Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse (Weisse Dark) - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse (Weisse Dark)Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse (Weisse Dark)

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse (Weisse Dark) Alström Bros

2.35/5  rDev -41.1%

If this stuff wasn't crafted in 1516 by Martin Luther himself (I'm lying) foretelling the birth and brilliance of Richard Wagner (aka the white Redd Foxx)(Again I'm lying.) I'd say it could pass for a jailhouse beer of bread, water and sugar sifted through a sweaty t-shirt. Not that it's a terribly crafted beer but it tastes like Kroger Wheat Bread liquified into a weak cider and then thickened with whole milk. Very malty and creamy but a copper dark instead of the midnite brown I prefer whilst drinking in the hot flames of hell (In fact if I was standing on Satan's shoulders with my skin peeling off I'd drink a schwarzbier.)(Not lying).

2.45/5  rDev -38.6%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a big giant head. The smell was sour and sweet. The beer cloudy. The beer tasted rotten sour. If you like sour rotten beer the by all means drink this. Beer should not be sour I don't care which country likes it makes it or loves it. It is just wrong.

2.53/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From notes on March 1 06. Sampled in the bottle at King Street Grille in Charleston.

Poured into a frosted glass from a 12oz bottle. Head that forms leaves quickly and leaves no lacing or any signs of its presence. Beer is a chill hazed, dark, burnt orange color. Very little carbonation.

Not a whole lot in the aroma department. Quite fruity but pretty much devoid of any other aromas. Citrusy and lemony with orange rinds in the aroma.

For some reason, the immediate flavor that I noticed was sort of a ballpark hotdog with spicy mustard flavor. I know that sounds weird but that is what I tasted. Also tasted some bubble gums. Fruity as well. Hints of yeast. Hotdog was a bit offputting but the overall taste was pleasant.

Carbonation was pretty strong. Soda like in carbonation. I didnt like that. Almost tastes like a Dr Pepper. Fair drinkability. Too many of these beers and bloatiness will take effect.

2.58/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured hazy brown, nice thick white head, slowly diminishing to a strong lace. Aroma seemed a little off, some sour smell, and something else that just smelled bad. Flavor was of strong banana, and then some strong sourness in the end, which stuck around on the palate for for too long. I wasn't impressed with this one.

2.85/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The color is a clear but dark gold. Has a thin, dishsoap head that suprisingly sticks around for a bit.

It is a sweet but very pungent dark wheat flavor. Very sour.

The beer may be too old (drank in October, brewed in April). It has a stale, cellared flavor. Very sour and pungent, and not in a pleasant way. Apparently this beer doesn't age very well.

You would think that this beer would be thick, but it is much thinner than expected. The aftertaste is sour and not in the way I think the brewer intended. It has too much of an overwhelming alcohol flavor to be the smooth dunkel-weisse I was hoping for. Apparently it doesn't age very well.

2.88/5  rDev -27.8%

This beer poured a nice dark color for a weisse. It had an estery aroma that was dominated by bananas. The flavors in this beer however seemed not to mix well. Strong banana taste with some clove but there was also a roasted barley flavor. It ended with a slight acidic sourness that did not seem to be in place. I am going to try this again and maybe change my review if I find the next bottle better.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%

I did not like this beer all that much as the flavor was a little off to me. The appearance was nice with a hazy brown color and a good amount of head. Odors of bananas and grains. Flavor profile had some cloves, bananas and a dominant flavor that I could not identify but was not really keen on. I will probably try another bottle from another store to see if it is better, but overall I was a bit disappointed.

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from the bottle into a frosty mug.

The color is dark amber, slightly hazy with some slight white head. No lacing.

The smell is a hearty wheat flavor. It feels like the the dark labels temple to ray in. It was just what the doctor ordered. A mix of wet hops and some sweet malts.

The taste i just a problematic mineral vice. It has just the right amount of flavor with some roasted malt and well as a wheaty/fruity flavor to this beer as well.

This beer has a medium body and is pretty carbonated. It has some nice drinkability and is pretty easy on the palate.

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Cloudy auburn with a good head and ok retention. Stifled yeast product, bready toasted malts, big toffee, chocolate undertones in aroma. Taste is those toasted malts with munich malt sweetness and a lot of lighter caramels. Some spicy phenolics, but malt dominates. A little harsh on the carbonation at first, but settles down.

Overall an average, enjoyable beer that just fails to stand out.

A - Cloudy unfiltered look as is the common detraction from the appearance in wheat ales. Brown body, poured a high head that was a light tan. Not much carbonation to speak of.

S - Wheat and lemony citrus as is expected. Also had a freshwater smell to it.

T - Apples came to mind first, then faded to a lemony citrus with a wheat ale after-taste.

M - Thin bodied, lacks carbonation.. sticks on the palate. Like a flat Heineken.

D - I wouldn't buy it again, but the dark wheat had me curious.. I hadn't seen many around and I was looking for more Hacker offerings because the store had just finished off their Hacker-Pschorr Marzen (Octoberfest) growler filling keg.

Hacker Pschorr Dark Hefewisen: The brown translucent body proves it’s a dark beer. The head forms with large bubbles and settles into a thin layer. The aroma is true to style, with wheat, malts and citrus notes coming through. I must have not been in the mood for a dark wheat, as the malt flavor seemed too much, and there was a bit of metallic ness to the flavor. A regular Hefe would have been preferred. I have had dark Hefe’s on tap in Munich, and they were to die for. But the Hacker Pschorr from the bottle did not do the trick.

I'm not sure what I was expecting with this one, but overall I wasn't that impressed. It poured a murky brown with little head that faded quickly. Aroma was nice with dried fruits, a bit of banana, and malts. Taste was very thin, just a bit of fruitiness and a malt finish, I was expecting more, and it just wasn't there. Mouthfeel was very watery and not smooth in the slightest. Overall, not great, but not bad, one that I would drink again if someone offered, but not one I'd seek out again.

12oz. bottle

Potrs a slightly hazy chestnut brown with a creamy tan head that maintains. Thick lacing on the glass.

Very faint aroma. Slightly bready and yeasty with maybe a hint of fruitiness. This was even after it warmed up.

Mild taste. Some breadiness upfront with just a hint of fruitiness. Finishes rather bland with a mild yeastiness at the end.

Light body, good carbonation.

A rather plain brew. Easy enough to drink, but mediocre overall.

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was looking for something German, and found this one at my local beer store. Poured into a room temp beer mug.

A - A good one finger head which lasted a few minutes until it dissipated into a thin layer. A cloudy light brown color.

S - Has a slight citrusy smell and a little malt smell.

T - The second time i tried the beer, I noticed flavors that I couldn't taste the first time, along with the citrus I tasted some cherry flavor. I don't know if it had to do with how cold it was or not, or if my taste buds weren't working that day, but I definitely tasted the cherry in it the second time around.

M - Medium to heavy carbonation, has a zing to it.

D - Probably woulnd't drink more than the six pack, spread out over a couple of days.

All in all, just an average wheat beer to me, though I haven't had many wheat beers. It was different in the fact it was my first dark wheat beer. I would recommend it to people to try and see how they like it, but I would probably not buy it again.

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a cider like brown-amber with nearly no head at all. The bouquet is characterized by Rhone apple and cherries. Belgian yeast are noticed first with the initial pull. A dulled, not sweet, apple cider follows. An astrigent pithiness gets the final say in this average dunkel weisse. Hacker-Pschorr did ok with this one.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Weisse Dark – Dark Wheat (5.3%) - Hacker-Pschorr
☆☆☆

App: Pours dark amber to copper brown with a very nice two finger beige head that settles quickly, leaving a lot of high, stringy lacing. Overall retains pretty well, leaving a constant quarter inch head all the way down the glass.

Smell: Strong weisse yeast coming through, with hints of persimmon, banana, and clove. Malt body is pretty noticeable with some biscuit-like notes and hints of sweeter caramel malt. Some volatile phenols with a deep breath.

Taste: Fairly mild in flavor overall. Not nearly as pronounced in its esters as many lighter wheats. Flavors are much less pronounced as suggested by aroma. Slight hints of bread like wheatiness, as well as some sweet banana/clove flavors that are common to style. Malt and hops flavors are more up front in this style, with malts adding more caramelized and rich flavors. Hops come through in that this beer doesn't have the lingering sweetness of a lot of wheats.

Mouth: A little thin on body, though not watery. Carbonation is medium-high, but not stinging.

Home tasting, 11.2oz bottle into Snifter. 1/28/14.

3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

On tap at The Buck Hotel in the Philly area. Served in a tall Hacker-Pschorr Glass.

A- H-P Dunkle Weisse is a dark brown color with some dark red hints when held up to the chandelier. This has a thick look to it from the glass. A nice 1/2 inch white cap stayed throughout the 20 or so ounces. No lacing though, oh well.

S- Not a very complex brew as I mostly if not completely only get caramel from the heaping of malts used in this. This gives off a bready appeal and not much else. Warming did not help things but some cinnamon and slight banana creeped through.

T- This tastes exactly like it smells and I hate to write that in my reviews but it's the truth. This one is malt forward leaving no room for other flavors(if there are any) to come through. With that said this is a decent dunkle. Just a bunch of caramel.

M- Just a bit above medium bodied with an apparent thickness to it. A good amount of carbonation which was not present when I had a bottle. Nothing in terms of bitterness making this one a smooth ride. Very sweet and very one sided.

D- Drinking this I could of swore this was in the 7-8% ABV range with all the malts used but I was surprised when I read 5.3%. Sessionable but my tall hacker glass was enough for me. The taste is just very one-demensional leaving me not wanting to order another. This is pretty drinkable though.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

This beer is average, not outstanding but no serious flaws. Pours a light brown color. Head is off white, light, and drippy. Smell is mild. Taste is mild as well, slightly hoppy, slightly sweet, and light-bodied. Very drinkable due to its light body. A decent beer, but not spectacular.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured amber to light copper with a 2" offwhite head with slight effervescence. Good head retention and average lacing for style

Smell: Slight earthy/fruiity notes intertwined with a slight yeast presence

Taste: Some Fruitty notes and slight caramel taste, the yeast adds a little something but not a lot. Finished slighlty sweet and fruity, emphasis on the word slight! Not enough weisse character or clean taste to be memorable (yawn)

MF: Good crisp carbonation but otherwise a little thin

This went down okay, but didn't really do much for me. There certainally better dark wheat beers to be had in germany (Bischoff, Oderdorf & Andech come mind of the top of my head)

Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse (Weisse Dark) from Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH