Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-MärzenHacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 757 | Hads: 1,606
1.64/5  rDev -58.2%

Hacker the slacker. Poured a very clear, lighter orange color with a decent head. Quickly dissipated and next to no lacing to talk about.

The smell was not good. Well bad. Stronger notes of what I can best describe as cat urine. I had to look a little into my guess…p-menthane-8-thiol-3-one. Not much of malt nor hop aromas.

The taste continues to be disappointing. On the positive side, the malt notes are more detectable and there is a somewhat smooth flavor. Negative notes are easy to detect, oxidation and cardboard come out strong. Chalky yeast aftertones as well.

The body is light but not watery. The flavor is noticeable but questionable if that is a good thing or bad. Overall, pass.

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%

I had this on draught recently and was severely disappointed. It was thin and had a metallic taste that made it unpleasant. The trip over must of skunked the keg.

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

Had this at Max's German Beer feast. A dark cooper to light amber color. No head, agitation yields nothing, and no lacing.

A mostly malt smell with some hops packed in the, overall not much here.

I thought I would have liked the taste of this much better, not the case. The semi-sweet malt and the bitter hopness did not mix well for my palette. In my mouth it was medium body with a hint of carbonation.

Of the 5 beers I had at the fest I would have said I liked this one the least. Wouldn't have another.

2.22/5  rDev -43.4%

Reviewed 10/15/2005 (bottle):

A moderate malty nut aroma, toasted and a little sour. Appearance is nice, golden brown with an average off-white head with quickly diminished almost completely, small bubbles. A slightly sweet, slightly bitter taste that has something I don't like. Average palate, a little watery.

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

As a child, I remember that on some restaurant tables was a bottle of saccharin, that sickly-sweet fluid that just begged to be tasted but made you recoil as a kid. Add some yeast, hops and malt, and you've got this beer in my humble opinion.

It poured as most marzens with a lovely amber color and a pretty head. The head seemed creamy with very tiny bubbles.

The first thought that entered my mind was canteloupe when I smelled this beer, or maybe just sweet melon and sugar.

The taste started ok, but quickly went down hill, not leaving the confines of my mouth until a quick swish of bottled water. The sweet, lingering, saccharin-like aftertaste blanketed the inside of my mouth and just would NOT die.

Drinkability? Not impressed here. Not my taste.

2.38/5  rDev -39.3%

Served in a creme colored ceramc mug. When I got it from the waitress there was no head and no lacing. Not a sign that there ever was a head! Smell was of hops and that was all. Taste was very bland, some lemon. I could taste less than I could smell. Overly carbonated with no taste. I hope it was just a bad pour and I believe it had some to do with the pour.

2.41/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 1

Maybe I got an off batch, but I did not enjoy this beer much at all. I am picking up a medicinal / band aid like flavor in the beer. I could see this beer as having some promise if it weren't for the off flavor that I believe I am perceiving. That is why I gave a poor rating. I will have to revisit this at a later date.....

2.42/5  rDev -38.3%

Made in Februrary of 2005 and drank some 200 days later. The kind of uberbavarian bottle art that makes me proud to be white in a completely non racist way. I mean, damn, look at that chick on that horse!

Nice pour. Tawny ripe pumpkin orange with a solid white head.

Smells of processed, pasturized beer. Caramel malt mixed with 7Up citrus and oregano. Not nice, but not horrendous.

Tastes is about the same--lots of processing covering hints of a marzen that would have been MOR without pasturization and aging. Doesn't taste spoilt, though, just tastes plain old not good.

Good thing this is the last of this year's marzens--now I can start on the warmers!

Hmmm....don't want to review a bad bottle, and after reading other reviews I think I might be drinking one that's too old, but this honestly does not have an expired taste to it. I dunno.

2.54/5  rDev -35.2%

Brown 500 ml bottle, dated at the lower right with 06 05, paid $2.69 at Whip In.
Aroma: Sweet light malt, candy sweet, with apple and bread aroma mixed in with a slight coppery/blood like smell that seems to fit. Very powerful; Very inviting.
Appearance: Drop dead gorgeous clear orange copper color with a quarter finger off-white/tan head dropping to a thin cover that left trace lacing.
Flavor: The metallic smell is amplified in the taste. It really has that copper penny sensation. I’m working hard to get past that taste, and I am getting underlying goodness: lightly roasted malt, bready yeast, mild apple and grape tastes, but it is really work to get there. The metallic flavor faded a bit as it warmed, but faded to the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, sparkling carbonation, lingering mouthfeel that is slightly oily.
Overall Impression: It’s like there is an Oomph Pa band in my mouth, and all the good and bad that go with that analogy. The cymbals are a bit loud, and the tuba player called in sick. I’m pretty disappointed, I love Oktoberfests, and Hacker-Pschorr is a respected brewer, this one just didn’t click. I’m going to give a moderate review in hopes I got a bad bottle somehow. I’ll revisit, probably next season.

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

16.9 oz bottle. Produced on 02/05 stamped on bottom right corner of label
Pours out light amber with a small quickly disappearing tan head.
Aroma is caramel and sweet dough.
Body is flat
Flavor is sweet carmel, sugar, with a very light bittering finish. I expected better

2.56/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed on 8/25/08. Bottle. Pours a dark amber with a small light tan head. Aroma of cardboard and sweet roasted malt. Flavor of very sweet malt (some brown sugar) and cardboard still. Bland. Not digging this one...
Aroma: 5/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 5/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 10/20

2.62/5  rDev -33.2%

The beer was poured from a bottle into a glass stein.

Appearance- There are two fingers of off-white head that has copious amounts of bubbles. So bubbly! It is a standard gold and honey brown body. Maybe a little darker than most O'fest's I've seen, and I've seen at least four! There are slow bubbles rising to the top of the glass.

Smell- It is forward with caramel malts and wheat. There is a little bit of herbal hop mingling rather well, maybe even earthy hops.

Taste- Huh, I'm not sure I like that the first thing I'm tasting are the bittering hops. Especially sense I'm just waiting for those caramel and crystal malts to take off any second. Mid drink, it's coming...The finish, here we go...No? Where is the damn malt? This is a Maerzen is it not? I'll check the bottle again. Nopem not a pilsener. Hmm...

I'm also getting a slightly off putting band-aid flavor. Uh-oh. The finish does have some earthy hops, so all right to that. I wonder if this bottle was infected?

Mouth feel- The feel is way too light, maybe a slightly medium mouth feel, but it's hard to make that argument when the beer tastes watered down. Having no malt to balance things out, the beer finishes slightly abrasive from the hops.

Overall- It started out average, but the complete lack of any kind of malt character on the tongue ruins it a bit. The mouth feel doesn't help matters by being so watery either. I'm not opposed to saying there was something wrong with this bottle, but what I had, this ain't the O'fest you should bother with.

2.76/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Lone sixer left on the shelves, marked down priced to sell. I felt bad for the little sixer and what I went there for was gone so I picked up figuring what the heck one last Oktoberfest for the season. Sweet bready light aroma with some loose change metallic scent. Wonderful initial pour medium bronze with a HUGE head that ultimately settles to very thin, some lacing remains on the rim. Easy on the gullet and rather drinkable, aftertaste is mellow. Flavor is grainy, grassy and dang there's that metallic hint. Almost like a nickel was dropped in the glass. It's an alright marzen, would be much better without the metallic hints, according to the bottle it's only about 5 months old so it should still be fresh, just think it's got a touch of the euro-transferitis.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

A - Pours a light brown, very clear, small head of white foam.

S - Slight lager smell, slight roast. Very little smell.

T - Meh. Best thing to say is that it is slightly sweet on the tail end.

M - Lots of sparkle from the co2, thin to medium.

D - Not bad for a Oktoberfest, but not awesome.

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Had an appealing deep amber and brown color, but no head and not much lacing at all.

S: Toasty malt notes with some spice, a clean aroma, and a tiny hop smell to it as well.

T: Watery and malty, lacking a bit of body. Malt notes came toward the end, somewhat lackluster Marzen. Hint of spice, not much in terms of hops as the smell let on.

M: Again, watery, not very enticing on the palate. Lower carbonation, didn't seem to fit as well with the style. Really expected a bit more.

D: Overall, to have one of these again would be feasible, but not for flavor. Tasted a bit too bland for my tastes, even for a straight-up malty Marzen.

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

Single picked up in honor of Oktoberfest, which was the worst single beer experience of my life. I'm trying to get over holding it against the whole style. Baby steps.

Pours that clear amber that I always associate with lots of malt. Smell is sweet malt & lager yeast, spittoon of caramel.

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest might define that style, but I prefer the Americanized versions (I like Leann Chin chinese, too). Bare bones scaffolding of sweet malts & caramel, handful of acorns. Watery. Drinkable, but only if you're engaged in an activity that diverts all of your attention from your taste buds.

Barely decent & very disappointing. Just had another Octoberfest from an unmarked keg at a party, & it was very good. This is dull.

2.83/5  rDev -27.8%

P: 500ml/9fl oz produced on 02/07 L64671

A: Poured into mug to show a thin burnt amber/brown body with a half finger dirty sheets head even with a vigorous pour could not keep up for more than a few moments and the same to the lace slip sliding down fast.

