Redbird Ale - Big Buck Brewery & Steakhouse

Redbird Ale
No picture uploaded.

Big Buck Brewery & Steakhouse visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.10% ABV

This Red Ale is a heartier beer with a reddish-copper appearance with a medium body. It is moderatley hopped to yield a pleasant hop bitterness.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-27-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Big Buck Brewery's Redbird Ale a couple days at ago when I was at the Brewery. I didn't have the chance to try this on tap, so I bought a bottle to take home with me and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's got some nice artwork of some cardinals that goes good with the name and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a nice amber/red color that took on a brighter red hue when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking Red Ale, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a slightly grainy, caramel malt and toasted malt like aromas with the caramel malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a very noticeable fruity aroma with some berry and cherry like aromas coming through. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, i wish some hop aromas showed up but other than that it was nice.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruity yeast being the first to show up and this time and it imparts the same berry and cherry aspect, but it's just slightly lighter then it was in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy, sweet malt, toasted malt, and caramel malt like aroma with the toasted and grainy flavors seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a pretty much no bitterness with a grainy and toasted malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Red Ale, but I think some hop flavors would help liven up the flavor a little.

M- Smooth, clean, not too crisp, a little watery, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a somewhat lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but It could use a little more carbonation and i wish it didn't have that watery aspect.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a slightly above average example of the style, the fruity yeast just barely kept it from being a pretty average amber and I thought some hop additions would help this beer out with adding some more flavor and bitterness to it. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, not that crisp, clean and not filling at all, but the taste didn't do the greatest job at holding my attention so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't care about taste I'm sure I could drink more than a few of these without a problem. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both pretty nice and they both seemed to be the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was ok, but it i thought the watery aspect hurt this beer the most. I don't think I would buy a bottle of this beer again, I might buy a pint to go with my food if I visit Big Buck again. I wouldn't really recommend this beer, but I wouldn't tell people not to waste their time on it either, I think it's worth a try. All in all I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't find it to be impressive and i think with a couple changes this could be a pretty solid Red Ale, but as it stands now it's just OK. It's for sure not my favorite Big Buck beer I've had it might just be one of my least favorite beer that I have tried from them. Better luck next time guys, this one could use just a little work.

03-20-2014 03:41:05 | More by StoutHunter

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

02-23-2013 00:30:10 | More by JohnnieNepal
garymuchow

3.93/5  rDev +17.3%

Listed as an archived beer, but this one was purchased summer 2012, so I assume it is still an active beer.
Malt forward aroma with a bit of crackliness, touch of sweet a little nuttiness and the faintest hint of hops.
Virtually no head. Mostly clear amber with reds.
Malt forward in taste. Not quite as interesting or complex as in the aroma. Bigger hops here with a shot of hop flavor in the middle and a soft but apparent lingering bitterness that is nicely done.
On the flatter side - which is fine by me. Solidly moderate body.
All in all pretty good. Picture on label has cardinals in the winter and this fits with late winter early spring as a good time to give this a go. Not too heavy but a malt forward beer with some well done hopping.
Thanks Drevis.

08-07-2012 01:47:07 | More by garymuchow
Dogbrick

3.05/5  rDev -9%

Sample at the Gaylord location: This brew is a reddish-amber color with a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing. Toasted malt aroma. Medium body with a pretty standard malt flavor and not much else. The finish is soft and malty, with a lingering bitterness afterward. So-so.

11-27-2006 21:46:21 | More by Dogbrick
Redbird Ale from Big Buck Brewery & Steakhouse
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.