Mad Anthony's APA - Erie Brewing Co.

Mad Anthony's APAMad Anthony's APA

good

Erie Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: aaronh on 10-06-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mad Anthony's APA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 283 | Reviews: 159
2.71/5  rDev -21%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a thin white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Aromas of caramel, biscuit, lemon, lime, herbs, and mandarin orange are present on the nose, but are very muted.

T: Indistinct flavors of lemon, lime, herbs, and mandarin orange take a little time to express themselves, but are muted even further by the emergence of a jumble of caramel, cream, biscuit, and mineral notes at mid-palate. The finish is very short with fleeting notes of minerals, caramel, and orange.

M: Medium in body and dryish. Carbonation is very crisp and intense, but the ale goes down well enough. I have a feeling that if the mouthfeel were a bit better balanced and the carbonation tamed a bit, this ale's flavors would be easier to discern.

O: I really do not know what happened here. Looking at some of the other reviews, I seriously wonder if I have been drinking the same beer. This is a fairly simple, straight-forward ale, but unfortunately it is not simple in an appealing way. There just isn't enough going on in this ale to sustain my interest.

2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

I bought a mix case of Erie Brewing Company beer several weeks ago at Chester County Beverage. 8 each of Mad Anthony's Ale [awful] Presque Isle Pilsner [pretty good] and Railbender Ale [really good]. So for $29 it is almost a worthy purchase for 2/3rds of the case.

The Mad Anthony's is so bad that I wouldn't take it to my friend's BBQ/B-day party. Yes, the were drinking Corona, but Mad Anthony's has this awful aftertaste that just makes it very hard to drink.

Appearance: The appearance is nice. No problem there. Clear goldenrod with a sudsy white head. a little lacing and a white ring around the glass. The clear body showcase some lively active carbonation. Nice.

Smell: Buttery hops. It smells of toasted biscuits and lightly bitter herbal hops; little action but inoffensive.

Taste: What Happened!!! The smell wasn't like this. ew yuck. It is the aftertaste. In the mouth it is buttery, a tad too much diacetyl and very much like chewing on a citrus rind. The aftertaste is overboard unbalanced grassy bitterness that is not a fresh hop feel it is simply chemically bitter. Honestly, to get rid of them I just decided to drink what was left the other night and after 2 or three, they didn't bother me anymore. That annoying taste became more palatable and I finished four of them leaving just this one to review. On a fresh palate I return to my original opinion. It just doesn't work for me.

Drinkability: If you can get past the aftertaste it would work fine. Maybe you need to dink it with a meal, that'd work better.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.52/5  rDev -26.5%

Had weak smell and not much flavor. Smell was a bit off putting, like wet hay.

2.48/5  rDev -27.7%

It didn't smell or taste like a pale ale, but at least it looked like a British pale ale. I was confused and disappointed. It didn't taste bad, but, but, well maybe it could pass as a British pale ale, but I just wasn't feeling it on any level. I just didn't get it. I could not grasp, fathom, or understand this beer in the terms of its alleged style/ category. In and of itself it wasn't bad - just bland with a little fruit and decent body. I certainly would not buy this one again. Maybe it tastes better in Erie.

2.4/5  rDev -30%

From notes

A - pours a golden hue with some nice amber highlights. A big white head. Decent retention.

S - light citrusy, flowery hops dominate the aroma. Some breadyness. Sweet malt undertones.

T - follows the nose. Citrus hops, sweet and bready malts. Flavor is a little bland. It's lacking a little something.

M - medium bodied. Medium carb.

D - I just can't get over that bland flavor. This could possibly be a bad bottle ill have to try it again to be sure.

2.36/5  rDev -31.2%

Standard brown bottle, with the labels coming off at the edges. No freshness information.

Pours light cloudy copper. Effervescent head doesn't last very long. Medium carbonation.

Aroma is of pale malts and faint plantlike hops. Not very impressive.

The palate is largely bitter and floral but not in a pleasant way. The aftertaste is a little rough. Thinner mouthfeel than what I'm looking for.

Verdict: not very good. I'm glad I only got one bottle. Hundreds of better pale ales out there.

2.11/5  rDev -38.5%

Appearance - orange copper pour, a nice creamy white cap of a finger+.It's already laying down a nice coat of lace as the foam level falls.

Aroma - light citrus, light biscuity grains with a toasty accent.

Taste - a brief malty graininess up front, quickly covered by some very harsh and bitter hops. Too medicinal too soon for me. The palate dries out expectedly and the flavor lingers far longer than I want. Metallic flavors are present and though not in abundance, they are steady. I'm almost considering a mild infection but I'm not sure. Probably not but this flavor is really testing me.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium body and a clean feel.

Drinkability - a chore to finish, it's way out of balance to the acridly bitter hop side.

Old, oxidized bottle but there's no freshness date so how was I supposed to know?

12oz bottle (no dating) served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly hazed copper color with an off-white head that thinned out leaving very little lacing.

S - sour smelling beer.

T - odd tasting, it's like any bitterness is bordering on just being sour patch kid tasting with a little malty sweetness thrown in.

F - medium bodied, kind of a thin, flat feel.

D - meh!

« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Mad Anthony's APA from Erie Brewing Co.