Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 767 | Hads: 1,651

A: Pours a crystal clear golden amber in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and some golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall foamy beige head that slowly reduces to a mottled thick film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a couple of medium sized thinner spots and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas with toasted and biscuit malts with light aromas of herbal + spicy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of biscuit malts with a light to moderate amount of toasted malts as well. Slightly sweet but that is quickly overtaken by the light flavors of the herbal + spicy hops which contribute a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth and almost creamy.

O: A very nice representation of the style, very easy to drink and quite enjoyable. I could easily have a few of these in an afternoon/evening.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

I picked up a bottle of Hacker-Pschorr's Oktoberfest-Marzen last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I was trying to pick up a few Oktoberfests that I've never tired and I realized I haven't had this one before and I thought it was worth a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a good Oktoberfest theme to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear burnt orange amber color that took on more of amber color when held to the light with two fingers of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some small patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some light caramel, light toffee, light toasted and sweet malt like aromas. Up next comes a light apple cider like aroma that's followed by a light doughy malt aroma with some bready aromas coming through. This beer had a nice aroma, that seemed to be true to style.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes that same apple cider aspect that I got in the aroma and this time it seems to show up slightly more and it;s followed by a light amount of doughy yeast. On the finish there isn't any bitterness with some more sweet malt flavors coming through with a bready, light caramel and apple cider like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I could have gone without the apple cider like flavor.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of the carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a solid example of a traditional Oktoberfest beer, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style and everything seemed to be pretty inline with the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, fairly clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention and I think two would be my limit, any more than that and the apple cider aspect might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was good and it was just what I expect from the style. What I like the least about this beer was the apple cider aspect in the taste and aroma, I think I would like this beer a little more if it didn't have that. I might buy this beer again when looking for a traditional Oktoberfest, but it's not something I'm going to keep my fridge stocked up and I would say it's worth a try, but I don't think it's a great example of the style. All in all I thought this was a solid beer, but it was just slightly rough around the edges and I think if it was cleaned up just it little it would be a pretty good example of the style. This wasn't my favorite Oktoberfest, but it's not a bad one and this beer made a decent first impression of this brewery and I would be interested in trying more of there beer. Solid job guys, keep up the consistent work.

3.34/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper color. The head is a finger high, and slightly off-white in shade. The texture is quite good - soft and frothy, with decent retention. Some nice lacing is left on the glass, as well. (3.5)

Smell: Balance is the key word here. Slight caramel maltiness melds very well with a touch of noble hops. There are also some fruity hints. If anything, it's perhaps too subtle for its own good. I imagine it will still be tasty at least. (3.25)

Taste: And it is! Caramel malts open it up, while it ends with a subtle yet lingering hoppiness. Hints of fruitiness are also found. I can't fault this beer's balance at all. Maybe, though, it's a bit TOO balanced for its own good - the individual notes seem to blend together, meaning nothing is really defined that well. (3.25)

Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry, helping to counteract the malty sweetness. The carbonation is nicely restrained, also. As a result, this achieves the drinkability I crave from the style. (3.5)

Overall: Slightly disappointing for a German-brewed marzen. It's a solid enough beer, to be fair, just not a great one. This is definitely a worthy example of the style, but I can also think of other German marzens (and some American ones too!) that I'd rather drink by the pitcher. (3.5)

3.34/5: Pretty good, but I expected more from Ze Fatherland

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

An amber colored octoberfest beer. Good balance of bitter and malt, malt toast and sweetness come through, but well balanced with the hops which keep this from being a malt forward beer. A medium light body makes this beer very drinkable.

This was my first true, straight from Deutschland, German beer. So, I will do my best to rate this accordingly:

A- As I poured it into a beer snifter, the color was of a strong tea with a redish hue. Head was large and billowy white in color and didn't seem to last long leaving behind a thin, but well developed lace. There seems to be tons of carbonation.

S- The nose was a full on loaf of Bavarian bread that, like a quality loaf of Bavarian bread, had a sweet end note that ended in an ever so light floral note.

T- Much like the nose, I felt as though I were drinking a perfectly buttered piece of fresh whole grain dark-bread. It finished with a slight hopieness that cleaned the palate well in preparation for the next sip. I felt that the build and balance of the beer was spot on as I was not overwhelmed at any point, nor left lacking as though something were missing. An interesting aftereffect that hit me minutes later was a strong taste of cereal that seemed to come out of nowhere, but was in no way unpleasant.

M- The feel is light, thin, smooth, and rather refreshing. The carbonation was not what I expected and seemed to die down quickly. As it warmed some... it almost seemed to go flat.

O- I am normally a double baltic porter or stout man, so if my wife had not brought this back from Germany... I might have never tried it. Once again, the wonderful world of beer has impressed me, and I have found another style to add to my growing list of "MUST DO AGAIN" beers. I think it was a well put together beer from a well reputed brewer. Next time... I'll have to enjoy more than one!

picked up a 24 pack at costco not knowing what it was. 22 bucks....can't beat the deal
pleasantly surprised. a delicious, light Oktoberfest....pretty refreshing on a hot day

Deep damn amber, deeper than most without finding a new adjective. Just a bit of white head. Nice looker. Soft on the nose (compared to GL Oktober for example). Shined though on the taste... such a sophisticated balance. Mouthfeel was v. appropriate to style. Such a balance and enjoyability I may have not experienced in Oktoberfest... opening some eyes as we speak.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really tasty oktoberfest. Pours a medium brown with very little to speak of in terms of head or lacing along the glass. Smell is sweet, malty -- hints of raisin. Taste is also sweet -- raisin, slight caramel, slight chocolate, almost syrupy. All in all - pretty delicious. Great session beer for the fall.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a copper color with great clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass.

Smell: Caramel, toasted malts, grassy hops, and lager yeast.

Taste: Sweet caramel and toasted malts, biscuit, yeasty, and mild grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, malty, a little chewy, medium bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Its a good Oktoberfest, but more yeasty and grassy than I would like.

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: translucent reddish amber; off-white head, fades quickly;
S: malty, slightly yeasty, floral, a bit papery
T: roasted malt, yeast, hops
M:medium-bodied, smooth, coating, just a touch savory
O: a pure marzen, smooth and just a bit savory. I think my rDev's going to be a bit low, but that's not a knock on a remarkable marzen..

250mL / Tulip Glass / Schmankerl Stube, Hagerstown, MD

4.35/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a 0,5l H-P mug at Horseshoe Pub in Hudson, MA.

A: Beautiful amber copper color with an off white head.

S: As you'd expect...super malty with plenty of roasted and sweet aromas. Some dried fruit in there as well. Smells like a cool, fall night.

T: Bready, slightly fruity, and big on the malt. Not cloying and not too sweet, the roasted malt is spot on.

M: Smooth, clean, and delicious. Not at all cloying as some beers of this style can be. Great body and carbonation.

O: I've been waiting to have this again for a while and I'm glad I had it on tap. Such a great example of the style. Perfectly executed.

3.92/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a seriously dark amber color. Nice, fluffy, white head atop. Decent retention, drops to a very thick film.
Smell is malt, caramel, biscuity, and a wee hint of light fruit, pears probably, maybe somegreen grapes. Good balance.
Taste is malt, biscuit, grapes, apple and pear, yeast. Nice balance.
Less than medium body, light effervescence, drying finish, fruit and malt take over the aftertaste. Good and mellow.

It poured a clear deep amber with a full white head. The aroma was malt and malt only with caramel malt as the dominant aroma. The taste followed suit with a perfect sweet malt that was fully committed to the nutty caramel malt profile with little to no hop presence. It’s was a fully malt embraced beer that makes me want to be in the big tents in Munich hoisting a stein. Hacker-Pschorr is excellent Oktoberfest that is a signature of the season.

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured in a SA Lager glass. Thick head with great retention and lacing with each sip. This marzen style lager is spot on. great Munich Malt up front flavor and lower hop bitterness in the aftertaste. I make a point to pick up a rack or two of this each year and look forward to it above most Octoberfests. One of my favorite beers period. This is my top non-weisn style of the season and yes I have had Ayinger!

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, clear, golden-amber color with 2 fingers of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very malty and bready, but with a pronounced floral hops aroma as well. I also get some caramel sweetness.

Taste: Malty backbone, but a much higher hops presence that other Oktoberfest beers that I’ve had, especially from a German brewery. There’s also a pronounced sweetness to the beer, as well as some citrus notes of lemon and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium, but a little on the thinner side, and with little to no carbonation. With an ABV of 5.8%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a very good Oktoberfest from one of Munich’s breweries, but it’s not my favorite, which is Paulaner. That being said, I’d still drink this beer all day and love doing it!

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass, color amber, transparent, great finely bubbled head that presents 1/2" thick then dissipates with light lacing and leaving a ring.

Smell is just as you would expect, light sweet malt, vienna and/or munich, fresh clean hops, no off flavors.

Taste is clean, wonderful pleasant flavors, vienna and/or munich malts, hints of biscuit or toast, clean grassy hops, nice light bitterness.

Mouthfeel is where this beer out performs, great light lingering flavors, nice bitterness and carbonation combination. Very easily drinkable.

Overall, a great marzen, one of the best in terms of balance and subtle flavors.

3.84/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap in a pint glass.

A- Copper kettle brown color. Nice white head and lacing.

S-Strong bready nose; toast, caramel malt, spice. It smells a bit sweet but...

T...it's not sweet at all. Bready, some spice and minimal hops.

M- Light carbonation, smooth and easy. Long dry finish.

O- Marzen-Octoberfest is a favorite lager style of mine. This is a good example why.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle. Best before May 2014. Served in a standard pint.

Appearance: Pours a copper orange color with 2 fingers of an off white head. Body is clear with some light carbonation visible.

Smell: Sweet bready malt, slightly spicy, walnuts, slightly grainy.

Taste: Follows the aroma. Nice malt sweetness upfront balanced in the finish by a light dose of earthy hops. In the middle of the mouth are flavors of dark bread, slight roast and a distinct nuttiness.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, crisp and smooth. Virtually no alcohol presence. Drinkability very high.

Overall: Solid Oktoberfest beer. Not the best of the bunch, but still worth a try.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer makes you wish every fest was Oktoberfest. Sweet yet full-bodied. Amber colored yet wheat like. Light yet satisfying. Goes great with food (like brats at my next tailgate next Saturday) or by itself. And it's fun to try in different glasses--from steins to a weizen glass--to compare. Life is good. Prost!

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

BBD: 05/14
Served in a Hacker-Pschorr Bräurosl-Weisse fest glass.

Transparent copper amber color, slow trails of rising carb visible. Long lasting head of frothy foam, lacing all around the glass. A brief swirl rekindles the head immediately, and it remains for the duration of the glass.

Wet grains and toast in the aroma.

Clean and smooth, lightly toasted bready grains, maybe sunflower seeds, and a very mild hint of bitterness in the aftertaste that is barely there. Easily drinkable. Simple and classic, a traditional example to judge others against I suppose.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

0.5 liter bottle into dimpled mug.
Deep deep amber bordering on brown. Perfectly white head holds strong all the way down the glass.
Toasted bread and minerals and toasted cashews and chestnuts and brown sugar with a little whiff of some grassy herbal hops. Winderfully aromatic.
The taste isn't quite as top notch as the aroma, but it isn't all that far off. Again with the toasty flavor but it's not as sweet and as full bodied and flavoured as the nose might suggest. Still nice and rich. After a good dose of these deeply toasted malts the hop bitterness clips it off. Then, of course, with a beer as good as this one, you need to go back for another gulp. Pretty dry for the style.
Easily the best amber oktoberfest, and for me the best oktoberfest period. Paulaner's amber version I suppose has some similarities but it's much much sweeter and not quite as layered.
Fantasic drink. Autumn in a glass.

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I wait all year for this beer and the 5 other Oktoberfest beers arrive in my local store. I only acknowledge the 6 beers from Munich as true Oktoberfest beers the others are someone’s interpretation of a fest beer. This one is great, every aspect is pleasing, as a matter of fact the only way it could be better would be having served in the Hacker & Pschorr tent in Munich.

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This Beer was absent from the Pacific Northwest for a year. Finally found it at my favorite store (Malt & Vine). Previously available in bomber sized bottles, now in a 6-pack of 11.2 oz bottles. I'm not complaining. This is the perfect beer, in my humble opinion. Certainly the best of the Oktoberfests I have tried and probably the best beer, apologies to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

4.43/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On draught at a local Oktoberfest! One liter stein

Three finger beige head, with a light brown body! Moderate carbonation

Smell: Biscuits, raisins, malt, and cinnamon

Taste: Malt, biscuits, bread, and a spicy hop finish at the end

Mouthfeel: Thick

Overall, this is a brilliant beer! This could be my favorite Oktoberfest bier!

Ein Prosit!

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Deep amber but not quite copper in color. Good head formation and retention. Aroma is both biscuity-malty and fragrantly hoppy. Butterscotch malt presence with floral notes from noble hops.

While malt-forward as is the norm for the style, there's a moderate bitterness (as far as Marzens go) that lends a crisp, refreshing flavor. Bready, cracker-like grain flavor. Slick, smooth texture with just enough carbonation. Clean, simple, versatile, and just plain tasty.

H-P's Oktoberfest is one of those rare beers that you can enjoy glass after glass of. One of my go-to 'fests and a top pick among the many Marzens that flood the shelves each fall.

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen from Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH