Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros
kwarn

10-05-2012 19:35:38 | More by kwarn
Oxymoron

Colorado

1.63/5  rDev -58.7%

Hacker the slacker. Poured a very clear, lighter orange color with a decent head. Quickly dissipated and next to no lacing to talk about.

The smell was not good. Well bad. Stronger notes of what I can best describe as cat urine. I had to look a little into my guess…p-menthane-8-thiol-3-one. Not much of malt nor hop aromas.

The taste continues to be disappointing. On the positive side, the malt notes are more detectable and there is a somewhat smooth flavor. Negative notes are easy to detect, oxidation and cardboard come out strong. Chalky yeast aftertones as well.

The body is light but not watery. The flavor is noticeable but questionable if that is a good thing or bad. Overall, pass.

09-17-2006 02:45:40 | More by Oxymoron

Iowa

11-23-2011 23:47:14 | More by spoonhawk
QXSTER1

2.05/5  rDev -48.1%

I had this on draught recently and was severely disappointed. It was thin and had a metallic taste that made it unpleasant. The trip over must of skunked the keg.

09-30-2001 08:25:32 | More by QXSTER1
DeepSix

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev -44.3%

Had this at Max's German Beer feast. A dark cooper to light amber color. No head, agitation yields nothing, and no lacing.

A mostly malt smell with some hops packed in the, overall not much here.

I thought I would have liked the taste of this much better, not the case. The semi-sweet malt and the bitter hopness did not mix well for my palette. In my mouth it was medium body with a hint of carbonation.

Of the 5 beers I had at the fest I would have said I liked this one the least. Wouldn't have another.

09-15-2008 06:11:30 | More by DeepSix
jujubeast6000

2.2/5  rDev -44.3%

Reviewed 10/15/2005 (bottle):

A moderate malty nut aroma, toasted and a little sour. Appearance is nice, golden brown with an average off-white head with quickly diminished almost completely, small bubbles. A slightly sweet, slightly bitter taste that has something I don't like. Average palate, a little watery.

11-09-2008 17:47:53 | More by jujubeast6000
Chokobo

Wisconsin

2.25/5  rDev -43%

09-30-2012 21:42:22 | More by Chokobo
stouty1

2.35/5  rDev -40.5%

Served in a creme colored ceramc mug. When I got it from the waitress there was no head and no lacing. Not a sign that there ever was a head! Smell was of hops and that was all. Taste was very bland, some lemon. I could taste less than I could smell. Overly carbonated with no taste. I hope it was just a bad pour and I believe it had some to do with the pour.

10-08-2006 23:37:06 | More by stouty1
Guinness4me

2.35/5  rDev -40.5%

As a child, I remember that on some restaurant tables was a bottle of saccharin, that sickly-sweet fluid that just begged to be tasted but made you recoil as a kid. Add some yeast, hops and malt, and you've got this beer in my humble opinion.

It poured as most marzens with a lovely amber color and a pretty head. The head seemed creamy with very tiny bubbles.

The first thought that entered my mind was canteloupe when I smelled this beer, or maybe just sweet melon and sugar.

The taste started ok, but quickly went down hill, not leaving the confines of my mouth until a quick swish of bottled water. The sweet, lingering, saccharin-like aftertaste blanketed the inside of my mouth and just would NOT die.

Drinkability? Not impressed here. Not my taste.

10-10-2004 02:37:59 | More by Guinness4me
mynie

Indiana

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

Made in Februrary of 2005 and drank some 200 days later. The kind of uberbavarian bottle art that makes me proud to be white in a completely non racist way. I mean, damn, look at that chick on that horse!

Nice pour. Tawny ripe pumpkin orange with a solid white head.

Smells of processed, pasturized beer. Caramel malt mixed with 7Up citrus and oregano. Not nice, but not horrendous.

Tastes is about the same--lots of processing covering hints of a marzen that would have been MOR without pasturization and aging. Doesn't taste spoilt, though, just tastes plain old not good.

Good thing this is the last of this year's marzens--now I can start on the warmers!

Edit:

Hmmm....don't want to review a bad bottle, and after reading other reviews I think I might be drinking one that's too old, but this honestly does not have an expired taste to it. I dunno.

