Blue Point Blueberry - Blue Point Brewing Company

New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Gavage on 06-22-2004

4.77/5  rDev +31%

This is an excellent beer. I am lucky that I live close to this brewery. This truly is a great beer. The color a nice rich amber. The smell is fresh blueberries with a hint of hops. The light airy head releases a heavenly aroma. The taste is of a good slightly hoppy ale with a strong sweet blueberry finish. Not too cloyingly sweet, excellent with food and on a hot day. A beer the ladies will love. (400 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +29.7%

Im not a huge fan of fruit beers, I do enjoy them from time to time, especially in summer, but BP has hit the mark here wonderfully. Pours a golden light amber color with a bubbly white head that quickly fades to a thin lace. Huge aromas of fresh blueberries hits you immediately. Some faint hoppiness and light malt in the background. The blueberry taste is more subdued than in the smell. The flavor is delicious here, not too sweet and definitely not articificial. Super crisp with a drying finish and pleasant carbonation. I could drink this all year easily, but in summertime its even better. Highly quaffable, try this if you see it, it's been popping up everywhere lately. (679 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +27.5%

My favorite blueberry beer I have ever had. The use of fresh blueberries instead of a syrup helps the beer out a lot. I have had on tap and in a bottle and both are good options. Once while served on tap it was not cold enough and it really hurt the beer's flavor. When it is served cold enough it is very light and refreshing perfect for sipping on a hot summer day. (367 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%

This is my first review.

I have had this beer at the brewery, in a bottle and out of kegs at several bars throughout New York. The first time I had it was out of a keg and I have had that recently so I will review it that way. The first thing that hits me is the smell. There is a nice blueberry scent that is not overpowering. The color of the beer in the glass is also a nice amber. The flavor of the beer is of a medium to light body ale with a nice bit of blueberry. This is a good beer to enjoy in the summer or on other warm nights. It is very drinkable. (561 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't usually go for fruity but this is different it's like a blueberry muffin ! You smell the blueberries but it's a rich bready taste taste with blueberry at the end! Really enjoyed it... not sweet! (203 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%

One of my all time favorive beers! Ale is light and fresh, and crisp and has no bitterness that I normally associate with ales. Not as sweet as I thought it would be but it is a ale after all. The aroma is mostly of fresh berries. Not much blueberry taste in the initial, but possesses a strong blueberry aftertaste. A must try for fans of fruit flavored beer! (360 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

I actually enjoy a good fruit beer every once in awhile. I have fond memories of my first Pyramid Apricot Ale back when I worked in Berkeley.

A- Moderate pour from a botle into Stone 11th anni pint glass. A bright & clear brassy gold color. Good 1 inch white silky foamy head, recedes without any lacing. Leaves a thin cap. Plenty of random streamers throughout.

S- This smells just like rel blueberries to me. Slight hint of biscuit. Not complex, but as advertised.

T- Once again, straight blueberry upfront, maybe not as strong as the nose though. A little more caramel biscuit, but not much more than the nose. No hops, or etoh here.

M- It almost feels creamy ast first, then the crisp carbonation takes over. Light bodied. I don't get any fruit juice resin, or aftertaste.

D- While I am not going to drink this beer, or fruit beers in general, all the time- as far as fruit beers go this one is awesome. So easy to drink, refreshing. Definetly a summer (or end of summer)treat. I'm not including sours or the like in this statement- but I would rate this as one of my favorite fruit beers. I do really like blueberries too, so I may be biased. (1,152 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Reviewed from notes from 3/13/12. 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance-light yellow/golden with white head

Smell-Juicy, fresh blueberries. Also, pick up on sugar

Taste-Right on par with the nose, I get a lot of fresh-blueberry taste through and through in this beer. The profile reminds me of fresh/organic blueberries. This is definitely sessionable and I will pick up throughout the summer and possibly spring too.

Mouthfeel-Well carbonated, light.

Overall-I have been searching for a blueberry beer and have found my match. Got really lucky with this one-since BluePoint is well represented here in upstate NY. Can't wait for warmer days so I can buy again. (679 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Delicious beer. Cracked one open on this super hot day and it went down way too fast. It almost sent me right back to the store to buy a six pack. Nice fresh blueberry taste on a light blonde ale. It's my first time trying a blueberry flavored beer and it did not disappoint. (276 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Truly a solid fruit beer. Beautiful clean look to it with a nice white head. The aroma is of fresh blueberries, the flavor is one to savor with its blueberry introduction and a nice finish. Really take your time with this one.

The colder the better, especially on a hot day. (275 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%

I've had this excellent beer many times on tap and in bottles, but just tried my first growler.

Nice amber color. Decent size head that dissipates slowly. Aroma is fresh blueberries. Taste is blueberries, bready malts and leafy hops... perfectly balanced in my opinion. Lively carbonation. Drinkability is exceptionally high. (327 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

This was the first blueberry ale I've ever tried, and although I don't have any to compare it to, overall, I was pretty impressed with the unique taste and smell which really excited me and piqued my interest about this type of brew... Sweet, profound blueberry taste predominates the palate, and the bottle proclaims it is made with real blueberries, which was encouraging... Definitely worth a try because of its different, unique flavor, would certainly try this again, just because it's so tasty... (502 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

Light red amberish color with a lot of bubbles, smell is very fruity and blueberry-ish, luckily given that it's a blueberry ale.

Taste is excellent, very full fruity flavor but it's not overwhelming or grossly disgusting like some other fruit beers. Nice light character and actually refreshing.

The best fruit beer I've had thus far, I haven't had that many and it's still not a favorite style but kudos to Blue Point for a good and unique ale. (449 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17%

Fruit beers can vary from too sweet or not sweet enough...Blue Point Blueberry is right on the money. It goes down nice and smooth.

It has a pleasant, fresh berry scent. Take it in before your first sip.

In NJ, I have yet to see this available...I tried it at the Ginger Man in NYC and at the brewery itself. A nice light summery beer. (342 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +16.5%

Served out of the bottle into glass, Real cold.

Appearance- Dark cloudy golden color, head disappears quickly. Beautiful color and hue for an ale.

Smell- Real strong blueberry aroma, notice right away when pouring.

Taste- Real smooth strong blueberry taste but not enough to hide the taste of the actual ale. Not even the slightest bit of bitterness, and great after taste that begs for you to drink more.

Mouthfeel- The longer it's in your mouth the more you get the true flavor of the beer. Real strong berry taste, not to carbonated. Perfect combination of flavors. Slight citrus flavor mixed with a real fresh blueberry taste.

Drinkability- Real easy to drink beer, full of flavor. Grab your self a six of this and relax and most of all ENJOY. You won't regret buying. (779 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a golden yellow with a finger of creamy head.

Smells like fresh blueberries but natural and not in an overpowering fashion.

Taste is sweet with blue berries up front with a classic slightly malty golden aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thicker than one would expect from a fruit beer.

Overall a pleasurable fruit beer experience... especially for the warmer months. I can't imagine cracking these in the dead of winter (unless topped by a Guinness for a chocolate-covered blueberry). (528 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.1%

This arrived with a bone-white head with very low retention. The nose was VERY blueberry, evocative of a blueberry field in the summer. The color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was light but effervescent with a refreshing blueberry burst on the palate. The finish had an interesting dryness which made it a good summertime drink. (354 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a mild golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Good presentation. Good color, etc.

Lots of blueberry essence mixed with clove and wheat. Not a surprise here. What I expected.

Ditto on flavor. Blueberry essence is subdued in favor of toasty, sweet malt. Very crisp. I like that the focus is back on the base beer and not just the flavoring.

Lingering blueberry essence and sweet, toasty malt. Very tasty.

I like this! hard to figure out the "best of" but it's not cloying or too artificial. (511 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +14.3%

S: 12 oz bottle poured into a Blanche de Chambly glass

A: Clear, brilliant, and orange-yellow gold. Very slow carbonation, a bubble or two rises slowly to the top. The head is thin.

S: Wow, not complex, but, powerful. Blueberries waft from the glass. In fact, when first poured my girlfriend smelled it sitting far away from the glass.

T: Clear and crisp, it has a bit of malt, nice hop, without to much bitter, and in the finish fresh blueberry.

M: Not heavy, crisp rather than creamy.

D: Light, low in alcohol, with a fresh crisp refreshing taste.

Overall: I'm not sure what to think of beer made with fruit, but, this is one of the better ones. It has a slight fresh blueberry taste that comes in the finish and matches the slight crisp bitter from the hops. The smell is impressive and the taste isn't too sweet because the hops do help to bitter it out a bit. It is a nice spring seasonal. (903 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

holy shit, BEST BREWERY EVER-HANDS DOWN.
been going to this brewery for a few years. you cannot beat it-- must go, must...
about the beer.
top of its class. blueberry is the real flagship, light as can be, great summer beer, 90 degrees at the beach- wasted, best in the 5 gals.
toasted lager harsh but a good harsh, a bit unique, and- i cant remember the others, just go will ya... (381 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

a- nice gold amber color with nice carbonation, about 1-1.5 fingers of white head and good lacing

s-smells of blueberry's and wheat similar to a blueberry muffin

t-nice taste of fresh blueberry upfront and a clean smooth wheat aftertaste with the perfect amount of hops bite

m- good clean feel that is so smooth and refreshing

d- great drinkability, good flavors combination and aromas and a clean smooth taste make this a great beer to drink and enjoy at anytime (470 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

One must experience the aroma of this ale when cap comes off of bottle. Great Spring/Summer beer as it is cool and refreshing. Been reading about combining this ale with either an oat stout or chocolate stout...worth a try for any discerning beer lover. (253 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

A summer indulgence. I sometimes shy away from these fruity beers, but I've brewed these myself from time to time with mixed results and needed a comparison.

I didn't actually see the beer poured and was not in charge of the glassware used because I was seated away from the bar. Upon arrival, I was unsurprised by the light amber color of the beer, this is what I've experienced with other Blueberry fruit beers. I am even convinced it has a slight blue tint, but I may be a bit off, letting my mind play tricks with me. No seriously noticable head, not sure how long it took the server to get it to me from tap to table, still had slight foam around edges.

The smell was remarkable, I even had my wife and a friend check it out because they didn't believe it would actually smell of berries, but it does. The after taste is when the blue berry actually hits you, not as strong as rasberry fruits, but definitely noticable and pleasing. Slightly dry hop finish.

Medium mouthfeel would be my description. A bit heavier than an average light summer beer, since the use of a dark pulpy fruit will do that to the beer's texture.

Nice after dinner beer, which is when I had it sitting on a rooftop over looking a sleepy little port on Long Island. I would recommend anyone to try one, including myself, which is why I had two. (1,334 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Golden with a moderately thin white head.

Smell: Blueberry pancakes. Absolutely fantastic smell for a fruit beer.

Taste: Delicious mix of malt and light fruit. Not overpowering or cough-syrrupy like may fruit beers. Slightly toasty and bready malts make for a great taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Thoroughly drinkable. (351 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

This poured a nice amber with a slight head that lingered for some time, smell was of fresh blueberries, quite nice. Flavor also is of fresh blueberries, Not overbearing, very subtle but present. Finishes clean and refreshing, a very drinkable beer this is.

Great summer brew. Hits the spot on a hot day. (305 characters)

Blue Point Blueberry from Blue Point Brewing Company