Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 737 | Hads: 1,540
3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

50 cl bottle (bb 05/15) into a lager glass. Clear deep amber body, big white foamy head, good retention, little lacing. Sweet smell of toasted caramel malt. Taste begins with sweet caramel malt, followed by a toasted taste, ending dry with a slight floral hop bitterness to balance out the taste. The aftertaste has toasted malt and floral hop. Medium-light body, medium carbonation. Overall a very smooth and drinkable beer with nice flavor, I could easily have a couple more of these. (486 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle, best by 5/15 on label

pours a bright clear copper color, with fluffy bone-white head. decent head retention. aroma is grainy, a bit nutty. same with taste, decent balance, just a bit sweet. bready, no real hop flavor. thin to medium body, higher carbonation. (281 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a dark copper color in a mug with a 2F head.

Apple-fruit aroma. Different than other Oktoberfests which I have tasted- usually there is a stronger malt presence in the aroma.

Very carbonated and tart.

The aroma carries to the taste which finishes with a tart bitter finish. The fruit deepens with warming.

Overall, a very good Ocktoberfest. (351 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

BBD 05/15 (Original Oktoberfest version). Clear medium amber pour with just a touch of ruby. Exceptional head, lacing and retention. Light nose of biscuit with a touch of caramel and an almost imperceptible noble hop note. Almost medium bodied with a nice almost creamy texture. Above normal carbonation with a very good amount of effervescence on the finish. The exceptional flavor profile is superbly balanced, complex and very flavorful (intensity). It begins with an effervescent explosion of malt - mostly biscuit over a light caramel sweetness. In the middle, a light hop bitterness and noble hop flavor predominate. In the somewhat crisp finish as the bitterness fades, comes the final effervescent burst of lingering hop flavor. This one just edged Ayinger out as my favorite import. (801 characters)

On tap at BC's Pizza and Beer

A: Pours a redish golden amber with a white head.

S: Sweet malt, some floral hops with a hint of apple.

T: Fruity floral hops, lots of apple, caramel malt sweetness, and a little spice.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Very drinkable, but a little sweet. (299 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Sampled this evening on 9/27/14. Comes in a 330ml (11.2 ounce) bottle. From Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH in Munich, Germany. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "Texas Boot".

Pours a nice darker amber in color with a good 2-finger foamy off-white head that last while before settling down to a good 3mm head. Lots of sticky lacing is seen when sipped that sticks to the sides of the 'Texas Boot'. The aroma is of roasted malts, some spice, with a slight metallic/mineral aroma as well. The taste has even a bit more going on with some bready yeast and some caramel malts in the mix as well. Crisp and clean and goes down pretty easy and you don't taste the metallic / mineral aroma. Medium bodied with good carbonation as there are some large bubbles rising up from the bottom and sides of the boot. Overall, a very good Oktoberfest brew. (874 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

A: This beer poured a nice golden amber with a tent of red in it, but crystal clear and good transparency. This brew had a nice off white ring at the top that went away quickly, some minimal lacing as well.

S: Not crazy aroma but the fall is definitely in there, some roasted malts and spice come through right off the bat, a nice scent of cinnamon as well.

T: Upfront like the nose, with some biscuit very present on the tongue as you drink it, some spices are there as well and nice nutmeg notes.

M: Good amount of carbonation, medium bodied and a little sticky.

O: Pretty good brew, very well balanced, with nice notes of fall, and the spice comes through all over on this brew, thoroughly enjoyed this one. (715 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

One of my favorite Oktoberfests. I am always a little turned off initially by the nose...I always pick up something metallic/mineral-ish. The body and taste always makes up for it. Crisp and creamy with lots of toasted malt, tea-like sweetness, and bready with enough hop bitterness to give it some depth.

Prost! (313 characters)

Pretty good. Definite traditional octofest. A little thin on body but hard to beat how everything comes together. Very smooth. An alcohol bite in the end along with German twang. Gets better as I work down the das boot. (222 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a beautiful amber with a short-lasting fizzy white head. No lacing at all. The aroma is mild, bready and lightly sweet. The taste is equally mild and similar in profile with a little earthy hops on the finish. The body is a little thinner, heading towards watery but not quite there. A decent amount of carbonation throughout. Not my favorite German Marzen. (363 characters)

A much lighter and MUCH sweeter version of the Marzen style than I am used to. A little watery on the mouthfeel for the style as well. Overall, a decent beer, but so far my least-favourite Oktoberfest yet. (205 characters)

A: Pours a crystal clear golden amber in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and some golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall foamy beige head that slowly reduces to a mottled thick film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a couple of medium sized thinner spots and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas with toasted and biscuit malts with light aromas of herbal + spicy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of biscuit malts with a light to moderate amount of toasted malts as well. Slightly sweet but that is quickly overtaken by the light flavors of the herbal + spicy hops which contribute a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth and almost creamy.

O: A very nice representation of the style, very easy to drink and quite enjoyable. I could easily have a few of these in an afternoon/evening. (1,058 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

I picked up a bottle of Hacker-Pschorr's Oktoberfest-Marzen last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I was trying to pick up a few Oktoberfests that I've never tired and I realized I haven't had this one before and I thought it was worth a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a good Oktoberfest theme to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear burnt orange amber color that took on more of amber color when held to the light with two fingers of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some small patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some light caramel, light toffee, light toasted and sweet malt like aromas. Up next comes a light apple cider like aroma that's followed by a light doughy malt aroma with some bready aromas coming through. This beer had a nice aroma, that seemed to be true to style.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes that same apple cider aspect that I got in the aroma and this time it seems to show up slightly more and it;s followed by a light amount of doughy yeast. On the finish there isn't any bitterness with some more sweet malt flavors coming through with a bready, light caramel and apple cider like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I could have gone without the apple cider like flavor.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of the carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a solid example of a traditional Oktoberfest beer, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style and everything seemed to be pretty inline with the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, fairly clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention and I think two would be my limit, any more than that and the apple cider aspect might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was good and it was just what I expect from the style. What I like the least about this beer was the apple cider aspect in the taste and aroma, I think I would like this beer a little more if it didn't have that. I might buy this beer again when looking for a traditional Oktoberfest, but it's not something I'm going to keep my fridge stocked up and I would say it's worth a try, but I don't think it's a great example of the style. All in all I thought this was a solid beer, but it was just slightly rough around the edges and I think if it was cleaned up just it little it would be a pretty good example of the style. This wasn't my favorite Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad one and this beer made a decent first impression of this brewery and I would be interested in trying more of there beer. Solid job guys, keep up the consistent work. (3,384 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -14.6%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper color. The head is a finger high, and slightly off-white in shade. The texture is quite good - soft and frothy, with decent retention. Some nice lacing is left on the glass, as well. (3.5)

Smell: Balance is the key word here. Slight caramel maltiness melds very well with a touch of noble hops. There are also some fruity hints. If anything, it's perhaps too subtle for its own good. I imagine it will still be tasty at least. (3.25)

Taste: And it is! Caramel malts open it up, while it ends with a subtle yet lingering hoppiness. Hints of fruitiness are also found. I can't fault this beer's balance at all. Maybe, though, it's a bit TOO balanced for its own good - the individual notes seem to blend together, meaning nothing is really defined that well. (3.25)

Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry, helping to counteract the malty sweetness. The carbonation is nicely restrained, also. As a result, this achieves the drinkability I crave from the style. (3.5)

Overall: Slightly disappointing for a German-brewed marzen. It's a solid enough beer, to be fair, just not a great one. This is definitely a worthy example of the style, but I can also think of other German marzens (and some American ones too!) that I'd rather drink by the pitcher. (3.5)

3.34/5: Pretty good, but I expected more from Ze Fatherland (1,378 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

An amber colored octoberfest beer. Good balance of bitter and malt, malt toast and sweetness come through, but well balanced with the hops which keep this from being a malt forward beer. A medium light body makes this beer very drinkable. (239 characters)

This was my first true, straight from Deutschland, German beer. So, I will do my best to rate this accordingly:

A- As I poured it into a beer snifter, the color was of a strong tea with a redish hue. Head was large and billowy white in color and didn't seem to last long leaving behind a thin, but well developed lace. There seems to be tons of carbonation.

S- The nose was a full on loaf of Bavarian bread that, like a quality loaf of Bavarian bread, had a sweet end note that ended in an ever so light floral note.

