Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Blue Point Winter Ale | Blue Point Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
3.5

Blue Point Winter AleBlue Point Winter Ale

Blue Point Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

Reviews: 146 | Ratings: 389
3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

This is a bronze beer with a frothy white head. Pretty tufts of lace cling to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of caramelized malts. Although it gives the impression of a dry beer, the caramel and bread-crust aroma give a fleetingly luxurious sensation. Modest hop presence in the smell. The taste begins with a dry malt flavor. Bitterness begins in the mid-taste. Moderate carbonation, and relatively full bodied. The finish is sweeter than expected, and has relatively more flavor than the foretaste. Caramel is present throughout the brew. Enjoyable and quite drinkable, but not as rich as a lot of other winter beers.

1.92/5  rDev -45.1%

Freshly stocked six-pack, right off the shelf. BB:4/07

Nestea in color
A thick scratchy head, but nothing last forever.

A sharp, acidic malt rushes my senses.
I almost feel like I just ran through the fragrance department at Macy's, but nowhere as unique. The inside of my nose actually feels more like I just sprayed & subsequently walked into a mist of Lysol. A bubbly, alcoholic burn runs through my sinuses.
Where is it coming from? This is medicinal. I'm awake.

Creamy, with a bit more carbonation then I was expecting. Edgy going down. The alcohol climbs back up your nose.
A bit of a hop tone underneath that saves it from an Aunt Jemima finish.

This isn't a winter ale, & that that didn't help my initial opinion.
I struggled through this bottle when I really shouldn't have. It struck my notes in a way that I didn't enjoy. I would be able to drink a fairly decent amount of this had the its scent not made me queasy.

I'll see what happens when the last bottles go down around Christmas.

4.1/5  rDev +17.1%

On-tap at Pitcher’s Pub in Cumberland, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with a decent-sized off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very malty, with traces of tea, smoke, coffee, caramel and some hops.

T: The taste is robust and very smoky, with flavors of roasted coffee, caramelized malt and a bit of hops. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down very quickly and is very light for a winter seasonal, it’s an excellent beer to stick with for a whole evening.

3.51/5  rDev +0.3%

On cak at the Pizza Plant on Transit,poured from the engine a clear deep amber a tight formed creamy one finger head atop.Real muted aromas almost nothing going on a touch of caramel and biscuit but not a whole lot really much to say here, a noticable drying hop profile to go with a decent caramel sweetness but I think Blue Point strives for a gentle quaffing amber more than big bolder flavored style.Its ok it blow your socks off but its sessionable and has nice subtle flavors.

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%

Pouring into a pint glass, the waitress tells me that I kicked the keg, to which I'd usually be proud. However, this was my first beer of the night, so it wasn't my doing really!

It pours a very white sudsy head (2") atop of an amber with ruby hue body. The head was much more than usualy probably due to the fact that the head was spitting a bit into the glass.

Aroma was mostly of caramel along with an overall cream soda aroma which was quite pleasant but odd. I also get some florals in there from the hops but the malt dominates the aroma.

Very sweet carmael with some slight spice comes through on the sip. It actually reminds me a bit of a pils with some souring hops (floral and a bit citrus) coming through to help balance out the sweetness of it.

Feel was nice. Smooth on my palate with just a slight bitter puckering at the finish. Overall, nicely done with mouthfeel.

Overall, the sweetness for the style was a bit too much for me. I had hoped that I'd get a bit more warming from this one, but the fact that it was the last brew in the keg could amount for my error in judgement. I can't slam this one considering.

3.92/5  rDev +12%

This beer is a very nice alternative to the typical winter beer offering. The beer has the characteristic winter beer dark hue and less than foamy head, but is not as malty as the rest. It has a nice crisp hop character and a lighter than most mouthfeel. Personally, I cannot drink pint after pint of your typical malty winter brew. This is a nice and unique change.

3.57/5  rDev +2%

Hoppy and initially tasty and drinkable. Body on the thin side. A bit of spice not much. Low alcohol a plus..I can get another beer in. Average beer overall, easy to drink. OK to have once. Balance of bitterness and sweetness on the latter. Expiry June 2006.

3.16/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours redish brown. Tan head with good retention,and lacing. Smell is of malt,and carmel,with some hops.I wish the smell was stronger. Body is light with a bit of carbonation. Taste is sweet up front, with a bitter finish. Worth try, but nothing special.

