Blue Marble Organic Pilsner - Butte Creek Brewing Company

Blue Marble Organic PilsnerBlue Marble Organic Pilsner

Butte Creek Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: mattster on 04-14-2008)
Reviews by Pegasus:
3.35/5  rDev +21.4%

Appearance: Slightly hazy medium golden color, with a moderate white cloud top head, which retains well. The lacing is scattered and broken. Streams of small bubbles rise lazily to the surface, renewing the head.

Aroma: Abundant cracker malt, mild noble hops, and hints of skunk.

Taste: Opens with mildly sweet pale malt, this carries throughout the taste. Towards the middle of the taste, mildly bitter herbal hop notes appear. As the taste draws to a close, sharply bitter medicinal hop notes appear to bring the taste to a close, but linger on well past its end.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full, soft, with a hint of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A fairly well-made example of a classic style and one in which it is quite difficult to stand out.

Presentation: Packaged in a plain twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pop-off crown, served in a Pilsener glass.

3.35/5  rDev +21.4%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Another organic beer, at least it is not the same amber, pale ale or IPA ... a Pilsener.

Good pale yellow clarity with only a faint trace of particles that drop to the bottom of the glass, my guess is that it is protein that never got 100% filtered out and has now dropped out of the beer. Thin lacing stays with the beer. Faint sulphur yeast, big spicy hop and a dried grass graininess in the aroma. Decent smoothness and light bodied, expected a bit more crispness here. Good balance between the spicy herbal hop bitterness and the dry grassy grain maltiness. Finishes dry with a lingering hoppiess.

Decent, if I could get this beer in MA for less than $4 a six-pack I'd be buying a couple cases at a time just to have around as a fall back beer.

1.43/5  rDev -48.2%

Opened 12 ounce bottle, poured into Pilsner.

Upon pour, forms virtually no head. Color is very light clear straw with some bubbles floating to the top in brew.

Smell is corny. Taste is really sour with very bitter finish. Bubbles are controlled but very undrinkable due to difficulty palating and aftertaste.

I will rereview in a few weeks - maybe I got a bad bottle.

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsener glass. Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a half inch of head. Head dissipates quickly yet offers light casual lacing through the glass.

Nose varies from lightly sweet malts to grassy herbal scents with a hint of sugared berry and fig, perhaps some adjunct vegetable but not overwhelming. Taste is a bit hard to describe and doesn't stand up to the nose, rather neutral yet very light in flavor with a hint of lemon. Finish is pleasant though nondescript and could use a bit more carbonation to liven things up in my opinion. Slightly sweet on the finish as I don't detect any bitterness. Light in alcohol and goes down smooth. Not a preferred style of mine but has no real faults.

3.7/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden color , small head , no lacing.

Smell is faint, caramel , some light hops.

I can taste some nobel hops , nice light Pilsner bite.

Mouthfeel is thin , good carbonation.

Not my favorite style , but a good representation. I could drink a few of the on a hot day.

3.4/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Prima Pils pilsener glass. Cloudy pee yellow with some strange little translucent chunks floating about. Foamy open head that does hang around.

Aroma is malty grass.

Bitter twang of hops and raw underripe plant/chlorophyll veggies. Aftertaste is bitter, tart hop finish, and again a wierd raw underripe flavor.

Drinkiablity does not improve, instead it coats the palatte and makes me smack my cheeks. This isn't a bad beer, just not great. I like a good pilsener, and this is just okay.

2.75/5  rDev -0.4%

1.9/5  rDev -31.2%

Been holding onto this one for a while to try and finally got around to trying it today. Poured as a very very light yellow with nice head that dissipated rather quickly into soap scum. I've seen things with much better color than this, definitely one of the worst appearances for a beer I've seen so far.

Smell was somewhat like a Heinkenen, rather skunky and not much else. I could discern a bit of grain but overall, didn't impress me very much.

Taste was mostly bitter and skunky. It's like a slightly tweaked version of Heinkenen. Which is good if you like that beer but overall, not very flavorful.

Mouthfeel was very carbonated and bitter. Didn't go down smooth and had a bitter aftertaste that lingered a bit.

