1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hacker-Pschorr Animator - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr AnimatorHacker-Pschorr Animator

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: DrunkenPanther on 01-21-2004)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 41 | Reviews: 32 | Show All Ratings:
BarryNL

Netherlands

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Deep red, slightly hazy in appearance. Pours with a minimal head, but lasts well. Surprising it's not clearer as I assume it's undergone a fairly long lagering period.

S: Bready aroma with sweet sugary toffee caramel aroma. Not particularly complex. As the bottle was only a month before its "best before" date I would have expected more complex aromas and flavours to have developed.

T: Toffee and brown sugar, rich malty flavour. Again, not as complex as you might expect in a beer this strength, but a very pleasant clean flavour. Bitterness is spot on for the style - definitely in the background and just sufficient to balance the sweetness. The flavour lingers well with flavours developing in the mouth for a minute or more.

M: Big and fluffy, not too sticky or cloying but also neither dry and astringent.

D: Perhaps a little gassy, but otherwise drinkable enough considering the strength of this beer.

10-28-2008 20:07:50 | More by BarryNL
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

500ml swing top bottle that was brought home from Germany by my mother. Consumed on 07/10/2008.

I was thrilled to see this bottle be one of the ones that were brought back for me. One of the strongest beers offered around those parts, it was a shame this one doesn't make it over to the states. I grabbed this one out of the fridge and poured it into a tall pilsner glass to make sure I could empty the whole thing. Poured out a very nice medium brown color with a touch of reddish highlights to it. Nice cloudiness and a bit of sediment on the bottom. Rich looking beer, with a two inch head of light tan foam across the top that seemed to hang around for a good bit before finally settling down into a thin layer that lasted throughout the session. Very nice side glass presentation as well as a good bit of carbonation streaking up towards the surface.

The aroma was typically malt heavy as you would have expected. Lots of caramel and grain notes mixed in throughout. Light fruit notes way in the back, maybe a fig or something, but I was definitely picking it up. Lots of flavor here. Rich caramel malts stole the show for me on this one. Started out smooth and ended smooth, just the way that it should. Nice bit of an alcohol nosing its way in, but not becoming too dominant or distracting in anyway. Great feel, really quite thick here with a medium body and a coating across the tongue, really letting the flavor explore. Easy to put this one down as it was very rich, but at the same time quite filling I have to admit. Loads of malty sweet aftertaste that stuck with me for a good few minutes after I was done.

Overall I thought this was an excellent dopplebock. Classic German style here, with a ridiculously smooth presence and rich, sweet flavors. I would have no issue at all with having this one again any day. Really a fine offering that I wish was available here in the states!

07-13-2008 16:46:19 | More by mikesgroove
RedHaze

Nebraska

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

500ml bottle purchased in Munich.

Pours a deep mahogany, which is a little lighter colored than most doppelbocks I've seen. The head peaks at about two finger then settles the a nice ayer of foam that leaves a tattered lacing behind.

Smell; lots of dark fruits with plums, and raisins dominating. A little bit of a candy sweetness comes through in the nose as well as a bit of spiciness from the alcohol and maybe a hint of some hops.

Taste; wow, very rich maltiness. Some traces of choclate and caramel fades into plums and raisins. The alcohol is a little noticeable, but it blends well with a surprising hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very velvety smooth. One of the richest doppelbocks, as far as mouthfeel goes, that I've had. I wasn't to sure about buying this beer as I hadn't ever heard of it before, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.

04-11-2008 01:38:47 | More by RedHaze
TurdFurgison

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

I bought a swing-top bottle (0.5L) from a department store in Munich for about 1.50 euros. I wasn't so sure about packing this type of bottle with my checked luggage (maybe the swing-top could leak easier than a standard cap), so I poured it into a Kloster Andechs glass (that's right, Andechs) in my hotel room after the beer halls closed.

The beer was a clear burgandy (auburn?) color with a THICK lightly tanned foamy head. The smell was intensely fruity, dark fruits like plum and raisin, with a strong malt and alcohol aroma as well. It actually smelled kind of barley-winish. The taste was very rich and malty-sweet, almost a little cloying, and packed a strong alcohol flavor. Honestly I'd have guessed it to be higher than the 8.2% listed on the label. Mouthfeel was great, very thick and had a coating character, kept the flavor in my mouth for a long time after each sip. However, the richness of the brew keeps the drinkability down, as I couldn't have thought of going after another.

07-08-2007 19:29:20 | More by TurdFurgison
petemoss14

Germany

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

500ml flip top. Handsome label I must say. Seems like this might be a change from previous years, but bottle states alc. 8.2% vol. Freshness date 21.10.07.

Certainly the lightest colored doppelbock I have seen. Pours almost the color of a Sherry, with some strawberry highlights. Interesting. Medium white foam dissipates to next to nothing. I think this has to do with the 8.2%! Claims to be unfiltered, but actually seems quite clear.

Very sweet, almost candy-ish aroma. Lots of malt, but not the bready type you get with darker versions. Its got some mild fruity, almost vinous esters going on, along with caramel, and alcohol.

More of the same on the palate. Sweet maltiness, a touch of caramel. Clean tasting. Actually has more of a moderated hop bitterness in the finish than I would expect. Medium-to-full bodied. You sure can tell the alcohol is in there!

I have to say, having never had a paler version of a doppelbock, this beer throws me for a bit of a loop. I can't say that I dislike it, because I am enjoying it. It's just not what I expect from a doppelbock. I've sucked this one down rather quickly in trying to understand it, and I think it's gone straight to my head! A little rough around the edges (the beer, not me). This one packs a wallop.

Hacker-Pschorr seems to buck the conventional thinking with their seasonals. Their Oktoberfestbier is darker and more balanced in the hop department than the other München examples, and is actually my favorite of the Big Boys. Well Animator is also unique. And, in my opinion, worth a try!

02-08-2007 16:38:34 | More by petemoss14
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

I had this at the Hackerhaus on Sendlinger Strasse in Munich.

Mindestens haltbar bis: 30/10/06

A: Clear merlot, impressive off-white head, only a little retention and lace.

S: Malty (bready with a little raisin), sherry (becomes more boozy as it warms).

T: Bread, raisin, warming alcohol dominates, becomes cidery as it warms.

M: Moderate to full body (on the light side for its strength), moderate carbonation.

D: A little strong/harsh.

04-02-2006 20:47:25 | More by Derek
DrunkenPanther

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A thin creamy head and a dark ruby unfiltered color in this brew gave way to a malty aroma, with a touch of alcohol scent. Being 7.8, it does have a slight alcohol taste as well, which was expected. It was not overpowering though. Nor was it rough going down. The mouthfeel was large and the taste was malty with a bit of fruit or berry that lingered afterward. Slight hop taste, but nothing too noticable.
If in Munich, it is worth tasting this alongside an Aventinus(Schneider-Weisse).

04-07-2004 21:52:25 | More by DrunkenPanther