Blue Point (Sour) Cherry Imperial Stout - Blue Point Brewing Company

Beer added by: plaid75 on 05-27-2006

Sour Cherry Imperial Stout = Cherry Imperial Stout
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /764/40597

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Creamy, khaki colored head sits for several minutes after pour. Leaves silky film after each sip. Body is black with a dark brown hue.

S: Potent aroma of real cherry, so heavy it blankets any other smells. There is a medicinal, cough drop presence.

T: Cherry through out, with hint of milk chocolate on the back end. Straight forward in taste, not complex by any means.

M: Full bodied with a silky smooth touch. A slight bubbly carbonation feel lets the flavors shine.

O: Not in love but still impressed. For the style it is spot on. Rich body with full flavor, smooth and drinkable, not filling.

4.33/5  rDev +17%

I tried this beer on tap at the Blue Point Brewery on Long Island.

A: The beer was black. It truly had a “Imperial” vibe.

S: Malt, taste of chocolate and coffee

T: Dark malt taste with a slight cherry taste on the back of pallet.

M: This is a great beer, nice heavy (full) mouthfeel.

O: This is a unique beer. I really enjoyed it, although the cherry taste tasted slightly like syrup.

4.85/5  rDev +31.1%

Had this beer at Bobbique in a pint glass. The beer is dark as midnight with a slight reddish tinge. The head is tan with again a slight reddish tinge. The aroma is of chocolate with a hint of cherry. The first sip is heavy and thick with flavors of milk chocolate, cocoa, and a hint of cherry. Don't let the name fool you, this beer is not sour or bitter at all. Making it a fantastic beer that went very well with the BBQ combo platter we had.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

A - great deep brown/black with brown highlights. Briliant foamy head from the pump action of cask, head has great retention but low lace. Head is a nice brown.

S- notes if bitter chocolate and roastyness. Sweet malty smell with notes of nuttyness. Also hints of coffee beans.

T- a nice char and smokey taste, slight cherry tartness but nice coffee bitterness.

M- really nice and smooth. Great coating feeling and lingering taste. Lack of carvonarion due to cask actualy helps to apreciate some of the more subtle flavors.

O- great beer, even better on cask. The warmth and lack of carb changes the drinking experience for the better. The slight cherry bitteness is more noticable and has great drinkability.

---Rated via Beer's Advocate for iPhone

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer was pumped from a cask at the Tap & Table before it closed up. The beer was brought over to me and I was surprised that I was almost able to see through it. So the color is a deep brown with a thin creamy tan colored head on top. The smell of the beer has a faint amount of cherry on the nose. Very subtle but nice. The taste is really nice too some roasted malts with a super light cherry flavor in there. The mouthfeel was thin but still had a little creaminess to it. Overall I don't feel that this is a RIS. However, whatever it may be I found it to be quite good. I actually ordered a second one right after the first, which for me is a very rare thing.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Blue Point Sour Cherry, on cask at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, part of a Blue Point event there.

Appearance: Served in a 14-oz pint, comes with a classic stout look- massive, frothy mocha-colored head with great retention. Lasts and lasts! Color is black and then some. No room for nuances here.

Smell: As with many casks, the smell is just not there. A hint of coffee, some brown sugar, end of the story. A tad of sour funk, cow pen and horse piss.

Taste: Very smooth and easy, sort of like drinking cold chocolate milk. A coffee finish, but no hint of sourness, cherry or else. Distant aromas of overdressed salad drowning in a soy-yuzu vinaigrette.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy and smooth (almost too much so). Absolutely no carbonation, beyond anything I've experienced in other cask imperial stouts. Very pleasant to drink, but needs more "oomph!". Medium body and flavor, chocolaty finish.

Overall: Drinkability is WOW. I could chug this all day. No trace of the almost 10% ABV. Totally poundable. But really, is this a good thing? Or a disappointment? I certainly expect more from an Imperial Stout. This is not a stop-you-in-your-tracks beer, but it is pleasant enough and I'd have it again. Would like to try the fresh draft version too.

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%

I picked this Blue Point Imperial Stout in a 32 oz growler. It poured a dark brown with a very thin head that did not stick around for too long.

The nose is of malt and chocolate, with a very faint note of cherry.

The taste is not as robust as I like in my imperial stouts but it is smooth and hints of chocolate and cherry with a sour/bitter finish on the back of the palate. As the brew warmed up I kept getting a cherry cola flavor in the middle just before the sour finish.

The mouthfeel was thinner then I like in an imperial stout but not unpleasant. Having come from a growler there was very minimal carbonation. Just enough not to be flat.

Overall, this is not a bad beer but not one of my sought after favorites. I liked trying it but I won't be looking for it again.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Pours a rich dark black color with a bit of red mixed in and a finger of frothy tan head atop. The head lingers around for a while before fading down to a frothy ring leaving behind a bit of lacing.

S - Aroma is full of deep roasted malts and chocolate aromas. There is also some nice sour cherry aroma as well that gets stronger as the beer warms.

T - Starts off with some sour cherry flavor and some roasted chocolate and malt flavor. Through the middle, some stronger sour flavor and some sweet caramel flavor comes through. The finish is a nice mix of sour cherry and chocolate flavor that lingers nicely.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate-low carbonation. The sour flavor works rather nicely with the rest of the flavors in the beer, especially as the beer finishes.

D - Very drinkable. Would have liked the cherry flavor to hit just a bit heavier, but as it is it is nicely balanced with the chocolate and roasted flavors.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at the Pour House, Westmont, NJ

Poured into a stem glass, dark black with a small brownish head. Aroma of dark, roasted malts, and some chocolate. Not too much cherry in the nose. Roasty caramel malts in the taste, some dark chocolate, and disappointingly very little cherry flavor to the point where it was almost unnoticeable. A little sourness I guess, but nothing distinct. Almost makes me think I was poured the wrong beer, but it's what the tap handle said. Still a fine stout, heavy-medium mouthfeel and average drinkability.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Swung by the brewery after work to check things out and it was hopping. Beer was as dark as you would expect and tasted of roasted malts with a tingle of cherry. Alc was present as was a touch of sourness. Smell was also dominated by roasted malts and a touch of cherry. Great beer & glad I got a sample. Beer was smooth and left a tingle in my mouth.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Pours black with some red hue to the top. Some lacing int he galss.

S - Smells of roasted malt and notes of chocolate, brown sugar, and of course, cherries.

T - The taste is like biting into a black forest cake. The sour cherries add some tartness to the finish. This hearty stout is complex and very enjoyable.

M - A bit harsh. Not the smoothest stout and over time the cherries become a bit much. I'd leave this at one glass.

O - A great RIS to try once. I've had this twice at the brewery and it has been consistently good both times.

Had on tap, fresh at the brewery. Had it in those tasting cups the brewery provides. I had about a pints worth, so I think this is enough to review.

300th review!

Look: black bodied with some creamy, fluffy off white head with excellent retention and good lacing. Held to the light, it appears closer to brown than black with some red highlights.

Smell: roasted grain, caramel and a bit of cherry along with a hint of alcohol.

Taste: hints of chocolate, coffee, alcohol warmth, and a mild cherry finish. Since I'm not a huge fan of cherry, the amount of cherry works nicely. Its very sweet though and I think this could benefit from some more attenuation.

Feel: smooth, warm from the alcohol, full bodied, a little cloying, and mildly carbonated.

Drinkability: fairly easy drinking. I don't think I would get more than a pint of this though.

Overall Impression: decent but nothing about this is exceptional and nothing about it really makes me want to try it again. Its worth a try though and I wouldn't be put off by the cherry taste, since its kind of subdued. Cheers!

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a thin off white head.
S: There are light aromas of dark malts in the nose along with some hints of cherries.
T: The taste has flavors of dark malts with a slight amount of roasted malts. There are notes of sour cherries in the finish along with some hints of alcohol.
M: It feels medium-bodied, smooth and somewhat thick on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is easy to drink considering its strength and the subtle flavors of sour cherries make the taste rather interesting.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

We were fortunate enough to get our hands on a half-barrel of this stout at my job. I was decently impressed and it seems to be a hit with our growler customers.

Appearance: Very, very dark brown (almost, but not quite black) with a light tan head that sticks around for a bit.

Smell: I get a very faint impression from the cherry, but mainly chocolates and a bit of toffee. Not overly aromatic which disappointed me a bit.

Taste: At first sip I was surprised by an almost NyQuil-like cherry flavor that was almost suddenly masked by rich chocolate and roasted barley. It is enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but I would have suggested that the brewers focused more on the cherry flavors... where's the 'sour'? Overall a nice stout- not too sweet, which is a problem that I have with a lot of Russian Imperial Stouts.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I normally like a Russian Imperial Stout, but by no means watered down. Not syrupy like some beers of the same style, which I like.

Drinkability: Pretty good! I could see myself bringing this to a friend's house to enjoy after dinner. Decent taste (as long as you weren't hoping for a huge cherry sensation). It wouldn't be a regular choice of RIS for me, but I'd definitely give it another go.

Blue Point (Sour) Cherry Imperial Stout from Blue Point Brewing Company