Blue Point Toasted Lager - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Point Toasted Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,379 | Reviews: 448
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: pale orange with thin white fizzy head and great clarity

Aroma: toasty, slight biscuit notes with clean yeast character that lets toasty malt shine

Taste: well balanced, great toast and a malt character somewhere between bready and biscuity. No real hop character but great stabilizing bitterness.

Mouthfeel: lager-y smooth and crisp mouthfeel, medium body with medium carbonation

Overall: A great beer overall. Vienna lagers make for great flagship beers and this one is no exception. Flavorful and balanced, this is a perfect beer for non-craft drinkers to enter the craft beer world.

3.82/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. can into a Weyerbacher pint glass.

A: Pours a nice clear copper, with a finger and a half of off-white head and lots of visible carbonation. Very attractive beer.

S: Toasted malts, roasted caramel, lager yeastiness, and faint pilsner malts.

T: Follows the nose well. Clean lightly toasted bready malts, lager yeastiness with mild fruity esters, a touch of caramel sweetness, and a bit of grassy and floral hops near the swallow. Very clean finish, with light hop and toasted malt bitterness.

M: Light body, lots of carbonation sensation, and the alcohol is presence is well-hidden.

O: I found this to be quite enjoyable. The darker malts than typical for most canned American lagers made for a deeper flavor profile without being overly sweet. A nice complimentary hoppiness while still staying malt-forward. A quality canned lager. Maybe it's not quite enough to become a staple in my fridge, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another six-pack when I'm in the mood.

3.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. Yellow Can. No discernible Freshness date.

A: Pours semi-clear light amber color. Thin white head. Thick bubbly carbonation.
Light retention with little lacing.

S: Malts, caramel, toasted, light grains. An overall weak aroma, but enough for me
to get the picture.

T/M: Light to medium bodied. Creamy. Biscuits. Toasted malts. Medium carbonation.
Surprisingly crisp. Hops are only hinted at and don't do much. The finish is mostly
clean with a little linger of malt sweetness.

O: A slightly above average Amber Lager.

Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

First time I had this beer was at a steakhouse in NYC, one of the first craft-beers I ever tried. I've had it since then (after drinking countless other craft-brews) and it was still pretty darn good.

I had it in a bottle and poured it into a glass, it had a good aroma and nice head.

I'm a little new at this so forgive my lack of craft beer "buzzwords," but for some reason this beer just went really well with food. It was flavorful enough but not overpowering. I've had beers before that were basically meals in-and-of-themselves, and those beers can be good- but when eating steak and shrimp and potatoes and other steakhouse staples, the star of the show shouldn't necessarily be the beer. The BP Toasted Lager was a nice compliment.

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours to a thin white head and amber color. Moderate lacing. Aroma is toasty and malty with sweet wine and no hop nose. Flavor is caramel malts and sweet grapes. Mouthfeel is light and slightly sticky and very soda-like. Overall, a solid citizen. Good call.

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%

Haven’t had one of these in quite some time, so I thought I’d pick one up and see if I still disliked them.

Yep, still dislike them.  I figured this would be a solid thirst quencher on a hot summer day, which it was, until the aftertaste kicked in.

While I enjoy the slightly toasty aroma this gives off and the crisp, refreshing mouthfeel, there is some underlying off flavors along with some astringent alcohol building as the lager warms.  I feel like this had some serious potential, but the off flavors are the aftertaste is all about, and frankly it isn’t a good one.  Maybe it was an bad batch, or maybe this is how its always been, but either way, I won’t be revisiting this one again anytime soon.

3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

A thanks to woodychandler for more canned beer. I had this one in a bottle before, but seemed to be much better from the can. Has a dark golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is malty, slightly sweet. Taste is refreshing, lots of malts, some caramel and honey, a bit sweet. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a great warm weather beer.

3.67/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed 4/12/13, 12 oz bottle in nonic pint glass.

A - Pours a crystal clear gold with a fluffy one and a half finger white head. No lacing.

S - Malts, grainy, barely noticeable grassy hop aroma. Not a whole lot going on here.

T - Light malt upfront, light to medium bitterness. Clean and crisp similar to aroma.

M - Light bodied, medium to high carbonation. Crisp easy drinker.

O - Average craft lager, nothing special here.

3.07/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Grabbed this as the only beer on the shelf at a shop in Hell's Kitchen that I hadn't tried. Pretty beer for a lager - kinda red-orange in tint. Light head. Initial reactions by smell were promising, but the beer didn't deliver. A little too much throaty almost mildew taste for me - nearly like That Homebrew Taste. Got over it pretty fast. Pretty malty at the outset, but some hop character shows through at the end. OK beer, but I'm not sure I would buy it again.

A very interesting brew. Poured a light golden tan with a medium size head. There really wasnt any obvious bouquets, aromas, smells that I could detect with this one.
I bypassed sniffing this one and went right to tasting it. It was light and very refreshing but also had an extra 'hit' of being alive!
Couldnt place any spice or hop or anything else on this one, except that there was something there!
The best thing I liked about this beer was that it was very refreshing, young , alive and kept my mouth wanting to have another sip. Now that is pretty good

3.91/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle in a tulip glass.