11-22-2005 03:21:57 | More by mynie
HardTarget

2.42/5  rDev -38.7%

Brown 500 ml bottle, dated at the lower right with 06 05, paid $2.69 at Whip In.
Aroma: Sweet light malt, candy sweet, with apple and bread aroma mixed in with a slight coppery/blood like smell that seems to fit. Very powerful; Very inviting.
Appearance: Drop dead gorgeous clear orange copper color with a quarter finger off-white/tan head dropping to a thin cover that left trace lacing.
Flavor: The metallic smell is amplified in the taste. It really has that copper penny sensation. I’m working hard to get past that taste, and I am getting underlying goodness: lightly roasted malt, bready yeast, mild apple and grape tastes, but it is really work to get there. The metallic flavor faded a bit as it warmed, but faded to the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, sparkling carbonation, lingering mouthfeel that is slightly oily.
Overall Impression: It’s like there is an Oomph Pa band in my mouth, and all the good and bad that go with that analogy. The cymbals are a bit loud, and the tuba player called in sick. I’m pretty disappointed, I love Oktoberfests, and Hacker-Pschorr is a respected brewer, this one just didn’t click. I’m going to give a moderate review in hopes I got a bad bottle somehow. I’ll revisit, probably next season.

10-20-2004 00:07:36 | More by HardTarget

09-19-2013 03:19:07 | More by MathNut
Padron4KM

Arizona

16.9 oz bottle. Produced on 02/05 stamped on bottom right corner of label
Pours out light amber with a small quickly disappearing tan head.
Aroma is caramel and sweet dough.
Body is flat
Flavor is sweet carmel, sugar, with a very light bittering finish. I expected better

10-02-2005 09:51:01 | More by Padron4KM
Pintofbrown

Iowa

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

The beer was poured from a bottle into a glass stein.

Appearance- There are two fingers of off-white head that has copious amounts of bubbles. So bubbly! It is a standard gold and honey brown body. Maybe a little darker than most O'fest's I've seen, and I've seen at least four! There are slow bubbles rising to the top of the glass.

Smell- It is forward with caramel malts and wheat. There is a little bit of herbal hop mingling rather well, maybe even earthy hops.

Taste- Huh, I'm not sure I like that the first thing I'm tasting are the bittering hops. Especially sense I'm just waiting for those caramel and crystal malts to take off any second. Mid drink, it's coming...The finish, here we go...No? Where is the damn malt? This is a Maerzen is it not? I'll check the bottle again. Nopem not a pilsener. Hmm...

I'm also getting a slightly off putting band-aid flavor. Uh-oh. The finish does have some earthy hops, so all right to that. I wonder if this bottle was infected?

Mouth feel- The feel is way too light, maybe a slightly medium mouth feel, but it's hard to make that argument when the beer tastes watered down. Having no malt to balance things out, the beer finishes slightly abrasive from the hops.

Overall- It started out average, but the complete lack of any kind of malt character on the tongue ruins it a bit. The mouth feel doesn't help matters by being so watery either. I'm not opposed to saying there was something wrong with this bottle, but what I had, this ain't the O'fest you should bother with.

11-04-2011 21:17:22 | More by Pintofbrown
LilBeerDoctor

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

Reviewed on 8/25/08. Bottle. Pours a dark amber with a small light tan head. Aroma of cardboard and sweet roasted malt. Flavor of very sweet malt (some brown sugar) and cardboard still. Bland. Not digging this one...
Aroma: 5/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 5/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 10/20
(2.7/5)

Kharkov

08-29-2012 20:00:46 | More by Kharkov
kinger

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

Lone sixer left on the shelves, marked down priced to sell. I felt bad for the little sixer and what I went there for was gone so I picked up figuring what the heck one last Oktoberfest for the season. Sweet bready light aroma with some loose change metallic scent. Wonderful initial pour medium bronze with a HUGE head that ultimately settles to very thin, some lacing remains on the rim. Easy on the gullet and rather drinkable, aftertaste is mellow. Flavor is grainy, grassy and dang there's that metallic hint. Almost like a nickel was dropped in the glass. It's an alright marzen, would be much better without the metallic hints, according to the bottle it's only about 5 months old so it should still be fresh, just think it's got a touch of the euro-transferitis.

10-29-2008 00:56:42 | More by kinger