Blue Point Blueberry - Blue Point Brewing Company

good

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Gavage on 06-22-2004)
2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

I spent the weekend down in NYC this past weekend and snagged this at a local market. The beer pours a reddish and golden amber color, with excellent clarity and very little head. The sweetness of the blueberry is clear right off the bat. There is definitely a blueberry taste but more disappointing and there is a mixture with the blueberry that simply just doesn't make this beer as good as it could be. (Boston beer works Blueberry, or Watchusett Blueberry Ales would be my pick over this). It it relatively easy to drink - very light but not as smooth as it could be. It's not a bad blueberry beer, but it's not a good blueberry beer either.

Jayli, Sep 03, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Moderately soapy head. Nearly opaque golden brown color.

Smell - Malt and fresh blueberries.

Taste - Similar to smell with a bit of twang. Orangey fruit in background. Has almost a breakfast cereal taste; Fruity Pebbles, Trix, Lucky Charms, Smurf Berry Crunch . . .

Mouthfeel - Superb with a nice hop dryness in the finish.

Drinkability - Very good.

A little more spice and hop complexity could have made this a true winner.

Chinon01, Aug 13, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -25.1%

smels good, tastes bad, their is just a hint of blueberry at the end of harsh corn, way to damm carbonated and intantley gave me hart burn. this is the worst blueberry ale that i have ever had. i gave half of this to my roommate because it was so bad, he will drink anything.

orcasteve, Aug 12, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours Amber with a half inch head and a thin lace.
The aroma is simply blueberries and malt hints.
The taste is herbs,light malts and blueberry.
The feel is light,crisp and highly carbonated with some carbo sizzle.

Notes: Not much to say,bought this with a purpose and ended up having it myself. I really do not like fruit/vegetable beers,but this was good. Some high carbonation was not good for the score.
I will not buy this ever again,but only because I do not prefer the style.
Yet,for the style it was good.

Lexluthor33, Aug 05, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +36.8%

This is an excellent beer. I am lucky that I live close to this brewery. This truly is a great beer. The color a nice rich amber. The smell is fresh blueberries with a hint of hops. The light airy head releases a heavenly aroma. The taste is of a good slightly hoppy ale with a strong sweet blueberry finish. Not too cloyingly sweet, excellent with food and on a hot day. A beer the ladies will love.

NoahSYGG, Jul 28, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

I poured this into a pint glass. The beer was slightly chilled from being in the fridge but not too cold.

Appearance is an amber red, slightly clear. The head disappears fast at first but took about 3-4 minutes to be completely gone. Very nice color and hue.

Smell - has a distinct berry smell with a bit of citrus undertone.

Taste - At first sip there is a bit of a herbal taste, followed by delayed hint of blueberry and a touch of tartness. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel - This is a thin beer, but with a slight swish in the mouth it becomes highly carbonated. This really made me open my eyes because of the intense berry flavors that immediately comes through. I easily missed this the first time I had the beer, but this completely opened my eyes to the great flavors hidden.

Drinkability - This is a very drinkable beer. I'm usually not a fan of high carbonation, but this allows one to savor the intense beer taste if you let the beer sit in your mouth. An easy beer to sip slowly and enjoy or to kick back a sixer with friends.

TheRogue, Jul 25, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Clear gold, topped with a fluffy, dense white head. Good lacework and head retention.
Smells of blueberry as I pour it into a glass, naturally, but other beery qualities come through. Blueberry is present, but doesn't dominate. Light, pale maltiness, estery ale fruitiness and subdued floral hops. Pretty clean overall.
A nice, light golden ale flavor, with a blueberry background. Crisp, pale, toasty malt with minimal ale fruitiness, moving quickly into a lightly hopped, blueberry tinted finish. Good balance, not cloying, or even what I'd call sweet. Light overall, great for capping off a hot day at work.
If you're looking for a fruit beer, this is a really good one.

UnionMade, Jul 15, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

Draught: This one pours a fairly clear, somewhat orangish color. There was a small white head on it that didn't linger too long. The aroma is definitely blueberries, but not overpoweringly so. Even still, not too much else rose above the blueberries. The taste is good. Blueberry flavor, but not overly done at all. A nice lighter bodied beer behind it. Nice.

Boto, Jul 10, 2008

After a hard pour, the head filled the air with the smell of blueberries. The head quickly went away leaving the light amber colored fluid.

It smells more fruity then it tastes. You can taste the fruit but is very light. It doesn't overpower the beer. But now that I have about 2 ounces left in my glass, it is also tasting a bit on the flat side.I see almost no bubbles rising in my glass. even a qucik swirling of the beer delivers a flat looking beer.

The ber is light and refreshing without being overly sweet like the Wild Blue Blueberry beer by Anheuser-Busch.

I think it the carbonation was not such a problem then I would give it higher marks.

JMBSH, Jun 01, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Poured a medium rusty orange with a thin creamy white head that settled soon after the pour.

S: The nose was fruity with sugary sweet blue berries and not much else.

T: The initial flavor was dominant blueberries with a light malt sweetness rounding things out. Not much else. Finishes semi-dry with a light tartness and light citrus notes.

M: creamy, light in body and softly carbonated.

D: Ok drinkability, mellow and not overpowering like many other fruit beers, but still nothing I would seek out or have seconds.

beerthulhu, May 24, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear golden auburn colored body with a very slight blueish tone to a sticky thin white head. There is a strong carbonation of big bubbles that try to keep the head going.

S- This beer has the strong smell of a sugary blueberry cereal followed by a soft lightly toasted malt sweetness.

T- The blueberry flavor is present but softer than the smell but it does increase as the beer warms. There is a dry club soda note to follow and then a soft lightly toasted malt and dry field corn finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight little fizz finish.

D- The odd little beer that made me go to the grocery and by a bag of cheap blueberry cereal. None of the flavor were offensive but I think one of these is enough for a while.

rhoadsrage, May 15, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance: Golden with a moderately thin white head.

Smell: Blueberry pancakes. Absolutely fantastic smell for a fruit beer.

Taste: Delicious mix of malt and light fruit. Not overpowering or cough-syrrupy like may fruit beers. Slightly toasty and bready malts make for a great taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Thoroughly drinkable.

BWMKappaSig, May 13, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a nice amber color with a white head that laces the glass pretty nicely on the way down. It ha s anice aroma of blueberry flavoring and some sweet malts. The taste is the same. Nice sweet toasted malts underneath a big blueberry flavoring and a nice slightly hoppy finish. Overall a nice blueberry flavor for a beer, not too overpowering, but nice and refreshing. The mouthfeel was crisp and refreshing. This made for a nicely drinkable beer. Definately worth a try and one of the better blueberry beers out there.

erosier, May 04, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

A-While pouring the beer looks to have a definate bluish-purle hue. Once in the glass a more amber body takes over with bluish notes. A small white head with some good lacing left.

S-Smelled like sweet blueberries and grain...like sniffing over a stack of buckwheat pancakes with blueberry syrup!

T-Bittersweet blueberries with a nice support from the biscuity malt. This is not overpowering blueberries...but strong for sure.

M-Medium-light body with a bit of stickiness.

D-I find this brew to be quite nice...WAY better than Sea Dog Blueberry (which to me tastes fake)...but not quite as solid as Bar Harbor Blueberry...certainly worthy of a bottle here and there.

Deuane, Apr 13, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this on a whim, big fan of blueberries.

Poured an light amber-red with a finger of almost pink, fluffy head.

Smelled like blueberries, a bit of malt.

Tasted like fresh blueberries with a faint hint of hop, aftertaste was a tiny bit bitter, which seemed an odd change to me.

Mouthfeel was only a bit bubbly, not alot of carbonation at all. Very light in weight.

Drinkability is average. I love blueberries but due to the splash of bitter aftertaste I can't drink alot. If the aftertaste was a bit sour, like the fruit, I think I'd like it better. Not a bad bet though.

LumpyGuitar, Apr 04, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +24.8%

I've had this excellent beer many times on tap and in bottles, but just tried my first growler.

Nice amber color. Decent size head that dissipates slowly. Aroma is fresh blueberries. Taste is blueberries, bready malts and leafy hops... perfectly balanced in my opinion. Lively carbonation. Drinkability is exceptionally high.

turdburglar, Mar 14, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass.

This beer was aquired as part of a trade with my pal Hyland24. I have to say, when it comes to fruit beer/ales, I'm a bit old school. When I want beer, I drink beer, when I want fruit I eat fruit. I'm generally not a big fruit infused beer drinker. This one was a bit of a plesant suprise.

A - Poured a cloudy amber color, with slight peach colored hues. Almost the head was white and almost nonexistant. There was very little in the way of carbonation or lacing.

S - Sweet blue berry aroma through out. Very light hints of yeast.

T - Suprisingly crisp and refreshing. Sort of like drinking a blueberry muffin, but in a good way. Finished with a slightly hoppy taste. The flavor was a bit bland and could have been a little more complex, but over all not too bad.

MF&D - Very thin bodied as far as ales go. A decent thirst quencher. Definatly not my everyday beer, but I could see myself drinking this at the beach or sessioning it at a summer BBQ.

nasty15108, Mar 13, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -17.4%

Our group thought this was not bad for a blueberry ale, and in fact some thought it was the best they'd had. Its main advantage is a drier taste than the sweet nose suggests. But it's also not bursting with flavor. Worth noting that our fruit-beer sympathizers, especially the women, predictably liked this more than the stout-heads.

Overall average: 3.0

lvbs, Feb 29, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Picked up a growler of this when I checked out the brewery about a month ago. The visit did not leave me with a good taste in my mouth; they were charging some big bucks ($3) just for a TASTING!!!

A: Pours a light amber body with bluish notes. Kind of looked like the inside of a blueberry. A small, white head with some good lacing along the top of the beer and along the sides of the glass.

S: Smelled like sweet blueberries. Reminded me a lot of blueberry Eggo waffles.

T: First taste what that of some bitter blueberries, but afterwards it smoothed out and became a little sweeter. Definitely a strong blueberry aftertaste as well.

M: Mouthfeel was a little watery and thin. Could have been carbonated a little bit more.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer. Tastes pretty good, but the mouthfeel could have used a little work. Excellent example of a fruit beer ad I felt, out of the growler from the brewery, it may have been a little young, but it was excellent and I could not drink it fast enough!

maddogruss, Feb 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +23.4%

Light red amberish color with a lot of bubbles, smell is very fruity and blueberry-ish, luckily given that it's a blueberry ale.

Taste is excellent, very full fruity flavor but it's not overwhelming or grossly disgusting like some other fruit beers. Nice light character and actually refreshing.

The best fruit beer I've had thus far, I haven't had that many and it's still not a favorite style but kudos to Blue Point for a good and unique ale.

TheDeuce, Feb 16, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

The beer pours an amber color with a 1/2" white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice pale malt and blueberry aroma. It's light and loaded with a natural blueberry scent, not an artificial extract. The taste is good as well. This is one of the better blueberry beers on the market. It's got a decent malt taste, but the flavor is mainly blueberries. It goes down easy and refreshes in the finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a very easy drinking beer. I love the fruit flavor in this one. It's got good malt flavor as opposed to those wanna be beers that are all pilsner malt and fruit extract.

WesWes, Feb 13, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer wasn't half bad. I was lucky enough to get ahold of some on a recent trip to Long Island (I heard there was a brewery there and I couldn't help but go on a beer hunt). When I opened the growler I thought someone just pulled out a pan of blueberry muffins. It pours an orange-copper color with not much head and no lacing. Tastes like a pop-tart (in a good way). Very easy going down. My girlfriend's mom actually brought me back a sixer from a recent trip she made, and needless to say I was grateful.

Granted, there are far better beers out there, but this one was pretty enjoyable.

McDiddyPop, Feb 12, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a very pretty reddish and golden amber color, with excellent clarity and very little head. The nose is simple and straightforward blueberry, with a definite sweet underpinning. On the palate, smooth Vienna malts make the base, showing off some buttery notes, but the main flavor is blueberry that lasts from the mid-palate to the finish. The finish is surprisingly dry considering the fruitiness on display here. Mouthfeel is fairly brisk and acidic, with little in the way of maltiness. Overall, a decent fruit beer, but both too simple and not lazily smooth enough to really hold my interest.

geexploitation, Feb 08, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +32.5%

This is my first review.

I have had this beer at the brewery, in a bottle and out of kegs at several bars throughout New York. The first time I had it was out of a keg and I have had that recently so I will review it that way. The first thing that hits me is the smell. There is a nice blueberry scent that is not overpowering. The color of the beer in the glass is also a nice amber. The flavor of the beer is of a medium to light body ale with a nice bit of blueberry. This is a good beer to enjoy in the summer or on other warm nights. It is very drinkable.

Mortekai, Feb 02, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is arusty copper with a berry hue and ok carbonation. The head is small white and leaves very little lace.

The smell is sweet blueberries like a blueberry syrup.

The taste follows, lots of sweet blueberry with some hops as a grasp for balance. Not bad as this is what I would expect.

The mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Less then medium body.

The drinkability is ok for what it is, but not something I would reach for. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jan 20, 2008