Blue Point (Sour) Cherry Imperial Stout - Blue Point Brewing Company

New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: plaid75 on 05-27-2006

1.92/5  rDev -49.1%

Shared by capra12 at a recent tasting. Poured from a 32oz. growler into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Moderate pour yields a 2.5 finger light, fine, milk chocolate head with good retention. Beer is near opaque but as I hold it up to the light, I get a nice amber quality. Lacing is spotty and string but with nice stick.

S: Burnt rubber, toasted malts, coconut, and very medicinal. Smells like the syrup I used to have to eat as a kid when I got sick so all of a sudden, I'm not exactly dying to put this to my lips.

T: The first thing I get here is a thick, artificially sweetened medicinal candied cherry quality that completely ruins it for me. I thought this was a SOUR cherry imperial stout... so where is the sour? Where is the stout? Slight bit of cocoa but that's about it. Instead, this one's dominated by a rancid cherry flavor as well as a melted plastic taste that lingers much to long into the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, but the carbonation fades very quickly in the mouth, leaving this one lifeless. Finish is incredibly messy as it assaults the senses and refuses to go away.

D: You couldn't pay me to drink more of this. The medicinal quality is overwhelming here and it makes me cringe every time I put it to my nose and lips. This beer sounds incredibly intriguing but the execution is way off base. Skip it. (1,359 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A dark brown, near black, body with a fizzy brown head that falls quickly. Nothing special to look at.

The nose has an odd metallic note along with a cherry/vanilla aroma. The cherry notes are almost sweet, like maraschino, as opposed to sour. I also get a faint metallic note. Not off to a good start here...

No sour cherry, but plenty of sweet cherry/vanilla. Almost like a cherry--vanilla milk stout. Some extremely mild roast and metallic notes poke through. As it warms, the metallic notes seem to fade a bit, but it doesn't help this guy.

Medium body, smooth and creamy. Easily the best thing this beer has going for it.

I didn't get sour cherries at all and that is a major disappointment. This beer just straight up failed to deliver. (781 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

I always hate giving bad reviews to breweries that, only in my opinion, are solid. Others may like this brew, but if I am being honest - and that is the point - this beer is way short of their standard.

Upon first taste I thought I had been given the wrong beer - not even close to what I was expecting.

The appearence was dark with a minimal head. The smell was very smoky - so much so that it was all I got. The smokiness continued in the taste department. Maybe the amount of that flavor overwhelmed the cherry flavor, but I picked up zero, zilch in the way of cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was bland, almost oily. Not drinkable at all. Sorry, but I look forward to more solid offerings from Blue Point. (703 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -30%

This is a very nice looking beer. Overall it didn't work for me. I was hoping the sour cherry would help balance the sweetness of the malts used for the stout; however, the cherry added more sweetness and reminded me of sweet stout with cough medicene. I think it needed more bittering hops and maybe a different type of cherry if fresh cherries were used. (356 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Bomber into a tulip, the brew pours black in color with a khaki finger of head. The cap displays decent retention but as it fades leaves a webby pattern of lacing effect on the glass.

The smell includes noted of cocoa and some earthy roasted grain aspect. A little bit of dirty to vegetative character emerges in the nose across the back and increases in character as it warms up. Overall the smell of this is quite yeasty.

The flavor includes cocoa and chocolate grain, mild roast. Quite an abundant amount of yeast fills the profile with some mineral elements that are not that enjoyable. This is a marginal stout with some off character. Where are these mentioned cherries? Sour what?

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. This has a well masked alcohol inclusion but is certainly not tart nor sour at all. The overall yeastiness and mineral aspect found in this brew make consumption a bit of a chore. With or without the advertised cherry character I would avoid this one. (1,008 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Nice n' dark it pours with a two finger tan head. Splitting this with my gal in 15 cl St. Bernardus snifters. The nose has hints of chocolates and a woody-fruity nose.

My girlfriend picked this out and I was pleased to try it as she usually passes up on anything that is a stout and above 6% ABV. It intrigued her so I obliged. Tastes as if it is a RIS made with some strain of Belgian ale yeast. If that were its billing, that would make total sense and I think I would be a bit more receptive to it. Not sure I get the sour cherry per se, although I definitely perceive sourness. If I was asked, though, which fruit was in this, I might guess cherry; I might guess something entirely different. Chocolatey and fair malt profile but a bit on the thin side. I'm curious if there was a sugar addition because it is quite light but still has a sufficient alcohol %. On the other hand, it is drinkable and that is nice.

This is not bad but it isn't great either. I can think of too many stouts in this category that are well worth the bother and calorie expenditure. So for me, something this nondescript claiming to have some signature quality (i.e., sour cherry) is a bit of a let down.

I'd say if you are offered a glass, it is worth trying and, if you like stouts, you should find it drinkable. But if you are looking for an interesting riff on the style, this is probably not it for you. (1,395 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured a dark brown into a teku with lots of carbonation. Way too carved for the style.

The smell is the best part of the beer. Standard imperial stout nose of dark chocolate and coffee with a touch of roast and cherry in the end.

The taste falls flat. It is like coder flavored cherry cola and makes no sense.

The mouthfeel is so heavily carbonated, moreso than even a Belgian style stout. It's frothy and creates a thin palate.

This was certainly not the worst beer I've ever had but I would look elsewhere. And ten bucks for a number? Very disappointed. (560 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

I picked this Blue Point Imperial Stout in a 32 oz growler. It poured a dark brown with a very thin head that did not stick around for too long.

The nose is of malt and chocolate, with a very faint note of cherry.

The taste is not as robust as I like in my imperial stouts but it is smooth and hints of chocolate and cherry with a sour/bitter finish on the back of the palate. As the brew warmed up I kept getting a cherry cola flavor in the middle just before the sour finish.

The mouthfeel was thinner then I like in an imperial stout but not unpleasant. Having come from a growler there was very minimal carbonation. Just enough not to be flat.

Overall, this is not a bad beer but not one of my sought after favorites. I liked trying it but I won't be looking for it again. (780 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Alrighty, poured into the Duvel tulip and it produces a decent dark khacki head that doesn't stick around too long. Pretty much your standard opaque black heavy stout as far as color goes. The nose, hmmmm I get a whiff of sourness I'm assuming is from the cherry addition but barely any true fruit aromas. Beyond that is a medium roasty note...that's all I get. I like the mouthfeel, smooth and not super carbonated. The taste is comprised of roasted malt with verrry slight cherry sourness...I get a hint of phenols too...I will say the 9% ABV really isn't a throat burner. It's finishing more like a robust Porter than an Imp Stout. I expected a bit more "bigness" in all areas with this one. This is a one timer for me. (722 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Reviewed on 8/9/08. On tap at the brewery. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt. Flavor of roasted malt, parmesean cheese, faint sweet medicinal cherries, and nuts. A bit heavy with a roasty finish. Not bad, actually, and much tastier than the regular stout.
6/4/7/3/13 (3.3/5) (303 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Dark brown, blackish body with slight tan, cream colored head. Lacing was fairly good with defined lacing rings.

S: Strong alcoholic smell with nuances of coffee and dark chocolate.

T: Overwhelming taste of alcohol with taste of chocolate with vague hints of cherry, far less that I would have expected.

M: Light to medium bodied, average carbonation for stout.

D: Fairly easy beer to drink, though it takes a few sips of the beer to fully appreciate what you are drinking. (480 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13%

Blue Point Sour Cherry, on cask at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, part of a Blue Point event there.

Appearance: Served in a 14-oz pint, comes with a classic stout look- massive, frothy mocha-colored head with great retention. Lasts and lasts! Color is black and then some. No room for nuances here.

Smell: As with many casks, the smell is just not there. A hint of coffee, some brown sugar, end of the story. A tad of sour funk, cow pen and horse piss.

Taste: Very smooth and easy, sort of like drinking cold chocolate milk. A coffee finish, but no hint of sourness, cherry or else. Distant aromas of overdressed salad drowning in a soy-yuzu vinaigrette.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy and smooth (almost too much so). Absolutely no carbonation, beyond anything I've experienced in other cask imperial stouts. Very pleasant to drink, but needs more "oomph!". Medium body and flavor, chocolaty finish.

Overall: Drinkability is WOW. I could chug this all day. No trace of the almost 10% ABV. Totally poundable. But really, is this a good thing? Or a disappointment? I certainly expect more from an Imperial Stout. This is not a stop-you-in-your-tracks beer, but it is pleasant enough and I'd have it again. Would like to try the fresh draft version too. (1,259 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Super super dark brown with a thin brown head that fades extremely quickly. Smells faintly of a chocolate shop or one of those dark chocolate covered cherry candies. Nice sweet smell but has roasty burnt malts as the dominate smell with some coffee as well.

Pretty good and pretty standard as far as imperial stouts go, definitely sweeter though and without enough bitterness. I would sooner call this an american double stout rather than a russian imperial one, hops are low on this. Nice roasted coffee flavor through out, sweet chocolate and dark chocolate flavors. Cherry flavor is extremely subtle but it's there. Sourness is there in a weird acidic flash on the back of the tongue with the swallow. There is a nice cherry flavor that lingers on the tip of the tongue. It's a pretty good beer but dont expect a lot of sour or cherry flavor if thats what your looking for but it is there. Actually with each sip, the lingering flavor tastes more and more like a dark chocolate covered candied cherry. Body is a little thin though and the beer gets a little acidic. (1,069 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

A. Served on tap into a glass. Dark brown with a light light brown head. Some lace.

S. Weak roasted malts, some alcohal. Fruity estesrs.

T. Like a low grade stout. The cherry flavor is missing, which I saw as a plus actually. It would be more memorable if there was a stronger cherry taste. A slight alcohal presence is noted. Roasted coffee.

M. Full bodied and thick.

D. Pretty good, but there are much better examples of the style. At such a high ABV, its kind of a waste of face. (486 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

this is one of bluepoints unbottled beers and can normally only be found at the brewery, I found it on growler at Big Z beverage. It pour dark brown/black with a small tan head. alot of roasted malt coffee flavor and smell. I didnt really get many cherries on the nose, if any. Taste is good, better then most stouts and at 9% alcohol it sneaks up on you. no alcohol taste which is a plus. I remembered this beer being better, but it was still good. I wish the cherry taste was a little more pronounced but then again too many cherries are worse, a la cherry wheat by sam adams. If you like stouts, and its around, try it. (622 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Poured a deep black hue, with a one finger caramel creamy head.

The smell was dominated by a heavy coffee and alcohol aroma. A faint hint of cherry was apparent.

The taste was dominated by a coffee flavor as well. There was a definite alcohol burn. Again, a faint hint of cherry tartness was detected.

The mouthfeel was full. A mild alcohol presence.

Overall a nice Imperial Stout. In my opinion, it could have used a bit more of a cherry taste. Otherwise, a good example of the style. (497 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -8.2%

Had on tap today at Fireworks in Arlington, VA at their Blue Point Steal the Pint night. Served in a tulip.

a - Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with one finger of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of roasted malts, metal, light sour cherries and dark fruits, and bitter dark chocolate. At first there was a weird metallic smell, but as it warmed up it got much better, and more dark fruits came out. Bumped it back up from a 2.5 to a 3.0.

t - Tastes of dark chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, lightly bitter hops, and dark fruits, though not very sour. No metal at all, much better than the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth body and no alcohol evident.

o - Overall a decent beer. The nose was weird and metallic at first, but got a ton better. Not overly sour but a good beer, worth checking out once. (872 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three finger tan head from a solid pour. Jet black brew. Decent retention and fluffy lacing that slides down the glass.

Roasted chocolate malt aroma, just a hint of cherry or grape tartness. Wheat, and milk or cream.

There's a definite tartness and it is far more sour than I expected. Coffee does not hit until the midtongue, and the cocoa is on the back end only. Not the flavor profile that I expected, and not one that is great.

Slightly chewy, but a little bit light for the style. Overall medium mouthfeel. No hint of alcohol. No sting, and no bite.

I'm very disappointed. This is simply a mediocre beer. It's not bad, but I feel the tartness does not work. Further, it's not a good stout by itself. Not terrible, but I recommend you skip this one. (758 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Dark roasted malt, sweet and dark chocolate dominate. Very smooth. The cherries are present in the aftertaste, but are not as strong a flavor as I would have liked. An above average beer. (190 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I had a twelve ounce glass of this at the Amsterdam Ale House in New York City. I really didn't detect any cherry or sourness at all. I think one gets the impression that it's supposed to be a sour beer/stout? But I think the sour refers to the cherry and not the beer. Anyway, pretty much a standard imperial stout and not up there with the best of them in my opinion.

Dark brown/black color with a dark (ok, maybe reddish) head. Aroma is roasty with a little hops. Flavor, again, roasty with some bitterness. Overall, not a bad stout. Just not a favorite. (558 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Notes are from 5/30

Though black as night and opaque, the look doesn't imply heaviness in the body, per se. The off-white head is barely less than one finger tall with good retention and strong patchy lacing that sticks well.
Overall, this beer shares the same character in aroma and flavor. It's heavily roasted with the cherry notes focusing as sour rather than sweet, though it brings a little of that. Lots of char lingers in the heavy dark malts. I would call the cherry underused rather than subtle, which is an important distinction, though it is there. There's a bit of cocoa powder and caramel in the malts presence, and a dry sort of bitterness throughout. Alcohol isn't too hot but definitely shows itself. I get fruity esters and the like in a lot of beers, but in this one they get a little too strong, distracting and offensive in an otherwise good stout.
Carbonation is light, at a good low level for the style, and with an adequate light crispness. This stout is light in body, though, on the bigger side of medium without the depth to hold it up. It's also shy of clean, scraping the tongue just a little as it goes. It's relatively smooth, though, and it moves fairly well. (1,192 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

Black as night. The head was small and the lacing doesn't take much effect. Looks okay in my new Courvoisier snifter glass (Xmas present).

The aroma is a little muddled. Some tanginess in a berry sense. Cherry? Yeah, it's there. There's also some medicinal aromas permeating.

Lightly tart black cherry and sour grape flavors. Reminds me of a wine barrel-aged stout. There are also some rich malty roast flavors; dark chocolate, burnt grain, and reduced caramel syrup. Not too sweet. Contrastingly, a bit too tangy. Maybe it should have just been more tart. I still like drinking this.

The feel is the winner here. No stick, no pucker; just a smooth and soft body with nice thickening and an appropriate light carbonation. Silky. Alcohol was also very well-maintained here.

Cherry had a strange presence here, and I wouldn't call it 'sour'. It's an average to above-average Imperial Stout, overall. (901 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at the Pour House, Westmont, NJ

Poured into a stem glass, dark black with a small brownish head. Aroma of dark, roasted malts, and some chocolate. Not too much cherry in the nose. Roasty caramel malts in the taste, some dark chocolate, and disappointingly very little cherry flavor to the point where it was almost unnoticeable. A little sourness I guess, but nothing distinct. Almost makes me think I was poured the wrong beer, but it's what the tap handle said. Still a fine stout, heavy-medium mouthfeel and average drinkability. (551 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from tap into pint at sharkeys in Radford VA. Deep brown pour with no head. Roasted malt and chocolate sweetness aroma..something fruity as well.
Taste is almost tropical. .like a frozen drink on the beach in the carribean...coconut and fruit mixed with chocolate and roasted malt. I dont know weather to put it in the cellar or put an umbrella in it. I mean its tasty but a bit too strange or sweet. Really smooth though.
Decent brew...just want it actually sour not just with cherries added... (504 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Creamy, khaki colored head sits for several minutes after pour. Leaves silky film after each sip. Body is black with a dark brown hue.

S: Potent aroma of real cherry, so heavy it blankets any other smells. There is a medicinal, cough drop presence.

T: Cherry through out, with hint of milk chocolate on the back end. Straight forward in taste, not complex by any means.

M: Full bodied with a silky smooth touch. A slight bubbly carbonation feel lets the flavors shine.

O: Not in love but still impressed. For the style it is spot on. Rich body with full flavor, smooth and drinkable, not filling. (633 characters)

Blue Point (Sour) Cherry Imperial Stout from Blue Point Brewing Company