Blue Point Toasted Lager - Blue Point Brewing Company

good

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Point Toasted Lager Alström Bros
TJBAIHWL

3.93/5  rDev +11%

Reviewed from tasting notes from May '10

A - Orange-golden with some good effervescence and a fizzy white head that subsides to a lingering film. Little lacing.

S - Mostly malty with some honey & grain. Reminiscent of breakfast cereal.

T - About like the nose, toasty/somewhat grainy malt, easily detectable honey, and enough bitterness going down to keep it balanced.

M - As the appearance indicates, it's fairly fizzy, but not enough to really be a problem.

D - Excellent. Like a lager should be, this is one you can pound a 6 of in no time. I was a little concerned that the Honey Bunches of Oats flavor would get old, but it really didn't.

10-21-2010 03:05:52 | More by TJBAIHWL
dutchlq7

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Serving- 12oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance-Light copper with a light consistent carbonation. Poured a small head which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing a small ring.

Smell-Subtle toasty, caramelly malt with a light hint of hops.

Taste- Slight toasty malt flavor to start which is followed by a flat sweetness and a small hop finish.

Mouthfeel-Smooth, light feel with a light carbonation.

Drinkability-A nice easy drink, smooth and enjoyable. Probably won't go looking for it again but will drink it if its around.

10-17-2010 23:50:45 | More by dutchlq7
micromaniac129

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours copper in color with a nice white thats tall in dense.
Slight malty aroma with some hops too, nothing overpowering.
Taste is average with malt and some hops and some real real slighty biscuit nuiances.
Smooth tastingbut with an alcohol or off taste on swallowing.
Needs more flavor tastes lite and watery. Lacking character.

10-05-2010 22:27:36 | More by micromaniac129
pmlondrigan

3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Cracked after back to school night to unwind. Nice pale copper color. One finger white head, and actually some clings to the glass. Really clear. Lightly toasted malts, some noble hops, and a little dank lager yeast meet the nose, nothing incredible. Flavor is unassuming and basic except for the toasty aspect which is detectable and nice. Mild lager quality, not too asertive on the hops. Sessionable for sure, would be more "drinkable" but has a lingering after taste. Nice round mouthfeel. Everything about this beer is ok, nothing special but well done.

10-05-2010 02:27:54 | More by pmlondrigan
BeerCon5

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a bright copper color with one finger of bubbly white head.

Not much of a scent, it is faintly sweet.

The taste is of toasted grains, a little sweet, buttery, and light hops.

Light bodied, smooth and kind of oily, low carbonation.

This was pretty easy going down, the flavor was ok, not a lot going on here. Overall it's not something I would buy again.

09-28-2010 20:09:02 | More by BeerCon5
beerme343

Idaho

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Tasted from a glass pint. Pours mostly clear with just a touch of haze. An average sized head composed of off white bubbles that dissipated quickly. Color is more or less like clover honey - a hint of amber but mostly gold. An oaky, caramelized malt aroma with walnuts and toasted oats. The taste shows off bread and nuts with balanced malt. No big or offensive flavors, the malt is muted enough that it doesn't overpower. Nice smooth mouthfeel that lingers with a long finish. Very drinkable. I could envision this turning into a popular session lager.

09-21-2010 05:13:58 | More by beerme343
willPS21

West Virginia

4.53/5  rDev +28%

I got this beer in DC when searching for beers for some non-beer-drinking friends. Listening to one's tastes (Heineken and Yuengling) I knew I was shooting for a lager and knew the Full Sail Session was what I wanted, but of the 200+ beers available, that wasn't. I took a chance with the Toasted Lager.

Although I only drank a small amount, I was very surprised by the more neutral smell compared to many. S= It has a round, unoffensive, oaty or grainy subltly sweet nose. Appearance probably not something that matters for this beer. M= The mouthfeel is damn near refreshing, a very difficult attainment indeed. It falls in the short list of beers I would drink when thirsty if nothing but beer is available. The carb/beer ratio seems perfect, better than session. T= The taste is fantastic. I found it less sweet and breadier than the Session which had a little bit too much spicy sweetness, and slightly sweeter than yuengling without the more raunchy notes. My friend described it as a perfect heineken without the "gnarly" and "funky" flavors. D= Drinkability is outlandish and I would say I rank it at the top of beer to drink for extensive time without trying to get wrecked.

I hadn't seen the beer before but I do know the store, so presumably it was fairly fresh.

I'd like to point out there's no highly rated lager, period, which is strange because frankly some people prefer lager. Although I'm an ale man myself, I really do find this a fantastic beer and by far the most enjoyable lager I've had, and am looking forward to drinking it again.

09-14-2010 00:25:45 | More by willPS21
FickleBeast

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a light orange color with a half finger of foam. Aroma is buttery, nutty.

The flavor is very buttery, with a strange nuttiness as well. Suprisingly sweet, perhaps finishing a little too sweet for my tastes. I'm just not a fan of the buttery flavor. It seems to overwhelm anything else. Would not get again.

09-12-2010 03:28:42 | More by FickleBeast
BeerLover48Fan

4.93/5  rDev +39.3%

I tried this beer a while back but had forgotten to review it. So today while in my favorite beertique I bought 2 6 packs of the Toasted Lager and two of the Octoberfest. These beers are the only Blue Point brews I have ever tried. But after thoroughly enjoying the Toasted Lager I have suggested it to many friends and will continue to do so

09-02-2010 23:16:56 | More by BeerLover48Fan
DrJay

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Clear light amber with a bit of an orange hue, short yellow/beige cap of fine bubbles that dissipated over about 3 minutes leaving a collar. The foam was a bit sticky and clumpy. Malty aroma, caramel, bread, toast, a bit fruity. Same in the flavour with mild to moderate bitterness up front and lingering fruity bitterness in the finish. Slightly metallic at the end. Decent texture, average carbonation and medium bodied. This is a serviceable lager, tasty enough to have again.

08-31-2010 23:31:13 | More by DrJay
DJED69

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

I've had this beer a few times during the Summer, seems to be becoming more popular locally. Overall a decent brew. Not overly complex. Malt and sweet biscuit flavors dominate. Medium body with low carbonation. Almost reminds me of an English mild ale. I wouldn't turn one down, but not sure I'd seek out. I much prefer Sam Adams or Brooklyn Lager over this brew.

08-24-2010 00:30:32 | More by DJED69
washburnkid

3.2/5  rDev -9.6%

Amber hues and a finger of white head fizzles to nothing in a short amount of time. On the nose, I get toasted biscuit. Nothing special (or surprising) there. Flavors are mellow toasted bread, and a ... well ... not much else, to be honest. I can't decide if there's hoppiness in there to balance it out. It's malt and water. The hops offer maybe a bit of fruitiness, but I don't want to stretch my imagination. This is a really basic brew, with not a ton of complexity. Caramel and sweetness, with biscuit. That about sums it up. Mouthfeel leaves good residuals, and the carbonation is medium. I'd like to try this one as fresh as possible, so maybe a trip out to the brewery is necessary!

08-22-2010 00:34:48 | More by washburnkid
kbutler1

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle. Not where I got this one but it's cold and looks tempting so lets give it a go. Pours a reddish hued golden color with a very tightly packed white foamy head. I think the malt backbone truly takes center stage in the nose with very little else being evident. It's sweet, not is like super awesome sweet, but flavor wise sort of like apples. Slight alomost barely noticeable hops at the end of this one. It is very smooth tasting, I'll give it that. Not being a huge drinker of Vienna style beers I can't really say if this is great or not but I will say that it is ok.

08-21-2010 01:49:40 | More by kbutler1
hastings

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

The Blue Point Toasted Lager has a great medium body to it. I smelt a good balance of malt and hops, but defiantly leaned more towards a malty beer. The beer had a great toasted malty taste to it that makes me want more and more.It was a very impressive beer and is no surprise that it has beer a award winning beer. As a whole Blue Point did a great job with this beer.

Keep it going!

Cheers!

08-19-2010 07:34:59 | More by hastings
Soonami

4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

Blue Point Toasted Lager comes a bottle adorned with all kinds of awards from various beer festivals. It pours a nice clear amber with just a little bit of foam that promptly fizzles out to a bit of dappled white. The aroma is very malty, almost like a maibock with sweet caramelized grain and browned toast. This is mirrored in the taste with rich malts and a hint of herbal hop bitterness in the finish that melds well with the malt flavor of the lager. The beer finished smooth and clean with a bit of residual sweetness. I enjoyed this beer a lot.

08-14-2010 00:59:42 | More by Soonami
blackie

3.4/5  rDev -4%

a: shaker pint, deep copper in colour, not much head to speak of

s: lots of toasty sweet Vienna style malt with a mild sour edge, apple and peach, mild and spicy noble hops

m: lightly carbonated, medium bodied, heavy for the style but somewhat satisfying

t: sweet lager malts, toasty with a nutty edge, oxidized apple, lightly hopped, grassy

d: decent flavors/aromas here but too much unchecked sweetness to be very drinkable

08-12-2010 04:31:54 | More by blackie
OWSLEY069

4.1/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a clean orange-ish/ copper copper with a white head. In the aroma a sweet roasty malty, almost nutty. In the taste, a small roasty malt, sweet nuttiness, and lager-ish. A smooth and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry roasty malt in the aftertaste. Smooth and roasty, somewhat like Yuengling without the bite.

08-07-2010 14:10:54 | More by OWSLEY069
dayswonder

3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

bottle into a pint glass.

appearance is a dark amber color when poured into a pint glass, almost mahogany.

not many different dimensions for the nose to pick up on, a definite sweet smell.

the taste is a pleasant creamy caramel, think toasted and you will taste a toasted, good taste.

medium feel in your mouth, very inviting.

I could definitely see myself drinking a few more of these, relaxing.

07-01-2010 23:41:32 | More by dayswonder
IronGiant

4.22/5  rDev +19.2%

I sometimes wish my local watering hole served burgers, because a burger and a plate of fries would be perfect with Blue Point Toasted Lager.

Pours a great color into a pint glass, smooth and creamy on the tongue, with a nice toasted flavor. Definitely a beer I could drink more than one of, and generally one I would choose over other lagers on tap.

06-29-2010 18:10:36 | More by IronGiant
letsgopens

4.1/5  rDev +15.8%

An intriguing sounding selection. Decanted in to an imperial pint glass this brew pours a very clear, light golden amber with some very sparse, rising carbonation. Thick, creamy egg-shell white head that holds its shape well but leaves little lace behind.

Very sweet, toasty caramel malt up front. Mild buttery cornmeal and mildly fragrant, spicy hops. Some light clover honey floats around there as well.

Bright and crisp initially but more bitter and roasty than expected. The finish is sweet with honey, buttered toffee and caramel malt. After enjoying about half the glass I'm detecting more toasted biscuit and spicy hops drifting around in the middle. Upon closer consideration it's really more balanced then I first thought. Excellent throughout.

Crisp and clean first impression with a doughy, substantial middle and a creamy but semi-dry finish. Fine texture with mellow carbonation. Very drinkable indeed with lots of character to keep the drinker interested. I'm a fan.

05-24-2010 23:44:32 | More by letsgopens
towersfall

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Pours a copper/amber color with a slight red hue. A lumpy cream-white head sits on top and takes a minute to dissipate. Not a lot of lacing.

Smell: Breaded malts with a slightly toasted scent to them. Hops linger, but don't really stand out. Nothing outstanding, but nothing disappointing either.

Appearance: Toasty malts overwhelm the palate and is quickly cooled off by the crispness of the brew. A refreshing lager perfect for onion rings and a burger. A simple overdone style (due to macros) that Blue Point has put an interesting twist on.

Mouthfeel: A crisp medium body that doesn't have an overwhelming aftertaste.

Drinkability: Are you kidding me? This stuff is great! On my list of "six packs to buy whenever" list. Blue Point has yet to let me down!

05-22-2010 22:23:44 | More by towersfall
WeezyBoPeep

3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a big bottle into a giant frozen crystal stein; an awesome way to enjoy this beer!

A: Pours a deep, darkish orange, clear, with plenty of carbonation and a pretty, white head of foam. Lacing? Minimal.

S: Smells instantly of floral hops with a perfume character. Sweet malt and vanilla extract can be detected deep in there, with a lightly toasted wheat bread presence.

T: Very nice and refreshing...hoppy with a creamy front. Middle is tangy and wet. Finish dries off a bit with a blast of malt. Left behind is a nice hoppy burp. I'd call this an excellent summertime beer; fresh and somehow fruity. Perfect for a ballgame.

D: I could easily relax with two or three of these big guys on a hot summer day.

Value: I paid $2.99 for a big one. Not bad...not bad at all. In fact, I'm going to buy a few more of these while I can get 'em at that price.

05-16-2010 00:33:17 | More by WeezyBoPeep
eporter66

3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle to a pint glass

Picked this up on recommendation from the guy at the distributer. Looking for something mild when I was going to our NCAA final 4 party

A - Good appearance, copper color with nice foamy one finger head and decent lacing on the glass

S - Not getting much at all from the smell, a bit of the toasted/biscuit aroma comes through

T - Toasted flavor comes through with some malt sweetness in the back. A little bitterness comes through after a few sips

M - Good carbonation, not heavy at all

D - This is a good drinking beer, and probably a good microbrew for the beginners. I dont find much special with this at all, but a good solid beer

05-14-2010 21:39:21 | More by eporter66
mstyne

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Received as a share of a Blue Point mix pack. No brewed on/best by date to be found. Poured a reddish brown with a minimal head that escaped into the ether quickly. No lacing. Solid carbonation. A mostly pleasant aroma. I can definitely taste the 'toasty' flavor in this brew, it almost has a smoked kind of flavor to it, with a warm finish. Perhaps if it weren't brutally cold and windy today, I could see myself enjoying this out in the backyard. A nice offering from Blue Point, but not something I would actively seek out.

05-09-2010 17:01:40 | More by mstyne
confer

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%

Botm selection for April 2010.
A- Looks like cream soda with no head at all.
S- Rich malty sweet smell.
T- This beer tasted like a an American wheat beer. The prominent taste was that dull stale wheat taste.
MD- Although this beer is very easy drinking and I can't really say anything bad about, I wouldn't look for it again.

05-01-2010 11:10:54 | More by confer