Blue Point Winter Ale - Blue Point Brewing Company

Ratings: 358 | Reviews: 145
1.92/5  rDev -44.8%

Freshly stocked six-pack, right off the shelf. BB:4/07

Nestea in color
A thick scratchy head, but nothing last forever.

A sharp, acidic malt rushes my senses.
I almost feel like I just ran through the fragrance department at Macy's, but nowhere as unique. The inside of my nose actually feels more like I just sprayed & subsequently walked into a mist of Lysol. A bubbly, alcoholic burn runs through my sinuses.
Where is it coming from? This is medicinal. I'm awake.

Creamy, with a bit more carbonation then I was expecting. Edgy going down. The alcohol climbs back up your nose.
A bit of a hop tone underneath that saves it from an Aunt Jemima finish.

This isn't a winter ale, & that that didn't help my initial opinion.
I struggled through this bottle when I really shouldn't have. It struck my notes in a way that I didn't enjoy. I would be able to drink a fairly decent amount of this had the its scent not made me queasy.

I'll see what happens when the last bottles go down around Christmas.

2.16/5  rDev -37.9%

On tap in Windsor, CT.

Really light and weak for a winter. Surprising lack of spice and, despite its nice amber-brown color and 1/2 finger head, the beer is more dry and hoppy than I expected. Grainy and parsing.

Its something different, but I won't go for this one again. The taste is unbalanced and the body too thin. Lacks the wintry flavors and substantive malts and complexity of a winter brew.

Aptly categorized as an amber/red ale. It claims, however, to be a winter ale and I have rated it accordingly.

2.32/5  rDev -33.3%

From the cask at KClinger’s. The tender delivered a deep, dark red beer with an ice-creamy, frothy head. On the tongue, this has that silky cask feel. On reflection, this was oddly bitter, almost like an unripe pear. It had a bit of a caramel nectar as a base, but the woody bitterness doesn’t match well. Disappointing. (#2652, 1/14/07)

2.43/5  rDev -30.2%

You cant get much more boring then the Blue Point Winter. It pours and smells descent enough, but I guess even the nose is a little boring. Its a malt bomb, all you taste is malt, and its so boring I had trouble choking down just a single pint. On that note, Besides the Blueberry and Toasted Lager, I feel that Bluepoints quality has really let me down, and being a long islander it is kind of sad. Im to the point where I wont even recommend this brewery or its beers if im out and someone hasnt tried it. Anyone else feel the same? Anyway the bluepoint winter is one of the most boring, uninspired, borderline undrinkable beers of the year.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled this beer from a 12oz bottle from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa... As far as a Winter Ale is concerned, the weak 4.5% ABV hardly does justice for warming up during a cold winter night... the beer pours an off-color amber color with minimal lacing and no head... smell is full of grain, corn, and slight hops... taste is oily and not too appealing... rather bitter and somewhat medicinal that was uninviting and totally unappealing... not impressed at all, and a poor sample from a company that did good things with their Blueberry Ale and Toasted Lager... This is one that should be avoided...

2.65/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: [4.00] Pours a nice mahogany color. Fors a small 1/2 finger of off white head. the head is creamy with dense bubbles. The head is gone pretty quickly. The bottle lists the ABV (7%) and there is a date code. I think it indicates this beer is 6 months old.

S: [2.00] Almost no nose. I am whiffing and whiffing. There is just nothing.

T: [2.75] I am getting a lot of alcohol coming through. That is weird for a 7% beer. It also has a bit of weird hop presence.

M: [2.75] The feel is okay - but there is a long lingering dry/bitter finish from the alcohol and the hops. It is not a pleasant finish.

O: [2.75] This is either a really old bottle and this doesn't age well - or - this is not a good beer. I am not enjoying this one. There is no nose at all. The taste is alcohol and weird bitter. I almost feel like I am drinking a bad scotch. It is just off for me.

2.66/5  rDev -23.6%

I was hoping for more from this one... things didn't turn out as I'd hope.
Started out well enough (purchased at B & B Beverage Distributors in Queens) with a pretty pour; a deep red/crimson color.
Things go downhill from there. Not very much of anything in the nose; a bit of sweetness, a splash of smokeyness.
The taste is that of improperly brewed coffee. Overly bitter and watered down, this becomes more pronounced in the mouthfeel/finish of the sip.
Some of these things might be forgiven if there was more alcohol in this or something (which I'd assume from something with 'winter ale' on the label) ... I suppose I don't really care for amber ales and marketing this as a winter ale, in my opinion, is a mistake.
On the bright side, I revisited Southern Tier's Old Man Winter ale after trying the Blue Point winter and the Southern Tier was much, much better by comparison.

2.68/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- dark amber in color.. thick khaki, cratered head that sticks to the glass..really nice appearance

S- quite malty, spice

T- taste is malty, mid palate I get that bright burst of sweetness like a burnt powdered sugar with nutmeg, cinnamon, candied ginger, also a somewhat unpleasant solvent, nail polish, plastic type taste tht hides in the back
this would b a great winter brew if it wasn't for the solventy taste..2.5/5

2.75/5  rDev -21%

A- Deep reddish color, semi-transparent, very thin white layer head

S- Grains, some winter spices, earthy, hint of hops, slight metallic smell

T- Wood chips, caramel, dark fruits, grains, light malts, bitter hops

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, fairly bitter, oily film left on the palate

D- Give it a try

Definatly not one of my favorite winter ales. I like some of Blue Point's other beers but I just don't feel the flavors blend well together in this one.

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

I agree with Lbkornlb14. This beer is boring. It tastes like a darker oktoberfest. I don't like any christmasy spices in my beer, but c'mon guys a little something. The flavor was boring. The color was ok and also being a fellow Long Islander i am very dissatisfied with blue point. I had a hoptical illusion the other day and it was atrocious. blue point is on their way out.

2.86/5  rDev -17.8%

served into nonic glass from a 12 oz. brown long neck bottle with crimp-on cap.

Brilliant, very clear, medium amber/copper deep reddish hue. 2" white head,good retention,a few tiny bubbles rising,nice lacing down the sides of the glass.

Moderate nose,mostly spice, also fruity, slightly sweet carmell/toffee a bit of some tartness.

Spicy flavors dominate first taste,followed by a grassy tart taste,a dry,bitter finish. Nothing fancy here a plain ole winter beer.

Medium bodied,smooth, good drinkability,nothing here to make me want to drink more than one of these beers. A mediocre offering from Blue Point, usually enjoy most of their beers.
Nothing to really get excited about here. A bit of a dissapointment for me.

2.91/5  rDev -16.4%

Well Let me just start off by saying that this is an american red ale and I could definitely see how some people would love this beer. However it is not for me. I bought it because im a big fan of Blue Points toasted lager and hoptical illusion and I wanted to give their winter seasonal a try.

It pours a nice dark cola color with an offwhite head and nice retention all the way to the end. The nose is mostly roasted dark maltyness and sugary sweetness as well as some coffee and chocolate. The taste is overwhelmingly malty with a bit of chocolate/coffee coming through and very subtle hints of hops, dark fruit, and some kind of spice in the finish. Overall not what I was expecting and I'd say it was a bit unbalanced. If you're a big fan of red ales give it a try but as far as I'm concerned it was nothing special.

2.93/5  rDev -15.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear reddish-brown body with a lumpy light tan thin film on top that is supported by big bubbles gliding to the surface.

S- The soft smell of biscuit malt and toasted malt has a faint caramel malt quality and concludes with a faint green bitter note.

T-The taste of biscuit malt is dry with a soft note of stall cinnamon and finishes with a green noble hop hint.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel and a big fizz finish that enhances the hops note a bit.

D- This is not what I expected for a winter ale. I picture full bodied something to keep you warm brew, but instead it was a light beer with a darker color.

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Not what I was expecting for a winter beer from a smaller brewery. No hint of spices or aroma typically found in winter ales.

First impression - would have classified this as an Octoberfest in a blind taste test. Drinkable but nothing noteworthy. Kind of beer that you need to take several sips of before you can start to pick up the characteristics.

Smell - minimal aroma to the nose.

Appearance - mix of traditional red ale and an Octoberfest. Good consistency and caramel/red color with a nice yet petite head

Taste - Very minimal hops noted. Medium to weak body, nothing overpowering or substantial. Again, feels like the love child of a red ale and an Octoberfest.

Aftertaste - minimal if any. Savor meter is very low which is OK for a summer beer that you drink when it's 90 degrees and you are parched but for a winter beer I want something more substantial to carry me though a cold night.

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

I got this bottle in a trade with rpohagan. Thanks Ryan!

It pours a clear amber brown with a good 2 finger head of foam. Good head retention and there's some lacing.

The smell is malty with notes of caramel and some grain. There's also something spicy there that I can't really figure out. Maybe the taste will help.

The taste starts off with some good caramel malt character folowed by some grainy notes and some spice, maybe corriander? Hard to identify as it's very light. There's some hop bitterness here that's not quite agreeable to my tastebuds. In fact, after further sips, I find the finish is less of a hoppy flavour and more of a salty one and it's really affecting the drinkability factor for me.

It's light bodied and the carbonation is medium.

I'm glad I was given the opportunity to try this Ale but...it's not up *my* alley.

Appears an amber color with a small off white head that leaves spotty lacing around the glass.
Smell is of cardboardy typical red ale with some sweet malt and some citrusy hops.
Taste is of the same aromas that are slightly sweet and slightly bitter. Nothing special jumping out.
Mouthfeel is again slightly sweet and bitter with no balance.

dark amber in color. Aroma of coffee and chocolate. Slightly bitter at first but flavorful. Great with an evening meal.

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Reviewed on 12/22/08. Bottle. Pours a clear brown with a very small ring of tan head. Aroma of general spices (peppery?) and sweet malt. Flavor of an amber ale with spiced caramel malt. Definite spicy/peppery notes. Spicy burn in the finish. This is an ok beer, but nothing I would seek out again. More like a S/H/V than an amber ale. Decent.
6/4/6/3/14 (3.3/5)

3.06/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours with a deep rich mahogany color and thick creamy head. The smell is rich and malty with hints of vanilla. Taste is sweet and malty with a fizzy carbonation. It reminds me of a vienna lager. Very light in body. Drinkability is easy. This one is kinda boring, but makes a decent winter.

3.06/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Color: Dark caramel-red color, very nice really.

Aroma: Light spice-smell similar, to other winter seasonals.

Taste: The taste had a slight spice to it. Overall, a watery version of most winter beers, however the 7% was hidden decently.

Finsih: Taste-lacking

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear amber with an eggshell head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a caramel maltiness with some hops woven in. Smells like an amber or a red ale.

Sweet malt taste upfront with a touch of hops and finishes sweet. Slightly cloying.

Body is nothing special. Carbonation is adequate.

I'll drink this one down, and then instantly forget it...

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, clear, deep, dark, mahogany color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department, either that or I’m stuffed up. I do get some very faint notes of malt and brown sugar, but not much else.

Taste: Much more in the flavor department however. Strong notes of malt and freshly baked bread. Black pepper, coriander, brown sugar-like sweetness and subtle hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth, as there’s not much in the way of carbonation, what-so-ever. With an ABV of 7.0%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a pretty tasty beer. Good balance between malt and sweet and hoppy bitterness, but at the same time, its’ nothing special. If offered, I’d happily drink it again, but I’m not picking it up again on my own. It’s a good quaff, but forgettable.

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer poured out as a reddish color with a white head. Ther head fizzles away and doesn't leave too much lacing or rentention. The smell of the beer has a sweet malt base with some light winter spices on the nose. The taste of the beer was a little weaker than I hoped for. The flavors are average to me. The mouthfeel was also pretty much average. Overall I thought this beer should have beem a little stronger and thicker.

3.11/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Pours a translucent dark copper, with a gray, thick head of uneven bubbles that faded pretty quick. Not a lot of lacing. Looks perfectly fine to me, nothing bad but nothing to write home about. 3/5

S: Opening florals of corn and wet cereals, sweetish. Not the most inviting. 2/5

T: Bright and light, with muted hops up front, toasted and a bit malty, fading to a more of a malty finish; sweet. Seems to leave an ever-sweetening aftertaste, which is actually pleasant. Notes of corn & cereal & grapefruit up front, but more caramel, almost dark chocolate or chocolate biscuits, at the finish. 3.5/5

M: There's a bit of body to the beer, despite the initial lightness, and you do feel the warming ABV. Very drinkable, and I enjoyed the beer more as I continued drinking. 3.5/5

O: Not a bad beer, and perhaps my favorite offering from Blue Point (I'm not a fan of the Toasted Lager or some of their other beers, which is hard to say as I'm from LI and Blue Point is everywhere around me). But this is one of those beers where the initial impressions turned out to be pretty deceptive. From unimpressive first sniffs and tastes, I continued to like the beer more and more. They dialed down the hops, thankfully, and made a pretty solid beer that ends well. Nice. 3.5/5

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

Never had anything from this brewery before - here goes.

Poured this brew into a pint glass.

The beer pours a nice dark red amber - dark copper in the lower part of the glass. Has a nice light tan head, some minimal lacing - the head goes away quickly.

The beer has a bubbly mouthfeel, has a sweet taste of fruit, caramel hints, malts - dry finish. The taste is not balanced enough for me - almost is missing something.

This beer is good for a change up brew for me - not sure I like the finish to much with this one. I could enjoy a few, but then I would move on. It is a decent winter brew but I have had better.

The beer smells of