Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Naturtrüb - Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 02-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Naturtrüb Alström Bros
Reviews: 730 | Hads: 1,595

I'm going to start my review with a disclaimer--this is my favorite beer, period. If I had one last beer to drink before I went to the grand bier stube in the sky, it would be this one.
Appearance: When poured correctly, this beer looks magnificent in the glass. Topping off the head with the remainder of the bottle makes this beer a real treat. The color is a typical hefe yellow-gold and the cloudiness of the yeast masks the mystery of the taste inside. The thick head stays for a long time, so get used to drinking the beer through the head, you'll have to wipe your upper lip often.
Smell: The aroma is very welcoming, never bitter or skunky. A little fruity, but understated, not like a lambic or some of the other fruity beers.
Taste: As I stated earlier, this is the best bier in the world (my opinion). It is refreshing, fruity (not much), and very satisfying. No bitter after taste, leaves you refreshed and ready for more.
Mouthfeel: Again, no problems here.
Drinkability: The problem with this bier is that I can keep drinking it--over and over and over. (1,071 characters)

Liquid bread. Absolutely delicious.
Also had it on tap. Also very good, but the 500 ml. bottles are the best. Must be served in a proper, what I call, a weiss beer glass, tall and tapered that can accommodate the full 500 mls. It is somewhat of a acquired taste, but once acquired, it's tough to beat. Already smacking my lips! (327 characters)

I could drink this beer all day. I have had it on tap, with a lemon wedge, and that is great, but mostly, I can only get it in a bottle.

The head is thick, and eventually desolves to a lace. The appearance is dark amber, and sort of cloudy.

The smell and taste have a light hint of citrus, and a spice that I can't peg, since I am new to describing beer taste.

I normally serve it in a tall weiss beer glass, at room temp. On a hot day, maybe cool it for awhile, and it really hits the spot. (502 characters)

Beautifully full bodied, aromatic, golden wheat, beautiful coloration, with a very satisfying full bodied, and full flavor, of just the right amount of balance between, not to sweet wheat, with a slight mild bit, not bitter, very slight, not to much of a fruity style flavor, with the unfiltered yeast adding to and making of the full body, with a medium weight making this Weiss a very satisfying to the pallet and excellent taste. Very aromatic to the scenes. (461 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Left less than a one finger head with good retention, not much lacing. Body was a very cloudy yellow orange.

Smell - spices; coriander and cloves, wheaty malt. Esters, bananas.

Taste - like the smell - coriander, cloves, creamy wheaty malt, bananas. All very well balanced. Aftertaste of cloves and coriander.

Mouthfeel - full, smooth, a little chewy, a little creamy.

Drinkability - this is good, goes down well, and is very sessionable. (479 characters)

So stoked to finally have Hacker Pschorr available in Las Vegas! By far the best Weisse beer on the market. Great head on the pour. Strong sweet smell. Great cloudy unfiltered look. Taste is crisp and refreshing. Highly recommended to any hefe drinkers this is an original munich weisse beer. (292 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

From Total wine

A - Pours golden-yellow, lots of head, dissipates slow.

S - Honey, bananas, cloves, and malts.

T - Same as smell.

M - So good. Light hops balance the taste. Hops not bitter though.

D - Best hefeweisse I've drank. So delicious, will need to pick up more. (274 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured from a bottle into my Ayinger Weizen glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy orange color with a nice head that slowly dissipates with lots of sticky lacing.

Smell: Banana, cloves, wheat, heaven.

Taste: You get it all: banana, wheat malt, cloves, slight lemon, a little pepper.

Feel: Lots of carbonation with a nice creamy mouthfeel that coats your mouth and sticks around for a while

Drinkability: This is so tasty and and easy to drink. I can drink a six pack before I know what has happened. (497 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

Awesome beer. Nice smell, great taste and goes down unbelievably well.
Pours a hazy golden color with a massive head that eventually settles down without much lacing. Smell is AMAZING - spices and bannana. The smell is nice but difficult to pick up, especially after the first sip. Taste is of bananas but that doesnt do it justice - just tastes awesome - kind of how a banana popsicle tastes way better than a banana.
Great mouthfeel, beer is super smooth with a nice aftertaste and the drinkability is through the roof.
Just a great allround beer. (552 characters)

Photo of
4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured a cloudy golden color with plenty of lacing head.

Smelled of citrus and spice. The smell is what I believe attracted me to this beer. It make the taste outstanding.

You can tast the spice and a hint of citrus flavor. This is a beer with more malt and has a hint of sweetness.

It has a bit of coabonation and is so smooth and easy to drink.

This is an easy beer to drink any season. It's pleasing aroma helps make it a delicious beer to share during happy hour or over a meal. (487 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I've had this beer on tap and a bottle. When I get it in a bottle I always pour in a glass, I've found that leaving it in the bottle keeps the foamy head from receding. On tap well let's just say its great could drink from it all day, "can I get another one please."I was on my third one while my friend was on his first. It's a filling beer, so don't eat to much otherwise your belly will be paying dearly. I've drank other weisse's but none compare to this one. I prefer the Dark Weisse but its hard to find around here. The friends and family I've given to try say the same thing all the time. "It's smooth, tasty, sweet, heavy, but above all stronger than what they drink." Like I tell them "get drunk tonight not the next morning". All I need to do now to complete the experience is get a Weisse glass, it would put the cherry on top of this wonderful desert.

Price: slightly more than your regular imports, worth the extra dollars you pay for it

Availability: depending where you are its available from gas stations to bars, some grocery chains carry them, pricing can be fluctuate accordingly so I recommend to drink it with a couple buddies, if you feel the price is steep.

Taste: superb, you know your drinking great beer when alcohol is the smooth criminal in there, this beer does not need a garnish. Banana nut bread anyone?

After effects: As someone told me a great clean beer that you can wake up tomorrow morning feeling great. (1,449 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

This is a really great example of an outstanding hefe... I truly enjoyed this one and wouldn't mind drinking this all the time... A peppery, lemony taste predominates this wheat brew which goes down real smooth and is very satisfying. A faint aroma of banana and coriander is present, and a nice complex flavor is certainly there... Would definitely buy another sixer without a doubt... As a big fan of this particular style, this is truly up there with some of the best... I look forward to drinking one of these after a hard day at work... (541 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

A - soft amber that glows in the glass, soapy head

S - very light citrus hints (pineapple, orange), subtle banana

T - spicy and citrusy at first, banana hits soon after, metallic fiinish

M - nice crisp carbonation, exceedingly smooth

D - I could drink these all day

This is my favorite session beer. Definitely in my top 3 overall. (336 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a hazy deep golden color with a massive foamy and creamy white head that coats the sides of the glass while drinking. Nose is sweet overripe banana with a touch of clove. Thick and full in the mouth (especially for the style). Taste is very fruity with notes of juicy banana and spice and a bit of a yeasty maltiness. I could drink these all day and all night long with no problem. A truly outstanding brew. (413 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Hacker-Pschorr on tap cannot be beat. If you go to a tavern where Hacker-Pschorr is on tap, DO NOT PASS IT UP !!! The color is superb, the smell goes great along with the lemon wedge, tastes wonderful, by the time the glass falls to the bar; it's time to say, "bartender; another Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weissen !!!
This is truly the "Nectar of the Gods". (351 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19%

My multiple run-ins with Hacker Pschorr on-tap, climaxing last night at the Cowboy Monkey bar in Champaign, IL, warrant a new review.

We are fortunate to have this in bottles to enjoy at home, but HP is another world on tap. Little head retention, lacing down the glass, but more than enough. You're not going to get a Guinness-style head on this beer nor should you have one; it is so thick and rich with yeast that you don't need anything on top. Bright amber and white in color -- uniformly, deliriously cloudy. Bartenders: Quit with that lemon.

Still very estery, but with a pronounced gumball beginning -- incredible depth that is perhaps the pinnacle of hefe-weiss brewing. Delicate spices of clove and coriander seed marry brilliantly with the sweet lemons. Very smooth and balanced malts expertly balance the mild hop influence without overpowering it.

The result is satin. One of the most pleasurable (and endless) drinking experiences anywhere in the world. Hail to the king.

Relax, relax.
ng (1,016 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: giant, fluffy white head, fades into a persistent surface covering; cloudy opaque medium-orange color, scattered cohesive arcs and spatters of lacing
S: orange/lemon citrus, spice, coriander, a hint of bubblegum; intoxicating and compelling; I can see where people detect bananas, but I wouldn't have identified it by myself
T: rich, clovey malt/yeasty banana bread, spiced
M: medium-full bodied, crisp but full, ever so slightly dry
O: I had to really think about not assigning it fives across the board. For me, this is the medium-rare prime ribeye of beer: when I think of beer, when I crave a real, satisfying, transcendent beer ... this is what I needed.

500mL / Weizen Glass / Schmankerl Stube, Hagerstown, MD (719 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Too much has been written about this beer and I realize my propensity to pontificate is palpable (just read any of my previous reviews and this will be evident,
alliteration aside). 11.2 oz. bottle was stayed poured into an English pint glass. Leaving the last bit of beer at the bottom of the bottle, I agitated softly until the remaining sediment was in suspension, then poured into the glass. The result, producing two and one half fingers of brilliant, wispy white, little snow head that dissipated extremely slowly to a medium thin line that remained until the glass was empty. Nice lacing despite the low surface tension characteristic of the inappropriate glass and the softened water used to clean it. On the medium-light side of honey gold, translucent through the cloudy but uniform din of appearance, perfection. bringing this to the nose produces a fruit forward banana, canned pears, faint clove- spice flavor. This mirrored smell with the fruit forward banana flavor asserting it's self with a pear and very slight metallic report right at the end..hence canned pears (I'm thinking a bi-product of the yeast which was not at all offensive). Well balanced, on the luxurious-creamy side of medium N I R V A N A. Absolutely delicious. (1,250 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A hallmark old world Hefe Weisse! A blood orange hue breaks with a thick retentive head that takes its time easing back into this fruity wheat medium bodied beer. Fruit and wheat dominate in both aroma and taste. The most complex aspect of this beer is the aftertaste. It seems to go in stages from an immediate fruity taste, that gives way to a lingering wheat, that fades into a final note of dryness and spice. At this stage, I think I can comfortably call this one of the gold standards for the original style Hefe. (519 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

I liked this beer alot. I'm sure the Hacker-Pschorr I bought was labeled 'dark' and it was nice and thick. Went down easy and I was able to drink quite a bit in a short time. Taste & drinkability I suppose were the best qualities but it seems like any good beer should have those be its highest points. Definately pick some of this up if you find it at the store. (363 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer was enjoyable because the fruity taste was not overwhelming at all but does leave you with a hint of banana. Tastes much better from a glass than a bottle, obviously, or else you can't enjoy the beautiful golden color or the tasty yeast at the bottom of the bottle. (275 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

(I've marked this as "on-tap" since that's what my most recent tasting of it was -- though I regularly have it in bottles as well)

It's got a great looking head, so when it's served in the proper glass, it's truly beautiful. I had this most recently served in a Hacker Brau glass with a neat spiral look to the glass...the head was just popping up over the lip of the glass a tiny bit. Just looked great with the light reflecting off the angles in the glass and through the beer's cloudiness.

A lot of people find the sweetness and carbonation of wheat beers like this to be difficult to handle in mass quantities. However, my drinking buddies and I would regularly get a 3L boot of this to pass around the circle and drink it down like a champ. It may seem wasteful to quaff such a fine beer in such a manner. But I relay this story only to emphasize one thing: I can drink this beer over and over and over and over. It's a staple of my drinking and beer purchasing and is, for me, one of the beers I'll regularly by as a 6 pack to go watch football with a friend or something. It's just so easy to drink...

...and so incredibly tasty! Standard zesty wheat beer flavors. Drinking it, especially after you haven't had it in a while, is like dancing through lemon tree groves. One of my favorite wheat beers. (1,317 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

This is an exceptional wheat beer that should easily rank amongst the top Hefeweizen styled brews in the world.

A textbook classic, featuring a cloudy copper toned appearance that allows for a giant foamy (bubble bath style) head to fill the glass. Head takes a considerable amount of time to dissipate and leaves extensive lacing around the glass. (Be sure to drink this one from a traditional Weissbier styled glass for full enjoyment).

Super flowery aroma jam packed with the strength of its wheat base plus hints of citrus fruits, clove and a complex selection of malts.

All of the aromas come through in the taste of this beer with complexities of its fruity palette shining through. A beer with great characteristics and with an extremely consistent behavior from the first sip to the very last drop. Enjoy it in good health.

(NOTE: Based on a 500ml bottle sold under the HEFE WEISSE name in Canada. After much digging on the Internet it would appear that although the beer is often sold throughout the world as either WEISSE and HEFE WEISSE, the brew is supposedly the same thing despite packaging differences and the apparent availability of both versions at the same time from the same retailer.) (1,218 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Great wheat beer lots of lacing and a good head. Had it with a splash of Framboise Peach and it was excellent. Nice banana and cloves Good on the front end especially with the splash. (184 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome appearance poured from bottle to Duvel Glass.
Great carbonation consistent white head and perfect lacing just like your grandmothers curtains.
Great Taste no overwhelming yeast taste just enough and some banana/citrus
Very easy to drink.

If you like Blue Moon or Shock Top or one of the Macro Wheat beers you have to try the REAL DEAL! (347 characters)

Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Naturtrüb from Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH