2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Weeks Notice - Moonlight Brewing Company

Two Weeks Notice
No picture uploaded.

Moonlight Brewing Company visit their website

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Arbitrator on 02-14-2011)
View: Beers (25) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 7 | Show All Ratings:
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev -27.8%

Bottle: Poured an amber color ale with a small foamy head with OK retention and some lacing. Aroma of rosemary and thyme is overpowering and almost too much to handle. Taste is also totally dominated by rosemary and thyme notes. Body is about average with good carbonation. Interesting but too much herbs makes this one unbearable after a while.

06-28-2011 18:28:07 | More by Phyl21ca
DoubleJ

3.4/5  rDev -14.8%

On-tap at Beer Revolution, on to the beer:

Cloudy blonde, like the apperance of a hefeweizen. There wasn't much head on top in the first place, and it's gone before you know it. Smells like: an Italian kitchen. Okay, maybe not. More specifially, Italian herbs and spices, like oregano and thyme. I'm starting to get flashbacks of Artemis, another spiced beer with a similar profile.

Tastes like a mix of hefeweizen and Artemis to me. I get some banana moderately spiced with thyme and basil. It's very different and not was I was expecting. But overall, it is workable and easier to approach than its love or hate stablemate. That doesn't mean it's a beer you'd want more than a pint of though.

04-03-2011 06:40:27 | More by DoubleJ
madvermin

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Had on-tap at Bobby G's Pizzeria in Berkeley; it's one of their guest taps so I'd get it soon if possible.

Pours a neon yellow with a healthy finely bubbled foam cap from the initial two-finger head. Cloudy with zero transparency, this is a unique looking beer. Looks like a hefeweizen but with a brighter color, at least to me.

Nose is of oregano, no doubt about it. It's like those packets you get of Italian seasoning with delivered pizza. Some refreshing citrus as well, which aren't from the hops obviously. Grain finishes it off.

Tastes of that Italian seasoning, and oregano in particular, a lot. Fair bit of citrus and healthy amount of wheatiness keep the spice from getting unpleasant. Spice does linger from start to finish, which isn't a bad thing.

Mouthfeel is carbonated and creamy, a great combination here. Can get a little too fizzy for me at times, but overall it remains solid in this category. Drinkability is very good considering the heavy oregano; the checks of citrus and grain do very well. Can't say I've had many beers in this style, but I really enjoyed this one.

04-02-2011 00:06:16 | More by madvermin
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.83/5  rDev -4%

This one was on tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa. A delicious menu with a lot of Moonlights beers on tap.

The appearance on this one is just like a pale ale, or rather his euro lagers. It is a nice light golden-yellow color with a fluffy white head.

It smells pretty interesting and I am actually digging it a lot. It smells a bit like Rosemary, a bit like thyme, but a quote I am going to reuse is this, "Its a sandwich beer!" A nice light malty backbone is represented here, and I think its actually being downplayed by the herbs. The herbs are strong in this one.

I still cannot pinpoint the specific herb that I kept pulling out of this, but its between Thyme, or Basil. Maybe I am wrong, and that is a strong possibility. It is a bit heavier on the mouthfeel and the herbs really take you for a loop. While drinking this I am stuck sitting and tearing the flavors apart.

With all of Moonlights beers I have had, they are crisp and delightful. The flavors bounce on the palate wonderfully, and the carbonation plays perfectly with the beer. Another winner that threw my palate for a loop...

03-06-2011 03:26:30 | More by Jmoore50
massshortage

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

I've seen this on tap a few places in the Bay Area this winter. I'm not sure how difficult it is to find, but I am sure glad that I did find it.

A refreshing change. I believe it is brewed with no hops at all, while substituting other herbs in place. It definitely has rosemary, perhaps lavender?

Two Weeks Notice is hazy and golden. The nose is heavy on rosemary, as is the flavor. I get a hint of lavender too, or is it my imagination? It's on the sweet side, and a bit wheaty and citric. I definitely get the feel of a hefeweizen, but again, no hops.

This is definitely something to try. It is really well crafted; the balance is excellent. But you have to love rosemary, or it may not hold your interest past a few interesting sips.

02-25-2011 00:14:35 | More by massshortage
hophopandaway

United Kingdom (England)

4.7/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer is unique. It has what is a low ABV for an american beer but is packed full of flavour. The nose is rosmary, not oregano, grass and lemons and the taste is pretty much the same. It is incredibly herby and very different from the other beers i tried. The mothefeel is full bodied and I enjoyed this beer very much. No hops (I think) and a hazy blonde lok that is reminicient of a european wheat beer.
Very special.

02-18-2011 06:17:11 | More by hophopandaway
Arbitrator

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

I'm guessing on the availability of this beer. To my knowledge, it was brewed for the first time for SF Beer Week 2011 and was put on tap at the Moonlight event at Bobby G's. I had the opportunity to sample it along with four of Brian's other beers.

A: Pours a cloudy, essentially opaque yellow body. Since I ordered the flight, the head had mostly died by the time they finished pouring all the beers and brought them out to me. Light swirls of off-white foam were left on the beer, with some strands of lace down the sides of the glass.

S: This was... unique. It smelled strongly of oregano. Light scents of lemon rind, grass, and a small amount of banana. But that could be the power of suggestion; the beer looks like a hefeweizen. I later learned, however, that the beer was made with 40% spelt, a type of wheat, so who knows.

T: Once again, oregano. It's not off-putting, but it dominates the flavor. The herbed quality of the beer segues neatly into citrusy lemon characteristics and cracker. It reminds me slightly of a good steam beer.

M: Fairly dry, with a lingering presence of cracker malt. Light-bodied, with low-medium carbonation that leaves some residue on the tongue. Clean flavors.

D: My palate was a little unused to the herbed flavor of the beer; I am conditioned to expect hops as the bittering agent. After about 4oz, I was done with my share, but I didn't regret trying the beer. It's just that the oregano flavor becomes quite strong after a while.

02-14-2011 21:17:04 | More by Arbitrator