Drinkability was decent with this beer - I was able to finish it but it didn't get much better from the start, so I'm not going to get more of this beer.

A note - this beer is only available at World Market. It does have an use though! If you're having a party and someone only eats/drinks organic things you can replace this for Heinkenen as it's pretty much organic Heinkenen with a lower ABV.

2.4/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Ok...generally I pour a selection..THEN I go look or it on Beer Advocate. With this selection I was disappointed with the pour...and the rest of this offereing was also dissapointing. Color was straw, and the head was thin with no lacing. Carbonation was low.

Smell: There is a sweet presence which is in line with that is expected. There was also a butterey tang...this is considered a sign of poor brewing skills in the homebrew community.

Taste: Flavor was more like a Euro Lager rather than a Pilsner. Also, alcohol is evident in the flavor. Poor execution of the recipe. Not impressive.

Mouthfeel: Ok...but at this point I'm so fed up with the low overall quality that I find it impossible to score well on this section.

Drinkability: Overall this beer is not filling, but maybe that's just because I don't like it and did not finish this..I poured it out. Avoid purchasing this brew.

Prosit!
Nikki

2.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle.

Poured a lighter and hazy straw color with a small sized white head. Aromas of citrus, grass, and I'm getting a lighter butteriness. Thin tastes of grass, grains, and lemons. I foudn this to be a little thin all the way around.

Notes from 7/4/08

3.2/5  rDev +15.9%

For a cheap 3.79 beer... this is good stuff!

Ok it isn't the most sophisticated beer ever, but there is a fair amount of bitter hoppy flavor that makes this pilzner very drinkable. There is an odd aftertaste that I'm not as fond of...

I think the beer tastes better warmer than colder.

Very light body and almost zero head even when poured vigorously like a rice beer. I would pick this any day over a mass produced beer.

3.93/5  rDev +42.4%

Got this one as a christmas gift from my aunt Joyce. WHAT A FAMILY!!

Appearance is that of the typical Czech lagers out there; body is crystal clear with a crappy head yet decent lacing. An average loking pilsner, which isn't a bad thing, I just prefer a more robust and creamy head and a slightly darker color for mine. THat's all.

Hops and Honey, baby! Not bad, not bad. Jeez, that smells honey sweet. Hops are bready and floral.Either they used crazy yeast or they have a crazy specialty malt tgat produces such sweet aroma in this beer. Other than the sweet, however, I don't find anything else to say about the malt bill.

Taste is in the middle. It doesn't taste like a light beer, even though it has less alcohol than a Miller Lite. But lets rate per the style. There is so much going on with the hops, usually a good thing and in this case an alright thing, but I find a lack of malt balance. On the other hand, with the low ABV, I'm surprised that it is as balanced as it is. Buttered toast with some Czech-like (or just Czech, whatever) bready hops. Not bad. Better than some pilsners that come out of C. R.

Pretty average, except in this case average is above average due to the lack of fermentable sugars that this beer was brewed with, evident by the low ABV. Good Deal!

AT 3.9% ABV you won't find a better brew. That's my reasoning for a 5 for drinkability. HEY BUD/COORS/MILLER/EVERYBODYELSE Light/Lite... stop making a fuss about who has the best crappy beer with less alcohol and calories, and just make a good one like this. It can be done, and this one is proof! Seriously, you guys, it is amazing how this brew can be pretty damn good and beat the pants off of the macros and have LESS alcohol, which I assume means less calories. BRAVO!

P.S. I reviewed this brew while on the side Lake Shore Drive in Chicago while waiting for a tow truck after busting my car's axel on a wicked pot-hole. I may be a biased, but tonight, this beer was my best friend.

2.75/5  rDev -0.4%

From reading the other reviews on this one, maybe I just got a bad bottle, but let me tell you... it was BAD! I couldn't even drink this beer... it was literally impossible. I popped the cap and started pouring it into a pilsner glass. Before I got through the neck of the bottle, my glass was filled with thick foam that wasn't going anywhere fast. NO liquid whatsoever in the glass, just straight foam. I poured that out and tried again, same thing. I tried one last time then gave up. I then tried just drinking out of the bottle and was greeted with a mouthful of foam. NOT pleasant.