A-As advertized, reddish-brown color with white a 1-finger head. Bubbly, clean, and carbonated. It looks like a red lager should.

S-Mild malt aroma with some subtle notes of red wine.

T- Dry and toasted (roasted) malt, lightly breaded.

M-Good body for a lager, well carbonated . Clean dry finish.

O- All around decent lager, worth a look.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: This poured into a half pint glass - gave me a great two finger head that shrunk however never disappeared. Dark straw in color. Very pretty - stereotypical beer.

s: The smell was not too powerful, rather weak. Light pear aroma within all of the grainy malts.

t: A very nice taste. There is some sweetness there - a light honey/grain taste. Very close to style.

m: Great light body.

o: Beers that leave you with little words are typically awesome. I really enjoyed this beer. Went down real smooth.

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24 Jan 2013. Our ship had just left Montego Bay and we were heading towards Cartagena in Columbia: I was thirsty and decided to open a pint and 6oz bottle of this brew to slate that thirst. The bottle had been bought at our first port of call: New York.

Poured into one of my stateroom tumblers (three times) it showed a light amber body with an off-white head.

Toffee nose with a malty caramel taste: this is a semi-sweet brew with a drying finish of hop bitterness: I quite liked it.

3.51/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours an attractive dark copper-tinted amber, moderate head, some retention. Scent is light... some sweet caramely malt, dried grain husk, some watery fruit and earthy hop presence. Taste has a bit of sweet caramel but leans towards a more dried, husky and bready note, not really a grain profile I found in other beers that i would actually call toasted. Some light fruit and earhty hops round out the taste. Medium bodied but way too prickly. Drinkable but unmemorable.

3.86/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hmm. I am not a fan of the fact that I CANnot do a separate review for different Serving Types as in the past, but The CANQuest (TM) CANnot allow minor speed bumps to stand in its way. The following review is for Serving Type CAN with my previous Bottle review following. Viva The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "Craft Brewed Extremely Fresh"; "Long Island's Brewery".

Extremely fresh?!? Extremely active, more like! No sooner had the Crack taken place than I was starting to get a lot of foam attempting to throw me off of my game. I cleverly employed a quick Glug to start getting it into the glass before anything else untoward could occur. I soon had two fingers of dense, eggshell-white head with very good retention and things began to mellow out. Color was a deep golden-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose had a grassiness to it that made me want to look at its style characteristics. The CAN identifies it as an "Ameri{CAN} Amber Lager" and I think that is closer than "Vienna Lager", which is its current designation. There was also a definite biscuit malt presence on the nose, reinforcing my desire to submit an update. Mouthfeel was soft, lightly carbonated. allowing it to sit on my tongue and sink in. It was actually fairly sweet with notes of caramel prevalent along with a light anise-like bitterness. I was already liking this much more than what I had gotten in bottle form. Finish was semi-dry and I was reminded again of how enjoyable a well-made lager CAN be. Take it from me - I have CANsumed a lot of crappy CANned lagers by now to be able to spot the diamond among all of the coal. I missed celebrating Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) a couple of weeks ago, but this is a prime cooler CANdidate.

(The below review dates to 22 Nov 2011, BT, 4; 3.5; 4; 3.5; 3.5 = 3.75)

My new home away from home, aka The Fridge, had bottles of this in their cooler recently and I decided to round out my mixed-8 with this one. Yay, lager!

My pour netted me two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, eggnog-colored head with good retention. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a sweetness that I do not generally find in standard lagers. This had more of a caramel-like sweetness as opposed to the standard malt-driven sweetness that comes with non-adjunct lagers. I have really come to embrace lagers in recent years, having routinely poo-poohed them in my hophead salad days. The more I sniffed at this one, the more it grew on me. My first sip was very pleasant, surprisingly full for a lager and with a slight mintiness from the hops that balanced nicely with the sweetness noted on the nose. Finish was semi-sweet with the malt balanced well with the hops. I may not want a steady diet of this one, but as a change-up, it sure filled the bill.

3.16/5  rDev -10.7%

Draft in a tall pilsner glass.

A: reddish amber, very clear. Thick foamy head that lasts.

S: malty and clean but not sweet.

T: burst of hops at the front, gives way to malt quickly. The aftertaste is the most notable feature of this beer, like pecans and toasted wafers.

M: modest carbonation, light enough to be refreshing.

O: a very drinkable but unremarkable beer, makes a good session or companion to a meal.

3.52/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an undated 12 oz. bottle: clear, deep golden to copper with a foamy, sustained white-head.

Strong, sweet and perfumy aromas that are typical for the vienna style. Perhaps a hint of hops.

The flavor begins with a solid malt and caramel backbone with a hint of sourness on the aftertaste. The flavors are rather short-lived though there is a faint sweet-sour lingering flavor that is not completely pleasant.

The lager has a medium body with a somewhat thick, but smooth mouthfeel. The carbonation level keeps everything refreshing.

For a vienna style lager and a flagship beer, it was good and flavorful but hardly memorable. It has good, quaffable qualities and is worth seeking out if this is a style you enjoy.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

12 ounce bottle, one of my buddies picked up a single of this for me on a trip out of town. Served in a pilsener glass, the beer pours a clear dark gold color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like toasted malt, toffee, and some bready/grainy malt. I think the taste is pretty much just like the aroma, but there's also the addition of a bit of honey. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit creamy and has moderate carbonation. It's also smooth and easy to drink. I think it's a solid brew, I wouldn't mind trying this again in the future.

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden amber color with a two finger white head. The head has a decent level of retention, fading eventually to give a medium level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is light overall and consists mainly of a grainy and lightly toasted aroma mixed with a little bit of brown sugar.

Taste – The taste begins with a bready and roasty flavor. Up front there is a lighter brown sugar taste as well. While present, the sugar is light and it dries out quickly to leave a rather drier taste. As the sugar flavors dwindle more roasted flavors come to the tongue. A light caramel flavor however begins working its way into the tongue. In the end a toastier bready and lightly sweetened flavor are left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the thinner to medium side with a carbonation level that is rather average. Good for the style, but nothing exceptional.

Overall – A decent lager. It has a nice more roasted flavor with a decent semi-sweet, then drier, then semi-sweet profile. Nothing to exceptional, but rather easy drinking and at least worth one try.

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - dark golden color, with a nice frothy head - looks like a real Vienna lager

T - good malt taste, crisp finish with a mild and pleasant dryness

M - initially a carbonated feel, but makes way quickly to a smooth and pleasant taste

O - a nicely done Vienna lager - enjoyable

C - I travel to Vienna often and enjoy good original Vienna lagers, and this one does the genre proud

3.34/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautifully translucent, bright copper-golden color with lots of carbonation bubbles that quickly rise to the top. The head is wispy, white, and thin, leaving behind very little lacing (if any, really) on the glass. The nose is full of wheat, grains, and a bit of sweet malt and citrus. Smells very clean and crisp, very inviting for a lager style. Crisp taste, thanks to the carbonation, low bitterness and very little hoppy flavor. Full of toasted wheat and barley with a nice hint of warmth and sweetness from the malt. A little bit of honey can also be detected as the beer warms. Thin-medium body with an overall dry finish.

Not a bad beer, at all. Very crisp and refreshing, this beer triumphs many other lagers of similar style. Plus, this is fairly easy to find year-round.

2.93/5  rDev -17.2%

Tasted 9/14 on draft at the Sweet Grass Dairy Cheese Shop:

A - yellow-copper color with very little head. Just lace is left after a minute

S - honey, citrus, grains, pretty attractive nose.

T - Light malts, honey. Not much going on here.

M - Light-Medium Body, clean-crisp carbonation.

O - Not a fan of the style but its not terrible. If you like lagers then it might just be your thing.

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Brewed with English Pale, Crystal, Munich, Carapils, Wheat, and Belgian Caravienna malts. 1.054 OG, 28 IBU’s, 5.5% ABV (per the website)
Purchased as part of a mixed 12 pack. Pours out to a clear medium amber, forming a modest white head with average retention and lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5% carbs. Aroma has a nice Munich and carapils (bready malt) aroma, with a subtle floral hoppiness. Obvious diacetyl, which I would consider a flaw in the style. The taste also has a nice pleasant bready maltiness with a medium body and a mild bitterness. Well balanced, but the diacetyl is pretty evident, coming through as toasty butterscotch.

It's an OK brew, and as a Vienna lager, kinda fails. Certainly better vienna lagers out there.

3.7/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass at Horsefeathers in Tarrytown, NY.

Appearance: pale amber hue with a crystal clear body and thin finger of white foam. Decent enough.

Smell: bready and fruity aroma with some cidery overtones. Not bad, though the cidery quality has me a little worried.

Taste: nice bready, toasty, caramelly flavor. Actually quite good, and the cidery character of the aroma isn't present here. It ticks the boxes for me!

Mouthfeel: lght body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: a surprisingly tasty and satisfying lager. I rather like it.

3.49/5  rDev -1.4%

I see this at every bar but never had a reason to purchase it until my dad flew in. Much rather buy him a local brew than one of the Mexican imports.

Good-looking pour, yielding a copper body and plenty of white head. Strong retention & leaves sticky lace. Beautiful for a lager.

Aroma is lackluster. Sweet malts dominate, though I can't perceive any toastiness. Smells a little corn-y too, which was surprising.

This is a pretty simple beer: toasted malt atop regular grains, marginal sweetness in the middle, finishes with a bit of hop character. Bitterness is barely perceptible. Body is surprisingly creamy -- best part of the beer IMO.

A decent lager that beats the pants off of the big American macro-lagers and most popular Mexicans as well. But absolutely not worth the $10/6-pack I paid at my corner bodega. That's more expensive than Zombie Dust, and this realization makes me a sad panda.

Blue Point Toasted Lager from Blue Point Brewing Company