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

Snagged a few of these while at Another Liquor Store...one of the best places to shop in the area thanks to Beerguy.
Dark mahogany in color with a half a finger of tan head...most of it recedes, but leaves behind some very attractive lacing.
Pleasant malty aroma, caramel, fig and some floral hop.
The taste is decent...less sweet than I was expecting and a bit of a smoky flavor until it really warms up. Not overly hoppy in the flavor, but quite dry and bitter in the finish with some lingering roasted malt.
Mouthfeel is a touch thin and the carbonation is nice.
Not my favorite take on the style, but worth trying.

2.66/5  rDev -24%

I was hoping for more from this one... things didn't turn out as I'd hope.
Started out well enough (purchased at B & B Beverage Distributors in Queens) with a pretty pour; a deep red/crimson color.
Things go downhill from there. Not very much of anything in the nose; a bit of sweetness, a splash of smokeyness.
The taste is that of improperly brewed coffee. Overly bitter and watered down, this becomes more pronounced in the mouthfeel/finish of the sip.
Some of these things might be forgiven if there was more alcohol in this or something (which I'd assume from something with 'winter ale' on the label) ... I suppose I don't really care for amber ales and marketing this as a winter ale, in my opinion, is a mistake.
On the bright side, I revisited Southern Tier's Old Man Winter ale after trying the Blue Point winter and the Southern Tier was much, much better by comparison.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Received from shippos in Secret Santa 05. POured at about 50 degrees from a 12 oz bottle notched "purchase before Apr.06."

Pours clear dark copper, with a generous stiff ecru head that left bands and spots of lace on the pint glass. Nose is malt and flowery hops, with just a hint of gingerbread as it warmed. That being said, this more an amber ale than a winter warmer.

Taste is malts that step forward, balanced nicely with hops that linger on the tongue afterwards. Once again, I thought I found a bit of gingerbread as it warmed. Mouthfeel is a bit diminuative in carbonation, a bit creamy, thinning towards the finish, but leaving a nice hop taste and feel on the tongue and palate. Drinkable? you bet. I enjoyed it. Wish I had another!

Thanks, shippos, for the opportunity.

3.94/5  rDev +12.6%

There's a nice hops bit and moderate spiciness, but this is more of a hoppy amber or even a regular pale than a winter warmer. Don't expect the dark coloring and wide range of spices you get in other members of this style. Enough about what it isn't...

The beer is a rich amber in color, with moderate head and lacing. While the hops do have a kick upfront, the overwhelming characteristics are smoothness and balance. The finish is on the dry side, but there are some hints of fruit in it too--faintly detectable cherries and raspberries. The aftertaste lingers on the tongue for a while; you'll pucker after each sip, which is good in this case.

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear amber with an eggshell head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a caramel maltiness with some hops woven in. Smells like an amber or a red ale.

Sweet malt taste upfront with a touch of hops and finishes sweet. Slightly cloying.

Body is nothing special. Carbonation is adequate.

I'll drink this one down, and then instantly forget it...

Appears an amber color with a small off white head that leaves spotty lacing around the glass.
Smell is of cardboardy typical red ale with some sweet malt and some citrusy hops.
Taste is of the same aromas that are slightly sweet and slightly bitter. Nothing special jumping out.
Mouthfeel is again slightly sweet and bitter with no balance.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a redish brown color. Thin white head that dissipates quickly. Does leave an OK lacing. Smell is malty with some toasted notes. Smell is very subdued. Taste is slightly toasted biscuits. Very full mouthfeal that goes down smothly. Very drinkable winter brew at a low ABV. This is probably the lowest ABV i've had in a while and i could drink quite a few of these in a sitting. Another solid offering from Blue Point. Nothing to blow you away but also nothing that dissapoints. Good possiblity for some non micro drinking guest over the holidays.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours out a brown-amber with an amber head of over two inches of big bubbles. Quite clear with streaming carbonation. Looks good and leaves quite a bit of lace in my pint glass.

Smell is predominantly a toasted maltiness and a small hoppiness with maybe a slight peach fruitiness in there. Kind of a muted scent, but pretty standard for the style and definitely no off notes.

Taste is solid: a toasty, slightly-sweet, biscuity malt flavor, a light, grassy hop bite, and a nice, lingering toasty finish that is reminiscent of baked bread and, to a slight extent, pretzels. Tiny twinge of alcohol sneaks through, which is surprising at the tiny ABV. Mouthfeel is crisp and appropriate.

Overall: I picked this one up with a slew of other winter brews thinking I'd get a winter warmer or some spiced dark ale. It's definitely not that.. However, I'd rather drink this than an over-spiced WW any day; it's a solid amber that you could pack away quite a few of in a session.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

The beer pours a ruby red color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a dry, yet malty scent that is a bit breadlike and nutty with a faint hint of hops. The taste is good as well. It has a silky smooth malty flavor with a nice hoppy finish. It has a very bitter bite. I like the breadlike/bisquit taste along with the crystal malts. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent winter ale. I really don't understand what makes this a "winter ale." Oh well, it's still a good drinker.

3.26/5  rDev -6.9%

This brew is dark amber in color with a tall frothy off white head.
Its aroma is of toasted malt and spice.
The flavor starts out a bit malty, then the spice shows through and finishes mildly bitter.
High in carbonation and on the light side of medium bodied.

Not a bad brew.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ouncer with fresness dating showing both the month and year it's best to consume by, yeah! Poured a reddish amber, clear, off white head, leaves some lacing. Nose is nutty, and grainy. Medium bodied ale, bready, nutty, fair amount of spicing noted as it warms. Nothing special, but this is a decent, middle of the road, lighter take on the winter warmer style. Good winter brew for newbies.

3.71/5  rDev +6%

Poured a very nice medium red-amber with a little quickly dissipating head. Good lacing throughout. Smell is not very strong, notes of toasted malts with alcohol and a (very small) hint of spice. Wasn't too impressed by the nose. But, the taste was quite good! Medium-strong toasty malts with a moderate hoppiness, nothing too overpowering. Not much spice at all though. Creamy textures rounded out the brew. Was a pretty good choice, I was expecting worse.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a somewhat dark coppery-golden hue, with a white head. Aroma has a slight spice to it, though I know it's not a spiced winter brew. The taste is at first full and somewhat rich, with toasty caramel malt, spicy hops and a bubbly presence on my tongue. There's a mild taste of the higher alcohol content, but not enough to be a distraction. While I do enjoyed spiced winter ales, this one is a nice alternative for when I tire of the cinnamon and cloves.

3.72/5  rDev +6.3%

This is a dark amber ale with an off white head. The aroma malty sweet with a slightly fruity aspect. The taste is a light malt at the begining with a slight fruitiness in the middle. That end witha smooth bitterness on the finish. The flavor was more subdued than the aroma let on, but very easy to drink.

3.39/5  rDev -3.1%

Actually from a growler bought at Bierkraft, Brooklyn. Deep reddish amber with an off-white to tan head, light to medium carbonation. Not much aroma, faint hops maybe. Quite smooth on the palate, with a moderate malty flavour balanced with subtle hoppiness; a bit more bitterness comes through late on and lingers nicely. Although a pleasant brew, it's quite lightweight for a winter seasonal beer compared to most other offerings around.

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%

I decide to start my night with the cask offering, and in the beginning it's quite an experience. The pint is a murky brown which transforms into a hazy, deep amber as I hold it up to the light. The big fawn head dimples in a distinctively uniform way that leaves no chance for chunks or hummocks to form. The scent is nicely spicy, with some cloves and nutmeg showing through. A strong current of hoppiness cuts straight through the smell, and although it is penetrating it seems to be perfectly balanced with the spices.

My reaction to the first mouthfull is a big "HOLY S**T!!!" It seems that a huge, round wave fills my mouth with an overwhelming array of tastes and sensations. As with the smell, there seems to be a duality in the hops; they're sharp yet not at all overbearing, and they contribute to an almost metallic yet pleasant astringency. As I eagerly drain the pint further a thick marshmallow-like sheet, too solid to be called lacing, coats the glass.

After my first few swallows the taste already begins to dwindle, but at this point I can still easily make out stages. First there's a smooth, creamy, mouth-filling wave which even now begins to seem watery. Then comes a frisson of bitterness at the back of my tongue which spreads out and informs the finish.

By the time I'm halfway through the glass this beer seems much weaker and I'm not getting all the flavors I got in the beginning. This causes the hop bite, similar to that of Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale, to show through a bit more. I'm still getting that wonderful creaminess that reminds me somewhat of Northampton 80 Shilling, but this doesn't save it from becoming less drinkable with each sip. Perhaps all the spices were floating on top? In any event, it's disappointing that my interest waned during the course of the pint, but it was still an interesting experience that makes me want to explore more cask ales.

3.84/5  rDev +9.7%

I thought this was a very nice amber ale. I knew it wasn't going to be a brut, but this beer had lots of flavor. I especially like the way it looked- crisp amber tone with a nice head that stayed though until the end. Not much in the way of smell- but a good deal of flavor. Malty and chewy with a touch of caramel sweetness, but with enough hops to balance it out. A good winter beer without the spice- not too powerful. Just right.

Blue Point Winter Ale from Blue Point Brewing Company