Toxic Sludge Black IPA - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-04-2010

While birds of a feather stick together, their wings should not. We blew our cap seeing images of oilslick seabirds and thinking about what may happen to more of our fine, feathered-friends as they migrate south this fall, so we hatched this flighty idea for a specialty brew called 'Toxic Sludge'.
All of the proceeds will benefit Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research's "Spreading Our Wings" campaign and their efforts to build a Wildlife Response Annex. To learn more, please visit: www.tristatebird.org
In times of crisis (like this) we figure you can either hibernate or participate.
Try this tasty, dry-hopped Black IPA, it's as smooth as water off a duck's back. So everytime you drink one, please let out a loud squawk in honor of our beautiful, beaked brethen.
We hope you can dig deep in your hearts (and pockets) to help support the effort.
Be Well,
Mark & Pete
4.63/5  rDev +22.5%

A – A great looking brew. Gemstone mahogany with ruby highlights. Thick, creamy, bone-white head lasts a lifetime leaving sheets of lace throughout the drink.

S – Roasty malt with a delicious, smooth, earthy hop character.

T – Char up front rolls seamlessly into a bold woody hop flavor. Strong roast flavors carry through a semi-bitter finish. Not overly complex, but what’s there is delicious and well executed.

M – Full body has a great smoothness.

O – Best example of the style I’ve had to date. (517 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured a ruby-brown color into a pint glass with a three-quarter inch head. I smell hops! Wonderfully balanced hop to malt character. Roasted malt flavor, bitterness of some hops, tons of carbonation. Feels very crisp on the tongue and goes down easy like a coke on a hot summer day. This is a delicious beer. (309 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall I think of this as the best black IPA I have ever had. Granted, I haven't had a ton, but I love this one. It has a sharp, pungent aroma that is unique amongst black IPA's... it is very reminiscent of a porter/stout actually.

What I really want to add to these reviews is this... a couple of days ago a opened a bottle that I have had sitting on a shelf for over a year which I purchased directly from the brewery (I live in the area). All I can say is WOW! I always enjoyed this beer but never realized how much it actually improved with age. It was creamier and brought out all of the best flavors in the beer. Really quite fantastic. If you have the means, pick up some 22 oz bottles, have patience, and let them sit for a minimum of a year. You won't be disappointed. (780 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Light brown head almost beige in color. While held up to the light a dark cherry like color with lots of noticeable carbonation. As the head settles down, it leaves a nice creamy film. I didn't think it was going to leave any lacing but it turns out it left some very foamy lacing on the glass.

As far as the aroma goes -- caramel, chocolate and a slight smokiness. I also get a scent of some dark fruits.

The taste is absolutely delicious! Chocolate and caramel with roasted malt seem to take center stage but in the middle dark fruits come in like cherries and some grape flavors. At the very end -- the true bitter IPA flavors come in alongside with citrus and pine; there is also just a hint of alcohol noticeable.

The body is creamy with a medium body and moderate carbonation. Incredibly smooth, slides right down, it feels really nice.

Wow! One of the best tasting "black IPA's" I have ever tried and this beer genre is one of my favorites. Almost, perfect except for some minor flaws. This is a must pick-me-up if you see this. On top of this being incredibly tasty, you will be helping out a great cause. (1,121 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

Had this at a cask event in NYC was surprised to be able to find a bottle in CT!

A) - Nice almost jet black color...medium head.

S) - This smells more than like a stout so what's next.

T) - Smokey, malty just with a slight hops bite. Is this really an IPA

M) - Medium Carbonation

D) - Very easy

Very happy with this beer. Could drink it all night. I do have to say seems more like an extra hoppy stout to me but enjoyable none the less! (442 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours an almost jet black with a hint of brown around the edges. The head starts out at about 3/4" and whittled down to a light skin on the beer. The smell is amazing! There are so many different aromas that definitely work together. There is the initial hop aroma of citrus and pine but mixes very well with the slight coffee and chocolate from the dark malts. These two aromas work very well together. The taste starts out with the strong hop bite of an IPA but it mellows out in to a great mix of citrus and chocolate. There is a slight hint of coffee bitterness mixed with the sharp hop bitterness. Two different styles mixing perfectly. The mouthfeel is the perfect yin and yang as well. There is an easy drinking IPA melded perfectly a smooth, velvety oatmeal stout. I love this style and this is a great representation. (826 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Enjoyed this beer on tap at the Golden Rail Ale House in Newburgh, NY. This beer pours black with medium body consistency. An off-white to tan head which is roughly one finger with nice lacing all the way through. Definite floral and piney aroma up front with a hint of chocolate. Citric and Piney hop notes with a nice roasty, coffee malt balance. @ 7% this beer is nicely balanced and is an enjoyable Black IPA. I would definitely recommend this beer because its very drinkable and also helps a good cause. (508 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Got a growler of this from my local distributor, poured into a Blue Point pint glass.

