Reality Czeck - Moonlight Brewing Company

Moonlight Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2005

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

"Sampled through the efforts of RedwoodGeorge without which it would not be possible." -Zorro

might not sound like it, but confidently stating that this looks like a fresh glass of budweiser is quite a compliment. essential yellow with caramel amber edges. a herd of tiny bubbles rise effortlessly through the crisp brew. creamy topper that leaves crowns of pilsner lace.

sweet, nutty aroma with light floral earth tones. fruity sugary notes remind me of boiling wort and fresh-baked holiday bread. there is even a slight candied orange waft that reminds me of a rich, dense belgian golden maltiness. smells much larger than 4+%.

hops say hello in the taste, right off the bat. the bitterness of the floral, perfumey hops is low/medium octane, and allows this flavorful brew to remain very drinkable. the base beer here is a very malty pilsner, providing some interesting honey, brown sugar, and graham cracker flavors. finishes dry, a bit chalky, and certainly jars the drinker into surprising submission.

the things that makes this beer the stuff of legends are not excessively creative flavor blends or double extreme anything. it's the presentation of a fresh, flavorful session beer that incorporates massive amounts of taste, practically nothing off-kilter, and the ability to session the hell out of it. i would drink the shit out of this beer if it was available to me locally. a true treat and an excellent, green west coaster. (1,448 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%

A medium aggressive pour into my Pilsner glass rewards me with a slightly chill hazed golden yellow Pilsner. The beer almost seems to glow in the glass. One thing that does seem to be lacking is head formation.

Smell is quite aromatic. High level of lemony and herbal hops aroma with the characteristic grassiness that you expect to be present in a Pilsner. Quite grainy with a lot of clean and fresh Pilsner malt in the smell.

Taste is dry with an up front sharp and pleasant herbal hop hit that lasts. Quite herbal and woody after a few sips. Good lemony note and lots and I do mean LOTS of aggressive hop in the flavor, this is no pumped up macro lager. This is hopped so that the bitterness never lets up.

Mouthfeel is good and full.

Drinkability will be questionable for lots of people. This is a VERY aggressive Pilsner, if you loved Sam Adams imperial Pilsner you will love this. If you like regular type lagers and try this as just a little stronger you will get shocked. This is A LOT stronger than most any lager you could name. Like a big hop smack you will love it; if you don't you will be over powered. (1,216 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

The Holy Grail. I’ve heard so much about this beer. I was almost afraid to try it. Fearing my expectations won’t match the reality. I was finally able to try this beer on tap at Flavor in Santa Rosa.
It poured hazy straw gold with lots of champagne bubbles. Light aroma of saaz hops. It had an earthy character. Mushrooms? Possibly a little green apple. . Taste is crisp clean. Very sparse. I detect that earthiness again in the flavor. Light, crisp and clean. With a biting tartness from the hops used. Extremely drinkable, this would be an unbelievable warm weather beer. It was worth the wait. (600 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance – This one is a brilliant yellow in color with lots of bubbly carbonation in the glass. The head was rich and white and topped this Pils excellently.

Smell – There’s a nice, light grain to the nose that shows some good (and rare) husky notes. The floral hops are so faint you can barely catch them, but I really enjoyed the husk as you can’t find it in good quality anymore.

Taste – The nice husky grain from the nose came on much stronger once I started drinking this Pils. I can’t tell you how nice it is to find a good, husky grain flavor.

It’s really what so many American efforts strive to be. The sadness of American corn really stands out after drinking this beer. You’ll have to wait at least a month or two after partaking of the Reality Czech before you can drink an American macro. Aptly named.

Mouthfeel – This is right smack dab in between light and medium-bodied with some perfect, crisp carbonation. It is super clean in the mouth. This is exactly how a refreshing Czech Pils should feel.

Drinkability – I ordered a round of three and somehow got four beers out of it. I bogarted the extra one and had no problem finishing it. Really, you can’t stop at Flavor Bistro without ordering at least two of these Moonlight Brewing specials; one to down in three gulps out of sheer decadence and the other to drink like a gentleman. (1,376 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Reviewed from notes taken on 3/4/06 @ Flavor.

Pours a clear golden color with a fluffy white head. Thick lacing on the glass.

Huge aroma of crisp pils malts and spicy Saaz. I mean, this smells perfect.

Tastes just like it smells, perfect! Super crisp and malty with that delicious Pils malt flavor. There are loads of spicy Saaz that compliment the malts perfectly. It is perfectly balanced and tastes super fresh.

Solid body, slick texture, perfectly carbonated.

This is a beer among beers. I have had some delicious pilsners, but this is special. I am sorry that I wasn't able to bring any back home with me.

[EDIT] I have since learned that no Saaz is used in this beer, rather an unlikely combination of American hops. It's still the best beer I have had to date, and I wish it were more accessible. (823 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

This is an amazing beer.

All aspects of this beer are good, but the mouthfeel is especially terrific - a warm round melting of lingering hops and light malt.

Extremely drinkable - goes down easy and the complex character of the beer is still very present even after a few drinks.

The flavor and smell are very complex, it is dangerous to try and catagorize this beer.

My only qualm is the lack of head on this beer. I suspect it was the bartender with an improper pour, since I could easily see and taste the heavy carbonation.

All I can say is this is a must try it if you have a chance. (607 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

After having more glasses of this beer than I can count, including two last night, I feel it's time to chime in...

I should start this review by first stating that I generally do not like pilsners. I dig the big beers and like my hops nice and fruity. Before drinking this beer, I had pretty much written off the style as a whole.

Poured at Toronado into a standard pint glass. Golden with a fluffy head, the head dies down. Crystal clarity on this one. Unfiltered eh? Who knew.

The nose is ultra clean floral/grassy spicy hops with a bready malt underneath.

On to the taste. Goes down so smooth and clean with a pronounced hop bite and spicyness with a biscuity malt flavor finishing it off. The hop finish lingers in the best of ways. I finally understand what people are talking about when they say pilsners have a hop bite.

This is arguably, ounce for ounce, the most drinkable beer ever made. The subtley and nuance is staggering. It can be enjoyed by the slow sip or heavy gulp. Refreshing yet refined. Clean yet bold. This beer definitely walks the fine line to achieve the best of all worlds.

I have been a fan of Moonlight since I randomly ordered a Death and Taxes during my first trip to Toronado about two years ago. When I order a moonlight, I expect a beer that is completely unorthodox with no definable style. The devil may care vibe of Moonlight always made it an interesting choice, and never a disappointment. But, unlike I am used to, Reality Czeck is a completely different. This is not a "take" on the pilsner style, it is not an americanized variation or a stylistic homage. It is a straight up Czeck pilsner, just the pinnacle of craft (that I have had so far). There is a refinement to a style I had passed on that makes this beer so damn enjoyable. Extremely versatile, damn delicious, world class. (1,847 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

08/04/05- On tap at Zeitgeist in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- From the tap into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Lighter golden color with a very minimal head. The slightest of lacing. This is the least strongest point of this beer.

Smell- A very fruity hop scent as well as a small grainy background.

Taste- Wow! Everyone is right. This is the taste you are going for in a perfect pils. Very high hop presence. Fruitier than most pils. Not the extreme bitterness you find in most. Mild grain flavor. Sweet but in a perfect way.

Mouthfeel- Very creamy, lower carbonation (weird, but I like it) and a fuller mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Please, oh please bottle this!!! Session beer at it's best. Best pils hands down. So well put together and balanced. (769 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on-tap at the Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa and the Zeitgeist in SF.

Appearance: Not as good at the Zeitgeist, but incredible looking at the Flavor Bistro. Thick, thick head. Nice lacing. Golden color with some peach notes.

Taste: unusual Pils hops dominate. Weird at first. Piney. I think these hops are Amarillo. Nice change of pace.

Drinkability: Different hops make you want to try this again. For whatever reason, this has sat heavy in my stomach. Has made me feel very full.

Thanks to Venom for putting this on the BA radar screen. (557 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance and Presentation – On tap at Zeitgeist during a recent stay in San Fran. It starts out with a small white head that quickly falls to nothing. The beer itself is a deep golden with only a hint of haze. Carbonation appears almost non-existent. It is hard to blame the low carbonation and lack of head on the brewery, but I can only talk about what I had.

Smell – Good hop aroma, a real mix of herbal and earthy, mixed with some sweet malts. The aroma does show a bit of estery character which is not at home in a pilsner. The lack of head made me really work to get the aroma, it certainly was not jumping out of the glass.

Taste – This is where this beer really shines, powerful hop flavor without being bitter and good slightly sweet malts as well. It is not overly complex but it is perfectly balanced. This is what almost every pilsner I have had strives to be.

Mouthfeel – Here too this beer excels, unlike most pilsners Reality Czeck has a medium-full mouthfeel that is slightly creamy. The low carbonation is the only detraction here.

Drinkability and Notes – Great drinkability because of the superb balance and terrific flavor. This is probably the second best pilsner I have had, behind only Prima Pils. I wish it had been more carbonated, but it was still a good craft brewed pilsner. (1,321 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

How unfair (or fortunate?) that I should try two outstanding Pilsners in one week - (The other being Victory Prima) I'm going to start having much higher expectations for these Czech Lagers...

The beer poured a nice deep gold with a fluffy, sticky white head. The head died down pretty quickly but left lots of lacing on the glass.

The smell was incredibly inviting - quite a bit hoppier than you'd expect, almost into Pils/IPA territory. Lots of notes of new-mown graaz with a few hints of pine and citrus. As the Redhead observed: "I know what the beer is going to taste like just from the smell" (and right she is)

What struck me as interesting about the taste is that it's quite 'solid', not watered down or thin tasting like many pilsner lagers. Plenty of hops but far from bitter. Mostly Noble but I could swear there are echoes of Cascade or Centennial in there. The malt is a bit more subdued but certainly there enough to provide balance. There are some slightly sweet notes and a wee bit of fruit - I could swear I tasted tangerine in the background.

Mouthfeel is just what it's supposed to be - solid, plenty of effervescence to clean the palate. No oily residue left on the tongue and no overly dry aftertaste. Really the perfect finish on each sip...

As for drinkability - there's no real question. This pilsner may be difficult to find but it's worth the trip. Lunch at Flavor is quite affordable and I've already made a date to go back there in a week (for more Pils) (1,497 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

On tap at Zeitgeist. Highly recommended by Herr Venom... Quaffed 3x outside in their "Biergarten" with axisjones, enjoying a gorgeous Saturday afternoon (28May05).

Poured a smidge cloudy yet still a striking golden color. Slow, sporadic carbonation meandering top-wards. Thin egg-shell white head layering things, though leaving intricate lacing. Lovely aromas of bready malts co-mingling with sharp, spicy hops. Mmmm! Body easily a medium, and fantastically smooth for a Pils. Glides over the tongue. Great taste (less filling!)... Ooops... Yes, great taste. Bready and a tad toasty. A touch dry but with a killer Noble hop spiciness that lasts and lasts while sticking all over the mouth and throat. Sooo quaffable. A top-shelf Pils! Had I closed my eyes I could have thought that I was somewhere in Bavaria or Bohemia.

Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.75
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 5

816 (930 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Kick ass pils. Signature Moonlight massive flavors combine in a 5 second trip of bitter grain and a crunching gush of potent toasty grain flavor. Smooth body, sharply bitter pils bite. Sour mash in the mouth. Lightly salty. Corn nuts.

Sampled at the Boonville Beerfest. (272 characters)

Believe the hype.

Fresh keg, tapped at Zeitgeist in the mission. Bright gold. Goldy gold, the most gold that fucking gold can get in a beer. Perfectly sized and contained head of thick egg cream white foam. Aromas are al that a pils should be, and nothing that a pils shouldn't be. Floral German/US hop varities lend this brew a great aroma of lemon, lime, bread dough, flowers, oranges, and more. The taste is a combination of the aromas but intensified, unified, and perfected. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light with an intense small bubbled carbonation that never let's up lending this brew a perfect drinkability. Insanely drinkable. Refreshing and subtle, yet horribly complex and thought provoking. This is beer. (723 characters)

Reality Czeck from Moonlight Brewing Company