lacing.It did however leave an aftertaste along with a slight bitter taste.Not a beer high on my list.

hotstuff, Jul 24, 2003

Appearance: Cloudy; pear colored body with a good-sized head

Aroma: Citrusy notes (lemon); slightly hoppy

Taste: Tart on the start; tangy lemon hit in the mid; finishes slightly dry; ok beer overall, but not my favorite. Not much of a beer flavor.

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

IchLiebeBier, Jun 16, 2013

Note: 2001 Vintage

Appearance:

A mostly clear golden yellow (slighly hazy) with good carbonation, but little to no head.

Smell:

Citrus and honey with yeasty characters overwhelm your nostrils when sniffing this one.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Sharp and somewhat bitter with definite citrus characteristics. Too bubbly on the tongue with a bitter finish that leaves none of the sweetness hinted at in the aroma.

cbl2, Jun 29, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

Head is monstrous, white, bubbly, crusty. Beer is pale, clear gold, tons of carbonation; cloudy yeast pour. Spicy, sour nose. Sweet, spicy, crab apple front shows some pepper. Moves straight to a dry, bitter finish. Not much else. This is a very dry beer. Refreshing, but a little plain. I like the fact that it's not too sweet, but a little more flavor would have been welcome.

kbub6f, Nov 21, 2003
3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

I was surprised at having no “troubles” finding Troublette in South Dakota. The pour is cloudy golden amber color with a frothy head. I noted that the foam bubbles were larger then typical foam. Not much lacing but the retention was good lasting through the whole tasting.

The smell has a strong citrus odor to it. It seems to overpower the beer altogether. Hints of Belgium yeast and some spices, coriander and orange, are in the background.

The taste continues with a tart and lemony zest. A touch of chamomile as well. Not much of the malt backing and the spiceness isn’t existent either. Really this is over balanced for a wit. I slight dry finish, this to me is more along the lines of a gueze but not quiet fruity enough.

The body is light with a high carbonation. The citrus aftertaste hangs around and I notice a strong taste on my lips. I guess I had a troubles with this one but still a unique beer.

Oxymoron, Mar 21, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Purchased single 11.2 oz bottle on sale from my local beer store.

Label artwork depicts a timid looking snail peering into light blue water, apparently beholding his own shadow. It is an interesting design, and not sure what it's supposed to mean.

Troublette pours a nice hazy light-orange color with a full 1/2 inch head. Like the best beers of this style, this presentation reminds me of a slow-paced, sunny summer day in need of a nice refreshing wit.

Smell is crisp and tart. Wheat is present, but not terribly fresh. It is dominated by the smell of sour lemons and a hint of orange. A bit astringent on the nose.

Taste again is overly tart. The lemon pull overwhelms refreshing wheat taste that usually marks the outstanding beers of the style. No balance to speak of.

On the palate, Troublette has a decent presence. A pretty full-bodied beer for the style. Bitter presence makes it notable. Medium carbonation.

Is this beer drinkable? Yes, but it is nowhere near the best of the category. Wondering if I've gotten an outdated bottle (no freshness date to speak of on the bottle) and that is why this beer was discounted. Not a bad beer. But there are bette options to quaff on a sultry summer day.

macpapi, May 08, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

Aroma: Fresh fruit smells, lemon & banana, on a peppery Belgian yeast
Appearance: Massive fluffy white head settled down to a finger fed by heavy carbonation. It had a bright clear deep yellow with a tinge of orange until I decanted the yeast about halfway through the beer. The yeast left a perceptual cloud in the beer. Thick sheets of lace quickly draped down the sides with each taste.
Flavor: Light wheat malt base is accented by a lemon pepper. It’s odd, deep in there, I swear this is not an insult; I get a taste of Budweiser or some other macrobeer.
Mouthfeel: Spritzy, very carbonated and very light body. It feels lighter than water, almost foamy with a slight numbing of the gums.
Overall Impression: Very light with some classic Belgian flavors, but not much of a wit in my opinion. I think of wits as being much more acidic, but this has many other wit qualities; fruity, dry, spicy, and well carbonated. I’m not getting much coriander out of this sample. All I know from wits is what Celis has taught me. I knew Celis White, and you sir are no Celis White! Having got that off my chest, this beer has some good qualities, just not enough punch to satisfy.

HardTarget, Jun 11, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle: Poured a quite clear golden beer with a huge thick foamy head with good retention. Aroma was midly sweet probably from orange peels that were added to this beer. Taste was quite refreshing with again some sweetness (apricot?) and some wheat. Carbonation was OK and body a bit thinner then expected. Overall, this is not a bad wit but could be a bit more balanced with less of the wheat taste.

Phyl21ca, Jul 12, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, corked. Poured into a goblet-style glass.

Appearance: A very light, thin yellow color with a low rising fog of head.

Smell: Has a sweet, sugary odor mixed with a potent wheat aroma. The wheatiness dies off after the beer has time to breath.

Taste: Flavor is very sweet, like the smell. The body is really light and ariy. Honestly, its strikingly sweet - so sugary that 750 was too much for one person. I got sweeted out.

Overall, this would make a good dessert beer if paired with some some sharp cheese or fresh fruit. Best split between two people. Probably good for lunch too.

GuinnessSmurf, Dec 03, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance – Light, milky orangish-yellow in color with some crazy carbonation and a nice, white head.

Smell – Light orange peel and a bit of yeast is all I can pick up here, and maybe a bit of spicing of some kind.

Taste – Yes, much better at the taste. The spices are strong, primarily coriander and something dark (allspice or black pepper maybe). The orange peel is very pleasant if a bit on the sour side. The yeast though is still very faint.

Mouthfeel – Super-carbonated and a tad heavier than light-bodied. Between the full carbonation and sour nature of this Witbier I had a party in my mouth.

Drinkability – A little too sharp for my tastes, but some will love I’m sure.

RoyalT, Jul 23, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : bière à la robe blonde, mousse abondante tenant bien, belle effervescence
Smell : nez arômes citronnés
Taste and mouthfeel : légérement piquante en bouche, notes de fleur d'oranger, faible amertume équilibré
Drinkability : une bière correcte dans le style witbier (type Belge)

thierrynantes, Nov 27, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

11.2 oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. Tight frothy white head, about a fingers width. Very light hazy yellow color, with a lot of carbonation activity. Smell is slightly sour typical of a wheat. A little bit of fruitiness. Taste has a wheat and yeast tang, though fairly mild. Sort of a powdered sugar sweetness. Mouthfeel is pretty light. Certainly interesting, but not outstanding to me.

bort11, Nov 17, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm not sure how Witty this beer is. It presents a gold color and the aromas are sweet and loaded with papaya, porridge and tangerine. Exotic, sweaty, perfumes of Brazil nuts, tropical blooms, orangeade, caramel syrup, peanut butter and smoke rise up from the palate.
For style-concious drinkers this is certainly not as dry as a typical Wit. I found it difficult to drink for its excessive sugar-sweet taste.

putnam, May 03, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Straw-coloured, with some turbidity from the yeast. Very abundant foam, white and creamy.
The smell is very fresh, floral and spicy, coriander, orange, orange flower, wheta, yeast. Good.
The taste is a little less refreshing, the spices are more evident, with the citric character. Maybe some hints of hops.
Spicy aftertaste, very light, with some bitter.

stcules, Jul 27, 2003
3.34/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

They sure love drawing snails over at Caracole, don't they? This comes from a 330 ml bottle, and on to the beer:

A few chunks of yeast get into the glass with the beer. The color is a toasted orange, topped with a small fuzzy head with decent retention. Visible carbonation bubbles run from bottom to top. The nose is pleasant and slighty tart. There's some blueberry, more blueberry, a little lemon, and vague spice. It works.

Well carbonated (a bit much for my liking) and light bodied, Troublette is more of a fruity witbier than a spicy one. The blueberry from the aroma makes its way to the taste. A leafy hop bitterness appears to be the countering device toward the beer's fruity taste. I've had better for sure, but I've had worse as well. Call it a decent witbier.

DoubleJ, Jan 12, 2013
3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

A - this witbier pours straw yellow, when popped it welled up a huge frothy head, but after the pour, tons of sediment and carbonation throughout the glass

S - the aroma seems to be an amalgamation of a few distinct odors, namely grapeskins, non-descript spice, yeast, and wheatiness

T - in the taste, a lemon zestiness rises to te forefront, it is also wheaty and slightly spicy, dull throughout the sip and finishes a bit watery

M&D - starts out good, but thins outh throughtout each sips and becomes downright watery, the initial flavor and mouthfeel is darn tasty, but the finish leaves something to be desired

sinstaineddemon, Jan 23, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

Contents under pressure! The cork flew off this bottle and nearly caused me a mild stroke. Cloudy honey colored with a big snow white head(not the Disney character). This brew had a terrific aroma of orange, coriander and possibly lemon. Flavor was a bit of a let down though and really didn't match the nice aroma I was getting. A bit sour maybe and the wheat malts weren't as fresh tasting as say the Allagash that I love so much. Overall, not a bad Wit. Just not outstanding.

BierReise, Oct 10, 2003