A: Pours a dark dirty-oil color, small one finger head that is tan in color.

S: Initial smell reveals hops, mild yeast smell, and piney and chocolately malts.

T: Initial hop burst with pine notes, and a roasted malt flavor from the middle to end, and ending primarily piney.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation, nice and smooth.

O: Excellent beer with very good drinkability! The taste is not what you would expect when you pour, drinks alot lighter than it looks. And above all, its for a good cause! Go find some and drink it! (622 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint glass.

A: It looks black at first, but when held up to light the body glows with a clear rubious radiance that is truly beautiful to behold. Atop this glorious body is a slightly less stunning half-inch of fine tan head; average retention and pretty strong, super-fine lacing. Lovely.

S: Bright citrus hops really jump out, making it clear that this is definitely a BIPA. Grapefruit, orange, and even some mango give this a nice fruity bitterness, backed up by just a hint of roasted malt. Quite nice indeed.

T: Grapefruit hops and coffee roast hold equal sway at first, with the bitterness of ample hops winning out on the finish. Excellent.

M: Medium body with tons of lively, sharp carbonation. A bit much if you ask me. And I suppose you are.

D: Solid, but not quite exceptional.

Notes: Maybe its the fact that there aren't all that many Black IPAs out there, but this one really, really reminded me of Sublimely Self-Righteous. Now that I'm entering the review, I've looked back at my review of that one and saw that I gave it precisely the same score in every category. What are the odds, huh? This one definitely has slightly more emphasis on and complexity in the hops, as well as a significantly lower ABV; still, more similar than different, and both delicious beers. Another winner from Blue Point.

Cheers! (1,359 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Roast grain and herbal, resiny hop nose.
Pours brilliant deep dark brown under a 1" finely bubbled light tan tinted foam cap.
A creamy palate balances roast with mild chocolate and caramel notes with herbal citrusy hop flavors and a moderate, drying hop accent on the finish.
Medium light body with medium carbonation. (318 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%

A. It is basically black in color. It has a nice foamy head that leaves a good deal of lacing behind.

S. There's a nice malt and hop scent to it.

T/M. It has a beautiful blend of hops and malt. There's a mild nutty chocolate taste to it, with a nice hoppy bite. Some carbonation

O. I would have to do an official tasting, but this might just be the best black IPA that I've ever had. Well balanced and flavorful, not overbearing. (433 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%

I've already reviewed this in a bottle but I had it on tap and it was radically different so I am reviewing it again for the tap version. Had on tap at the Lark in East Northport, NY. Served in a Blue Point pint glass.

Look: same as the bottle version; dark brown with ruby highlights. A small, fluffy eggshell head forms. Left good lacing.

Smell: roasted malt figures prominently along with some piney hops in the background. More roast is apparent in the smell than the bottled version.

Taste: a huge departure from the bottle. While the bottle tasted like an IPA that happened to be black, having it on tap brought out the roasted flavors dramatically. It tastes like an very hopped porter with a serious coffee malt flavor backed by a solid hop bill. I'm a big fan!

Feel: medium bodied. Nicely carbonated, no alcohol bite, no unpleasant bitterness.

Drink: very drinkable. Could easily be sessioned.

Overall, much improved over the bottle version. As I said above, the bottle tasted like an IPA that happened to be black whereas this tasted like a distinctly black IPA. I dunno why this is. My theory is that the keg has been sitting there for awhile while my bottle was very fresh, so perhaps the hops faded and brought out the roasted malt flavors.

Do you hear me, Blue Point?! Make this a regular. (1,311 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on cask from the eponymous Cask Republic a while back, just getting back into reviews ago. From notes.

Pours a fairly dark brown, opaque from the darkness. Head is only about a finger, it's very 'quiet'.

Nice rich aromas of molasses, chocolate, and roasted malt intertwine in the glass.

Very malty beer, the cask certainly allowed for some hop fade, there must have been no dry hopping here. Lots of smokey roasted malt, epsresso, chocolate, molasses, and even a touch of anise in the middle; really spectacular.

Surprisingly very light mouthfeel makes this one quaffable.

