CB's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA - CB Craft Brewers

good

CB Craft Brewers visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-29-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CB's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 169 | Reviews: 60
3.87/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a clear, copper color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV on the label. Couldn't locate freshness date anywhere on the bottle.
Aroma is predominantly hoppy, evident as soon as I cracked the bottle open. Hints of malt and some sweetness coming through.
Taste is all hops, all the way through. Bitterness is dominant, but it somehow doesn't feel balanced. Not the kind of taste I like in my IPA, but I'm sure there might be hop-heads out there that would enjoy the hop-dominant profile.
Lacing holds very nice throughout the glass.
Mouthfeel and drinkability are okay. All in all, a decent IPA. I am glad I tried it, but I'm not sure I would be going out of my way to get a hold of this IPA.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into chalice- no date on bottle, but cases were marked 1/21/11. Clear amber color with slight head and small carbonation bubbles.Less aroma than I hoped for- maybe a bit too chilled? Nice citrus hops with a slight malty finish.I have had other CB IPA's, and I like this one more than any others. Could have a little more depth and body, but still good. I will have to try a growler of this from them to compare.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a huge two and a half fluffy egg shell colored head. Big earthy grassy piney hop smell. Some Carmel smell, sweet malts, apricot maybe. Tastes slightly sweet, piney resinous hops, some funky/muddle middle palate taste. Full bodied creamy feel. Light carbonation. The lingering metallic bitter taste detracts a bit but I enjoyed this one. $2.19 a single.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

CB's IPA brew... pretty excited!

A- pours a darker orange body with a massive head of slightly browned foam. Massive lacing all over the sides. Nice looking IPA

S- very strong citric hops that focus on pineapple, tangerine, and sweet fruit. CAM has a unique scent that is really geared towards a fruity citric hop profile. A little bitter scent at the end, and I like the change up

T- the malt definitely shows up in the taste. Very bitter with not as much citrus as I expected in the scent. The finish is dry and piney as well. Again, another unique attribute of the beer is the malt and pine were nowhere in the scent, but it does in the taste. I kind of miss the fruitiness I picked up in the scent. Good caramel though

M- medium bodied and crisp. Good bitter flavor remains in the brew

D- caged alpha monkey is a pretty tasty IPA. I was hoping that the scent would follow through and deliver a little more citric hop experience, but I still enjoyed the brew. One additional note... I still want CB to bang out a hop fest sometime in the near future

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at Cole's, this is closer in bitterness and assertiveness to a 1.5X IPA. Hoppy aroma. Big up front hops. Graefruit. Soapy white head. The finish is both a little astringent and a little dishsoap, however one of the more noticeable ones I have had from this brewery.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

CB's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA is a crystal clear, coppery amber beer with a white head fades to a thin bubbly film. It leaves outstanding lacing on the glass. It has a big, fresh, citrusy hop aroma. It smells juicy and fruity, with a slight hint of sweet caramel. It smells great. It has a soft, smooth medium body with a gritty finish. This is a nice and bitter pine flavored beer. That's pretty much what's going on here. The pine resin bitterness hangs on for a long finish. It's a nice, aggressive IPA.

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle no bottle date.

A: Pours orange color with white head. Head does not stick around long at all and is thin. Some carbonation on the glass but not a large amount.

S: Some citrus notes up front, grapefruit and tangerine primarily. Also get some malty notes in the back end.

T/M: Taste is really dry and pine filled. Also get the tangerine and grapefruit notes in the taste. Love the way this beer goes down, very drinkable. I would say that the hop profile holds up well but not the same from start to finish.

D: Good drinking beer that works out well. However, could use just a bit more character as it is rather one dimensional and ends not so great.

3.86/5  rDev +6.3%

poured half a pint from a friends growler that was purchased at abbott road consumers.

pours out a lightly hazed golden orange with a big white retentive head. lots of good looking sticky lace.

not much of an aroma. mettallic like malts jump out at me first. light dank piney hops, very light citrus hops noticable.

the taste is a little better than the aroma. nice balance. dank piney hops with some light citrus. mettallic bready malts. decent bitterness in the finish that lingers for a bit.

medium body, carbonation is a bit on the lighter side.

overall a decent drinker from a decent local brewery. not as hoppy as i might have liked and just a little too mettallic.

3.04/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks goes out to rageagainst123 for this!

Dark copper in color, transparent, with a bright white head of about a finger. Lacing is alright.

Aroma is slightly spicy, almost peppery, with a bit of lemon zest, and tangy malt sweetness. Smells a bit too sweet

Very bitter. But it seems the bitterness was the result of tunnel vision: bitter, but not hoppy. That sweetness I got in the aroma plays third fiddle here. The hop presence is more spicy and zesty.
It's not awful...it just needs to be more coherent and balanced.

Feel is good, it's crisp and a little creamy, and lightish in body.

Middle of the road on the drink.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a nice clear copper with about two fingers of tan head into my pint glass, nice retention and some splotchy lacing.

S - Aroma of sweet grain and hops. Grapefruit citrus notes are there as well as fruity notes of apple and banana, also lemon grass, clove, spice, smells more like a Belgian IPA to me.

T - Lots of hop bitterness without much caramel backbone to balance it out. Grain and biscuit are about all I get before the bitter hops take over. Some strong grapefruit zest in there. This beer is confusing me because I love hops, which this really has, but there is no substance to it.

M - Feels a little thin for the style, bitterness is not balanced out.

D - This is drinkable, I had some last night and seemed to enjoy it and now that I am sitting here taking the time to review I am not enjoying it nearly as much. Solid attempt, but a miss in my book.

CB's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA from CB Craft Brewers