Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a short pilsner glass. No freshness date.

A: Light brown leather color with ample off-white 1-2 finger head and a few strands of lace.

S: Lovely nutty and mild leafy hops aromas

T: Very drinkable with rich, malty, nutty flavors that are blended nicely with fresh hoppy marzen flavor that is not overly bitter but attention-getting.

M: Medium-bodied with lingering sweet aftertaste.

D: One of the best marzen's from the German collection -- of the darker variation which I enjoy better than the lighter version (see Spaten and Hofbrau).

argock, Sep 17, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Perfectly clear, but very dark, amber. An off-white two finger head forms and retains reasonably well, eventually dissipating to a ring. This beer pours darker than most, perhaps truer to the origins of the style.

Smell: Fruity; dates and plums. Slightly mineral. Spicy; cinnamon and nutmeg. Malty, but not overly sweet. Complex and difficult to pick apart.

Taste & mouthfeel: Curiously fruity compared to other examples of the style I've had, but it works. This isn't an estery Belgian or anything; rather, it's got a clean, malty flavor up front with a bit of date and raisin to support it. The texture is pleasingly light and crisp, and the finish is perfectly dry. Lots of flavor on display here for the moderate ABV, and drinkability is through the roof.

largadeer, Sep 17, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -44.3%

Had this at Max's German Beer feast. A dark cooper to light amber color. No head, agitation yields nothing, and no lacing.

A mostly malt smell with some hops packed in the, overall not much here.

I thought I would have liked the taste of this much better, not the case. The semi-sweet malt and the bitter hopness did not mix well for my palette. In my mouth it was medium body with a hint of carbonation.

Of the 5 beers I had at the fest I would have said I liked this one the least. Wouldn't have another.

DeepSix, Sep 15, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

clear amber color with yellow highlights around the edges of a large dimpled stein, nice foamy head... beautiful enough to smash over the heads of even the lowliest invaders of the fatherland

smell cereal and honey, heavy malt aroma, the fatherland is calling

taste is honey, toasted grain, caramel and then some slight almost imperceptible bitterness leftover from the mistakes of our youth in the fatherland, a reminder perhaps that does not leave us ourselves bitter, but wise enough to celebrate the times that are sweet with more vigor in the fatherland

mouthfeel is medium to light... carbonation is present but minor, id say well balanced in this case

this is like eating breakfast, which is the most important meal of the day and enables us to approach our duty and labor towards glory in das vaterland!

German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German song
Shall retain in the world
Their old beautiful Chime
And inspire us to noble deeds
During all of our life.
|: German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German song! :|

loosey, Sep 14, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle poured in to an imperial pint glass.

Pours a clear, light brown with a nice offwhite head.

smell is of toasted malts, maybe some floral, and caramel.

Nice malty taste that is not dopplebock sweet, but balanced by some light hopping.

Nice creamy mouthfeel and the balance make this a very easy to drink beer. What I expect in an Octoberfest.

aubuc1, Sep 14, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -3%

Smells of sweet bread and pours a dark, burnt orange. One of the darkest O-fest beers I've seen. The flavor is fairly weak, like burnt raisins with some ESB type bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel seems a bit light for the style.

Not one of the best O-fest's I've had, but drinkable.

Reanimator, Sep 14, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark copper colored amber with an off-white head.

S- Now this is how Oktoberfests are supposed to smell. The aroma is sweet malt, caramel and toasted grain.

T- The taste is definitely on the malty side like an Oktoberfest should be with a mild hop presence in the finish. There is a lot of toasted malt and caramel in the taste, very nice.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- This is a very tasty Oktoberfest that is borderline sessionable.

Overall, Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest is a really solid brew. After having two supbar domestic O-Fests earlier in the day, this brew really stands out as one of the better examples of the style.

cjgator3, Sep 14, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz. bottle served in my SA Sensory pint. 05/08 printed on the label. Poured a translucent copper with a quarter inch loose, off-white head the quickly dissipated; remnants coalesced around the shoulders and also coagulated in the center of the glass. Nose was caramel, malt, grains and a toasted/nutty aroma. Taste consistent with nose, with the caramel coming forth a little bolder. Some slight hops bittering detectable towards the back. Mouthfeel is between light and medium with a balanced level of carbonation throughout the mouth. Nice marzen. Not my favorite style, but this is a solid example of what an Oktoberfest beer should be. Prost!

Jwale73, Sep 13, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle, 5.8% ABV. Bottled 06/08. Pours a clear, darker amber color. Tan foamy head holds together well for a few minutes.

Toasty, bready malt aroma. A bit of earthy hops in the background. Pretty clean, and appropriate nose.

Caramel malt up front. Malt is bready, and just a bit toasty. Just a bit of sweetness. Just enough earthy hops at the finish to keep things well balanced.

Light to medium body, with a fair amount of carbonation. Very easy to drink. Very enjoyable. This just screams Oktoberfest to me. Very good.

Bierguy5, Sep 13, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

pour is a clear light orange with a small off-white head, and some lacing.

smell is faint, caramel, few hops, subtle malts, some grain, and touch of roasted nuts.

taste is crisp, light caramel, nutty, and malts, ends dry and just a touch bitter.

nice oktoberfest.

froghop, Sep 13, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

A- Transparent caramel color that doesn't produce much of a head and fades quickly to a thin collar. Little lacing is left behind in the glass. Bubbles can be seen rising to the top. Decent for the style. Doesn't appear watered down.

S- Nose is mild and consists of caramel malt, pale malt, and hops. I can't really identify what type of hops...but they are definately there.

T- Much like the smell initial flavor of caramel and German pale malt with a touch of hoppy flavor overtone. The finish is much like the initial flavor but the hops come out just a wee bit more. Nothing lingers which makes you want more.

M- Nice lightweight lager mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Goes down really easy. Not too thin.

D- This is another good O-fest beer. Very drinkable and good. Nothing particularly special but I was happy to finally try an O-fest made in Germany.

PittBeerGirl, Sep 12, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured in to a tumbler. Very dark amber with a one finger head that left almost no lacing behind.

Smelled of sweet malts, caramel stuck out with a bit of spice behind it that I could not put my finger on.

Taste was very sweet, lots of sweet malts and good o-fest flavors. Almost no bitterness to it and just a very good beer all around.

The body of this was a little heavy, it had the carbonation to make up for it in the mouthfeel but I could not see myself drinking a lot of this. While this tasted slightly better than my usual Spaten Oktoberfest, if given a choice between the two I would choose Spaten for it's lighter body.

mullenite, Sep 11, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a reddish amber color with a short living head.

Scent is malty with a good amount of grain and some cherry as well.

Taste is similar to the scent, starts out with mats and grain with some cherry coming in. Finish is grainy with a bit more cherry. It is a little watery though and too thin for my taste.

Mouthfeel is clean with and slightly dry.

Not my first choice for a Marzen, but I did enjoy it.

paco1029384756, Sep 11, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -29.1%

A - Pours a light brown, very clear, small head of white foam.

S - Slight lager smell, slight roast. Very little smell.

T - Meh. Best thing to say is that it is slightly sweet on the tail end.

M - Lots of sparkle from the co2, thin to medium.

D - Not bad for a Oktoberfest, but not awesome.

enfield249, Sep 10, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass.
A. Pours a beautiful clear amber. Plenty of carbonation. A small fluffy white head with good amount of lacing.
S. Smells of sweet caramel malts. A floral hop aroma.
T. This is the best tasting Oktoberfest I experienced. A great mixture of caramel biscuity malts. Roasted/toasted sweet malts. A nice hop presence with floral notes.A slightly bitter hop bite. Crisp and clean.
M.The mouthfeel is crisp and clean. A smooth drinker.
D. Drinkability is sky high. Smooth, crisp and clean. This beer is easy to drink. It tastes great with a lot of flavor. Next time I will definitely drink more than one.

oneeye, Sep 08, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Reddish/orange/amber in color, a bit frothy at the start, settled into a fine, cask-like head.

Transparent, lager-y look, and smell. Slight spice in the nose, nothing crazy. Sort of bored by this. Weird background taste, sweet up front. Not my favorite Marzen around, and I enjoy the style in general.

USCTrojanBrian, Sep 06, 2008

A - Poured out a clear, amber/burgandy color with a good deal of carbonation. It had a bubbly, tan, two-finger head that left a little lace.

S - I smelled of caramel, earthy hops and grains.

T - It tasted of sweet caramel malt and toffee. There was also a light grassy hop kick.

M - It was soft and smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a very nice o-fest. A nice sweet flavor with a good balance of hops.

zeff80, Sep 05, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Pours a soapy 1 finger head, offering minimal lacing, into my 1L hacker pschorr fest mug. After about 1 minute, the head is pretty much a thin cap. The body has no sediment, but is a nice amber color.

S- Has a serious cleaning product smell. Light hops, citrus, touch of caramel. A little odd..

T- Starts nice and full with notes of caramel, biscuit, dry hops and has a nice dry finish. Nice.

M- Medium mouthfeel is great. I can see it being excellent at scrubbing the schnitzel off my tongue.

D- 5.8% is a touch high, but, what the hell, it's oktoberfest. Drink up!

Greggy, Sep 05, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Served from a 12 oz bottle in Columbia, PA

The beer pours a lovely, amber-brown with a 2-finger head into a 16 oz glass.

The smells are of mild yeast and grain.

The taste is quite nice with hints of chocolate, caramel and toasted grain. There is a bit of hop bitterness that really balances nicely with the sweetness of the malt. There is a bit of warming-alcohol taste and a clean finish.

The beer has a light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

This is a tasty, quaffable brew but nowhere near as remarkable as their Hefe Weisse.

Tucquan, Sep 03, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Produced, so I imagine it's still fairly fresh, though not as fresh as getting it right from the source.

Appearance: Lighter amber color with a soapy off-white head going down fairly quickly, leaving not a lot of carbonation and little head retention. I'm pretty sure this glass needs to be cleaned a bit more, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Smell: Sweeter malt flavors with a brown sugar and caramel edge, along with mild toasted grain and bread dough and crust flavors, mild twang from what I assume to be some hop bitterness.

Taste: Sweetness all around, but nothing too sweet, and it's balanced. Maple, caramel, and vanilla flavors with I think a hint of smoke, some doughy and bread crust flavors, and bit of toasted grain. Finish could be longer and richer, but it's nice, and lets the hops come through a bit in a lighter sense, letting the malt flavors pretty much do their thing.

Mouthfeel: More medium-bodied than many I've had, and a bit welcomingly meaty, though there's too much of a slickness to this, as you can see the carbonation's not as much as I'd hoped, and it lends that watery feel to the body.

Drinkability: I'm glad I got to try this, as I bought a 12-pack in excitement for the upcoming fall, and I'm glad I did. I had it out of the bottle and it seems to be less tasty, oddly, in the glass. Maybe, again, it's the glass, I'm not sure. But you really can't go wrong with a brew from the masters, especially one I've yet to see in Richmond (I think) until now, even though it's seemingly pretty popular.

asabreed, Sep 03, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

Produced on 05/08
Pours a dark copper with 2" of white head that had relatively good retention. Not much lacing is left on the glass during consumption.

Has a nice toasted malt aroma. There is a definate hop presence with spice and an earthiness filling the nose.

Nicely balance flavor of malt and hops. The hops are more assertive in this beer than other Oktoberfests. Finishes with a spice note but otherwise very clean with little aftertaste.

Lighter body and the carbonation seems a little harsh but otherwise nothing to point out.

I like the hops in this beer. Easier for me to drink than the heavier, malty Oktoberfests.

morimech, Aug 30, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 1pt. Euro-style bottle into a Weiss glass.

A - Clear amber color. The pour produced a decent head of slightly off-white foam. Good carbonation and lacing also noted.

S - Yeasty/bready. Slightly metallic with hints of herbs.

T - Malty with slightly fruity/herbal hop notes.

MF&D - Crisp and easy drinking. An enjoyable session beer.

nasty15108, Aug 27, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A. Served on tap into a large beer mug. Light brown with a bit of head that dissipated to nothing.

S. Malts, as it warms, some light fruit as well.

T. Initially just a malt bomb, after warming a bit the malts provided a fruity taste almost like berries. It was interesting. Hops are overshadowed by the impessive malt character.

M. Medium bodied and smooth.

D. For 3 bucks on tap you can't really beat it. Its pretty good stuff too, one of the better O-fests Ive come accross.

Stinkypuss, Aug 27, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Pours deep orange with a light, sticky off white head that quickly blends back into the beer but retains an obvious viscosity. No visible lacing. The color is maybe a little darker and a little less vibrant than I like my Oktoberfests but still very good. The aroma is like mellow, unsweetened cornbread. Medium mouthfeel. I like it heavy and Munich saturated and this is a little less extreme. The taste is, like most other aspects of the beer, malty and moderate. Well balanced Munich, Pils, and Vienna.. well maybe unbalanced towards the Pils side. It's like a Pils painted Oktoberfest colors. Interesting hop profile working with the sweetness- just enough bitterness to create a little play between the two. My only issue is that I like my Oktoberfests thick and malty like you're swimming in a mash tun filled with Munich malt in Bamberg and this takes it a little easy. Unfortunately, Oktoberfests are like my heroin- I had a Sam Adams Oktoberfest a couple years ago and it blew my mind. Now it sort of tastes like a lot of the rest and I can't recreate that experience so it looks like I'm doomed to chase the Oktoberfest dragon for eternity.

wiseguy142, Aug 25, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

$2.25 for a 12oz bottle, packed in brown glass, so hopefully no skunk like the spaten oktoberfest. 5.8% ABV. Pours out to a brilliantly clear light amber, forming a modest white head with good retention and moderate lacing. The aroma is of faint caramel, freshly mown hay, a little cellar dust, a clean ferment, and distant delicate hops (Saaz?). Very pilsner-esque. Light to medium bodied, with a crisp mouthfeel.The taste opens with a little suggestion of caramel, really caramelized malts, as though they just scorched the wort a little, followed by a little bit of grass, some moderate herbal bitterness, a watery finish and a woodsy and unpleasant chemical bitter aftertaste.

I'm not very impressed. Oktoberfest's aren't really my favorite style, and this doesn't have alot going for it. I would much prefer a true marzen or vienna-style lager over this, and I recall Ayinger having a very solid offering in this cateogry. Then again, maybe it needs to be drunk in mass quantities in order to bolster it's appeal:)

Mitchster, Aug 25, 2008