Blue Point (Sour) Cherry Imperial Stout - Blue Point Brewing Company

New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Sour Cherry Imperial Stout = Cherry Imperial Stout
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /764/40597

(Beer added by: plaid75 on 05-27-2006)
ThatsThatDude

Maryland

05-01-2013 15:55:01 | More by Gatordaddy
SpeedwayJim

1.88/5  rDev -49.2%

Shared by capra12 at a recent tasting. Poured from a 32oz. growler into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Moderate pour yields a 2.5 finger light, fine, milk chocolate head with good retention. Beer is near opaque but as I hold it up to the light, I get a nice amber quality. Lacing is spotty and string but with nice stick.

S: Burnt rubber, toasted malts, coconut, and very medicinal. Smells like the syrup I used to have to eat as a kid when I got sick so all of a sudden, I'm not exactly dying to put this to my lips.

T: The first thing I get here is a thick, artificially sweetened medicinal candied cherry quality that completely ruins it for me. I thought this was a SOUR cherry imperial stout... so where is the sour? Where is the stout? Slight bit of cocoa but that's about it. Instead, this one's dominated by a rancid cherry flavor as well as a melted plastic taste that lingers much to long into the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, but the carbonation fades very quickly in the mouth, leaving this one lifeless. Finish is incredibly messy as it assaults the senses and refuses to go away.

D: You couldn't pay me to drink more of this. The medicinal quality is overwhelming here and it makes me cringe every time I put it to my nose and lips. This beer sounds incredibly intriguing but the execution is way off base. Skip it.

04-10-2010 12:57:14 | More by SpeedwayJim

08-05-2012 04:03:06 | More by PJF12866
ColForbinBC

2.49/5  rDev -32.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A dark brown, near black, body with a fizzy brown head that falls quickly. Nothing special to look at.

The nose has an odd metallic note along with a cherry/vanilla aroma. The cherry notes are almost sweet, like maraschino, as opposed to sour. I also get a faint metallic note. Not off to a good start here...

No sour cherry, but plenty of sweet cherry/vanilla. Almost like a cherry--vanilla milk stout. Some extremely mild roast and metallic notes poke through. As it warms, the metallic notes seem to fade a bit, but it doesn't help this guy.

Medium body, smooth and creamy. Easily the best thing this beer has going for it.

I didn't get sour cherries at all and that is a major disappointment. This beer just straight up failed to deliver.

02-12-2013 19:01:09 | More by ColForbinBC
doho95fu

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%

I always hate giving bad reviews to breweries that, only in my opinion, are solid. Others may like this brew, but if I am being honest - and that is the point - this beer is way short of their standard.

Upon first taste I thought I had been given the wrong beer - not even close to what I was expecting.

The appearence was dark with a minimal head. The smell was very smoky - so much so that it was all I got. The smokiness continued in the taste department. Maybe the amount of that flavor overwhelmed the cherry flavor, but I picked up zero, zilch in the way of cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was bland, almost oily. Not drinkable at all. Sorry, but I look forward to more solid offerings from Blue Point.

09-19-2008 18:38:28 | More by doho95fu
alexkeil

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

This is a very nice looking beer. Overall it didn't work for me. I was hoping the sour cherry would help balance the sweetness of the malts used for the stout; however, the cherry added more sweetness and reminded me of sweet stout with cough medicene. I think it needed more bittering hops and maybe a different type of cherry if fresh cherries were used.

03-31-2012 14:07:46 | More by alexkeil

ejimhof

05-04-2013 22:12:52 | More by ejimhof
stakem

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

Bomber into a tulip, the brew pours black in color with a khaki finger of head. The cap displays decent retention but as it fades leaves a webby pattern of lacing effect on the glass.

The smell includes noted of cocoa and some earthy roasted grain aspect. A little bit of dirty to vegetative character emerges in the nose across the back and increases in character as it warms up. Overall the smell of this is quite yeasty.

The flavor includes cocoa and chocolate grain, mild roast. Quite an abundant amount of yeast fills the profile with some mineral elements that are not that enjoyable. This is a marginal stout with some off character. Where are these mentioned cherries? Sour what?

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. This has a well masked alcohol inclusion but is certainly not tart nor sour at all. The overall yeastiness and mineral aspect found in this brew make consumption a bit of a chore. With or without the advertised cherry character I would avoid this one.

03-07-2013 18:37:20 | More by stakem

BMart

05-08-2013 18:48:17 | More by BMart
Zraly

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

Nice n' dark it pours with a two finger tan head. Splitting this with my gal in 15 cl St. Bernardus snifters. The nose has hints of chocolates and a woody-fruity nose.

My girlfriend picked this out and I was pleased to try it as she usually passes up on anything that is a stout and above 6% ABV. It intrigued her so I obliged. Tastes as if it is a RIS made with some strain of Belgian ale yeast. If that were its billing, that would make total sense and I think I would be a bit more receptive to it. Not sure I get the sour cherry per se, although I definitely perceive sourness. If I was asked, though, which fruit was in this, I might guess cherry; I might guess something entirely different. Chocolatey and fair malt profile but a bit on the thin side. I'm curious if there was a sugar addition because it is quite light but still has a sufficient alcohol %. On the other hand, it is drinkable and that is nice.

This is not bad but it isn't great either. I can think of too many stouts in this category that are well worth the bother and calorie expenditure. So for me, something this nondescript claiming to have some signature quality (i.e., sour cherry) is a bit of a let down.

I'd say if you are offered a glass, it is worth trying and, if you like stouts, you should find it drinkable. But if you are looking for an interesting riff on the style, this is probably not it for you.

02-16-2014 00:13:28 | More by Zraly