Alternative Hazelnut Brown - CB Craft Brewers

Alternative Hazelnut Brown
No picture uploaded.

CB Craft Brewers visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: CBFanWish on 03-14-2004)
Reviews by wailingwench:
wailingwench

New Mexico

2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

Eye Candy: Light brown, amber edges. Fizzy off white thin head, vanished quickly. Looks flat.

The Nose Knows: Cloying hazelnut with a touch of vanilla.

Tongueland: Cloying hazelnut, slight bitter coffee to clear the palate.

Bender: Clearly not anything that I would drink, but the ladies love it. Keeping this in mind, I will give it a good drinkability.

12-30-2004 23:17:29 | More by wailingwench
BuffaloBelgians

3.63/5  rDev -9%

I was there with a friend to sample the first keg of this they had on. Pouring the pint 10 feet away, I could smell the hazelnut/vanilla aroma. Since then, then nose hasn't been quite as intense, so maybe the recipe was altered a bit. A decent, smooth easy-drinking beer that doesn't take too many risks. I agree with another poster who said the beer could use a bit more carbonation, but that's an easy fix. Could be mistaken for cream soda, if you're drunk enough (it's VERY easy to do at this place!)

08-05-2005 16:31:02 | More by BuffaloBelgians
GreesyFizeek

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at the Custom Brewcrafters tasting room. Tried a sample as part of a flight, then got a pint later because it was so good.

Dark, hazy brown. Almost opaque. Not much head, or lacing.

Smells like pure, uncut hazelnut. Some vanilla and chocolate, but predominantly hazelnut.

The tastes follow. Tastes like hazelnut syrup. Slightly oaky, with vanilla, chocolate, and roasteed peanuts, but again, a hazelnut bomb. It's one-note, but done very well. Very sweet without being overly cloying.

Very full, sticky mouthfeel. Coats your mouth. Low carbonation.

A real winner from CB's. One dimensional, but that's ok when the one dimension is done this well.

12-15-2013 22:21:32 | More by GreesyFizeek
CBFanWish

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

The only place you can get this is at Alternative Brews in Amherst, NY. Of all nut beers, I have never had one that has such a strong nutty flavour. It reminds me of a cup of hazelnut coffee. I would have to say that it would go best with either vanilla ice cream, or breakfast. Maybe a Muffin.

03-14-2004 02:55:31 | More by CBFanWish
oldirtycaffrey

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%

I had the great pleasure of trying this beer at the 2008 Buffalo Brew Fest. Sampling around 20 beers, this was probably my favorite of the day. It simply is an incredible, very different type of beer.

It pours a caramel, medium dark brown with a foamy off-white head. The smell is sweet -- hints of roasted hazelnut, coffee, malt. Exquisite. The taste follows and reminded me of the first great cup of flavored coffee I've ever had in my life. If you do not like beers that taste like coffee, you probably will not like this.

Although a tad bitter, this was very smooth and you could easily spend a cold afternoon or night drinking a few of these and really enjoying every single sip.

Awesome beer.

08-26-2008 18:34:29 | More by oldirtycaffrey
bossmanjg

4.97/5  rDev +24.6%

This was by far the best nut-brown, beer I've ever had the pleasure of imbibing. This may be the best over all beer I've ever had for that matter.

Appearance: It was a dark caramel color, aesthetically a very pleasing beer.

Smell: A very unique aroma that I'd yet to experience. And as it warmed in my grip, it only improved like the sweet cigar smoke that surrounded me.

Taste: The taste was explosive. By far the nuttiest beer I've had. Lot's of heavy vanilla, hazelnut, and caramel were present.

Mouth feel: This was a thick, creamy, silky feeling beer. I rolled it in my mouth a few times, and even did a few pseudo-chews to really get the feel of it. Superb!

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, a session beer. On my visit to the establishment Alternative Brews in Amherst, NY, which is the sole proprietor for this brew, I enjoyed 6 pints of this wonderful nectar of the gods.

I will partake of this brew whenever possible. And can do so at home for Alternative Brews fills Growlers of which I have a few.

The only part of this brew that I would like to see improved is in the head retention. It was weak and didn't last. This was the only aspect of the beer that I rated lower.

And as always remember the immortal words:

"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."

~Benjamin Franklin

By the way this brew is 4.7% ABV

02-24-2006 12:55:49 | More by bossmanjg
Alternative Hazelnut Brown from CB Craft Brewers
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.