Uncle Svensen - Moonlight Brewing Company

Uncle Svensen
No picture uploaded.

Moonlight Brewing Company visit their website

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nickd717 on 07-09-2010)
Reviews by trygger87:
2.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Had on tap at Monks Kettle in SF CA. Got a pint in a moonlight brewing pint glass, the beer was a very nice hazy golden color with a great very white strong head that slowly bubbled down. The smell was of hay and malts, pretty decent .The taste was of a farm house style beer that had been brewed with cigarette ash and dirt.I was very surprised because i payed 7.00 dollars for a pint of this. The mouth feel was very dry tho there was a haunting after taste of the beer. The drinkability was great, the beer went down super smooth, some thing you could easily pound.If it werent for the weird off taste i would have loved this beer, it looks great and you can pound it no problem but the taste was just too much of an issue for me to look past.

trygger87, Jul 10, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +33.1%

On tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa at about 10am. It was hard to peg exactly what the hell this beer was. The bartender there pegged it as "some kind of Scandinavian beer or something." Figured I'd give it a fair ticker's try.

This hazy golden colored beer is capped by a creamy one-finger head of white foam. Some lacing adorns the glass as this libation is imbibed.

Really, really interesting aroma. Spicy with rye and white pepper, cedar/wood, floral and herbal notes, cereal grains and corn.

The flavor is incredibly peppery and spicy. Rye, and I don't know, I'm not a chef, but maybe rosemary or something. Strong cedar presence as well, almost like a Cigar City beer. Very herbal. Slightly sweet cereal grains and pale malt in the background. Not really any hops as far as I can tell. Isn't this supposed to be hopless? Usually hopless = hopeless, but not in this case.

Dry and tingly on the palate with somewhat lively carbonation. Body is about medium.

Moonlight done did another interesting beer. Others I was with didn't like it, but I enjoyed it all the way to the bottom of the glass.

nickd717, Jul 09, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -28.1%

On tap at Ben 'n' Nick's in Oakland.

A: Comes in a pint glass with no head, so I'm looking at alfrantzell's glass instead. It has a finger of off-white foam with seemingly decent retention. No lace.

S: Very herbal; Arne suggested juniper, while another friend suggested ginseng. I thought it was cedar. I can't pin it down, but it's very noticeable and it lends an impressive enhancement to the smell. Rye bread (and general grains), lightly floral, and some fruitiness that I'd peg as pear.

T: Whatever that weird aroma is, it's found in the taste, and it's very, very strong. Overpowering, in fact. I pick up other components: grain, flowers, and a light fruitiness, but my palate comes back to that herbal / tea-like / tannic presence. It's actually very off-putting in its strength.

M: Light-bodied, but the carbonation on my glass was lacking. The wood (whatever?) flavor started getting excessive after a while. Arne claims his was fine, but I don't trust him. He has a shifty look.

D: I gave up on the glass after a third of it, and had them take it away. A beer I can't finish: automatically a D or lower.

Arbitrator, Jul 11, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 14, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -8%

popery, May 15, 2012
Uncle Svensen from Moonlight Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.