Would love to get this one again, maybe I'll even stumble on an old bottle one day, who knows... great beer nonetheless. (702 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

Picked up a bomber of this at the Mondial Bier Fest in Strasbourg, France. Deep, dark mahogany, almost black pour with two finger head, with good retention and lacing. Roasty, herbal nose nicely balanced with hints of pine, caramel, espresso, and chocolate. The taste follows suit with with toasty, malty, toffee and resiny pine with hints of caramel, burnt espresso, molasses and a touch of chocolate. The mouthfeel is not as thick and chewy as most of the black IPA's I've had, but it's smooth with a nice bitter, dry finish. The drinkability is off the charts! I'm kicking myself for not buying more of these! This was my first experience with Blue Point, and I enjoyed everything from them that I tasted at the fest. Hopefully they'll be back next year so I can stock up! (775 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. can purchased in CT in 1/13, unknown canning date (likely late 2012) poured into my Weyebacher chalice glass, drank on 6/13/13 over a half-hour.

A: 4.50 - dark-brown-to-black coloration, no clarity (cannot see through), tannish-brown rocky head lingers through consumption, moderate alcohol legs

S: 4.50 - likely due to the age of this beer, there is very little hop aroma, but, on digging my nose in there, I definitely pick up grapefruit notes admixed with roasted, coffee-ish malts

T: 4.00 - minimal bitterness on the front of the tongue; in the middle of the mouth, there are little hop flavors (probably due to the long tooth on my can) but picking up some with tons of roasty, caramel-ish malts; on the back end, these roasted malt character predominate; very little aftertaste

M: 4.00 - moderate bodied, 7% is present but does not dominate; higher carbonation than other American black IPAs/CDAs that I've drank lately

O: 4.25 - although I don't like the style very much, Toxic Sludge is one of the better black IPAs/CDAs on the market; even though my can is dated, this is one of the roastier/malt-forward black IPAs, so, if you're looking for a hop-forward example of the style, this is not the one to try (I would suggest Firestone Walker's Wookie Jack IPA for a hop-forward example of the style); nevertheless, I enjoy this beer and will continue to purchase on subsequent encounters (1,406 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: more of a dark amber than a black, Still its appears to be quite nice

s: sweet carmel is present, but its smell is dominated by a massive presence of grapefruity/resiny American hops. I for one love american hops
4.5/5

t: their is a Subtle breadyness to this brew, however, it is dominated by American hops. Not enough to drive away a malthead like me, as it works well with its residual sweetness. for a beer being called "a dark IPA" this is little to no dark flavors (except for a small bit or caramel)
4.25/5

M: Resiny and abrasive from the hops, with some grainyness in the body
3.5/5

Overall: This sludge is anything but. This can may make this beer look like Malt liqour, but looks are deceiving: this is a solid example of an American IPA, with a slight dark twist.
My only regret is that it doesn't go far enough with that dark twist, and if it did, I might had given it more points.

but as it stands this beer is solid. I highly recommend it. (960 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Drank a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter.
Pours a nice deep cola brown with fluffy tan head of 3 cm foaming up and fading gradually to a sturday surface layer.
Tight lattice persists throughout the sampling on the glass.
ARoma is caramel and toffee malts with some citrus but mostly earthy hops. Well balanced nose.
First sip reveals an average body with gentle rolling carbonation.
Flavor is roasted malt almost to coffee ground status, with some drying dark cocoa on the finish. I dont get nearly the hops that I anticipated from the nose and style. But there are some mild earth notes and bits of citrus grapefruit, but mostly malt profile on the flavor.
The beer is well balanced and intersting. No hints of ABV and the smooth texture make this easy to drink. I would enjoy another bottle of this highly drinkable brew! (833 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Toxic Sludge in a CAN?!? It says that it comes from New York, but I wonder if it wasn't by way of New Jersey ... Maybe next, they'll find a way to put it in a 55-gallon drum which could then be forklifted onto the bar and served via gravity so that it would still count as a CAN.

From the CAN: "Caution Extremely Fresh"; "Product of USA"; "Small Batch" [but in a big pint CAN].

