Blue Point (Sour) Cherry Imperial Stout - Blue Point Brewing Company

New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Sour Cherry Imperial Stout = Cherry Imperial Stout
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /764/40597

(Beer added by: plaid75 on 05-27-2006)

doof116, Dec 11, 2011

MystikCelt, Dec 05, 2011

Burt, Nov 26, 2011

Amalak, Nov 20, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

A - great deep brown/black with brown highlights. Briliant foamy head from the pump action of cask, head has great retention but low lace. Head is a nice brown.

S- notes if bitter chocolate and roastyness. Sweet malty smell with notes of nuttyness. Also hints of coffee beans.

T- a nice char and smokey taste, slight cherry tartness but nice coffee bitterness.

M- really nice and smooth. Great coating feeling and lingering taste. Lack of carvonarion due to cask actualy helps to apreciate some of the more subtle flavors.

O- great beer, even better on cask. The warmth and lack of carb changes the drinking experience for the better. The slight cherry bitteness is more noticable and has great drinkability.

---Rated via Beer's Advocate for iPhone

vfgccp, Nov 03, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer was pumped from a cask at the Tap & Table before it closed up. The beer was brought over to me and I was surprised that I was almost able to see through it. So the color is a deep brown with a thin creamy tan colored head on top. The smell of the beer has a faint amount of cherry on the nose. Very subtle but nice. The taste is really nice too some roasted malts with a super light cherry flavor in there. The mouthfeel was thin but still had a little creaminess to it. Overall I don't feel that this is a RIS. However, whatever it may be I found it to be quite good. I actually ordered a second one right after the first, which for me is a very rare thing.

Knapp85, Jul 22, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

Blue Point Sour Cherry, on cask at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, part of a Blue Point event there.

Appearance: Served in a 14-oz pint, comes with a classic stout look- massive, frothy mocha-colored head with great retention. Lasts and lasts! Color is black and then some. No room for nuances here.

Smell: As with many casks, the smell is just not there. A hint of coffee, some brown sugar, end of the story. A tad of sour funk, cow pen and horse piss.

Taste: Very smooth and easy, sort of like drinking cold chocolate milk. A coffee finish, but no hint of sourness, cherry or else. Distant aromas of overdressed salad drowning in a soy-yuzu vinaigrette.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy and smooth (almost too much so). Absolutely no carbonation, beyond anything I've experienced in other cask imperial stouts. Very pleasant to drink, but needs more "oomph!". Medium body and flavor, chocolaty finish.

Overall: Drinkability is WOW. I could chug this all day. No trace of the almost 10% ABV. Totally poundable. But really, is this a good thing? Or a disappointment? I certainly expect more from an Imperial Stout. This is not a stop-you-in-your-tracks beer, but it is pleasant enough and I'd have it again. Would like to try the fresh draft version too.

DoubleSimcoe, Jun 20, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -16%

I picked this Blue Point Imperial Stout in a 32 oz growler. It poured a dark brown with a very thin head that did not stick around for too long.

The nose is of malt and chocolate, with a very faint note of cherry.

The taste is not as robust as I like in my imperial stouts but it is smooth and hints of chocolate and cherry with a sour/bitter finish on the back of the palate. As the brew warmed up I kept getting a cherry cola flavor in the middle just before the sour finish.

The mouthfeel was thinner then I like in an imperial stout but not unpleasant. Having come from a growler there was very minimal carbonation. Just enough not to be flat.

Overall, this is not a bad beer but not one of my sought after favorites. I liked trying it but I won't be looking for it again.

AnPiobaire, Jun 17, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Pours a rich dark black color with a bit of red mixed in and a finger of frothy tan head atop. The head lingers around for a while before fading down to a frothy ring leaving behind a bit of lacing.

S - Aroma is full of deep roasted malts and chocolate aromas. There is also some nice sour cherry aroma as well that gets stronger as the beer warms.

T - Starts off with some sour cherry flavor and some roasted chocolate and malt flavor. Through the middle, some stronger sour flavor and some sweet caramel flavor comes through. The finish is a nice mix of sour cherry and chocolate flavor that lingers nicely.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate-low carbonation. The sour flavor works rather nicely with the rest of the flavors in the beer, especially as the beer finishes.

D - Very drinkable. Would have liked the cherry flavor to hit just a bit heavier, but as it is it is nicely balanced with the chocolate and roasted flavors.

ngeunit1, May 31, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at the Pour House, Westmont, NJ

Poured into a stem glass, dark black with a small brownish head. Aroma of dark, roasted malts, and some chocolate. Not too much cherry in the nose. Roasty caramel malts in the taste, some dark chocolate, and disappointingly very little cherry flavor to the point where it was almost unnoticeable. A little sourness I guess, but nothing distinct. Almost makes me think I was poured the wrong beer, but it's what the tap handle said. Still a fine stout, heavy-medium mouthfeel and average drinkability.

Rifugium, May 03, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Swung by the brewery after work to check things out and it was hopping. Beer was as dark as you would expect and tasted of roasted malts with a tingle of cherry. Alc was present as was a touch of sourness. Smell was also dominated by roasted malts and a touch of cherry. Great beer & glad I got a sample. Beer was smooth and left a tingle in my mouth.

cosmicevan, Apr 22, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Pours black with some red hue to the top. Some lacing int he galss.

S - Smells of roasted malt and notes of chocolate, brown sugar, and of course, cherries.

T - The taste is like biting into a black forest cake. The sour cherries add some tartness to the finish. This hearty stout is complex and very enjoyable.

M - A bit harsh. Not the smoothest stout and over time the cherries become a bit much. I'd leave this at one glass.

O - A great RIS to try once. I've had this twice at the brewery and it has been consistently good both times.

socon67, Apr 11, 2011

Had on tap, fresh at the brewery. Had it in those tasting cups the brewery provides. I had about a pints worth, so I think this is enough to review.

300th review!

Look: black bodied with some creamy, fluffy off white head with excellent retention and good lacing. Held to the light, it appears closer to brown than black with some red highlights.

Smell: roasted grain, caramel and a bit of cherry along with a hint of alcohol.

Taste: hints of chocolate, coffee, alcohol warmth, and a mild cherry finish. Since I'm not a huge fan of cherry, the amount of cherry works nicely. Its very sweet though and I think this could benefit from some more attenuation.

Feel: smooth, warm from the alcohol, full bodied, a little cloying, and mildly carbonated.

Drinkability: fairly easy drinking. I don't think I would get more than a pint of this though.

Overall Impression: decent but nothing about this is exceptional and nothing about it really makes me want to try it again. Its worth a try though and I wouldn't be put off by the cherry taste, since its kind of subdued. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Apr 03, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +3%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a thin off white head.
S: There are light aromas of dark malts in the nose along with some hints of cherries.
T: The taste has flavors of dark malts with a slight amount of roasted malts. There are notes of sour cherries in the finish along with some hints of alcohol.
M: It feels medium-bodied, smooth and somewhat thick on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is easy to drink considering its strength and the subtle flavors of sour cherries make the taste rather interesting.

metter98, Mar 08, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

We were fortunate enough to get our hands on a half-barrel of this stout at my job. I was decently impressed and it seems to be a hit with our growler customers.

Appearance: Very, very dark brown (almost, but not quite black) with a light tan head that sticks around for a bit.

Smell: I get a very faint impression from the cherry, but mainly chocolates and a bit of toffee. Not overly aromatic which disappointed me a bit.

Taste: At first sip I was surprised by an almost NyQuil-like cherry flavor that was almost suddenly masked by rich chocolate and roasted barley. It is enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but I would have suggested that the brewers focused more on the cherry flavors... where's the 'sour'? Overall a nice stout- not too sweet, which is a problem that I have with a lot of Russian Imperial Stouts.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I normally like a Russian Imperial Stout, but by no means watered down. Not syrupy like some beers of the same style, which I like.

Drinkability: Pretty good! I could see myself bringing this to a friend's house to enjoy after dinner. Decent taste (as long as you weren't hoping for a huge cherry sensation). It wouldn't be a regular choice of RIS for me, but I'd definitely give it another go.

RiverheadBev, Dec 19, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

I had a twelve ounce glass of this at the Amsterdam Ale House in New York City. I really didn't detect any cherry or sourness at all. I think one gets the impression that it's supposed to be a sour beer/stout? But I think the sour refers to the cherry and not the beer. Anyway, pretty much a standard imperial stout and not up there with the best of them in my opinion.

Dark brown/black color with a dark (ok, maybe reddish) head. Aroma is roasty with a little hops. Flavor, again, roasty with some bitterness. Overall, not a bad stout. Just not a favorite.

david18, Dec 19, 2010
1.88/5  rDev -49.1%

Shared by capra12 at a recent tasting. Poured from a 32oz. growler into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Moderate pour yields a 2.5 finger light, fine, milk chocolate head with good retention. Beer is near opaque but as I hold it up to the light, I get a nice amber quality. Lacing is spotty and string but with nice stick.

S: Burnt rubber, toasted malts, coconut, and very medicinal. Smells like the syrup I used to have to eat as a kid when I got sick so all of a sudden, I'm not exactly dying to put this to my lips.

T: The first thing I get here is a thick, artificially sweetened medicinal candied cherry quality that completely ruins it for me. I thought this was a SOUR cherry imperial stout... so where is the sour? Where is the stout? Slight bit of cocoa but that's about it. Instead, this one's dominated by a rancid cherry flavor as well as a melted plastic taste that lingers much to long into the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, but the carbonation fades very quickly in the mouth, leaving this one lifeless. Finish is incredibly messy as it assaults the senses and refuses to go away.

D: You couldn't pay me to drink more of this. The medicinal quality is overwhelming here and it makes me cringe every time I put it to my nose and lips. This beer sounds incredibly intriguing but the execution is way off base. Skip it.

SpeedwayJim, Apr 10, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

32oz growler received from Beerloco for Black Booty Vol. 3. Thanks!

Appearance: Pours an opaque black with a solid two fingers of mocha colored head. Quite fluffy and fairly resilient which is surprising based on the two week age of the growler. Looks amazingly rich and fairly creamy.

Smell: Sour notes right off the bat, but not overwhelmingly so. Roasted chocolates and barley grains also are prevalent. Some hints of vanilla and toffee also playing in, but the toasted malts are dominant in the nose. The sour cherry mixes well with the chocolate to create a very enticing aroma.

Taste: This was surprisingly not as cherry-like as I was expecting. The muted cherry flavors work well with the chocolates and vanillas to create a very palatable mix. Definitely able to pick up the roasted barley and other malty grains. Similar to biting into a cherry cordial minus the toasted grains flavor.

Mouthfeel: Remarkably smooth. I was expecting a harsher tart twinge when I first sipped, but the creaminess of the appearance matches the smoothness of the mouthfeel. Might be slightly over carbonated, but not by much. This is one of the few cherry stouts that I've had that's felt balanced and smooth.

Drinkability: Initial thoughts point to a very solid drinkability. Slight bit of alcohol on the aftertaste means this one's a sipper, and the ABV backs that up. This is definitely a strong cold weather brew, and I'm psyched I got the chance to try it. Thanks Alan!

COBeerBuff, Feb 25, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

On cask at Rattle 'N Hum. Pours a deep dark brown color with a minimal tan head, no lacing. The aroma was of a light roasted malt, very light hint of cherry. The taste was of a light roasted malt with a light cherry flavor, not sweet but not very sour either. There were some light chocolate and woody notes as well. Besides the ABV, which was well hidden, nothing screamed RIS to me on this one. Seemed more like a traditional stout with some light sour cherry flavor. That being said, I thought it tasted good, just not imperial. The feel was a bit weak, body fairly light with almost no carbonation, even for a cask ale. Nice stout, did not seem imperial, which is OK in my book, again abv well hidden.

Gmann, Jan 29, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +16%

Hand filled bottle(on Jan 13, 2010) from the amazing trader known as NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

An Imperial Stout with sour cherries. That has already grabbed my attention.

A small hiss when I popped the cap, holding my glass to the light, I see it is pitch black. A nice 1" head of tannish foam is what I'm looking at. Lacing? You betchya. Sheets of it every time I tilt my glass.

Sticking my nose nearly in the glass, I'm getting notes of bready malt, chocolate, and toffee, and a very light presence of some sourness from the cherries. I expected more cherries in the nose but no big deal. Maybe the taste will have them play a bigger role.

First sip in and..there they are. They bring a nice light tartness to the flavour which is currently dominated by good notes of chocolate and toffee and coffee(I *thought* I noticed it in the smell but I wasn't sure enough to say so), maybe a light touch of licorice, and now, when I swish the beer in my mouth, I get a good sense of the cherry tartness that I was looking for. Yum. The chocolate sweetness turns a bit to the bitter side the more I sip on this brew. That combined with the tart cherries makes for a very nice tasting brew.

On the high side of medium bodied, the carbonation is fairly lightly done but worls very well.

Drinkability? The combination of bitter and sour that this brings to the table is most impressive. So much so that I completely forgot about the abv, which is substantial. I love it when *that* happens. Certainly a brew worth seeking out.

Bitterbill, Jan 23, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

this is one of bluepoints unbottled beers and can normally only be found at the brewery, I found it on growler at Big Z beverage. It pour dark brown/black with a small tan head. alot of roasted malt coffee flavor and smell. I didnt really get many cherries on the nose, if any. Taste is good, better then most stouts and at 9% alcohol it sneaks up on you. no alcohol taste which is a plus. I remembered this beer being better, but it was still good. I wish the cherry taste was a little more pronounced but then again too many cherries are worse, a la cherry wheat by sam adams. If you like stouts, and its around, try it.

lbkornlb14, Nov 13, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at River Street Alehouse. Served in a shaker "pint" glass at happy hour for $2. Way too cold, allowed to warm for about half an hour. Appears a deep brown color with about an inch of tan foam. Smells and tastes of rich roasted grains, caramel, molasses, bitter cherry skins, sour cherry juice, bittersweet cocoa, mocha and very minimal cherry cough syrup notes. Alcohol is barely noticeable here. Rich and full bodied with medium carbonation. One glass was plenty for me in a single session.

ClockworkOrange, Apr 23, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

L: Pours a deep black color with a short and medium bodied tan colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of deep roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and a sweet cherry aroma that I was expecting to be more sour from the name.
T: A nice roasty, chocolaty, coffee base and then a sweet and a little bit sour cherry flavor that lingers and gets more sour as the taste fades.
M: Smooth, rich, warming, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable, I think I would have liked it better if it was sweet, but I can't knock it because I knew what I was getting into. Really interesting and I really enjoyed it.

erosier, Mar 02, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Pure blackness in the glass. A half an inch of head was tan colored and faded fast. To dark to see any carbonation rising at all.

A strong alcohol presence layered over scents of dark fruits. The cherry was actually quite hidden behind the other aromas. Good, but not what was expected.

Again the alcohol presence dominated. A bit more balanced then in the aroma, but still clearly strongest on the tongue. A sweet cherry backing faded fast.

Only a light carbonation on the surfaces. The brew is a bit watery for a beer in the style.

A decent brew. Stands alone as an after dinner drink. An interesting twist on the style. Was worth trying. I hope they make this a regular in the lineup.

RedChrome, Feb 08, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Reviewed on 8/9/08. On tap at the brewery. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt. Flavor of roasted malt, parmesean cheese, faint sweet medicinal cherries, and nuts. A bit heavy with a roasty finish. Not bad, actually, and much tastier than the regular stout.
6/4/7/3/13 (3.3/5)