Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Derailed Black Cherry Ale - Erie Brewing Co.

Derailed Black Cherry AleDerailed Black Cherry Ale

Erie Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 10-15-2009

Reviews by asabreed:
3.38/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A light peach color with some orange thrown in, a lot of carbonation, and a decent off-white head, leaving some nice lacing and drops around the top of the glass.

Smell: The corn and sugar sweetness is there, along with some grain aromas, and finally some syrupy light black cherry or lighter blackberry.

Taste: Going along with the aroma, there's some sugar sweetness and light black cherry, seemingly syrup, and lingering semi-sweetness. Soda-esque, but somehow not as bad as I'd anticipated for a brew like this, and easy-drinking.

Mouthfeel: Lighter-bodied and fairly creamy, and the levels seem to be just right to handle the sweetness.

Drinkability: For what it is, this isn't a bad brew, though I don't think I could have more than maybe two max in a session. And as far as fruit beers, which I'd also consider this, I'd rather drink this than many others out there, and I'm pretty sure my wife's going to like this and agree with me on that point.

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Not bad for what it is, they threw some artificial cherry flavoring into a cream ale (a popular style up north in these parts) with Genny's Cream ale, and other Canadian versions making some sales. This is a niche beer for those that like this style, and it actually works it's drinkable, pours a pink tinted golden amber hue with a light pink head. Minimal lacing. Aromatics tart cherry with a bread malt base with some cooked veggies and herbal notes. Flavor was sweet but not cloying tart cherries in addition to a nice light cream ale base. Mouthfeel a bit strong with carbonation a bit sweet but drinks smooth, will be popular with the ladies. In closing it's not my style but I always try to give a fair shake to local PA beers especially one like Erie that I've been drinking since I've found good beer.

3.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an undated 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy pale copper with a faint reddish tint. The small white head dissipates rather rapidly leaving just a ring and decent lacing.

Smell: light, sweet malt aroma with a subtle cherry character that seems more natural than artificial.

Taste: light malt flavor with a fair bit of sweetness. The cherry is less subtle, and more tart (thankfully) than anticipated from the nose. Still, (acceptably) sweet overall.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body; medium carbonation; smooth. Nice, but seems too watery.

Overall: a decent and refreshing cherry ale; just don’t expect a lambic or kriek. Not really a cream ale either,

4.37/5  rDev +32.8%

Took awhile to find but blows away Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Now need to find on draught!

3.7/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

While a lot of brewers find cherry flavors best suited for strong, dark beers, this one goes a completely different route. It doesn't look like anything that would have black cherry in it, it does fit the look of a cream ale. It pours the palest white gold, but what ends up in the glass is a dark gold with a brown-orange hue deep within. An aggressive head foams high, eventually settling to a dense lump of pure white that drops down nice, chunky patching that connects with thick webbing.
The aroma gives up cherry in good measure over dry, wheaty malts. It's definitely much more strongly malty, but a hint of herb comes through. It's simple, but it works.
The flavor follows closely. Cherry is more sweet than tart with just the faintest hint of sour. There seem to be more fruits, though, pale flesh with a little bit of something like pear, and leaning quite sweet. Malts add a necessary dryness, though the sweetness is still foremost. The light herb still comes through on the end.
I don't know if this beer has been revised, people have had bad bottles, or I've somehow gotten an exceptionally good one, but the mouthfeel is fantastic. It's softly fluffy, creamy smooth with an excellent crispness flowing with the rolling smoothness. Just the right note of dryness cuts through the sweet, preventing any cloying feel or stickiness.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.57/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - orangish gold with a big, soapy, soft, white head that has decent retention

S - grainy with some faint cherry notes

T - cereal grains, sweet, black cherry syrup

M - a bit sticky, medium bodied, crisp

This concept has potential. I like the creaminess of the beer and the cereal grains seem spot on. Had real black cherries been used this would probably be a hit. As it is the artificiality of the cherry flavoring is off putting. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't seek it out again.