3.78/5  rDev +37%

12-oz bottle, into a similarly sized mug. Despite a vigorous pour, I only got the tiniest of heads out of this, and it faded right away. It does have a nice very bright, very light clear color. Aroma has a good amount of hops, floral with a citrus tinge, together with a sweet malt behind it. Flavor has a crisp, though light, bite of floral bitterness. Medium-light bodied. More carbonation would be a plus. There is some sweetness, but it dries out in the finish. Not the best pils I've ever had, but it's very drinkable--quaffable even.

3.8/5  rDev +37.7%

grass and brassy hops in the smell ... good white fluffed head on the pour, leaves a very nice lacing pattern, high class ... has an extremely pleasing and wonderfully biting bitter hop bite, everything you want in a pilsner!! ... is somewhat cloudy, with lower than usual bubbles .. I really enjoyed this beer!!!

3.13/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Searched in vain for any kind of batch or lot number, let alone a date. Nothing. I don't think the brewery could tell me when this was made.

A) A huge 4 finger head of bright white foam that VERY slowly drops down to a two finger head. Crazy foam! Thin gold base under all that fizz.

S) Oddest "homebrew" smell. Lightly perfumed roses and orange peel, but a bit cloying.

T) I didn't get much, a mineral water base with a pleasant peppery hop bitter, twist of bitter orange rind in the finish, a bit gin like.

M) Very carbonated, bit "burpy", dry finish.

D) Eh, I thought this might be infected on the pour, but it tastes ok, maybe just an overcarb'ed bottle. Flavor isn't much to write home about, but it's fairly tasty and nothing horribly wrong.
Not a big Pils fan, but this is one of the better organic offerings I've had.

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%

It has a pale yellow color, like lemonade. There is cloudiness to it with floating bits. Light passes through easily, but you can't make out images on the other side of the glass. It poured a thick foamy head that fades really slowly. When I poured it into the glass, I poured it gently, but it produced more head on a beer than I've ever seen before. It took three pours before I could pour all of the beer into the pilsner glass. The head was so thick that on the second attempt it actually extended out of the glass.

The smell is mainly of bitter hops. There is a hint of lemon grass, corn and sweet malts. It has a very mild taste that starts with sweet malts and finishes with a bitter hop flavor. As the beer warms to room temperature it takes on a biscuit finish.

It's a light bodied beer without much mouthfeel to it. There is no coating which could be good because the unpleasant aftertaste would last longer than anticipated. The carbonation is at a nice level, but is inconsistent with the amount of head that formed.

This isn't a bad beer, but it really is bitterer than I would prefer, especially in a pilsner that is supposed to be mild and maltier. It was pretty easy to drink, but the taste kind of haunts you and not necessarily in a good way. I really did not enjoy this beer, but I can see how some people would.

Blue Marble Organic Pilsner pours a light golden yellow with a minimal white head, actually more of a couple bubbles grouped together than a head. The aroma is very mild, possibly a bit of malt but no noticeable hops. There is a very light mouthfeel. Poorly balanced flavor here, a flash of malt, a touch of hops and an unpleasant bitterness at the finish. Not even mediocre.

2.68/5  rDev -2.9%

The aroma is malty with a grain husk and corn type malt, the hops are grassy and there is a hint of paper. The appearance is pale gold with a small but persistent head. The flavor is astringent bitter with a light sweet malt. The palate is smooth. Overall its no good.

1.73/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours a very clear watered down yellow. Minimal head.

Smell has the skunkiness of a heineken getting past that smells like any macro brew on the market. Nothing truly stands out.

Taste was not appealing. Brew was slightly bitter but not in a delicious hoppy way. I am sure if was served ice cold, more of the off flavor would not be so bad.

Mouth feel is slightly flat. Not enough carbonation to be called crisp.

Maybe an off bottle, but this is not all that drinkable. Even if served ice cold, the carbonation was not there to hold this brew up.

Blue Marble Organic Pilsner from Butte Creek Brewing Company