Troublette - Brasserie Caracole

TroubletteTroublette

Brasserie Caracole visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Troublette Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

This is a 750 mL bottle, served in a Hennepin glass. The ale is near room temperature.

Appearance: The ale is a hazy color, closer to orange than yellow. There is a nice ring of head in the glass.

Smell: There is a low key spicy aroma to the ale, primarily coriander and wheat.

Taste: I think that the ale is a little old. Despite that, this witbier hides its age very well. There is just a hint of bitterness upfront before the wheat and spice flavors take over.

Mouthfeel: Not the best tasting witbier, it is not the worst either. The ale holds up remarkably well in overcoming the stale bitterness.

Drinkability: I'd love to try it fresh, but a 3.7 for an old beer is not bad.

3.14/5  rDev -21.1%

I was surprised at having no “troubles” finding Troublette in South Dakota. The pour is cloudy golden amber color with a frothy head. I noted that the foam bubbles were larger then typical foam. Not much lacing but the retention was good lasting through the whole tasting.

The smell has a strong citrus odor to it. It seems to overpower the beer altogether. Hints of Belgium yeast and some spices, coriander and orange, are in the background.

The taste continues with a tart and lemony zest. A touch of chamomile as well. Not much of the malt backing and the spiceness isn’t existent either. Really this is over balanced for a wit. I slight dry finish, this to me is more along the lines of a gueze but not quiet fruity enough.

The body is light with a high carbonation. The citrus aftertaste hangs around and I notice a strong taste on my lips. I guess I had a troubles with this one but still a unique beer.

Vigorously bubbled pale gold with waxy lemon edges. I expected at least a little cloudiness, but it looks like there's a compacted layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. The large head is pure white and fine-grained with dozens of sparkling bubbles on its upper surface. This is a nice looking wit in spite of its (present) clarity.

If you like your witbiers funky, this one should be right up your funkadelic alley. The usual aromatics are present (citrus and coriander), but are almost overpowered by a cloud of damp hay and other barnyard effluvia. I no longer hate these types of noses and, in fact, now find them to be strangely appealing. Maybe it's time to revisit Orval.

Troublette is still recognizably a wit on the palate, even if a myriad of other flavor elements are in the mix. It starts out wheaty sour, lemon tart and modestly coriander spicy. Then the barnyard ripeness begins to take over and it finishes with a furious tang of sweet grass, overripe musty fruit, used horse blanket and a potpourri of unidentifiable spices. It's never overwhelming, though, and should be easily handled by those who don't shy away from the more... uh... eccentric Belgians.

The final pour clouds things up nicely even though there's still quite a bit of yeast clumped in the bottom of the bottle. I can only marvel at what the beer would taste like with the full dose of yeasties swirling through the glass. I'm amazed that it maintains its wit personality all the way to the end. This really is an original creation that I like more and more with each passing sip.

The mouthfeel is light without being thin and is well-carbonated without being buzzy. Those aren't usually characteristics that I'd choose, but it seems to work well here. It keeps the finish as clean as possible, which matches the crisp nature of the beer like hand in glove.

Troublette (translated as 'little cloudy one') is my least favorite Brasserie Caracole beer. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed each and every mouthful, it just means that the others (Saxo, Ambree, Nostradamus) are outstanding versions of their respective styles. This is the most original witbier that I've ever had the pleasure to drink and I recommend it anyone who loves the occasional dose of Belgian funk.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

Nice slim little Belgian bottle. WHITE beer. Whiter than Hoegaarden, possibly? Excellent head & head retention. I am impressed.

Wow, the scent is powerful. I wouldnt really know exactly what to compare it to. Its earthy, yeasty, rich, and citrusy. I continue to be impressed.

GREAT tasting. Carbonation hits you first, then it quickly mellows out in the middle, and on the finish is a lemony burst. Wow.

Mouthfeel is excellent and stands tall with the taste. Perhaps a touch less carbonation would be nice, but its no big deal, and really just a matter of personal taste.

What a great whitbier. I will keep an eye out for it again, but I dont know if I will see it, as I got this in NC and I live in MD.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 750ml bottle. Freshness date on back says 09-2007.

A: Looks like it should ;) Cloudy golden color with nice 2 finger head that fades to a thin head that sticks around for quite a long time.

S: Wow am I excited to start drinking this. It has a full yeasty/doughy aroma with noticable citrus (maybe tangerine) scents with a corriander background.

T: Fantastic light sourdough and lemon zest. This is a really fantastic example of a belgian whitbier. It has such great body with a medium carbonation that really adds to the flavor. The body helps the beer start with a full flavor and mellow into some citurs in the finish.

I'm a huge Hoegaarden fan.... but this, well.... I think I have to call it a tie!

cute girly side note: How adorable is that snail? Cute little guy is in some serious "trouble" trapped on that lilly pad. Might as well drink your troubles away and chill out on that lilly pad for a while!

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Okay, I'll admit that I am not the biggest wheat beer fan. I find heffeweizens hard to drink and Hoegaarden gave me some poor side effects. However, I am very happy with this beer, if somewhat confused by the label.

This glowing-amber beer is cloudy like any witbier and smells of wheat, coriander and citrus. However, this is light and refreshing with a slighty watery quality that makes this almost like a juice. There are definite coriander, clove and citrus hints to an everpresent wheat taste. I don't find this too dry or acidic like Hoegaarden. This is certainly a summer beer, but it brings to mind bright sunny days during the dark winter. Overall a very well done beer and one that may turn me on more to wheat based beers.

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

A very pale wit with an almost green colour. Big head with a saison like nose; all summer fruit and some spice. The beer is full bodied and almost tastes higher in alcohol than it measures. The closest version to this is Ommegangs Wit which also takes the spiced citrus notes to the max. Very well made and a beer for all seasons.

4.37/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 33 CL bottle into a Hennepin glass. A pale straw colored body that is unfiltered with a creamy one fingered white head.

Aroma: is a subtle citrus scent along with some coriander. Delicate.

Taste: a really bread and yeast presence hit the palette first, then the fruity esters liven things up. The coriander provides a trailing smack of delight Little to no hop presence.

Mouthfeel: very crips, little bit more than medium carbonation.

Drinkability: At 5% ABV and being a great beer to quench thirst, Troublette ranks up there with the best of the session beers. As a wit it is also one of the top tier that I have enjoyed. I also thoroughly enjoyed Saxo and here Brasserie Caracole has crafted another fine brew.

3.78/5  rDev -5%

An originality category may have qualified this a 5 in my book. This was nothing that I expected. Tried a sample last night without any idea what i was sipping. The sour notes sparkle and add to the creative Witbier. Crisp and smooth, I'm not sure if I could finish a 750 mL bottle, but I wouldn't mind getting this sometime for a party, just for the conversation.

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

from the bottle a 750 for 4.50 wich I thought was a good price. poured a hazey golden color with a white head with some lacing. when I took the wire off the cork went flying. I am glad it wasn’t aimed at my face. aroma, yeast, citrus, lemon, some malts, and grain. flavor, got about the same as I did in the aroma. this was easy to drink.

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

10/09/05- Purchased at John's Marketplace in Portland, OR.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle with a best before dating on the back label. Poured into my Paulaner witbier glass.

Appearance- Golden white colored pour with a fat and semi spritzy head reminescent of maybe champagne. Medium lace left.

Smell- Lots of lemon and citrus in the nose. Maybe a hint of corriander as well.

Taste- Hmmm, not a whole lot of corriander. Heavy lemon taste...reminded me of Calistoga Lemonade. Don't know if that's a bad of good thing. Tastes more soda like than beer like. Had a fair amount of sourness to it. Tastes more like a saison than a wit.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated, a bit too carbonated for me.

Drinkability- Nothing special here. Not bad, but there are several other wits I would buy before this one.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Monk's Cafe...
Appears a hazy light yellow with virtually no cap and no lacing to be seen, even after several heavy swirls to the glass.
Smell is overkill of heavy dosages of lemon juice mixed with coriander with an acidic aroma that may be a bit too much.
Taste is of the same lemony aromas.
Mouthfeel is acidic, sour, and dry.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance - Very bubbly, with a golden color. Thick, frothy, long-lasting head.

Smell - Sweet and spicy (phenolic) smell so common to Belgiam beers.

Taste - Malt, with a good blend of spiciniess, is dominant here. Hops offer balance, but little else. I detect a hint of chamomile (maybe), buit not the coriander and bitter orange peel usually associated with this style.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Light to medium-light body.

Drinkability - This is a really fizzy beer. Once you get past that, it is very enjoyable.

Comments - This one is all about the fizz and phenolics, man.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Pretty good stuff. Caracole cannot make a bad beer. This one pours a coudy lemonade color with a stark white dense head. Like all Wheats, it retains and laces well. A bit more tart and sour than found in most Wits, but makes for a crisper, more refreshing brew. Clean aromas and flavors of lemons, oranges, and (to some extent) pineapples. Nicely spicey sweet with corriander and peppery. Mildly alcoholically in the finish. Not drying, just fresh and crisp. Thins out without becoming watery. Little aftertaste to mention.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Nice, effervescent beer that has an appearance and mouthfeel that suggests champagne. The citrus and sweetness were prominent but not garish or overdone. The head was thick and rich. At times the beer felt a little insubstantial. I was asking, "Is that all you got?" (Seriously, I was asking out loud, right there in the bar). With that said, it's a good beer that's refreshingly, a candidate for a session beer, and a nice one on a hot day.

2.72/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I was watching "The Thirsty Traveler" last night because they were covering Belgian beers. During the show they talked with the brewers at Brasserie Caracole and later I spotted a bottle of Troublette. I suddenly remembered I had an 11.2oz bottle in my fridge and decided the time was right to give it a try. I pulled it out, checked for a freshness date (there wasn't one), and popped the cap.
Poured into a pint glass, I was rewarded with a slightly cloudy lemon colored beer that had a white head that nova'd and collapsed into a tiny ring. Not the way I've seen witbiers behave and not all that attractive.
The nose had a dusty malt aroma and a definitive apple cider note. Missing was the floral, perfumey aroma and lemon zest notes I've come to associate with witbiers. Again, not all that attractive.
The taste had all the hallmarks of apple cider while virtually no traits attributable to a wit. Real fruity sweetness, tons of apple and sugars. Touch of earthy malt and dusty yeast. Vaguest notion of spices and finishing with a resounding tartness. The feel was light, dry and tart, just like cider.
I was encouraged to seek this beer out while in Boston and got it while there. To say Troublette was a disappointment is a bit of an understatement. Cider, yes. Witbier, no. I'll try it again some day but I'll go in with vastly reduced expectations.

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Served from the 12 oz bottle this brew pours champagne light yellow. Produces a whispy white head that quickly settles.
Smell is of spice, lemon and yeast. Very rind like. A sort of sour nose that is spicy in character.

Taste flows freely on the palate. Very effervescent in its texture. The only tastes I can make out are citrus rinds. There are some other fruits in the background as well. This brew strikes a good balance between flavor and not beeing too sweet. Witbiers aren't exactly me, but this is quite tasty.

1.77/5  rDev -55.5%

Caged and corked bottle. Poured into a clean weizen. Pale, pale yellow with a very large head on top. Smells like some spice, lots of lemons. The taste is lemons, very tart, too tart for my taste. I tried drinking this, but just couldn't do it. Utter waste, maybe I just hate wheat.

4.02/5  rDev +1%

750ml corked and caged. Pours a nice clouded yellow color with a smaller than expected head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is lemoney, slightly creamy wih just a tinge of sourness. The flavor is much the same, with lemoney notes being dominant with some slightly peppery spice and sourness on the finish. The feel is a bit of a dissappointment. It is thin to moderate. I would like more body in there. Drinkability is nice on this. I really enjoy the play between the nose and the flavor. That little bit of sour adds a new deminsion to the style that I really like.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a very clear yellow color with a moderate head and decent retention and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is very "farmhouse" like. Orange, lemon, coriander. The flavor had a lot of the citrus as well as a slight spice, which I liked. Very light on the mouthfeel and very easy to drink. I think this is a well-made wit bier.

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a hazy orange-amber, topped with a one finger white head, leaves webs of lacing.
Fruity, grass and lemon aroma, pepper and spices.
Wheaty and fruity notes dominate the taste, coriander, lemon aftertaste, and some powdery yeast.
Good drinkability, medium bodied.

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

Part 1 of the "My Roommates went to the EBF and left me home alone, Teaching the girlfriend about beer" AAA (Artisanal, Americas, Abbey Trappist) Witbier Cross-section Test.

Very bubbly and cloudy, this beer is a dull peach/straw color with two fingers of white head.

The aroma has a nice depth, with yeast, fruit sugars, bananas, clove, and other fruits and spices entertwined.

This definitely isn't your everyday witbier. It starts tart and crisp, but quickly transitions into a slick, sweetness across the tongue, and then finishes dryly, like melba toast. It's quite sweet, but I really like this. It brings something different to the table for the style, and is pretty unique.

Nicely done, Caracole.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a hazy straw color with a fluffy white head that leaves the slightest trace of lace. Head retains very well.

Doughy aromas with green apple, peppery spice, apricot, and clove. Initially slightly sweet fading into slightly sour. There's an added level of Belgiany yeast must that is very nice.

Flavors follow the aroma with the fruity, bready, faintly acidic green apple taste. Very light and refreshing. More complexity than your average witte.

Light/medium in body with large bubbles of carbonation. Prpobably one of the best wittes I've had so far.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle. Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Pale gold, unusually clear for a wit. I like a turbid appearance. Fair head though.

Aroma: Sweet, fairly fruity (apple juice) aroma.

Flavor: Lot of wheat flavor, light coriander with emphasis on the bitter orange peel. Crisp, complex flavors of other fruits (almost-ripe persimmon comes to mind, as do green apples, or mangoes) mingle with a very yeasty pepperiness. Finish is quite tart and surprisingly dry.

Body: Very spritzy! Light body, but lots of carbonation.

Excellent witbier. The lack of aroma is unusual, but the flavor is top-notch. My favorite beer from Caracole.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

Foggy gold with streams of CO2 feeding an everlasting white dome.
Musty pear and lemon peel notes, along with evident coriander and white pepper. A bit more flagrant than many a version.
Begins with a sharp wheaty tartness that mimics lemon juice. A touch of pizza dough later, but it stays assertively dry. Spices begin to flail, with reaching coriander, pepper, and basil. But the tart leanings set this apart. Under-ripe pears and green apples last long into the herbal-laced finish.
Light bodied with manic streams of bubbles.
A bit brash and sour at times, but this is a statement of a Witbier.

Troublette from Brasserie Caracole