Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-MärzenHacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 761 | Hads: 1,620

9/9/2012.. The beer is ESPECIALLY good this year! Its the best batch since 2006. This is quickly becoming my favorite beer of all time!

Not much to say other then this is in my lengthy experience of beer drinking, one of the finest beers EVER...

It IS my favorite...

Every year around the end of August I get very excited about the return of my favorite beer.

I can only say that I HOPE the brewery of this fine product does not cheapen its nature for greater profits...and just CHARGE more as I will gladly pay it..

Read the EXCELLENT subsequent reviews of this beer..I can do not better then what has already been written.

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

Got a brown .5L bottle (cage/cork) in Munich back during Oktoberfest. God I love how cheap beer is in Germany.

Pours a dusky/tawny color with a creamy colored head which dissipated rapidly. It seemed like the bottle was under an immense amount of pressure when I uncorked it -- maybe I messed something up.
Either way, the color is unlike any other Märzen I've seen -- it's beautiful.

The smell is what's been missing from modern Oktoberfest styles as well. It smells delectably malty and toasty.

The taste is exactly how I want every märzen to taste. It actually has a solid malt backbone, some hoppy bitterness to back it up, with a light touch of alcohol.

Its a bit heavier than any other I've tried, including several at Oktoberfest itself. Carbonation appears constant and steady in the glass, producing a wonderful balance between too much and too little.

I know I'm a young'un, and I haven't even tried plenty of STYLES of beer, but right now I could drink this and only this the rest of my life and be very happy.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

If I had to drink one beer in 1L quantities, this would be it.

Pours an orange color with a nice white 1 inch head. Cabronation is nice. beautiful looking Oktoberfest.

Smells sweet, and airy. Lots of adjunct grains and caramel malt. And even legit caramel.

Tastes fantastic. Very light body, and the caramel sweetness is really the highlight. That sweetness is almost candy smoothness, which makes it very drinkable. Very light and airy, but not to a fault.

This is oktoberfest at its best. Almost perfect for style. PS I was told Spaten is year round, so minus points for Spaten for screwing Oktobefest up.

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

I have been drinking this beer for years and finally decided to write a review.
When poured properly, either out of the bottle or out of the tap, the beer is a "Mona Lisa" in a glass--almost makes you tear up when you see it. The head stays a good long time and is a pleasurable buffer between you and the body of the beer.
Taste wise, this is the best Munich-born (and best overall) Oktoberfest I have had. It is a tad sweet, but pure and enjoyable. The alcohol content is round 5.8%, but the beer is a joy to drink in half liters, liters, or many liters.
You would do yourself a favor to have this beer anytime of the year, but especially in September to get into the Oktoberfest spirit. Ein Prosit!

4.82/5  rDev +23%

Ahhhh, my favorite time of the year... Why? Marzen beer of course. The Hacker-Pschorr is one of my absolute favorite Marzens. Well make that my favorite with the Paulaner coming in a close second. It is the perfect Marzen... Malty as can be!!! The hops are there, but barely noticable. It has a really nice body and it is very easy to drink. It may have a bit much alcohol for a session beer, but it makes a damn fine fall session beer IMHO.

4.82/5  rDev +23%

Now here's an elite Octoberfest....dark gold in color with a puffy white head..nose is outstanding featuring caramel and biscuits...body is about perfect for this style...smooth texture too....the taste has to be the best in the style...a nice mellow caramel taste along with some breadiness....noble hops impart a nice balance...very drinkable...very tasty...very outstanding....

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

Deep dark orange, borders on red. Small, tight head, film remains to end. Clean carmelized malt aroma with some spicy hops. Flavor starts sweet, very malty, clean and rich. Turns oily, slick, slighty spicy and lasts forever. Reminds me of a Dobblebock. I finished this Okt twice as fast as all my others and will be going back to get a lot more.

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

I won't mince words here. We've had an Oktoberfest Party with beer competiton for the last 8 years with over 25 judges (male & female) comparing Oktoberfest brews from everywhere in the world and this one is the reigning champ. We bring in new challengers every year, but this brew still captures most of the praise at our annual Oktoberfest. I could drink this beer everyday and so could most of my friends. An all time favorite in our large circle of friends!!

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was the best Octoberfest/Marzen I've had so far, by far.

Malty, caramelly, fruity, floral, smooth, and immensely drinkable. I wonder if I'll ever find one that I like more?

4.74/5  rDev +20.9%

Orange brown, copper color. Lots of malt aromas in the nose; toffee, honey smoked malts, oranges, buttery, tea. The taste is sharp and full of spice. Full flavored hops, floral, herbal. Toasted barley malt, buttery toffee. Yeasty grain tones in the finish. Medium body with a terrific mouth feel that coats nicely and with a little carbonation to accompany. All around very excellent beer with a lot of depth and character combined with an excellent balance. I will be looking foreward to the next!

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%

This is what a great oktoberfest beer should be. Balanced, smooth, easy to drink. It has a slight sweet aftertaste but not too sweet. The carmel is balanced by the hops. Get it fresh and serve around 45 degrees. At this temp the flavor is amazing. The malt comes forward. My personal favorite fest beer. I've found the german styles of these beers to be a bit lighter and easier to session vs. most of the craft brewed versions. I love them all but this one seems hit the mark. Bullseye. Enjoy!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This Beer was absent from the Pacific Northwest for a year. Finally found it at my favorite store (Malt & Vine). Previously available in bomber sized bottles, now in a 6-pack of 11.2 oz bottles. I'm not complaining. This is the perfect beer, in my humble opinion. Certainly the best of the Oktoberfests I have tried and probably the best beer, apologies to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured in a SA Lager glass. Thick head with great retention and lacing with each sip. This marzen style lager is spot on. great Munich Malt up front flavor and lower hop bitterness in the aftertaste. I make a point to pick up a rack or two of this each year and look forward to it above most Octoberfests. One of my favorite beers period. This is my top non-weisn style of the season and yes I have had Ayinger!

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

One of the best Maerzens out there. Pours a clean, bright, deep amber with a sticky longlasting head. A very malty aroma floats from the glass. This a a big-malty Bavarian beer -as a sweet malty taste dominates throughout. Yet, this a very smooth lager with no cloying in the aftertaste. The finish is surprisingly dry and smooth. If you are looking for a classic Munich Lager, then this is it.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

October has come early this year! This stuff certainly takes out the hot as hell summer weather and brings a nice, refreshing flavor overall.

Appearance is a nice, beautiful amber red with lots of thick lacing. This is certainly a beer that just gives and gives lots of great things to look at.

Smell is very fresh and pure with a nice touch of sweetness at the end. Certainly a nice palate going on here.

Taste is beyond awesome. There's a nice bitter beginning, then a sweet middle, and a nice creamy ending with a magnificent aftertaste. This brew by far has a nice order of flavors without compromising too much for too little. A magnificent beer.

Mouthfeel is good, frothy and watery. By far very refreshing after a long, hot day.

Drinkability is spot on. While it is a bit pricy, it doesn't compare to how rewarding this is. One of the best beers I've ever had, hands down!

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Brilliant copper gold under a 1” cream colored foam cap.
S: Bready nose with hints of butterscotch or caramel.
T: Big malt flavors with a touch of malt sweetness transitions to a mile hop bitterness.
F: Medium body and carbonation.
O: A smooth, clean malt driven beer.

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

Enjoyed on tap at FireWaters in Hackensack, on a cool, rainy October night. It Just so happens they were serving this in the brewery's authentic 1L jalopy of a glass, with a German oom-pah band playing in the background. $20 for a fill, and the glass came home with me. Check, please!

Appearance- I've never actually drank a beer out of a vessel this large before... but watching the shapely, blonde bartender pour it tonight was a bonus. Deep copper-gold the entire way, then finally the ornamental two-finger cap. Lacing was consistent and present the entire time. I can't get over the fact that I'm about to finally *own* this frigging glass. I'm a fourth-grader on Christmas Eve.

Smell- Clean, honest malts and hops are all that's detected here... so much better though on tap!

Taste- Impeccable balance from the tap... I love this year's bottled version, but ***WOW***... on draft... one full liter went down in thirty minutes! Superb in its elegant simplicity, the quintissential Oktoberfest IMO. Soft, subdued hops gingerly balance out the malts, which have all of the character and a restrained sweetness.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- For this true session beer, the mouthfeel was excellent... alive and modest. The bar was packed tonight... but rather than belly up to the bar itself I elected to cozy up to a small round table, beer in hand, and listen to a band play German folk songs. Time went quickly, and moments later I was driving home with my new favorite glass.

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

This is probably my favorite Oktoberfest beer ever! i can't wait for it to come out every year then I drink the hell out of it. Gives off aromas of bavarian hops and carmal malts. This is how Oktoberfest beers should taste the barley and hops are very well balanced that take you to a crisp dry finish.

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably my favorite Oktoberfest beer out of Germany. Terrific clarity, light body, sweet and malty aroma and taste. A bit "bready" taste with a very smooth finish. This is the beer other Oktoberfests need to be compared to. Well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Nice golden orange color with a decent head that lingers, at least for a while. Smells and tastes well balanced, nothing overwhelming here, and all leading to the smoothest finish I've found yet for this style. Very drinkable and ranks as the best Oktoberfest I've tried.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

A- Pours a thick two finger head that fades fast, very typical of the style. The color is a very rich amber .

S- Smells of sweet carmel malts followed by a faint spicy hop aroma.

T- Solid malt profile that is sweet but not too sweet. This is held in check by hops that "know thier place" and do thier job exceptionally.

M- Extremely smooth with just the right amount of effervescence.

D- I've put down a 12 pack in a night on several occasions. Nuf' said.

Fantastic, this beer IS the reason I love fall.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Clear amber with full head that disappears down to a healthy cover. Looks beautiful in my glass mug. Tasty toasty notes fill the aroma which provides an excellent introduction. Taste builds up on aroma. Same malty notes in the foreground with some hops for balance. Lighter than I imagined.

Well crafted beer. It is no surprise this beer is around "since 1417." Very drinkable and makes me want to move to Munich (well, maybe not move, but definitely start booking my tickets for Oktoberfest).

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a dark amber with the color being a bit more brown than the usual Oktoberfest. Nice, slightly off-white head. Fragrant with cereal notes. Bottle has a drink by date of 6/2013. Purchased at Total Wine in Newport News for $9.99 a six pack. Slightly on the pricey side, but as I've discovered, well worth the few extra pennies. Love the label of a lass on a what looks to be a warhorse of some type -- pretty and bad ass at the same time. Can't argue with the Germanic marketing theme.

Whoa -- very tasty! Sweet, malty goodness that has a really nice bread note. A pinch of caramel and a touch of spice in the hops. Smooth finish; not bone dry, but crisp and leaves a an herbal note lingering on the palate; it is actually a bit numbing -- a wonderful sensation. Light to medium-bodied and well-balanced. I could drink a trough of this. One of the better Oktoberfests on the shelves, and given it is an import, I am thoroughly impressed that it tastes this fresh.

Great with pretzels and mustard, brats and burgers -- would probably cut through a spicy pepperoni pizza. Perfect beer for a late summer evening in SE Virginia, with the Weber fired up.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottled 07/06

Pours orange/amber with a cream-colored head that descends to a thin covering. Leaves some lacing.

The smell is of sweet caramel with an earthy breadiness and a touch of fruity hops.

The taste is of sweet malt (barley/caramel?) with crisp/mild hops. Some earthy breadiness emerges. It's very well-balanced. Though the tastes seem typical, they emerge so fully that you can't quite describe them.

It's wonderfully smooth and the flavors hang on without being overwhelming, making this a great oktoberfest "session" and a great brew to have at an Oktoberfest party. Every autumn I stack up on this. One of the best (if not the best) of the style!

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

A: Pours a nice looking bronze color, good sized head with excellent lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of fruity and bicutty malts. Slight spice in there as well as Marzen lager yeast
T: Sweet, fruity malts....pineapple/pear. Biscuty as well
M: Medium bodied beer finishes slighly dry
D: Very good beer...would love to go to Oktoberfest and drink many of these

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen from Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH