Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Blue Point Toasted Lager - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Toasted LagerBlue Point Toasted Lager

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Point Toasted Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 441 | Hads: 1,440
2.31/5  rDev -34.6%

Blue Point Toasted Lager pours a deep gold. Its bright white head has decent retention.

Its aroma is slight, but has toasted barley notes and hints of pine from the hops.

The taste is extremely disjointed and goes from one extreme to another. It begins with similar toasted barley notes as the nose. The middle of the palate gives a quick glimpse of hoppy bitterness, before any inkling of intensity is washed away. The finish is faint but mostly consists of light bread notes.

Its mouthfeel is medium light, with a smaller than average amount of carbonation for the style.

Overall, the beer is fairly sessionable. Seems like the perfect beer for a drinker entering craft beer.

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass with a quarter inch white head. I was amber in color.

Very little in the nose. Even as the beer warmed it didn't become more fragrant.

Moderate carbonation with a watery mouthfeel.

Nice sweetness on the front palate. Toasted barley flavors. Slight tast of honey with a nice crispness.

This was a tough beer for me to review. It just didn't do much for me.

2.43/5  rDev -31.2%

I am a huge fan of Blue Points "hoptical illusion" and was up for something new so I decided to pick up a growler of Blue Point Toasted Lager. I enjoy a smokey tasting beer from time to time.

I'd have to say that I was not overly impressed on my initial taste, it seemed to be pretty avarage in taste, which was a disappointment. There was a subtle smokey taste to the beer nothing too strong. The killer though was the after taste that this beer left in my mouth. My girlfriend summed it up perfectly when she said she felt like she had drank out of an ash tray. A really unpleasent after taste to say the least. And for the first time in my life I didn't even finish the whole growler. I was trying to fight my way to the bottom as I hate to waste beer, but I could just not do it, and I ended up pooring out about 1/3 or the bottle.

I will never pick this one up again. A total bummer!

2.46/5  rDev -30.3%

Served as a sample from the tap. Overall good nose for the style. Very bready, sweet nose.

Nice look just like any lager

Mouthfeel and taste was true to the style I suppose. Not much better than say a yuengling in my opinion. Probably not a bad session beer in the long run over normal BMC taps.

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tried this beer from a mixed 6 and I must say that it was okay. The main thing I notice about this beer is a slight after taste. I would probably try it again as a draft beer to see if there is a major difference.

2.52/5  rDev -28.6%

Bought 6 pack at Traders Joe. Pours amber with a huge long lasting white head. Aroma of grassy hops and light toasted malt. Tastes lemony hops at the beginning with a dry spicy hop finish. Malt character is very muted for Vienna. Would be not bad for the half the price I paid.

2.55/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finger of head with light lacing. Aroma is barely evident. Light toasted malts and caramels. Taste is the same as it smells...barely evident. Reminds me of a mass produced light beer. Not quite as bad, but for the price and the fact that it won a Gold Medal at the World Beer Cup makes me believe that it was either the only entry in its category or the judges doused their lunch with Siracha.

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

what's the difference between an american amber lager and a vienna...hops?

smells a little toasty and grainy. besides that, the beer doesn't smell like all that much

definitely tastes grainy (and a little toasty). cascadey flavoring with a minty hop element, though noblish. nondescript malt contribution: nutty? toasty? there's not much there, so i have trouble identifying separate elements

quaffable, certainly. but how good?

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

This lager has a pretty clear, amber body with tiny particles floating about. The small white head fades quickly. The aroma is lightly hoppy. The flavor is lightly bitter and the body is light, a bit watery and leaves a slightly chalky feeling in the mouth. I didn't really detect anything toasted or any malt for that matter. Pretty ordinary.
(rated Feb 13, 2007)

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured this beer from a cold 12 oz. bottle into a lager glass.

Appearance: Light brown with some tones of copper, good aeration and 1 finger of head.
Aroma: Malts and barley all the way!
Taste: Strong taste of toasted malts (not surprising considering the name of the beer) and some barley. Very light taste of hops in the background.
Mouthfeel: Some lingering bitterness, but nothing to complain about.
Bottom line: Probably won't buy this beer again after I finish this 6-pack...would be willing to try some of their others though.

2.64/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a bright copper color with one finger of bubbly white head.

Not much of a scent, it is faintly sweet.

The taste is of toasted grains, a little sweet, buttery, and light hops.

Light bodied, smooth and kind of oily, low carbonation.

This was pretty easy going down, the flavor was ok, not a lot going on here. Overall it's not something I would buy again.

2.65/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: Gold to copper. Nice and clear, a job well done. Nice head befitting of lager, leaves half a finger until the last drop.

Smell: What can I say? Not impressed at all, in fact I would bet good money this fermented a few degrees higher than it should have due to the rather unclean, ester smell. I would expect a little toastier aroma from the munich malt they likely used.

Taste: Okay, pretty bland. Nothing exciting happening with the flavor, almost tastes like PBR with more body and less metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel: Not as clean and light as I normally enjoy in a lager.

Drinkability: Well, it is a lager after all.

Overall this beer is pretty sub par for what I'd expect from Blue Point from what I keep hearing, but this is my first experience. Given the aroma you can just tell this beer doesn't fit the high technical standards of a premium lager. Probably a contract brew.

2.66/5  rDev -24.6%

While this is exactly without an aroma it is low enough in intensity that if it were a fart no one could pinpoint the origin enough to lay blame on any one person. Vaguely hoppy is all I can say. Tea colored..thin filmy white head. Slight metallic tinge in the fore yields to a fairly toasty (hey like the name) grain flavor with mild hop notes and a tinge of sweetness.

2.66/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Slightly cloudy deep golden with a thick white head

S: Slight hint of woodiness, nice barley notes. Descent hop aroma as well

T: Very prevelant hop-fruitiness, some bread notes, mild bitterness. Also, mild carbonation and a very short finish make this extremely drinkable

M: Light

O: Honestly, this is just okay. I was hoping for a fuller style of lager with this beer, but it just didn't meet that expectation. I would, however, recommend this brew for a newcomer to the beer world, as it is highly drinkable

2.67/5  rDev -24.4%

This beer had little to no head and was a golden beer a little darker than your standard beers. It had no scent or aroma that stood out, it's mouthfeel was unremarkable. If you just want a beer to drink for beer's sake this beer may be for you. But it was really unimpressive. The toasted larger name set my expectations higher than what they should have been. It is a drinkable beer that i might have enjoyed a lot more in my college years before I developed my beer palate.

2.7/5  rDev -23.5%

Meh. Too much of an emphasis on the "toasted" for my liking. Not bad, but I wouldn't order it again unless it's either this or the typical domestic AAL.

2.71/5  rDev -23.2%

Blue Point- Toasted Lager

Appearance- golden brown with a thin light lacing head.
Smell- Light toasted bread. Grains, sunflower seed, oats, and wheat.
Taste- Again lightly toasted bread. Hints of seseme and sunflower. Slight metallic bitterness in the end.
Mouthfeel- Bready malt up front but astringent in the end. Metallic bitter aftertaste.

Overall- Maybe a little past its prime? Probably better right off tap. Otherwise nothing special here.

2.72/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a two-fingered cream head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Clear amber color. Weak malty/hoppy nose. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Starts sweet but hops dominate finish. Moderately bitter after taste. $1.95 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color lager with a n average size foamy head with OK retention. Aroma of light dry cereal notes with some lingering sweetness. Taste is also a mix between some dry generic cereal notes with light lingering sweetness. Body has a somewhat oily texture with medium carbonation. I can’t say I really cared about this one.

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

12oz bottle purchased as a single from Julio's, Marlboro, MA, I think. Notched best by March 06.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" beige head over the clear amber brew. Head deflates rather quickly, down to about half height, with bits of lacing here and there. Aroma is somewhat generically well balanced with light malt and hops presences. Taste is balanced as well, with a bit somewhat sour fruitiness. Mouthfeel is average, and drinkability is limited by that sourness. Not a favorite here.

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a light shade of orange, excellent clarity. Mediocre head that doesn't stick around.

Aroma is pretty weak; just a bit of toasted grain but by no means living up to its name. A bit buttery as well, kind of off putting.

Mouthfeel is slick and grainy. Not a lot of flavor in the taste. No easily distinguished "toasted" notes. Unpleasant bitter aftertaste. Seems a bit heavier than it should be though overall it is drinkable.

Nothing to see here folks. Heck I'd rather have a Yuengling.

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a thin white head that recedes quickly.

S: Very muted aromas of grass, caramel, and grain take some time to express themselves on the nose. I'm not really picking up any toasted aromas at all.

T: Faint notes of caramel, biscuit, minerals, grass, straw, and grain wash across the palate. The finish is clipped and dry, offering fleeting impressions of grain and grass.

M: On the lighter side of medium in body and dry. Carbonation is slightly more delicate than I was expecting.

O: I'm not really impressed with this lager. I find it to be lacking in terms of aroma and flavor. I doubt I would have it again.

2.76/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours an amber red color with a finger head. Head doesn't last long, lacing is present.

S - Not quite sure? Vaguely can note floral scents as well as wheat. Not much else really though. Not much going on here with the aroma.

T - Had higher hopes overall for this beer but nothing really has appealed to me too much. It's drinkable and much more enjoyable than an adjunct but nothing to be excited about. Fairly harsh with wheat and mild hop flavorings present.

M - Light bodied beer. Fairly harsh with the carbonation. Not much else to say, fairly bad feel.

O - Maybe it's the style, maybe it's the beer. Either way I'm not the biggest fan of. Haven't had many red lagers at all except Yuengling, which I find much more enjoyable personally (maybe biased) and it's less than half the price. It's a drinkable beer but one I will not go out of my way for. I can enjoy it for what it is but doesn't live up to other beers I've had.

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

A thin off white head goes away much too quickly, leaving a bare cap atop a clear gold brew.

Not much smell, a bit of of too sour lager yeast and mere hints of spicy hop.

Taste is a light to medium aroma of the overly tart yeast, some caramel sweet, barely ghosts of spicy hops, and not much else to distinguish this. Not delicious nor interesting.

Mouthfeel is about right for style, perhaps a touch undercarbed, but all else is acceptable, though it showcases a flavor profile best left behind the curtain.

Overall this is yet another barely average offering from the terminally underwhelming Blue Point Brewing.

I would be happy if this brewery would make Toxic Sludge and Rastafar Rye as their only offerings, and let go of their other forgettable beers. Toasted Lager is a must miss.

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

Toasted Lager pours out almost like an amber ale. It's a bit darker than most traditional lagers are. The head comes and goes with ease. The smell is full of grains and malts. Not much of a hop aroma or anything else really. The flavors I felt were a little bland. When looking at the name on this I expected to get some forms of actual toast in this beer. Something that has that real specific taste of char or burned. I wasn't expecting those flavors to be strong in the brew but just a little bit so you can taste them. I wasn't overly impressed by this beer.

Blue Point Toasted Lager from Blue Point Brewing Company