3.17/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Pours out in a nice carbonated swirl. It's very light, pretty much pink. I would like this better, but it ends up kind of flat.

Smell: High points here. Nothing too complex, just a whole lot of cherries. Sweet and sour at the same time. What can I say? I'm a sucker for fruity beer smells.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Not my favorite taste or mouthfeel. Some sweet and sour cherries and that's it. It's a bit too sweet, yet still dry at the same time. It's almost like one of the those kiddy cocktails or Shirley Temples (or whatever you called it). Mouthfeel is extremely flat and watery.

Drinkability: The odd flavor and mouthfeel combination throws this out of balance.

Overall: A miss overall.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

My boss brought back a bottle of Derailed from Eric Brewing from his annual Xmas trip to PA. The DBCA poured a clear copper color with fizzy white head that is not lacing. The smell includes hints of cherry...very mild. The taste has a cherry flavor to it and very light malt. The mouthfeel was a lighter bodied ale with good carbonation. Overall it isnt bad, just dont think I could make an evening out of drinking just this beer.

2.89/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden amber color with a huge off-white head with great retention and lacing.

S- The first thing I smell with this beer is the toasted malts.  The black cherry notes are a nice compliment to the malt in the aroma.

T- The black cherry flavors stand out in the taste immediately. The taste is definitely on the sweet side, the sweetness surprised me a little bit at first, I was expecting something more on the dry side. There's not much hops in the finish, just a lingering sweetness in the finish.

M- the mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, this beer was not horrible but the sweetness was just too much for me.

3.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very light color, odd considering it is a black cherry ale. Crystal clear.

I don't smell much out of this beer, smells like watered down apple or grape juice.

Clean and refreshing. Tastes like apples and cherries along with a subtle hop and malt bill. There seems to be a clean juice taste without fruit skins, which contributes to how it feels. Subtle feel, no tannis, watery and light. Very drinkable.

1.25/5  rDev -62%

2.96/5  rDev -10%

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Erie Brewing Co either impresses me or lets me down. There are a few of their beers that I really like, and I few others I don't really care for, but I always give them a shot when I see a brew of theirs that I haven't had yet. That being said, it's time to move on and review Erie Brewing Co's Derailed Black Cherry Ale.

The brew pours a hazy amber brown from what I can tell; let's just say I don't have the pleasure of natural light right now. There also seems to be a faded grayish-red hue toward the corners of the glass (2-D perspective). A silky, multi-layered rim collects itself after a few minutes.

The smell is delicious, albeit it is probably derived from some sort of cherry extract. Canned cherries; that's all I can gather from the smell.

The taste is a little bit of husk up front, with a sweet cherry finish. Muted malts and a pseudo oxidation taste at first, but the cherry sweetness soon washes that away. Still, I'm left with a syrupy tongue more akin to a few maibocks I've run into in the past than a cream ale.

Not a bad brew, but not one I would drink a lot of.

4.09/5  rDev +24.3%

It's almost summer and this is a great refreshing beer. I wish I had discovered it earlier because the new labels don't have an engine on them and I save every label with trains on them because I'm a railfan, but this and their soleil are a heck of a lot better than other fruit beers I've had.

1.65/5  rDev -49.8%

Clear golden color with a sticky 2 finger head. Subtle nose of biscuits with lightly sugared cherry jam.

Creamy mouthfeel. Sweet biscuit graininess up front followed by a subtle floral and earthy hop presence. Finishes with just a touch of cherry tartness. Lingering black cherries in the mouth but nothing too overbearing. Nice feeling in the mouth but a little too much lingering sweetness. Also, its a little boring, even for a fruit beer which usually have some interesting qualities be it good or bad.

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sweet cherries. Taste is also dominated by sweet cherries, a touch of hops. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a different and good quality beer.

Derailed Black Cherry Ale from Erie Brewing Co.