Blue Point Toasted Lager - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Point Toasted Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 440 | Hads: 1,417
4.92/5  rDev +39%

I tried this beer a while back but had forgotten to review it. So today while in my favorite beertique I bought 2 6 packs of the Toasted Lager and two of the Octoberfest. These beers are the only Blue Point brews I have ever tried. But after thoroughly enjoying the Toasted Lager I have suggested it to many friends and will continue to do so (342 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +37%

Has an amber color and tastes of caramel. Smooth easy drinking and especially good on a spring day.

Had this beer on tap this weekend at Belmont Park in the Paddock Tent. As close to tasting as Sam Adams Boston Lager. Could not distinguish the difference between the two beers. An excellent micro-brew from Long Island New York. Would recommend it most highly. (361 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +36.7%

If you like Yuengling you will love this beer. And you'll never touch that beer again. Where Yuengling lacks Toasted makes up the toasted hops make for a great finish and little to no after taste. This beer is the Ideal pizza beer. this beer is my go to beer. I hope every one everyone enjoys this beer as much as I do. (319 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +31.4%

On tap at a friend's house this afternoon - Wow, did not see this one coming.

Good amber color, visible carbonation, healthy 2F head, with only some faint lacing.

Overall smell was rich and bready maltiness, with some light bitter hop quality.

Wow, this is good - Don't believe I've had a better amber lager. Mouthful of fresh 7-grain bread, caramel sweetness, and a decently hoppy bite to balance this right down the middle.

Buttery smooth, with just enough carbonated bite to keep it refreshing and encouraging of more, more, more.

With that flavor and mouthfeel, this rates huge in my book of drinkability. This is far from my favorite style, but this one now sits at the top. (685 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +27.7%

I got this beer in DC when searching for beers for some non-beer-drinking friends. Listening to one's tastes (Heineken and Yuengling) I knew I was shooting for a lager and knew the Full Sail Session was what I wanted, but of the 200+ beers available, that wasn't. I took a chance with the Toasted Lager.

Although I only drank a small amount, I was very surprised by the more neutral smell compared to many. S= It has a round, unoffensive, oaty or grainy subltly sweet nose. Appearance probably not something that matters for this beer. M= The mouthfeel is damn near refreshing, a very difficult attainment indeed. It falls in the short list of beers I would drink when thirsty if nothing but beer is available. The carb/beer ratio seems perfect, better than session. T= The taste is fantastic. I found it less sweet and breadier than the Session which had a little bit too much spicy sweetness, and slightly sweeter than yuengling without the more raunchy notes. My friend described it as a perfect heineken without the "gnarly" and "funky" flavors. D= Drinkability is outlandish and I would say I rank it at the top of beer to drink for extensive time without trying to get wrecked.

I hadn't seen the beer before but I do know the store, so presumably it was fairly fresh.

I'd like to point out there's no highly rated lager, period, which is strange because frankly some people prefer lager. Although I'm an ale man myself, I really do find this a fantastic beer and by far the most enjoyable lager I've had, and am looking forward to drinking it again. (1,558 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +27.7%

Although I know that my judgement of this beer is slightly biast, because I live nearby the brewery, I still think that this is one of the better beers that I have tasted. Although, I must agree that I have had it in the bottle , purchased at a local store, and it was not as good as the fresh distinct taste on tap at the brewery. The toasted flavor is distinct and original, at least to me and I can drink it all night and not get tired of it. (445 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

had at a Hooters in Norfolk, VA
Review is from notes

A- Head is thick at first but disappears quickly. Golden dark wheat color with good lacing down the glass as you drink.

S- Wheat and sweet citrus aroma. Just a touch of toasted hops in there too.

T- Creamy wheat and light citrus. Hops leave a tiny bit of bitterness on the end but not overpowering.

M- Creamy medium body and smooth finish.

O- This one goes down really quick and easy. I thought it was an excellant beer. (479 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tasted on-tap 02/17/07 at Park Slope Ale House in Brooklyn, NY.

Dark gold with a nice off-white head. Distinct biscuity, bready, nutty aroma and flavor. A very nice use of malts to give it a unique character. Medium-light bodied and refreshing with a dry grainy finish. Very sessionable.

One of the best American Lagers I've had in a long time... seek this one out.

Per BP website: 6 diff malts: English Pale, Crystal, Munich, Carapils, Wheat and Belgian Caravienna. The "toasted" part refers to our direct-fire brew kettle’s hot flames that impart a toasted flavor.
1.054 OG
28 IBUs
5.3 % ABV (606 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tall glass mug. The liquid is a dark amber with very good carbonation. The Head it a tall 3 fingers, white with a rocky surface and it leaves just a small bit of lace.

The smell is faint, but suggests a sweet dark bread.

The taste is quite alive and extremely good. Wow, Red lager works for me but I sure with more Oktober Feast brews tasted this good. Slightly sweet, bready, and very nicely toasted.

The mouth feel is right on. This beer just fits right. Great carbonation medium body, very good indeed.

The drinkability is excellent, I will be buying more of this great beer.
prosit und Zun Wohl. MK (648 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +23.2%

A: nice golden amber color wiht a frothy toasty finish

S: A great burst of Hops with a true bread like toasty smell

T: Rich and full flavored...as if i were toasting some campfires right over the open flames
M: Tasty, fullness with a smoooth aftertaste
D: This is a great beer, will buy again. A superb beer with a truly original taste and feel (346 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +22.9%

A 12 oz bottle purchased at Thirsty's in York, PA.

A: The lager is a calm, clear brilliant amber red color. The only carbonation activity is from the notch in the bottom of the Chimay glass. The head is thin but leaves a thick ring of lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is toasted grain, thick and breadlike with a strong biscuity body.

T: Ah! A delicious, malty lager. I find them so few and far between (especially in my cellar). It really is a shame because a good lager is very hard to beat. Here the flavor is very strong on the malts. They are biscuity, like chewing on a fresh baguette, with some nutty undertones that accentuate the tight dry flavor. The malts are highlighted by a bit of hoppy bitteress but those malts are the scene stealer here.

M: Chewy with a pleasing bread-like finish, these malts are not afraid to be bold.

D: At 5.3%, this is a beer that I could easily pound in the middle of the summer or on the coldest darkest winter night. (973 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +22%

Ok, so I'm lucky enough to have a job that takes me near blue point to the brickhouse brewery in Patchogue LI. I look forward to it every month.

While i'm there, I usually pick up two growlers, one is always this brew. It's been my hands down favorite beer, and is probably the only constant in my beer fridge.

A- Dark golden color. Looks like a beer should look. From the growler, it pours with nearly 0 head into a traditional pint glass. This is not what I get from a 12oz bottle, but that's ok, I don't need a visible head to enjoy it.

S- bready, malty, toasty smells. Kind of nutty.

T- Tastes like it smells, and has a wonderful toasted aftertaste. This beer seems to get better when it warms slightly. More of the toasted flavors are revealed when I let it stand for 5 mins before drinking.

M- Not too thin, not too thick. Nice balanced carbonation. Might have more carbonation in the bottle, but I don't think so this time. Weird since theirs no head.

D- I could (and probably will) kill this entire growler in one sitting. I crave the taste this beer has, so the only thing slowing me down when drinking it, is savoring the taste. I can't beleive this beer is not rated higher.

Summary: this is a great example of a beer that deviates from the norm, but not so far as to alienate people that like the normal (IE: boring macro) stuff. Has no "macro" style taste, but IMO can be enjoyed by people that have only experience macro's thus far.

As I said before, this is one of my all time fav's, and I can't recommend it enough! (1,547 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +21.5%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A - Amber color with one finger of white head that quickly collapses but laces well on the way down.

S - Earthy, spicy hops, as well as toast, biscuit, praline, and oddly, chocolate.

T - Biscuity malts, with hints of toast, nut, and toffee. Subtle bitterness balances the malt, but doesn't steal the show. It's really weird, but I'm still getting a taste of chocolate. The moderate-length finish is balanced between herbal hops and bready malt.

M - Low carbonation, peppery and yet smooth.

D - A very enjoyable beer from start to finish. Who says lagers are boring? (609 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

Wow, I loved this lager. It poured a dark blonde basically a light brown with a foamy tan head. The aroma is initially sour musty with a sweet fruity background followed by a oaky vanilla flavor. The taste is fantastic, caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, sugar cookies are all upfront with a pungent spicy lemon citrus background for balance. This is a playful lager that tantalizes the palate with sweet and funky notes. (417 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

Gorgeous, clear amber in the glass with a nice foamy head and bubbles climbing up the sides. Malt (a toasted-like scent, really) in the nose with the same in the initial taste. Nicely balanced fruity/bitter hops and a touch of sweetness that brings the whole beer together. The "toasty" flavor is apparent and, actually, quite unique and flavorful. All in all, a very good beer and one that could be enjoyed over and over again. Very smooth and drinkable. Serve this to your macro-loving friends when you're introducing them to micros. They'll be hooked. (554 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

Blue Point Brewing Company is a great brewery, almost all their beers are top notch. The Toasted Lager is my favorite. Nice lager taste and color. Very refreshing, any time of year. A great hop'py bite, right there for you to taste, but not overpowering at all. A great beer to have when you plan to have 12 or so, not filling at all. Love it. (343 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +18.9%

A- Light amber with a beautiful thick tannish head and equisite laceing.

S- Quite floral with some bready undertones.

T- Quite a satifying brew. More bread and toast with a nice malty taste but not overdone.

M- Crisp but at the same time it feels light and soft in the mouth.

D- A solid brew for its style. Good session beer. (329 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

I sometimes wish my local watering hole served burgers, because a burger and a plate of fries would be perfect with Blue Point Toasted Lager.

Pours a great color into a pint glass, smooth and creamy on the tongue, with a nice toasted flavor. Definitely a beer I could drink more than one of, and generally one I would choose over other lagers on tap. (351 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +18.1%

A: Pours a copper color with frothy white head that sticks around a while.

S: Slight aroma of toasted grain with a definite fruity note thrown in.

T: Delicious toasted grain/bready flavor up front with a kiss of floral hops in the end.

O: This is one fine Vienna Lager, probably the best American version I have had. (319 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +18.1%

appearance: amberish apprearnce, nice lingering head.

smell: toasty malts, some caramel

taste: love that toasty malt flavor. not much hop appeal to this beer.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: New to Jax. had at Engine 15 at their tapping party. nice beer... If I were a person that rates to style this would be an A+ (326 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +17.8%

New York State, boyeee! The home of the Yankees, Mets, and obscene gun laws.

Appearance (3.75) : Beige three fingered head, pillowy and large. The body is a toasted pecan color. 50% opacity.

Aroma (4.25) : Mild hop, toasted pecan, rolled oatmeal, milled grain, faint hint of maple sap. It actually reminds me of Minnesota. A great bouquet, medium strength, I'm giving this a 4.25.

Taste (4.25) : Wow. Can I say it again? Wow. This lager is fantastic. The slightly sour malt and hop hit unmistakeably at first, but what follows is a slight dark toast/roasted pecan flavor that sets in like a delicacy. It's like I ate a miniature pecan pie or something. Some faint hop left drying on the palate, but the pecan and nut flavors overwhelm it making it a nice finish.

Extra note : there's a slight antiseptic/paint flavor to it floating in there somewhere, I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's just the alcohol fermentation of the yeast. The more I drink it, it disappears (so does the beer, unfortunately).

Mouthfeel (4) : Zippy, then creamy, then roasted and dry. Light bodied within spec. Better than average for lagers. I'm giving it a 4.

Overall (4.17) : I wish they sold this here. 302BeerGuy traded me this one and so far it's probably the most impressive lager I've tried outside of the midwest area. I really enjoy it, it's a fire-side, late night, cozy lager for sure. (1,385 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +17.5%

This was the first Blue Point Beer I tried, as I am sure is the same with the rest of you. This is a great beer, although when I go to th brewery I generally stick to the Oatmeal Stout, Crop Circle and Hoptical Illusion!!!! The Toasted lager is a great introductory beer to the Blue Point Brewery, where you can see the incredile ingredients they use and maybe it will tempt you enough to visit them! If you are ever on Long Island you gotta give them a visit...maybe you will see me there :) (492 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

This is Toasted Lager, one of Long Island's signature brews. I have been drinking this for a good decade and am glad to finally be reviewing it in growler form, in which it decisively outperforms the bottle. This was Blue Point's first flagship beer and has long been solid.

Starts with a dark golden color, medium cream head and chocolate malts in the nose. There is a lot of flavor and surprising balance. The texture is crisp and refreshing but still strong enough. Lots of bready malts accompanying a surpisingly sturdy hop presence and a nutty finish. Overall this has always been a good "comfort" beer in the bars of Long Island (635 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +16.4%

Medium amber look to it, slight ring of head.

Smell is light, described like the beer: toasted. Also some nutty smell to it as well.

The beer came out of the tap ice cold. The taste is light and a bit caramel-y when going down and sitting in my mouth, but the after-taste, enhanced by the cold temperature, was sharp and lingering. Tasted great to me. (357 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear amber with about a finger and a half of brownish foamy head and some nice lacing.

The smell is at first hoppy with a really nice earthy feel. The malts come through to give me some anticipation of good things to come.

The taste is sweet, giving me a rush I wasn't expecting. It has some nice toasty flavor but is just slight with a fizzy bready feel.

The feel of this beer is quite crisp. If feels as though you are breaking into this beer and stealing a sip. I was quite impressed by how nice the finish really was. It felt so professional and that counts for something. It is really refreshing and easy going down. A good brew. (700 characters)

Blue Point Toasted Lager from Blue Point Brewing Company