T- Much like the nose, I felt as though I were drinking a perfectly buttered piece of fresh whole grain dark-bread. It finished with a slight hopieness that cleaned the palate well in preparation for the next sip. I felt that the build and balance of the beer was spot on as I was not overwhelmed at any point, nor left lacking as though something were missing. An interesting aftereffect that hit me minutes later was a strong taste of cereal that seemed to come out of nowhere, but was in no way unpleasant.

M- The feel is light, thin, smooth, and rather refreshing. The carbonation was not what I expected and seemed to die down quickly. As it warmed some... it almost seemed to go flat.

O- I am normally a double baltic porter or stout man, so if my wife had not brought this back from Germany... I might have never tried it. Once again, the wonderful world of beer has impressed me, and I have found another style to add to my growing list of "MUST DO AGAIN" beers. I think it was a well put together beer from a well reputed brewer. Next time... I'll have to enjoy more than one! (1,607 characters)

picked up a 24 pack at costco not knowing what it was. 22 bucks....can't beat the deal
pleasantly surprised. a delicious, light Oktoberfest....pretty refreshing on a hot day (174 characters)

Deep damn amber, deeper than most without finding a new adjective. Just a bit of white head. Nice looker. Soft on the nose (compared to GL Oktober for example). Shined though on the taste... such a sophisticated balance. Mouthfeel was v. appropriate to style. Such a balance and enjoyability I may have not experienced in Oktoberfest... opening some eyes as we speak. (367 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really tasty oktoberfest. Pours a medium brown with very little to speak of in terms of head or lacing along the glass. Smell is sweet, malty -- hints of raisin. Taste is also sweet -- raisin, slight caramel, slight chocolate, almost syrupy. All in all - pretty delicious. Great session beer for the fall. (305 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a copper color with great clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass.

Smell: Caramel, toasted malts, grassy hops, and lager yeast.

Taste: Sweet caramel and toasted malts, biscuit, yeasty, and mild grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, malty, a little chewy, medium bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Its a good Oktoberfest, but more yeasty and grassy than I would like. (512 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: translucent reddish amber; off-white head, fades quickly;
S: malty, slightly yeasty, floral, a bit papery
T: roasted malt, yeast, hops
M:medium-bodied, smooth, coating, just a touch savory
O: a pure marzen, smooth and just a bit savory. I think my rDev's going to be a bit low, but that's not a knock on a remarkable marzen..

250mL / Tulip Glass / Schmankerl Stube, Hagerstown, MD (385 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a 0,5l H-P mug at Horseshoe Pub in Hudson, MA.

A: Beautiful amber copper color with an off white head.

S: As you'd expect...super malty with plenty of roasted and sweet aromas. Some dried fruit in there as well. Smells like a cool, fall night.

T: Bready, slightly fruity, and big on the malt. Not cloying and not too sweet, the roasted malt is spot on.

M: Smooth, clean, and delicious. Not at all cloying as some beers of this style can be. Great body and carbonation.

O: I've been waiting to have this again for a while and I'm glad I had it on tap. Such a great example of the style. Perfectly executed. (620 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a seriously dark amber color. Nice, fluffy, white head atop. Decent retention, drops to a very thick film.
Smell is malt, caramel, biscuity, and a wee hint of light fruit, pears probably, maybe somegreen grapes. Good balance.
Taste is malt, biscuit, grapes, apple and pear, yeast. Nice balance.
Less than medium body, light effervescence, drying finish, fruit and malt take over the aftertaste. Good and mellow. (420 characters)

It poured a clear deep amber with a full white head. The aroma was malt and malt only with caramel malt as the dominant aroma. The taste followed suit with a perfect sweet malt that was fully committed to the nutty caramel malt profile with little to no hop presence. It’s was a fully malt embraced beer that makes me want to be in the big tents in Munich hoisting a stein. Hacker-Pschorr is excellent Oktoberfest that is a signature of the season. (450 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured in a SA Lager glass. Thick head with great retention and lacing with each sip. This marzen style lager is spot on. great Munich Malt up front flavor and lower hop bitterness in the aftertaste. I make a point to pick up a rack or two of this each year and look forward to it above most Octoberfests. One of my favorite beers period. This is my top non-weisn style of the season and yes I have had Ayinger! (411 characters)

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen from Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH