CB's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA - CB Craft Brewers

good

good

CB Craft Brewers visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-29-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CB's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a clear semi-dark amber color with one finger of beige head. Keeps a thin lace, somewhat full. Decent stick on the sides.

Smell consists of some citrus and pine, but the nose leans more to the malty end of the spectrum. It's a bready malt base with some sweet caramel as well. An initial blast of citrus hops seems to vaporize and is scarcely noticeable afterward. Not a very impressive nose.

Taste is better, with more persistent hop flavor, although it is still an overly malty IPA in my opinion. It's a bready, caramel malt base, not overly sweet but it's hefty enough to have a chewy feel to it. Hops are earthy with some pine resin and grapefruit. Hop bitterness is modest. There's some decent hop flavor, but I wish it were more prominent as compared to the malt.

Mouthfeel is a chewy medium body, a pretty rich feel for an IPA. It's creamy and smooth. I don't mind the extra heft.

This is an ok IPA, but ok is about the best that I can say about it. Too malty for my taste. I'd try it again on tap but I don't think I'll be grabbing another 6er anytime soon; not my cup of tea.

number1bum, Jun 07, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

A pint at the Distillery in Victor, NY on 5/24/11

Clear amber with average to good head retention and plenty of lace. Muted aroma, caramel and pine. A bit on the earthy side. Soft mouthfeel. Balanced front and middle with very strong bitterness and a hint of acidity on the finish.

LittleDon, May 25, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle to a SA perfect pint glass.

Pours a clear dark golden/light copper color with a fluffy 1 finger head beer. Citrus hops and bold malts slam into the nose at the same time. Mango, orange peel, bready malt, lemon bitterness, caramel, seems a tad unbalanced. Very fruity though, smells like a bowl of fruit loops. Nice bitter hops on the tongue, citrus, lemon, very East Coast. Grassy, earthy, good. Light to medium feel, very crisp smooth, and nice asprin bitterness. Not too bad at a stab at an IPA from Honeoye Falls.

gabedivision, May 20, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

Notes from 5/1/2011

No freshness date

A- Slightly hazzy orange/peach pour. Half finger off white head. Lacing is decent.

S- Grapefruit, pineapple, mandarin, pine needles. Oily hoppy goodness. Malt is very subdued and its wonderful.

T- Piney hops, very resinous. Fairly one dimensional. Bittering hops are very drying.

M- Medium bodied, extra dry, carbonation is good.

O- Excellent smelling, decent tasting, okay mouth feel. Enjoyed but won't go after again.

korguy123, May 11, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -12.1%

Notes from 4/28/11. Thanks to korguy123 for this one.
Poured in to Founder's tulip glass.

A - Medium amber colour, almost transparent (definitely filtered) with one finger of off-white head.

S - Citrus, pine and plenty of sweet caramel. Some light tropical fruit notes come through as well. A very robust and very inviting note.

T - Sharp bitterness up front with some pine flavours coming through from the hops but the citrus that was in the nose doesn't translate the palate at all. Some caramel sweetness enters the palate mid-way through followed by a dry and bitter finish.

M -Light to medium body. Light carbonation.

O - This was a decent IPA but not one I would seek out again. the nose was excellent but it didn't translate in to a great tasting example of the style.

TheSevenDuffs, May 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +14%

Not too much of a head on this golden pour, but I'm fine with that. A little bit of it stuck around throughout the course of sipping this one, so no complaints.

The smell was stronger on the citrus end than I'd expected, so my hopes were high that this might leap to the top of my IPA list. However, the taste didn't match up. It wasn't bad, but there was more straight up hop bitterness and less citrus flavor than the nose led me to expect.

Mouthfeel just seems right - it didn't blow me out of the water, but it did seem a bit above average for some inexplicable reason.

Overall, I'm glad that I picked this up while out of town for Easter. Wish I'd grabbed a little more!

pitweasel, Apr 29, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

The bottle poured out a clear orange/copper body with a minimal off-white head. The initial aromas were of heavy amounts of resin, pine and citrus. The initial flavors were of resin, pine, and a light barley finish. The brew had some sweetness to it, as well as a slightly bitter and dry body. It was medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall, not the best I've had. I was a little disappointed with this one and wouldn't recommend it.

Mancer, Apr 17, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -14%

A: Clear deep amber. Forms a small white head. Little retention, but lots of clumpy lacing.

S: Mostly pine, but not lots of it. Some light malt as well.

T: A huge hit of metallic bitterness on the first sip that sort of subsides on subsequent tastes, but never really goes away. Moderate caramel maltiness. Unpleasant astringency.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. Drying bitterness that is almost chalky.

D: With the name and the labeling, I was figuring this one was going to be a bit more hop forward. Hop bitterness, but no hop flavor and only a faint hoppy aroma. A rather generic IPA.

Florida9, Apr 12, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

I actually didn't see the beer. It came in a bottle, and I drank it until it was gone. It was very good. Nice, hoppy, fragrant, and good. I will get more, just so I can pour it in a glass and drink it again. This is a beer worth looking for. I know I will.

TheSignPost, Apr 08, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Blind Beer #9 - http://flic.kr/p/9ue4xE

Thanks to Kevin (shrek806) for sending me this in Round #4 of the Blind Beer BIF.

12 oz bottle poured into my Nugget Nectar pint. Dense clotted cream head that persists with a crystal gold color. Aroma is a full nose of fruity citrusy hops. Taste is predominantly bittering hops with a dry lingering mouthfeel. A nice caramel malt is hiding under the massive hop presence in this beer. This is tasty even if its a bit on the bitter side, I'm digging the hops and its going down quite easily.

Gotta guess IPA on this one.

The reveal: Caged Alpha Monkey IPA from Custom Brewcrafters. Never heard of these guys, but I'd love to try some more of their stuff.

neorunner, Mar 29, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

I'm new at this, so I will start by saying the American IPA is my favorite style of beer. I travel the country on business and I've had a number of IPA's in my time (including the incredible Pliny the Younger), but I will say that IPA's from the Rochester NY area have always underwhelmed me. Same goes here. The decent smell did not forbode well for the rest of the tasting. Hardly any flavor upfront with an average hop finish. Priced at $10 a six pack, I would rather purchase Dogfish or even the Saranac IPA at a lower price point. Cheers!

ATTWNone, Mar 15, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Pours a deep color color and really not much head, what little was there died down rather quickly, formed a thin ring around the top, and a partial foam covering. Has a moderate amount of very small bubbled carbonation.

S - Caramel malt, and some buried acidic pine. The nose is very weak.

T - Caramel malt base underneath creates some support for moderately mild pine hopping and grapefruit bitterness. The hops don't slap you in the face up front like I expected and as I work through the glass, the grapefruit becomes more present. The bitterness is more pronounced than the malt backing, but that's something I really like about my IPA's so I appreciate this characteristic since I'm unfortunately one of those individuals who errs on the side of bitterness in my IPA's.

M - Finishes dry, heavier side of thin body (would like to have more body in this beer), taste. Prickly on the tongue from the carbonation, and doesn't leave a sticky residue on the lips like some beers.

D - Average.

I picked up a sixer from Premier Gourmet while traveling through Buffalo on business and I think this one may have been sitting on the shelf for awhile, no criticism to them, maybe just one that didn't move as quickly as some others (great place to beer shop while in Buffalo, BTW). I would love to have a really fresh one of these so I can experience the same hoppy goodness as previous reviews. I'm keeping an open mind with this one and will definitely try it again because I think Custom BrewCrafters do a good job with their beers and this one will be worth revisiting.

jzeilinger, Feb 25, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a clear, copper color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV on the label. Couldn't locate freshness date anywhere on the bottle.
Aroma is predominantly hoppy, evident as soon as I cracked the bottle open. Hints of malt and some sweetness coming through.
Taste is all hops, all the way through. Bitterness is dominant, but it somehow doesn't feel balanced. Not the kind of taste I like in my IPA, but I'm sure there might be hop-heads out there that would enjoy the hop-dominant profile.
Lacing holds very nice throughout the glass.
Mouthfeel and drinkability are okay. All in all, a decent IPA. I am glad I tried it, but I'm not sure I would be going out of my way to get a hold of this IPA.

CaptDavyJones, Feb 22, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into chalice- no date on bottle, but cases were marked 1/21/11. Clear amber color with slight head and small carbonation bubbles.Less aroma than I hoped for- maybe a bit too chilled? Nice citrus hops with a slight malty finish.I have had other CB IPA's, and I like this one more than any others. Could have a little more depth and body, but still good. I will have to try a growler of this from them to compare.

mendonjoebeer, Feb 11, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a huge two and a half fluffy egg shell colored head. Big earthy grassy piney hop smell. Some Carmel smell, sweet malts, apricot maybe. Tastes slightly sweet, piney resinous hops, some funky/muddle middle palate taste. Full bodied creamy feel. Light carbonation. The lingering metallic bitter taste detracts a bit but I enjoyed this one. $2.19 a single.

Homebrew35, Feb 06, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

CB's IPA brew... pretty excited!

A- pours a darker orange body with a massive head of slightly browned foam. Massive lacing all over the sides. Nice looking IPA

S- very strong citric hops that focus on pineapple, tangerine, and sweet fruit. CAM has a unique scent that is really geared towards a fruity citric hop profile. A little bitter scent at the end, and I like the change up

T- the malt definitely shows up in the taste. Very bitter with not as much citrus as I expected in the scent. The finish is dry and piney as well. Again, another unique attribute of the beer is the malt and pine were nowhere in the scent, but it does in the taste. I kind of miss the fruitiness I picked up in the scent. Good caramel though

M- medium bodied and crisp. Good bitter flavor remains in the brew

D- caged alpha monkey is a pretty tasty IPA. I was hoping that the scent would follow through and deliver a little more citric hop experience, but I still enjoyed the brew. One additional note... I still want CB to bang out a hop fest sometime in the near future

lovindahops, Jan 29, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Cole's, this is closer in bitterness and assertiveness to a 1.5X IPA. Hoppy aroma. Big up front hops. Graefruit. Soapy white head. The finish is both a little astringent and a little dishsoap, however one of the more noticeable ones I have had from this brewery.

Sammy, Jan 21, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

CB's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA is a crystal clear, coppery amber beer with a white head fades to a thin bubbly film. It leaves outstanding lacing on the glass. It has a big, fresh, citrusy hop aroma. It smells juicy and fruity, with a slight hint of sweet caramel. It smells great. It has a soft, smooth medium body with a gritty finish. This is a nice and bitter pine flavored beer. That's pretty much what's going on here. The pine resin bitterness hangs on for a long finish. It's a nice, aggressive IPA.

yesyouam, Jan 20, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle no bottle date.

A: Pours orange color with white head. Head does not stick around long at all and is thin. Some carbonation on the glass but not a large amount.

S: Some citrus notes up front, grapefruit and tangerine primarily. Also get some malty notes in the back end.

T/M: Taste is really dry and pine filled. Also get the tangerine and grapefruit notes in the taste. Love the way this beer goes down, very drinkable. I would say that the hop profile holds up well but not the same from start to finish.

D: Good drinking beer that works out well. However, could use just a bit more character as it is rather one dimensional and ends not so great.

mbusster88, Jan 16, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

poured half a pint from a friends growler that was purchased at abbott road consumers.

pours out a lightly hazed golden orange with a big white retentive head. lots of good looking sticky lace.

not much of an aroma. mettallic like malts jump out at me first. light dank piney hops, very light citrus hops noticable.

the taste is a little better than the aroma. nice balance. dank piney hops with some light citrus. mettallic bready malts. decent bitterness in the finish that lingers for a bit.

medium body, carbonation is a bit on the lighter side.

overall a decent drinker from a decent local brewery. not as hoppy as i might have liked and just a little too mettallic.

dogfishandi, Jan 09, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks goes out to rageagainst123 for this!

Dark copper in color, transparent, with a bright white head of about a finger. Lacing is alright.

Aroma is slightly spicy, almost peppery, with a bit of lemon zest, and tangy malt sweetness. Smells a bit too sweet

Very bitter. But it seems the bitterness was the result of tunnel vision: bitter, but not hoppy. That sweetness I got in the aroma plays third fiddle here. The hop presence is more spicy and zesty.
It's not awful...it just needs to be more coherent and balanced.

Feel is good, it's crisp and a little creamy, and lightish in body.

Middle of the road on the drink.

EgadBananas, Jan 07, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Pours a nice clear copper with about two fingers of tan head into my pint glass, nice retention and some splotchy lacing.

S - Aroma of sweet grain and hops. Grapefruit citrus notes are there as well as fruity notes of apple and banana, also lemon grass, clove, spice, smells more like a Belgian IPA to me.

T - Lots of hop bitterness without much caramel backbone to balance it out. Grain and biscuit are about all I get before the bitter hops take over. Some strong grapefruit zest in there. This beer is confusing me because I love hops, which this really has, but there is no substance to it.

M - Feels a little thin for the style, bitterness is not balanced out.

D - This is drinkable, I had some last night and seemed to enjoy it and now that I am sitting here taking the time to review I am not enjoying it nearly as much. Solid attempt, but a miss in my book.

StoneBrewFanatic, Dec 31, 2010