Ol' Red Cease And Desist - Erie Brewing Co.

Ol' Red Cease And DesistOl' Red Cease And Desist

poor

pDev: 17%
Erie Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.10% ABV

(Beer added by: jhicks12 on 11-20-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ol' Red Cease And Desist Alström Bros

TGERUS, Jan 05, 2013
1.23/5  rDev -64.6%

A rotten example of a Scotch ale, and one of the most awful beers I've ever had, this thing is a disgrace to the style. Like a good little Scotch ale enthusiast, I let it warm up for a while before opening it; my reward was a nose full of old vegetables and pink Sweetarts. The taste is sweet, salty and, at the same time, terribly bitter and sour and full of boiled peas. It gained a slightly pleasant malt characteristic after reaching room temperature; otherwise, this is a total and complete failure. If you want a good American Scotch ale, go find yourself a Founders Dirty Bastard.

gfreed, Feb 15, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

Poured from a bottle into a 16oz pint glass. I'm a huge fan of big malty beers, but this brew hits you with a taste of malty-ness followed by the dull, almost oily taste of alcohol.

I don't think I ever truly understood the meaning of "one-dimensional" until I had this beer. There are no back-notes, no lingering flavors, no aftertaste except for the taste of alcohol.

Erie Brewing Co. has some great beers, but this is not one of them. As I told my brother as I drank this, "it's probably one of, if not the, worst beers I've ever tasted." A disappointment indeed.

karmaghost, Dec 12, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -45.8%

A: Poured into a pint glass. Pretty attractive amber with an impressive head. Enjoyable to look at in the glass.

S: Alcohol pours into the nose and is reminiscent of smelling a liquor. Fruitiness seeps through the alcohol, which is a little enjoyable.

T: Way too strong for my tastes, and it's not hard to notice the alcohol. Warming and reminiscent of drinking a boilermaker made with a fruity beer.

MF: Creamy feel, nothing too good or bad.

D: I couldn't drink more than one, and it's amazing I got beyond through that one. This beer is way too aggressive for me and just doesn't have enough redeeming flavor to sip.

wgarton, Dec 07, 2008

tjsmith910, Jan 01, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -38%

drank this at 1:15 sunday the 2nd of 2011.
a: carmel brown
s: malty
t: thick malt
m: malty strong one sided
d: no
for a strong scotch ale I think they forgot to add the most important beer ingredient. Goodness. Goodness was missing from this one.
Not a good way to start the new year.

jkaiser150, Jan 05, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -31.4%

A- Nice amber brown body with a lot of frothy white head

S- Sweet? Not much along these lines

T- Gotta check to make sure this is really 10.1% ABV it really doesn't seem like that much... not what I expected. Caramel malty sweetness and not much else... a bit of astringent alcohol in the finish

M- Medium bodied, smooth, good carbonation. Kind of sticky

D- The aftertaste and lack of depth at 10.1% is a bummer and surprising

aepb1, Jan 19, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Ol' Red Review

I bought this for a night cap at the Headkeeper tonight after some R&R. I poured it into my crystal snifter and prepared for the best. The beer poured with a nice head that quickly dissipated. The color was a deep, deep ruby. The aroma was full of roasted malts and sweet, dark fruits. It has tones of dates, sweet citrus notes. The taste wasn't as well received as the aroma. It was a bit bland, but still passes as scotch ale. A few years ago I tried Red Ryder form Erie Brewing and enjoyed it very much. I hope sooner or later they bring it back.

steelcutoats, Nov 25, 2008

Rob315, Jan 06, 2012

tfsimpkins, Feb 09, 2012

jk3, Feb 26, 2013

slimpickens101, Jul 03, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -27.1%

a- deep brown coloration. filtered, clear, but very dark...rootbeer colored

s- nothing wonderful to smell. almost a little stale. no hoppiness to detect...you can almost smell the alcohol

t- alcohol. fruity, but with alcohol. Overpowering burn

m-heavy. definately large bodied beer. no hoppiness detected.

d- too much with no refinement. All i taste is alcohol. almost like drinking actual scotch. yuck. would not tell others to try it

GoalieRon33, Nov 14, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a nice dark copper color, but with just a bit of head and almost no lacing. Sweet, malty scent, but not as strong or deep as most wee heavies. It has slightly sweet flavor, but it's completely overridden by the alcohol. There are other wee heavies out there that are just a little lower in ABV, but much richer in taste. It would be good as a warmer, but so would a nice scotch, and I prefer more flavorful beers, as opposed to those whose taste, and also rough feel, are too overwhelmed.

JamesS, Dec 02, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -22.2%

No modest froth here, it comes right to the top of the glass. Ok retention and the clarity is bright. Fruity aroma with a dried biscuit dusting in the nose. Creamy smooth mouth feel, full bodied. Hit of harsh solvent alcohol after each sip, caramel and bready maltiness is there but clouded by the hot alcohol. Hops are minimal. Dry finish with more lingering alcohol heat.

I'm not even sure if age will do this beer any good. Its far from being horrible but it is a chore to sip, it has headache written all over it. A bit too attenuated, hot and fruity for the style.

Jason, Jan 12, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Pours with a 1 finger creamy head. Clear, ruby red in color, the most red color I have ever seen in a beer. Little head retention.
S: Predominately cherries, with some plum and raisin aromas.
T: Somewhat harsh, metallic, with the darker fruit flavors mixed with a strange burnt finish. The overall flavor is somewhat thin for a 10% beer.
M: Weird. Sticky, yet slippery? It is definitely not like most other beers that I've had in terms of mouthfeel, and I can't say that I enjoy it. I'm not sure if it is the carbonation, or the thin flavor profile, but it is just weird.
D: Well, it is thin on flavor for a 10% beer IMO. While this would lend itself to be more drinkable, the harsh metallic burnt taste of this beer makes it less so. I've had much better scotch ales.

fightingirishcmk, May 19, 2009

sgerwel1985, Dec 30, 2012

IPAchris, Jan 13, 2013

tmm313, Apr 14, 2013

swgwilt, May 23, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -18.4%

P- Wegmans

A- light cola like look to it with no head and no lacing.

S- fruity aroma with a biscuity maltness on the back end. nothing too much to write here.

F- a bland fruitiness that is like plum or date. bready malts that tastes outdated.

M- smooth and creamy and this is probably the best part of the beer.

O- not a good wee heavy and i would only try this in a pinch. It gets better as its gets warmer. not a good sign.

Dodo2step, May 20, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -18.4%

Craig told me to drink this. Here goes.

A - I don't have a thistle glass so I poured it into a Trois Pistoles goblet. Poured a quick fading off-white head with a cola colored body.

S - When I whiffed it straight from the bottle, it smelled like an alcoholic mess. However from the glass I get a nice mixture of dark fruits and cherries and berries. It smells really good. Sounds weird but I even get pomegranate. I could see that if I broke one in my car, I'd probably buy another bottle.

T - Not necessarily bad. No, no wait. It's not necessarily good either. It's a hot, creepy mess of malts and medicinal alcohol. Oh man. It's not hot on the pipes or in the belly, but it has a cough medicine vibe that is soo not my thing. I wish this aftertaste would cease and/or desist.

M - Slightly thin and medium carbonation. A little syrupy.

D - Not so much. I'm gonna have a rough time gettin the rest of this one down. Apparent alcohol really blows it. It's been about a half hour and I don't have nearly half of it gone.

Notes: I originally bought this because the beer guy at Holiday Market recommended it. I don't think I'm gonna pay much attention to his further recommendations.

SaucyA, May 11, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -17%

A – Nice, lacy, beautiful red color and eggshell head.

S – Cinnamon raisin bread, and slight peat.

T – Caramel, cinnamon raisin, well-hidden alcohol, malty peat, and a strange milk-like quality. It is interesting, but I'm not sure if I like it.

M – A slight syrupy consistency does not help this beer. If it were more dry and carbonated it would perhaps enhance the flavors.

D – I would not drink more than one, especially given the strange flavor, 10% ABV, and the syrupy quality inherent.

ktrillionaire, Jan 01, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -16.4%

I like the bottle Ol' Red Cease and Desist has a pretty translucent red body with amber fringes. The white head is small and disappears pretty quickly.

The aroma has a lot of sweetness, mostly toffee. Pretty one-dimensional.

Cease and Desist is highly sweet with toffee flavors. A bit of tobacco is in there too. Some alcohol warming in the finish. Not much going on to be honest.

The mouthfeel is very light and carbonated.

I like the label and the name, but I have to say I don't like the beer that much. Definitely a little bit of a disappointment. One positive is that I would not have guessed that this sucker is over 10% ABV.

Hojaminbag, Mar 28, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Corsedonk snifter. Pours a deep amber/brown with very little head. Head remains as a thin ring around the outside with light quick sliding lacing.

Aroma is very faint and light. Slightly sweeter notes, caramel. Very little fruit smell...apple maybe?

Flavor is also pretty light, but decent...at first. Flavor hits in a little stronger as it sits on your tongue. Some warm caramel notes, sweet malts, mild carbonation, a slight bitter backside. Can taste the scotch, which is pleasant and warming. Decent beer.

ShadesOfGray, Jan 18, 2010
Ol' Red Cease And Desist from Erie Brewing Co.