The Crack released a noxious green cloud and I had to evacuate the house while Fire & Rescue did their thing. The inverted Glug revealed a highly suspicious viscous liquid and I had to wait for it to settle before proceeding. I had a dense finger of light-brown foam that seemed destined not to go away until I deployed my flame thrower and burned it off. Color was a deep ruby-red with NE-quality clarity, enabling me to see all manner of mutant creatures swimming around in it. I began to wonder - if Minhas products have turned me into a Cyberman in the past, what effect was Toxic Sludge going to have on me? There was only one way to find out and so I charged ahead, taking my first sip of the day. Mouthfeel was medium and I could feel the creatures tugging on my tongue as they tried to get purchase, but to no avail. They slid right down my gullet and into my stomach where my mutant stomach acid instantly dissolved them. My Minhas-mutated bodily systems were too much for Toxic Sludge! I had a feeling that such might be the case, but now, I am sure of it. I laugh in the face of The Toxic Avenger! Bring on Godzilla! I liked how the minty hops really held their own on the nose. One of my principal complaints about the style is that it seems to negate the best of both worlds with the malt overtaking the hops and the hops dumbing down the malt. Not so here. This was quite drinkable and I got plenty enough hoppy bitterness to keep me happy. The dark roasted malt added a charcoal bitterness that enhanced, rather than overwhelmed, the hops. The finish was quite dry and if I had to drink a Black/Cascadian IPA, this is the one that I would prefer. Remember, kids, get it in the CAN! (2,077 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured this one into my trusty, ever ready, Sam Adams pint glass. The body is a deep dark glossy brown, almost black, with a beige head that hangs on like a champ.
The aroma is complicated mix of roasted malt, burnt pumpernickel, molasses, plum, booze and pine.
What I taste is everything mentioned above plus a fair heaping of coffee malts accompanied with a rather sinister hop sizzle and sting that lets you know that what you have before you is not for beginners.
I found the mouthfeel to be of medium body with perfect carbonation.
Overall this is a solid brew from a great brewery. (588 characters)

Fresh growler.

A: Black in color with some brown when held up to the light. Really a good looking beer. The head is just a little on the brown side of white.

S: It has that nice mix of hops and roast that I look for in the style. A little bit earthy. A little bit of citrus as well. Orange/chocolate.

T: Starts off with a nice fresh hop profile. Bitterness then from both the hops and the roasted malt. Layers of citrus hops and roast/ chocolate go back and forth. Finishes a little on the bitter side with a nice mix of both.

M: Very nice creamy mouthfeel. A little on the thin side for the style though.

D: I really enjoyed this one. It was almost refreshing. A really nice beer. If this were less than 6% I would like it even more. Good work. (750 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

$5.00 bomber from Abe's.

Not really black, but dark brown, with light brown highlights. Billowing light tan head fills the top of my glass. Nice dripping lace effect.

Roast coffee with milk aroma, with maybe some earthy herbal hoppiness. Really smells like ice coffee.

Coffee with milk beginning. Then earthy hoppiness to the swallow and a softly lingering aftertaste.

Extraordinary smooth mouthfeel. Silky.

Drinks easy, smoothly.

A terrific beer, though far more porter than black IPA to me. Either way, worth a try. (524 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head

smell: love the combo of hops and malts fighting together. Citrus and roasted malts highly present

taste: fairly balanced amer black. citrus flavor fromt he hops was there, could of used a little more.

mouthfeel: medium bodies

drinkability: nice beer... I love this style and they hit it. Not #1 by any means but very solid. (385 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

On-Tap at Frisco Taphouse

A: Lives up to the name of Toxic Sludge with a nice deep dark color like a reminiscent of a stout or porter. Nice head laced in the glass throughout the session.

S: Dark malt aroma reminding me of coffee. Had some hops lingering in the background as well but hard to pick up.

T: Earthiness up front followed by some residual sweetness of the malt. Hops were present but not too overpowering. Nice balance between the two.

M: Sticky from the hops but also a bit oily as well.

D: Very interesting beer and one of the better black IPAs I've had. Not as heavy as the color would indicate. Definitely would have another. (647 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Picked up bottle from the brewery, love going to their small eccentric nook of a tasting room.

Hadn't tried a Black IPA before but this was an exciting introduction to the style.

Poured into my Blue and Grey hefe glass...

A: Darker than a porter but still a little translucent..nice fluffy (caramel creme color) head with a vigorous pour

S: Nice hops, piney, earthy with sweet roasted malt

T: Was wondering if I'd like the darker malts mixed with pronounced hops and I really do with this Bluepoint brew. It's light enough but I like the added flavor and abv of a medium dose of malts

M: Medium bodied with creamy feel and hop bitters left over

D: I'm in the midst of completing this 22 oz. Ate it with a bowl of soup that I had made cheesy..yum! It's not too heavy so if this is your style then drink away, I'm pleased with the one bottle. (850 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

a rare review with under 10 people... I'm blessed... by Dylan...

A- dark as night, opaque as shit. Great looking head of tan foam

S- a great mix of citrus hops and roasted malt. It's very unique and balances well. Not to state the obvious.... but it's a dark twist of grapefruit and tangerine

T- there is toasty malt in the beginning that spins right into the citrus hops. There is a spicy theme that pulls the brew away from a standard IPA

M- full bodied and creamy. Really coates the mouth

D- toxic sludge is fantastic. The flavor is outstanding and not too overwhelming. To be honest, it's incredibly drinkable as well. I highly recommend this brew... need more... (672 characters)

Toxic Sludge Black IPA from Blue Point Brewing Company