Reality Czeck - Moonlight Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Moonlight Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Reality Czeck Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -38.1%

14 Feb 08

I am a fan of German (and Belgian) brewing traditions so I was looking forward to Reality Czeck when I sat down at the Toronado.

A: Unfiltered but clear, deep straw look.

S: Floral hops, lager notes, woody yeast in there maybe?

T: Lager notes up front, then noble hops ring through, then rough malt. For me, too hoppy for style (typical of west coast lagers). The bigger disappointment being the rough malt character.

M: Medium bodied, seemed too big with dry pallet.

D: Medium, due to dry pallet and rough malt.

A good beer, but a Czech pils is like someone doing ballet, gracefully, elegant. This pint was more like a hip-hop dancer, definitely an American version of the style.

3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

Had on tap at the Toronado in San Francisco. Served in a standard pint glass.

A - Poured a somewhat pale, golden color with excellent clarity and only a skim coat of white foam that faded quickly down to a medium sized collar on the glass. No lacing.

S - Grassy and floral hops mixed in with some sweet malt, bready and biscuity notes too. Typical, but good example of the style.

T - Followed the aroma pretty well - grainy, biscuity, balanced malty sweetness, floral hops with a big earthy and bitter hop finish. Unfortunately, got a big dose of diacetyl in here too, which is a major detractor, especially in a style as light as this. Not sure how old the keg is - no reviews from the Toronado in a while, but I would expect the keg to be fresh here. The diacetyl really killed my enthusiasm for this one.

M - Medium bodied with appropriate medium carbonation.

D - Well, I came into it wanting to like this a lot. The keg at the Magnolia kicked when I was there earlier in the day so I was very happy to see this on tap at the Toronado. My first thought is that this is just an old keg or maybe it hadn't been poured in a while and was sitting in the lines, but at a place like the Toronado I wouldn't expect this. At any rate, the diacetyl was overpowering and really killed my enjoyment level on this. I'd love to give this one another shot at some point, but at least for now, it didn't live up to the hype or my expectations.

3.22/5  rDev -24.8%

I had this on tap at Toronado's in San Francisco. The beer was clear with a little haze, gold colored with a thin head and no lacing. The aroma was toasted malts with some light citrus like lemons or at most orange. The taste was similar to Pilsner Urquell, at least as much as I remember it, lightly hopped and understated which is OK for the style. Good carbonation, medium body, everything is OK but not mind-blowing like I hoped from a beer that's been on the top 100 for so long. Not sure what the appeal has been with this beer, I definitely didn't feel interested enough to get a second one.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

I sample this beer with another BA who owes thanks for the opportunity to a trade with RedwoodGeorge.... Hand-bottled via counter-pressure system, this beer was interesting and the effort is appreciated.

As a guy who is not all that eh into to Pilsener's, I must admit in advance I tend to be hard to please in this style.

Appearance: Pour is a yellow gold with a small white head that fades fast. No notable lacing.

Smell: Odd. It had a Pilsener malt base with a attribute that seemed a bit farmhouse Saison sitting lingering atop in the nose. It had a cat-pee-ish/saison spicy overtone that caught me off guard.

Taste: It is dry and bitter and certainly a bit aggressive for a Pilsener with grain and pils malt and grassy floral hops that bite in the throat.

Mouthfeel:This is a light bodied beer that is creamy and smooth yet dry and and clean. Apropos.

Drinkability: As I got further along on this beer I started to warm up to it a bit more. By the time I was really enjoying it the bottle was gone. So, it must not have been to bad.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

Drank on-tap at Toronado, San Francisco, CA
Served in a tumbler

Poured a slightly hazy, bright straw yellow with a tight, bubbly, bright white, one-finger head. Short-lived rings of lacing stuck to the sides of the glass.

The aroma was very mild initially but it came out more as the beer warmed. Pilsener-style malts were noticeable along with a definite noble (and possibly saaz?) hop presence. Grassy and flowery. A touch skunky as well.

The taste was crisp, snappy and quite spicy. Piney, pithy and very dry. Somewhat grainy with lots of hop oils and practically no malt presence to speak of. Rather unbalanced and almost a bit harsh. The resonating finish was super piney, bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied. Creamy, lush and smooth with a fine yet intense carbonation. Mouth coating.

Drinability was rather disappointing, especially for the style. A similar hop profile may have been acceptable for a an imperial pilsner with a much higher ABV, but not for a beer that rings in at a modest 4.8%.

Reality Czeck is simply a super hopped up version of a Czech pilsener. Frankly, I was expecting a whole lot more from this brew.

3.56/5  rDev -16.8%

3.57/5  rDev -16.6%

On tap at CIty Beer Store in S.F. Thanks to Craig for the sample of this. Smell was somehow of a spiced cream corn, and not corn in the way that cheap beers smell or taste of corn. Light clearish yellow color with a unique taste to match the smell. Has a nice almost spiced maybe subtle bitter bite to it, and was quite nice. An interesting beer worth trying if you can get a shot at it.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Expanded from notes taken 1/3 @ The Toronado - SF

Something of a disappointment, and (to my tastes) quite clearly a product of its limited distribution and hype (it's far and away the most well reviewed pilsner out there). This is by no means a bad beer, but it's not the best Czech Pilsner out there, let alone the best Pilsner. It's not even the best US made Czech Pils I've ever had. All that said... it's good, and I'd happily drink it again.

Looks like you'd expect a pilsner to look. It's pale gold with just a hint of head and no serious lacing to speak of.

Aroma is malt forward... and that's alright. I like pilsner malt aromas. But the hops are firmly in the background, and overall it seems a bit thin, even for a pils.

The taste is almost shocking... it's slightly full bodied for a pilsner, and the wallop is that it's a kind of raggedy malt profile that again dominates the palate, and a shy, vaguely spicy bitterness that hides at the end. There's a bit of a toffee note around the edge (at first I thought this might be diacetyl, but I think it's just a slightly too far forward melanoidin character).

Despite the slightly fuller feel, I'm alright with the mouthfeel, it's carbonated right (although that's more Toronado knowing what the hell they're doing than anything), and it's not HEAVY, it provides a more substantial experience than your typical watery nothing american lager descendant.

While a perfectly drinkable and perfectly easy to drink beer... this isn't something I see myself asking for again. Particularly when it's dark cousin (Death and Taxes) keeps calling my name so seductively.

3.59/5  rDev -16.1%

Had on-tap at Toronado in San Francisco. A good pilsener is one of me favourite styles of beer, so I was very excited to try the top-rated example here on BA.

Pours a bright and slightly hazed straw yellow colour. Head is fine, leaving excellent white and intricate lace, that starts as sheets down the glass. Light body with some fine carbonation. Looks very good, and very stylistically true.

Nose is disappointingly bland. Grainy for the most part, giving a pilsner grain backbone to which nothing else connects. A little vegetative bit, but minimal depth of character.

Taste is grainy, again—the pilsener grain character is pronounced, but it feels like it's all it has going for it. Otherwise, a slight funk of frozen peas, minimal bitterness and no fragrant hoppiness. It's crisp and drinkable, but still rather bland.

Light and drinkable, but also very standard, and rather uninspiring. It's fair to say I was deeply disappointed with this beer, being nothing more than a middle-of-the-road pils. As far as I'm concerned, New Zealand has the jump on this style nowadays—Croucher and Emersons far outstrip this one.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/9/11.

A-A very clear golden color with a finger of white foam in a pint glass... I've seen this one before.

S-Lemon and spicy hop notes with light and bready malt notes.

T-Light, bready malt notes with some tart and bitter lemon on the finish.

M-Light side of medium bodied with ample carbonation and a prickly slightly drying feel.

D-A very easy drinking beer that I wouldn't mind having regular access to; however, I don't see what all the fuss is about with this beer as I've had other Czech pilseners that were equal or better than this one.

3.66/5  rDev -14.5%

So having this on tap now.

Poured a slight hazy golden yellow with slight orange glow. There was a 1/4 inch off white head, that left in about a min. The haze was one as well after it set to a bright gold.

The smell is faint, little straw and malt.

Taste is kinda mild too. Watery straw tea, I find sone citrus.

Mouthfeel is nice and easy. Aside from a light bitterness on the finish, I could easily take down six of these on a hot sunny day. Granted it's drizzling today so mostlikely just one today.

Overall, not bad, but certainly not my favorite. I was expecting just a little bit more. I'll revisited again though.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Toronado. Yellow coloured body with a white head. Grainy. Very nice session ale. Medium mouthfeel.Lightly sweet. To me, a good lager. Not much hops detected by my palate, and its early in the day. I am open minded, but I was expecting more.Appropriate carbonation.

Reality Czeck from Moonlight Brewing Company