S: The nose was of toasted caramel, some cooked green apples, dark sugar, but minor vienna malts which I would have expected more of from Hacker.

T: Follows the nose with the caramel, but metallic musty presence ruining the toasted malts and tofee in the background. Perhaps almost two years was too much for this cellared one?

M: Very light with alternating sweet-bitterness dry finish. Dry and sweet with a damp aspect. Sting touched but not very crisp overall from the malts. Breaks down as you move through the glass and gets thinner and watery.

D: What appears as a weak flat beer is in fact a think overly malsted Oktobefests, too much sugar and groggy malts. A weak Marzen I won't try again.

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

A- Transparent dark copper color with a very thin, off-white head.

S- Simple aroma of caramel malt.

T- Light, thin caramel malt flavor and a hint of raisinated dark fruit. A touch of earthy hop bitterness on the finish. Clean but slightly boring.

M, D- Light/medium, drinkable, proper CO2.

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%

Octoberfest sampled in January

A- orange, copper body with some chill haze. White head became sparce rather quickly. Would have liked a deeper copper body.

S- Malty sweetness is predominant in the nose. Rich caramel and toffee made a nice roundout.

T&M- A little off balance to me. It seemed to be out of its peak and suffered from the effects of oxidation. A sharp, but thin, unneccesary bitterness seems to be an off-flavor as opposed to a hop presence. This was lacking the malt backbone that I hope for in a marzen.

D- Not terrible or tough to consume, but with so many other great beers, this will not be on my list again.

2.9/5  rDev -26%

Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest is a crystal clear amber lager with a thin white head that quickly fades to a film. It has a sweet, malty aroma, like bread and caramel. It's pretty light bodied, smooth and a little flat. The finish is a little watery and metallic. It has a faint taste of slightly sweet malt and a little melanoid. There's a touch of leafy bitterness at the finish. The aftertaste is grainy and bready. It's a beer. I don't know if I'd drink more than one of these, but I finished my pint with no problem.

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours out a hazy gold. Very hazy. Good amount of head, retains pretty well.

Smell's extremely pungent. Much like the rest of the Belgian style beers. A lot of citrus as well.

Taste is also very Belgian, a lot of citrus and some deeper wheat tones.

Mouthfeel is very bubbly, lots of carbonation, and very light.

Drinkability is high, very light and refreshing.

2.93/5  rDev -25.3%

Already in the mood for great fall seasonal brew, already kicked started with pumpkin ale, not time to start with a good, authentic German Oktoberfest. Having some German blood in me, I make it mandatory every season and and at least a few times in other parts of the year to have a real, independent German brew. Seeing as I haven't had this one yet, I picked it up.

Enjoy by date: 05/2012

Pours a nice light amber/copper.orange, enabling you to see through it. Very weak head, very little to no lacing.

Light aromas of grain(s), malt and grassiness, with faint tea-like scents. Pretty mediocre on the nose.

Grains, some tea-like and maybe light nuts land on the tongue. Malt is present, but less noticeable than it should be. Low carbonation. Body is rather thin.

It's probably the least Oktoberfest Marzen I've had to date. Less malty, thin body and weak head and lacing hurts the credentials of this brew. it's decent, but you can do a lot better. Many great German Oktoberfest brews out there, this one is a little less.

2.97/5  rDev -24.2%

Apparently this IS the beer sold in North America. After having this, I hope the stuff they kept for Germany is better. Gold pour, big white head, lots of malt and mustiness in the aroma. Good, clean taste of sweet malt and sugary caramel. Decent, but these marzens keep getting weaker and weaker.

2.98/5  rDev -24%

This beer pours a golden amber color with a small head that fals to barely ring the beer. The nose is nice caramel sweetness with the marzen character I have learned to enjoy. The flavor is much more of that marzen bready character, with a hint of caramel. The feel is a bit thin as well. Drinkability is not as bad as the Tabernash, but its a close second. I don't really like this one either very much.

2.98/5  rDev -24%

Poured into my pint glass from a 12fl oz bottle

Has a clear very light amber color with some orange and slight brown added in. Huge three inch light brown head with average head retention that fades and leaves a nice top layer of foam on top of the beer and on the edges. Slight lacing clings to the side of my glass.

Sweet malts dominate the smell with some sugar, molasses and spices. This reminds me of pumpkin pie.

Very mild sweet sugary taste upfront with a hint of caramel and slight minimal hop bitterness which is barely noticeable. Kind of lacks flavor if you ask me.

Very light bodied with medium carbonation. Goes down smooth and is an easy drinker.

This is probably my first Marzen/Octoberfest beer and its decent, nothing special to go out of the way to get it again. I will probably get me one and save it for when thanksgiving comes around. I would love to pair this with pumpkin pie.

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen from Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH