Butte Creek Organic Porter - Butte Creek Brewing Company

Butte Creek Organic PorterButte Creek Organic Porter

good

Butte Creek Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 12-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butte Creek Organic Porter Alström Bros
1.83/5  rDev -48.5%

Initial impressions: massive head develops when poured, and lots of carbination for the style.

A: Perhaps an unfiltered beer, as the two bottles I sampled have lots of black floating specks visible when the ale is less than 1/4 inch remaining in the bottle. Not too visually appealing.

S: Smells average, with coffee and chocolate being the main things I can smell.

T: Here is the problem. The taste is rancid-- reminds me of bitter two day old coffee.

M: Reasonable mouth feel for the sytle, but doesn't stand out as particular good.

D: Unbalanced toward the bitter and rancid side. I am a fan of porters and stouts, but this style does not have the proper malt sweetness to balance correctly.

Overall, very disapointing for the price (about $9+ per six pack).

Surefire, May 19, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -48.5%

This review is typed up from notes in my notebook.

A - Dark Brown almost black with a circle of white head. Not much of a head on this one though.

S - chocolate/vanilla with a hint of alcohol

T - a little chocolate / dark malt flavor but not much flavor in this one.

M - watery with a light carbonation. Awful

D - easy to drink like water is ... no flavor or carbonation. Not good at all and will not try this again.

jpmclaug, Jul 08, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -42.3%

Dark ruby. Thin beige head with little retention. Lace is negligible. Yeasty, moldy aroma. Not good.
Mouthfeel is overcarbonated and gaseous. The taste is off. Moldy and astringent. Doesn't taste like a porter at all. Hell, it doesn't taste much like a beer at all. I'd take Bud Light over this any day.

Bighuge, Mar 29, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -40%

Dark, dark cherry. Head is next to nonexistent.
Nose of metal, burnt toast, and celery.
Enters full of chocolate and toasted dark breads, then touching upon mild roast coffee. Pleasing, albeit momentarily. In rushes a clingly lactic sourness, destroying any and all malt structure. Traces of yeast, metal and spicy veggies (peppers and celery, I guess), and unreined alcohol vapors round out the experience.
Gassy initially, the the CO2 settles out, leaving a glass of thin, lifeless liquid.
Bottom rung.

cokes, Sep 08, 2004
2.33/5  rDev -34.4%

A: Pours a pretty thin head and it a little brown, but otherwise pretty good looking. Lots of carbonation on the sides and bottom, but can't see much active carbonation.

S: Hmmm, not sure what's going on here. I get caramel malt, fruit, some other things I'm not sure what they are. Sort of acidy/chemically.

T: Oh the HORROR. Very acidy/chemically/astringent. It tastes like cold burnt coffee, bad baking cocoa and sand. Yes, sand. It tastes like the beach.

M: Not bad, having a hard time focusing on it.

D: avoid.

Maybe I'll have to try this again in case this was a bad bottle, but I see no reason why it would be.

mdwalsh, Jul 31, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -33%

12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass. 6.1% ABV

A: Dark woody brown with a finger of light brown head that quickly disappeared into a thin film around the edge of the glass leaving faint lacing.
S: Sweet malt with subtle hop undertones. Some slightly nutty notes, and maybe roasted coffee.
T: The flavor is not strong, but the predominant flavor of this beer is strong black coffee, almost burnt. There is a fair amount of sweet malt upfront that fades away into a slight grassy hop flavor, but that quickly fades as your palate is taken over by roasted black coffee. The aftertaste of this beer is that of coffee grounds. I could have sworn I just took a sip of coffee and not porter.
M: Decently thin and watery. I was expecting something with a fuller body and a heavier mouth feel based on the oily coffee grounds flavor. Carbonation is low and fizzy. The burnt aftertaste is a bit off putting to me. It is almost tastes like a cigarette or ash.
D: Not my favorite porter. This tastes too much like burnt coffee grounds to me, and it is too thin in the mouth. Spend your money on something else.

scottfrie, Mar 01, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

Brown.

Dry as hell in the nose with notes of wet cardboard, coffee beans, dark fruits and bitter chocolate.

Dryness continues with a lackluster malt accented flavor profile of caramel, bitter chocolate and coffee beans. Complete lack of body. Astringent and somewhat moldy.

Crosling, Mar 29, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 05/29/08.

Pours a very dark brown, almost black. A thin finger of tan head popped up then quickly disappeared. Aromas of roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee.

Honestly, the taste isn't very good. Tastes like stale old coffee with very little chocolate flavor. Has a very slight sour/tart taste to it. Not very pleasant or balanced. Too much roasted flavor, not enough sweet malt.

Feel is a bit thin, watery, and overly carbonated for a porter. Drinkability suffers due to the taste and feel. Not a very balanced beer.

bkilpatr, May 30, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -31.8%

A: snifter. deep, rich mahogany color. light tan head that was ridiculously high, about four fingers in width. good retention though and a large amount of lacing.

S: some coffee and toffee from the roasted malts. Almost has a funky aroma, some sourness. I am now thinking this is an infected bottle.

T: good roasted malts...coffee, toffee and some chocolate. Wonderful flavors, to bad it was a bad bottle.

M: way too much carbonation. it has a moderate mouthfeel and body, but the damn infection just killed this tasting.

D: has potential, but this batch was infected, which is common for me with organic beers.

paulthebeerguru, Jun 15, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance: A gusher, pours a dark brown color with a huge head that fades somewhat quickly, though it leaves plenty of lace

Smell: Roasty, almost ashen aroma

Taste: Roasty flavor, up front, with hints of sweet chocolate; after the swallow, the ashy flavors kick in

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with way too much carbonation

Drinkability: It's very hard to taste the underlying flavors with the overcarbonation problem; the reviews of others show a range of carbonation profiles, which leads one to wonder whether this brewery is facing real quality control problems

brentk56, Oct 28, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

man, for an active looking carbonation this beer can't keep a head on it for sh#@! it just pops right away leaving my looking down at my own reflection. what a bummer. dear god, this looks like soda pop, same color and everything.
some sweet corn on the nose and molasses, a touch of maple nothing too special. where in the heck is the hops scent? the bottle said hops...we'll see.... the scent is thin and just isn't ringing my bell, smells wrong to me.
there is a touch of smokey peaty flavor a touch of coffee maybe. this is one porter i just didn't like, rare. i'd save my money and pretend some better porter is organic. it's cloyingly sweet and ill-balanced. the palate is left with a flimsy finish. where the hell are the hops? i'm not even a hop head but please give me something to sink my teeth into, it'd add alot to this beer to hop it up. just think of the head alone. jeeze, nevermind, i give up trying to reconcile this.
medium carbonation and syrupy mouthfeel.
too corney for me to drink again unless it's in a different serving or something. i'd love it if this was good but it's really not.

pio, Mar 09, 2004
2.76/5  rDev -22.3%

suckaj, Aug 14, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance - Pours a dark ruby brown color with a light, coca colored finger width head. Sub-par retention. Fine, sticky lacing.

Smell - Faint aroma; notes of moderately roasted chocolate malt, and not much else.

Taste - Flavors are just as subtle as the smell. Copper notes ring throughout, while moderate roasted malt character peaks mid-taste- caramel and subtle chocolate. Finishes with earthy character, somewhat like dirt and with a lot of the copper.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with fair carbonation.

Overall - Not a very good tasting porter. Lots of odd, metallic character dominates much of the experience. No freshness date, so I have no way of knowing if this was just an old or infected bottle. In any event, I'm in no hurry to want to try this one again.

TheSixthRing, Nov 16, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -18.9%

This is my first organic beer, so I was hoping that it would be good, I guess organic doesn't always mean better taste.

The appearance was decent, but it seemed a bit flat too me.
I was hopeful when I smelled it, the aroma is nice with hints of coffee and chocolate. However when I took my first sip, I was left with a lot of desire for flavor. It doesn't taste bad, but I expected a bolder taste. The feel is kind of light for a porter. I'll finish the six pack, but I won't likely buy this again.

SouthLoopSuds, Sep 06, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -18.3%

S: Poured out of a 12.oz bottle

A: Pours out a dark brown, but when held to the light it has a ruby reddish color.

S: Not much smell to this one. Sweet smell to it.

T: I was looking for more from this porter. Roasted malt taste with a little coffee taste as well.

M: Pretty low carbination in the mouth. Goes down fairly smooth.

D: Well at 9 bucks a 6/pack I was just looking more outta this beer. I would have to rate it as just decent.

Sneekeren, Jan 18, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured out of a bottle into a regular pint glass, this beer looks promising. Not a whole lot of head, but a nice dark brown bordering on black. I expected a nice porter. That's when the aroma attacks you with something smoky, and ashy unlike anything I expected out of this porter that didn't really claim to have a smoke character. The taste is some sort of burnt malt, cigarette/cigar kind of undertone with a chocolate and dark caramel up front. It's interesting but not really my style. The mouthfeel is odd, as it kind of has a drying astringent feel to it while there is some decent carbonation trying to round it out. I'm kind of conflicted on this beer, as I expected a lot and didn't really get it. Maybe there's a time and place for it, but I may not go back.

kleffman, Oct 07, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours out blackish brown with an inch of dirty white foam on top. Nose is lightly roasted malts with a bit of sugar on the edge. Not a lot there though.

Taste starts out with a nice lightly roasted flavour, and a residual sweetness similar to a milk stout. Finish is a slight bit of bitter. No single part of this flavour really stands out in particular. It's not all that roasted, and while the sweetness is somewhat unusual, it's not big enough to impact the flavour that heavily. I guess average for the style at the end of the day.

The mouthfeel and drinkability are both about run of the mill for a porter.

The bottom line: I picked this up because I'm a fan of porters, and the organic thing sounded like a nice idea, but this beer is nothing special. None of the flavours are standing out. Decent, but nothing more than that.

CortexBomb, Nov 16, 2007

Appearance: Dark brownish-amber in the pour, it's got a filtered coffee sort of look to it. An unhurried pour leaves me with a finger of off-white head, which settles into a thin crown after a short period.

Smell: Lightly roasted malt and whole grain bread. A bit of acidity, slight sweetness and a touch of coffee to round things out. Metallic at warmer temperatures.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fruity to start with a coffee-like acidity. It becomes sweeter mid-palate, mildly roasty and chocolatey with an out of place blackberry-like element. Light and fizzy mouthfeel, not watery per se but lacking in body. The finish is acidic and slightly astringent, bringing to mind burnt coffee. Not awful, but certainly not good.

largadeer, Sep 17, 2009

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a brown bottle with no best by date.

A: Darkest brown, almost black. Thin tan head and slight lacing.

S: Sweet malts and other unidentifiable scents.

T&M: Light to medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Decent taste up front. Slightly burnt cocoa flavors. Fades quickly after a wierd fizzy sensation on the roof of the mouth.

I have to admit that I haven't had many good 'organic' brews. This is okay and it is difficult for me to really recommend as I am not a huge fan of porters. It is okay.

cdizinno, Aug 05, 2009

Kopfschuss, Feb 01, 2012

12 oz brown bottle.

A- Good tan head. Dark brown with red highlights. Attractive.

S- Sweet. Roast aromas. Touch of bananas. Smell isn't very strong.

T- Roasted flavours with noticeable burnt ash. Not too sweet. Some malty, dried fruit flavours back in there but too hidden. Faint lingering bitter aftertaste. Somehow doesn't manage to come together right. The roasted flavours are too burnt.

MF- Numbs the tongue and leaves the mouth feeling off. Bit of a warming feel.

D- OK sipping beer. Wouldn't want it too often or in large quantities.

JOaikido, Nov 02, 2007

kchannel9, Jan 21, 2012

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.39. In the past, whenever I've tried organic brews they've seemed very mediocre, usually rather bland. Hopefully, this will prove the exception, as there's nothing worse than a short-changed porter.

Poured a very dark brown. Despite a vigorous pour, the head yielded was a medium light tan. It dropped fast, though a very slight collar remained.

Smell was of dark chocolate and burnt malt. They didn't seem to meld together too well, but I've certainly smelled much worse.

Like the smell, the taste was dominated by the burnt malt and dark chocolate flavor. There was also a slight hop dryness at the swallow. While not tasting bad, this is not terribly interesting tasting.

Seemed a tad watery for a porter, but not to an alarming degree.

This is yet another organic beer brewed with the best of intentions, but comes up short. It's not a bad beer, but it's only worth seeking out if you are on an organic kick. Otherwise, there's a lot of tastier porters out there.

woemad, Mar 29, 2005

I found this beer to be lacking a little for myself. I'm not sure if that is personal preference or not...

The beer poured a med to dark brown with a very very thin pale tan head, that dissipated quickly.
The hints of roasted malt and coffee were light but yet a little sweet.
There was a touch of roasted almond, coffee and burnt cocoa on the pallet which was good, but from a porter I would like it to be a little stronger in its offerings of taste.
The mouthfeel to me was very thin, and quickly flows off the tounge. There really wasn't a lingerin finish from viscosity.
Could I drink more than one? Yes, but would prefer a stronger porter.

MexicanSkittel, May 13, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

Haven't had this stuff in probably 3 years, used to get it in California.

This poured almost headless, deep brown\near black with this small fizzy brown head. Smelled like espresso and pumpernickel. Left a thin film on the glass, wouldn't really call it lacing.

Tastes is heavy on the espresso flavor, not much else can poke through, maybe a bit of chocolate, but certainly not the hops. It's drinkable in a thin watery-Porter way, but the taste is a bit simple. Mouthfeel is the same as after drinking a cup of warm coffee. OK, but not as good as I remembered, either it was a better beer then or I am a better beer drinker now...

PopeJonPaul, Jun 03, 2004