Reality Czeck - Moonlight Brewing Company

Czech Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2005

Reviews by Philousa:
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

Imbibed on tap at burger. Santa Cruz on 5/25/13.

Pours a clear, tawny yellow, bordering on orange. The thin white head sinks back to the glass after each sip. Tart, somewhat sweet, tangy, and a little walnut, this beer's aroma is dominated by yeast characteristics. Flavor has more sweetness in honey with biscuit and cracker. The hops are bright and nectary with a green, young bitterness to them. Finish is fairly sweet and feel is watery, as a good Pils should be.

I like this beer, but I think I'd reach for a Death and Taxes instead because its slightly sweet for me.

Presentation: Sampled on Tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa, on two separate occasions. The small tap handle simply had the words Reality Czeck on it. Served in a clean sleeve-like drinking vessel with a printed Moonlight symbol on it.

Appearance: The staff at Flavor Bistro knows their shit, and are all obviously well trained for every Pint I had of the Reality Czeck was the perfect pour from the Tap. A hazed yellow body, much more reminiscent of a Belgium Wit than a clean filtered golden Czech Pils; but Brian Hunt would be the first to tell you that he never conforms to styles to minute details. What is in the glass looks absolutely perfect though, a firm whisked egg-white head strays up and out of the top of the glass, last time I saw a head like this I heard the words “Eeets footin Strongarm Man” ring around from the pourer when I questioned it. The longevity of the head is supreme, it does collapse as you work your way through, but only to reveal and equally sexy clumpy covering that laces nicely with dominating and confident rings. Outstanding looks.

Nose: Crisp clean aromas, superlative punctuating fresh lightly hoppy nose with a restrained malt base that allows everything to balance. The Pint reeked of “freshness”; however you want to define that. Background had a lovely cereal husky nature, but this was a perfectly good thing, for me.

Taste: This is where it gets interesting, it had everything and nothing, so hard to describe but I recall, lemon, limes, grass, hop flowers, husky malt grains, firm toasts, citric sharpness with some metallic traits, but just as they should be with a talcum softness in the finish. Everything it needs to be, nothing more, and nothing less. Faultless.

Mouthfeel: Perfection, a firm and never waning medium body has a crisp resilient carbonation that effortlessly scours the plate and allows every last grain (literally) to cross the palate. Soft and purely ground down to a talcum powder texture, the sharpness of the hops and citric nature expand the horizons of the Mouthfeel, far from one-dimensional.

Drinkability: *DEADLY*

Overall: Seems wrong to give a perfect 5.0, but this really *IS* that good. To try to improve it would be like killing the Goose that lays the Golden Egg. On-draft, fresh from the Tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa, this was Simply Stunning, Exquisite, Dangerously Drinkable and Effortlessly Addictive. Believe the Hype and laugh at Prima Pils. Some slight deviations and variations from the better home-spun Czech Pils style that those anal nit-pickers revel in, I ignore them all, for the simple reason that my first taste of this literally reminded and mentally transported me back to my first trip to (the then) Czechoslovakia. It had me eulogizing about those first half-litres of Pilsner Urquell, StaroBrno, Gambrinus and Budvar that I tried way back in 1991. In that respect, this is where the Reality Czeck wins hands down. Forget my original reason to visit Russian River, sampling the Reality Czech at Flavor Bistro was worth the 900 mile round trip from Long Beach to Santa Rosa just for this alone.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance – This one is a brilliant yellow in color with lots of bubbly carbonation in the glass. The head was rich and white and topped this Pils excellently.

Smell – There’s a nice, light grain to the nose that shows some good (and rare) husky notes. The floral hops are so faint you can barely catch them, but I really enjoyed the husk as you can’t find it in good quality anymore.

Taste – The nice husky grain from the nose came on much stronger once I started drinking this Pils. I can’t tell you how nice it is to find a good, husky grain flavor.

It’s really what so many American efforts strive to be. The sadness of American corn really stands out after drinking this beer. You’ll have to wait at least a month or two after partaking of the Reality Czech before you can drink an American macro. Aptly named.

Mouthfeel – This is right smack dab in between light and medium-bodied with some perfect, crisp carbonation. It is super clean in the mouth. This is exactly how a refreshing Czech Pils should feel.

Drinkability – I ordered a round of three and somehow got four beers out of it. I bogarted the extra one and had no problem finishing it. Really, you can’t stop at Flavor Bistro without ordering at least two of these Moonlight Brewing specials; one to down in three gulps out of sheer decadence and the other to drink like a gentleman.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Toronado.

Pours a hazy light yellow, similar to a wit, but with the ample carbonation streams and light white head of a pilsner. Husky aroma of corn and grains along with lemon zest and herbal hops. Lively feel and flavor from carbonation and assertive hopping. Biscuits, lemon, grass clippings, and spice flavors. Flawlessly clean. Crisp like a frito. Spritzy even. Light bodied but with some unexpected creaminess. Sessionable.

Note: So this is a perfect pilsner… From now on I will gage pilsners, which are much, much more common here in the heartland then they are on the west coast, against this beer. Although this is certainly a great beer, I think I will find that there are many pilsners made by small breweries here in Wisconsin that can stand up to Reality Czech. That being said, kudos to Moonlight one of my favorite Bay Area brewers.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

The final 22oz bomber I'm trying from RedwoodG. I've been greatly looking forward to this one. Pours from the bomber into my glass a wonderful light golden yellow with a hint of orange. A small white head appears with plenty of bubbly, active carbonation. Very nice! Aromas begin with a nice crisp, grainy maltiness that has a faint toastiness. Herbal, grassy hops are quite prominent and blend in wonderfully. Really vibrant while at the same time quite laid back.

First sip brings a clean, crisp lightly grainy maltiness that has a very mellow toastiness. It's quickly followed by a wonderful grassy, herbal hoppiness. Flows down with a nice smack of bitterness on the back of the palate. Incredibly clean, crisp and bursting with flavor. Simply a wonderful pilsner all around. I get a light floral hint as well. Quite simply a wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel is light, smooth and even somewhat creamy. Plenty of bubbly carbonation flows down with each sip. Supremely drinkable...I could seriously enjoy the hell out of this brew all night long. A stellar pilsner with a plentiful hop bite. At 4.8%, if I was near Moonlight and somewhere that had this on tap regularly, I think I might be in trouble. Now it's time for me to visit California and get more....yum.

4.13/5  rDev -4%

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

RedwoodGeorge made this possible. Pours a slightly hazed, pale yellow body topped by a small white head. Lush carbonation is lovely to behold in the tall pilsner glass. Head retains well and leaves some decorous lace on the glass.

Lovely aroma has sweet, biscuity malt accented by lemon and honey. Solid hop backing is fresh, floral, and grassy. Hops are basically fresh cut hay and country club grass, but much more delicate. Spicy notes are picked up as well. Lovely!

Mouthfeel is light medium in body, with a solid velvety carbonation. Feels wonderful to slosh around in the jaws.

I'm surprised at how well balanced the taste comes off. Very similar to the aroma, lemon and honey notes accent the biscuity pils maltiness, as the fresh and leafy hops presence jumps to centerstage. Lemongrass, a hint of bitter florals, and the fresh grassy presence meld together exceedingly well. Mouth watering and juicy all the way through, with a spicy and dry hop finish.

This is the ultimate session beer. Certainly, the best pilsner I've ever tried. The 22 oz. bottle provided by George filled two tall pils glasses which emptied in what seemed to be record time. Damn! This stuff is off the scale in drinkability.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A nice, full-bodied taste for a lager. I noticed very slight herb notes. A very appealing golden-brown appearence. Very smooth but thick mouthfeel. It is an extremely drinkable beer. Not an overpowering nose, but overall one of the best beers I've had. I will definitely look forward to trying this beer in the future.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.91/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours out a very light straw beer with amazing clarity and pristine virgin white head 1.5" thick at Toronado SF. Aroma wasn't great, a bit of that funky saaz noble hop thing going probably, no skunkiness, but if you read my reviews, thats not always frowned upon compared to your average lager reviewer.

Crisp, clean, easy drinking, slight hop and bitter twang but no aftertaste or lingering flavors, just bam, done. A very good lager and all, but allow me to fulfill the stereotype and just say that there's easily one hundred ales I'd rather have than this beer. A good beer though and something worth looking for and seeking out if you're a lager guy or girl.

On tap @ Flavor Bistro

A golden straw pour with a thin, soapy rim. Looks extremely refreshing from jump... so let's dive in!

Well, we have a Pils here... but a really good one! Light citrus with lots of grass in the nose.

Taste is similar but I pick up a twinge of floral hops there too. Extremely crisp and refreshing. Easily the best pilsner I've ever encountered. Sharp carbonation, light mouthfeel and overwhelming drinkability. This one is a winner!

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Everytime I make it to San Francisco, I stop in at Toronado. Everytime I'm at Toronado, I'm sure to grab of pint of Reality Czeck. It brings me joy just knowing that my trip to SF will be blessed with this fine beer and I take comfort in knowing that Toronado always has it on draught.

It pours a strong yellow with a bit of head. The smell is phenomenal - it grabs you with simple flavors of bread and slight citrus. You even get a bit of the malts in the nose. The taste covers it all - simple in it's flavors - crisp and delicious.

Not only the best pilsener, I've ever had - but possibly the best session beer. And I could drink this everyday.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Toronado. Yellow coloured body with a white head. Grainy. Very nice session ale. Medium mouthfeel.Lightly sweet. To me, a good lager. Not much hops detected by my palate, and its early in the day. I am open minded, but I was expecting more.Appropriate carbonation.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

On-tap, 2/4/10 at Flavor. Served in a sloping half-pint glass.

Pale maize liquid with a touch of (chill?) haze and an even solid finger of magnolia foam. Soft peaks yield great retention. Clingy rings of lacing spread apart slowly without becoming submerged again.

Unitary pale malt aromatics - exceptionally clean. Very faint noble hops add a hint of hay.

The malt is superlative in the flavor profile. Pure, clean, potent, and faintly suggestive of fresh home-made tortilla chips (of all things). Succulent, sweet yet dry finish with a touch of honey and alfalfa. With nowhere to hide, I can find ZERO off notes.

Smooth, creamy, yet still light-bodied...lovely.

Simple need not mean simplistic - a thoroughly enjoyable example of the style.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Enjoyed on tap at The Monk's Kettle, San Francisco on July 17, 2010.

Although I found Moonlight Brewing's Reality Czech to be a touch malty, it otherwise hit the nail right on the head. It displayed a great golden color; a perfect white froth head with good retention; a swirling aroma of spicy/floral and slightly grassy hops over gently sweetish and straw-like malt; and a solid, balancing bitterness.

Nicely done!