Blue Point Spring Fling - Blue Point Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: lehows on 03-25-2007

first ‹ prev | 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next › last
4.07/5  rDev +12.1%

a: This was a clear golden amber color. It was served to me with a small white head that quickly faded.

s: Some sweet caramel malts and a nice blast of lemony/pine forest hops.

t: The hops had the strongest lemon flavor I've found in a beer. They had a peppery quality as well. Some mild malt sweetness provided some balance.

m: Crisp and well carbonated.

d: This was perfect after a long hot bike ride. If I see it again I'll certainly have another. (454 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

On tap at Holmes and Watson in Troy.

Pours a dark amber color, with a big head that leaves some nice lacing. Seems like a pretty vicious pour at the bar, as no bubbles are really evident.

Smells like citrus hops, crisp, with caramel, bready malt beneath.

Taste is much better than I was expecting. Starts and ends with crisp, citrus hops that dominate, but in between the malt flavors do their thing and take control, as they should in a good pale ale. I was pretty surprised here.

Hits the palate with the appropriate feel and makes for an easy one to drink. Crisp, refreshing and flavorful enough. I hope I encounter this again before its season is up. (658 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Bottled version is brand new for Spring '09
12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear copper color with a white head that thinned to a layer which left some spotty lacing.

S - balanced aroma of malt and grassy hops.

T - once again the balance of sweet malt and bitter hops is fairly well maintained throughout.

F - light/medium bodied with a clean, crisp feel.

D - very easy to drink a few of these. (417 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%

As the name implies this ale is a deep semi cloudy copper with a tight white lacing.

It is subtle on the nose. Sweet and floral.

Taste shows off a little floral hops up front which are quickly taken over by a rich biscuity maltiness. This beer is nice rich and creamy in the mouth. Becoming really easy to throw back. This beer is exellent now and would be better as a sessioner in the warmer months with friends and family. (426 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Today is the first day of Spring 2011...It's time to try this! Into a pint glass it pours a bright, clear, and carbonated copper color under a nicely sustained medium foam head. Aroma carries a solid flowery hop nose and balancing sweet malt note. A sharp hop bitterness upfront moves across the palate into a smooth yet full flavored toasted biscuity malt feel. Earthy flavored citrus hops are nicely noted throughout. Refreshing yet robust. A nice Spring offering from Blue Point that I'll be happy to grab more of this Spring... (531 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

I picked this up at Wegman's in Mechanicsburg in the mix-a-six area, poured chilled from the 12oz into my dfh shaped pint.

The color is as the label indicated a very clear copper, with an ample cap of cream -rocky and over three fingers from a vigorous pour. The bead is fine and carbonation rises visibly at a semi-fast pace indicating a well carbonated brew. The retention and lacing are both good. The aroma is of slight citrus scented hops with a sturdy malt backing -mild toasted and caramel notes with a gentle sweetness and light spice.

The flavor is very fresh and balanced with the hop flavor giving a vibrant effect of citrus up front with some general fruity elements which could be contributed by the yeast. The taste is very well integrated with the malt giving a subtle toasted character, yet not too dry with just enough caramel to accent and yet the beer is quenching with a semi-dry finish. I was very pleased to be able to try this fine Pale from Blue point. I would not hesitate to share it as it is a good example of the style. (1,052 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On cask, gravity keg, same day as being opened.

This beer poured an orange-tan color that was lightly cloudy. Head wasn't too large and laced like foamy milk down to minimal bubbling which did not completely disappear.

The smell from this cask was not overpowering. Roasted Malt aroma was present along with a pine and citrus smell from the hops.

First sip was completely smooth and impressive. Toasted grains hit the tongue immediately followed by a pleasant and proud hop bitterness that was not strong. This beer is brewed with rye but it's difficult to taste perhaps due to it mingling well with the hops.

As I just stated, the first sip was extremely smooth which is to say there was absolutely nothing harsh in the experience. The carbonation sensation was missing but this is to be expected from a cask-conditioned ale. The middle tastes that were apparent, for me, came from the malt. This was really the best opportunity to get a sense of the rye that was used. The finish had a mild hop bite typical for a pale ale along with some sweetness from the roasted malt. The two were very well balanced. Over time, some slight mild citrus flavors come through at the very end.

I had three imperial pints ... the first went down extremely fast and the second didn't take much longer. The third required some disciplined nursing on my part because I could've easily drank it fast as well. Overall, I'd have to say this is an excellent session beer for those that are fond of Pales and/or IPAs.

On a final note, I think the name of this beer is very misleading. Spring Fling suggests a seasonal style much lighter than what this beer is. I would argue that instead of being a spring seasonal, this could easily be a year-round offering as a Pale Ale. (1,756 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

Appearance: amber in color with a 2" head that slowly fades to a thick surface foam. Some spotty lace develops.

Smell: loads of floral hops and citrus rise easily from the glass and into the nose.

Taste: bready malt profile with loads of floral hop bitterness, some lemon zest, golden apples, and some mild grassy tones.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp from start to finish. Aftertaste is very brief. More refreshing than other ales too.

Drinkability: extremely quaffable and a definite session ale for me. The freshness of the beer really showed a nice flavor profile with a focus on floral hops. (615 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24%

I'll admit I am a fan of most of Blue Point's beers. I picked up a six pack of this on the way to a friends house the other night, along with a couple of other random six packs. I was expecting to like the beer, I love Ales and I love Blue Point. I was really blown away, I loved this beer!

A great copper Ale. Perfectly Hoppy, sping ales usually lack enough hops for me. I'd love if they rebranded this and kept it all year round. It is a nice beer in their lineup, less hoppy than their Hoptical Illusion (which is in my top 10 beers), but more hoppy than their Pale Ale.

I will be buying much more of it! (611 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

An extremely easy drinking copper ale. In my experience, copper ales are a little tough to predict the final flavor. Blue Point balances flavor and mouth feel perfectly in this spring offering. This is one of those beers I wish they made year round. My go to spring beer. (271 characters)

first ‹ prev | 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next › last