1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Point Winter Ale - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Winter AleBlue Point Winter Ale

good

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 293 | Reviews: 137 | Show All Ratings:
PEBKAC

1.98/5  rDev -43.4%

Freshly stocked six-pack, right off the shelf. BB:4/07

Nestea in color
A thick scratchy head, but nothing last forever.

A sharp, acidic malt rushes my senses.
I almost feel like I just ran through the fragrance department at Macy's, but nowhere as unique. The inside of my nose actually feels more like I just sprayed & subsequently walked into a mist of Lysol. A bubbly, alcoholic burn runs through my sinuses.
Where is it coming from? This is medicinal. I'm awake.

Creamy, with a bit more carbonation then I was expecting. Edgy going down. The alcohol climbs back up your nose.
A bit of a hop tone underneath that saves it from an Aunt Jemima finish.

This isn't a winter ale, & that that didn't help my initial opinion.
I struggled through this bottle when I really shouldn't have. It struck my notes in a way that I didn't enjoy. I would be able to drink a fairly decent amount of this had the its scent not made me queasy.

I'll see what happens when the last bottles go down around Christmas.

11-29-2006 03:37:12 | More by PEBKAC
TLove

District of Columbia

2.15/5  rDev -38.6%

On tap in Windsor, CT.

Really light and weak for a winter. Surprising lack of spice and, despite its nice amber-brown color and 1/2 finger head, the beer is more dry and hoppy than I expected. Grainy and parsing.

Its something different, but I won't go for this one again. The taste is unbalanced and the body too thin. Lacks the wintry flavors and substantive malts and complexity of a winter brew.

Aptly categorized as an amber/red ale. It claims, however, to be a winter ale and I have rated it accordingly.

12-03-2009 03:51:40 | More by TLove
Braudog

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

From the cask at KClinger’s. The tender delivered a deep, dark red beer with an ice-creamy, frothy head. On the tongue, this has that silky cask feel. On reflection, this was oddly bitter, almost like an unripe pear. It had a bit of a caramel nectar as a base, but the woody bitterness doesn’t match well. Disappointing. (#2652, 1/14/07)

Serving type: cask

02-04-2007 21:31:10 | More by Braudog
lbkornlb14

2.38/5  rDev -32%

You cant get much more boring then the Blue Point Winter. It pours and smells descent enough, but I guess even the nose is a little boring. Its a malt bomb, all you taste is malt, and its so boring I had trouble choking down just a single pint. On that note, Besides the Blueberry and Toasted Lager, I feel that Bluepoints quality has really let me down, and being a long islander it is kind of sad. Im to the point where I wont even recommend this brewery or its beers if im out and someone hasnt tried it. Anyone else feel the same? Anyway the bluepoint winter is one of the most boring, uninspired, borderline undrinkable beers of the year.

12-21-2008 03:07:30 | More by lbkornlb14
dsa7783

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled this beer from a 12oz bottle from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa... As far as a Winter Ale is concerned, the weak 4.5% ABV hardly does justice for warming up during a cold winter night... the beer pours an off-color amber color with minimal lacing and no head... smell is full of grain, corn, and slight hops... taste is oily and not too appealing... rather bitter and somewhat medicinal that was uninviting and totally unappealing... not impressed at all, and a poor sample from a company that did good things with their Blueberry Ale and Toasted Lager... This is one that should be avoided...

01-19-2008 18:28:46 | More by dsa7783
ommegangpbr

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

I was hoping for more from this one... things didn't turn out as I'd hope.
Started out well enough (purchased at B & B Beverage Distributors in Queens) with a pretty pour; a deep red/crimson color.
Things go downhill from there. Not very much of anything in the nose; a bit of sweetness, a splash of smokeyness.
The taste is that of improperly brewed coffee. Overly bitter and watered down, this becomes more pronounced in the mouthfeel/finish of the sip.
Some of these things might be forgiven if there was more alcohol in this or something (which I'd assume from something with 'winter ale' on the label) ... I suppose I don't really care for amber ales and marketing this as a winter ale, in my opinion, is a mistake.
On the bright side, I revisited Southern Tier's Old Man Winter ale after trying the Blue Point winter and the Southern Tier was much, much better by comparison.

02-27-2006 20:25:12 | More by ommegangpbr
potatojuice

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- dark amber in color.. thick khaki, cratered head that sticks to the glass..really nice appearance

S- quite malty, spice

T- taste is malty, mid palate I get that bright burst of sweetness like a burnt powdered sugar with nutmeg, cinnamon, candied ginger, also a somewhat unpleasant solvent, nail polish, plastic type taste tht hides in the back
this would b a great winter brew if it wasn't for the solventy taste..2.5/5

01-14-2014 22:01:50 | More by potatojuice
iceball585

2.73/5  rDev -22%

A- Deep reddish color, semi-transparent, very thin white layer head

S- Grains, some winter spices, earthy, hint of hops, slight metallic smell

T- Wood chips, caramel, dark fruits, grains, light malts, bitter hops

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, fairly bitter, oily film left on the palate

D- Give it a try

Definatly not one of my favorite winter ales. I like some of Blue Point's other beers but I just don't feel the flavors blend well together in this one.

01-10-2008 22:58:42 | More by iceball585
NoahSYGG

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%

I agree with Lbkornlb14. This beer is boring. It tastes like a darker oktoberfest. I don't like any christmasy spices in my beer, but c'mon guys a little something. The flavor was boring. The color was ok and also being a fellow Long Islander i am very dissatisfied with blue point. I had a hoptical illusion the other day and it was atrocious. blue point is on their way out.

12-21-2008 23:29:59 | More by NoahSYGG
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%

served into nonic glass from a 12 oz. brown long neck bottle with crimp-on cap.

Brilliant, very clear, medium amber/copper deep reddish hue. 2" white head,good retention,a few tiny bubbles rising,nice lacing down the sides of the glass.

Moderate nose,mostly spice, also fruity, slightly sweet carmell/toffee a bit of some tartness.

Spicy flavors dominate first taste,followed by a grassy tart taste,a dry,bitter finish. Nothing fancy here a plain ole winter beer.

Medium bodied,smooth, good drinkability,nothing here to make me want to drink more than one of these beers. A mediocre offering from Blue Point, usually enjoy most of their beers.
Nothing to really get excited about here. A bit of a dissapointment for me.

01-04-2007 03:53:02 | More by jcdiflorio
Steved9mm

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Well Let me just start off by saying that this is an american red ale and I could definitely see how some people would love this beer. However it is not for me. I bought it because im a big fan of Blue Points toasted lager and hoptical illusion and I wanted to give their winter seasonal a try.

It pours a nice dark cola color with an offwhite head and nice retention all the way to the end. The nose is mostly roasted dark maltyness and sugary sweetness as well as some coffee and chocolate. The taste is overwhelmingly malty with a bit of chocolate/coffee coming through and very subtle hints of hops, dark fruit, and some kind of spice in the finish. Overall not what I was expecting and I'd say it was a bit unbalanced. If you're a big fan of red ales give it a try but as far as I'm concerned it was nothing special.

12-15-2013 18:11:18 | More by Steved9mm
rhoadsrage

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear reddish-brown body with a lumpy light tan thin film on top that is supported by big bubbles gliding to the surface.

S- The soft smell of biscuit malt and toasted malt has a faint caramel malt quality and concludes with a faint green bitter note.

T-The taste of biscuit malt is dry with a soft note of stall cinnamon and finishes with a green noble hop hint.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel and a big fizz finish that enhances the hops note a bit.

D- This is not what I expected for a winter ale. I picture full bodied something to keep you warm brew, but instead it was a light beer with a darker color.

05-15-2008 17:31:41 | More by rhoadsrage
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

I got this bottle in a trade with rpohagan. Thanks Ryan!

It pours a clear amber brown with a good 2 finger head of foam. Good head retention and there's some lacing.

The smell is malty with notes of caramel and some grain. There's also something spicy there that I can't really figure out. Maybe the taste will help.

The taste starts off with some good caramel malt character folowed by some grainy notes and some spice, maybe corriander? Hard to identify as it's very light. There's some hop bitterness here that's not quite agreeable to my tastebuds. In fact, after further sips, I find the finish is less of a hoppy flavour and more of a salty one and it's really affecting the drinkability factor for me.

It's light bodied and the carbonation is medium.

I'm glad I was given the opportunity to try this Ale but...it's not up *my* alley.

06-23-2008 23:12:38 | More by Bitterbill
diverdownrick

2.95/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not what I was expecting for a winter beer from a smaller brewery. No hint of spices or aroma typically found in winter ales.

First impression - would have classified this as an Octoberfest in a blind taste test. Drinkable but nothing noteworthy. Kind of beer that you need to take several sips of before you can start to pick up the characteristics.

Smell - minimal aroma to the nose.

Appearance - mix of traditional red ale and an Octoberfest. Good consistency and caramel/red color with a nice yet petite head

Taste - Very minimal hops noted. Medium to weak body, nothing overpowering or substantial. Again, feels like the love child of a red ale and an Octoberfest.

Aftertaste - minimal if any. Savor meter is very low which is OK for a summer beer that you drink when it's 90 degrees and you are parched but for a winter beer I want something more substantial to carry me though a cold night.

12-06-2013 20:37:27 | More by diverdownrick
weeare138

Appears an amber color with a small off white head that leaves spotty lacing around the glass.
Smell is of cardboardy typical red ale with some sweet malt and some citrusy hops.
Taste is of the same aromas that are slightly sweet and slightly bitter. Nothing special jumping out.
Mouthfeel is again slightly sweet and bitter with no balance.

01-13-2006 00:00:05 | More by weeare138
LilBeerDoctor

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Reviewed on 12/22/08. Bottle. Pours a clear brown with a very small ring of tan head. Aroma of general spices (peppery?) and sweet malt. Flavor of an amber ale with spiced caramel malt. Definite spicy/peppery notes. Spicy burn in the finish. This is an ok beer, but nothing I would seek out again. More like a S/H/V than an amber ale. Decent.
6/4/6/3/14 (3.3/5)

12-29-2008 18:24:11 | More by LilBeerDoctor
MaltyGoodness

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear amber with an eggshell head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a caramel maltiness with some hops woven in. Smells like an amber or a red ale.

Sweet malt taste upfront with a touch of hops and finishes sweet. Slightly cloying.

Body is nothing special. Carbonation is adequate.

I'll drink this one down, and then instantly forget it...

01-27-2006 20:24:42 | More by MaltyGoodness
aibkstaff

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours with a deep rich mahogany color and thick creamy head. The smell is rich and malty with hints of vanilla. Taste is sweet and malty with a fizzy carbonation. It reminds me of a vienna lager. Very light in body. Drinkability is easy. This one is kinda boring, but makes a decent winter.

12-07-2008 03:23:13 | More by aibkstaff
LukeK1231

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Color: Dark caramel-red color, very nice really.

Aroma: Light spice-smell similar, to other winter seasonals.

Taste: The taste had a slight spice to it. Overall, a watery version of most winter beers, however the 7% was hidden decently.

Finsih: Taste-lacking

03-11-2011 20:11:04 | More by LukeK1231
Knapp85

3.08/5  rDev -12%

This beer poured out as a reddish color with a white head. Ther head fizzles away and doesn't leave too much lacing or rentention. The smell of the beer has a sweet malt base with some light winter spices on the nose. The taste of the beer was a little weaker than I hoped for. The flavors are average to me. The mouthfeel was also pretty much average. Overall I thought this beer should have beem a little stronger and thicker.

11-16-2011 02:07:13 | More by Knapp85
magine

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Never had anything from this brewery before - here goes.

Poured this brew into a pint glass.

The beer pours a nice dark red amber - dark copper in the lower part of the glass. Has a nice light tan head, some minimal lacing - the head goes away quickly.

The beer has a bubbly mouthfeel, has a sweet taste of fruit, caramel hints, malts - dry finish. The taste is not balanced enough for me - almost is missing something.

This beer is good for a change up brew for me - not sure I like the finish to much with this one. I could enjoy a few, but then I would move on. It is a decent winter brew but I have had better.

The beer smells of

04-03-2009 01:18:23 | More by magine
riversider76

3.15/5  rDev -10%

Pours redish brown. Tan head with good retention,and lacing. Smell is of malt,and carmel,with some hops.I wish the smell was stronger. Body is light with a bit of carbonation. Taste is sweet up front, with a bitter finish. Worth try, but nothing special.

03-14-2006 00:50:26 | More by riversider76
PittBeerGirl

3.15/5  rDev -10%

A-dark amber in color with white head that quickly fades.

S-decent warm malt/roasted smell to it.

T-nice sweet malt character with bitter hop taste. Nice blend of the two.

M-light carbonation with medium body.

D- average. I would try it again but I don't really want another right now.

04-13-2007 00:40:33 | More by PittBeerGirl
Lexluthor33

3.15/5  rDev -10%

An average brew head to toe.
Amber color,small head and a patchy lace.

The aroma was just malts and grains.
The taste was basically malts and a touch of caramel.

The feel was medium to high carbonation,smooth but with grains in the finish.

Notes: This is not what I want to have when I feel a chill or have friends over. I just felt this beer was a let down.

12-21-2008 05:48:37 | More by Lexluthor33
CHADMC3

Connecticut

3.15/5  rDev -10%

Walnut brown body exudes a quickly developing and generous fluffy white head, lasting throughout the beer that leaves a trail of lacing.

Generous aroma of malt and seasonal spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon accompany hints of nut.

Aroma has hints of caramel malt, but primarily spices, malt, and slight hop bitterness in the finish, but also a bit metallic in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel offers medium carbonation, medium to full body, and a decent palate, but nothing remarkable.

A decent winter warmer overall, somewhere in the middle of the style grade. Comes together ok, I may revisit this again.

12-24-2008 21:28:08 | More by CHADMC3