Toxic Sludge Black IPA - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-04-2010

While birds of a feather stick together, their wings should not. We blew our cap seeing images of oilslick seabirds and thinking about what may happen to more of our fine, feathered-friends as they migrate south this fall, so we hatched this flighty idea for a specialty brew called 'Toxic Sludge'.
All of the proceeds will benefit Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research's "Spreading Our Wings" campaign and their efforts to build a Wildlife Response Annex. To learn more, please visit: www.tristatebird.org
In times of crisis (like this) we figure you can either hibernate or participate.
Try this tasty, dry-hopped Black IPA, it's as smooth as water off a duck's back. So everytime you drink one, please let out a loud squawk in honor of our beautiful, beaked brethen.
We hope you can dig deep in your hearts (and pockets) to help support the effort.
Be Well,
Mark & Pete

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.86/5  rDev +4%

16 oz. can at fridge temp poured into a snifter. No freshness info.

Pours out what looks like a black color, but when held up to some light, it's actually a really dark ruby red color. A huge billowy off white, to light tan colored head that left a nice foamy cap taller than the rim of the glass off the pour. Really nice tight retention. Sticky lace covers al most every inch of exposed glass.

Piney, fruity, slightly woody hops, some dry citrus, with some grain husk.

A nice even taste. Piney hops mingle with caramel grains. Finishes with a dry citrus bitterness. Some fruitiness somewhere in there. Easy but enjoyable.

Medium in body. Carbonation is about right for the style. A nice bitterness that lingers with just a hint of sweetness.

Pretty solid and drinkable black IPA. One of the more well made beers I've had from blue point.

4.23/5  rDev +14%

A. It is basically black in color. It has a nice foamy head that leaves a good deal of lacing behind.

S. There's a nice malt and hop scent to it.

T/M. It has a beautiful blend of hops and malt. There's a mild nutty chocolate taste to it, with a nice hoppy bite. Some carbonation

O. I would have to do an official tasting, but this might just be the best black IPA that I've ever had. Well balanced and flavorful, not overbearing.

3.82/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A beige sticky head sits atop this really really dark auburn chestnut brown brew. A nice glow when held to light too.
A pleasing aroma greets you with a pleasent hop and malt attack. Nicely balance with neither beating out each other for favor.
Alas, the flavor is a letdown. Nothing greets you to pull you in. You can taste hops balancing out a slight roasted malt bill but neither one has any get up and go.
Finishs dry and bitter. This might not be the best buy it's easy drinking smooth and has all the characteristics of a fine BIPA being hoppy witha a tad of roast thrown in.

4.17/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Toxic Sludge in a CAN?!? It says that it comes from New York, but I wonder if it wasn't by way of New Jersey ... Maybe next, they'll find a way to put it in a 55-gallon drum which could then be forklifted onto the bar and served via gravity so that it would still count as a CAN.

From the CAN: "Caution Extremely Fresh"; "Product of USA"; "Small Batch" [but in a big pint CAN].

The Crack released a noxious green cloud and I had to evacuate the house while Fire & Rescue did their thing. The inverted Glug revealed a highly suspicious viscous liquid and I had to wait for it to settle before proceeding. I had a dense finger of light-brown foam that seemed destined not to go away until I deployed my flame thrower and burned it off. Color was a deep ruby-red with NE-quality clarity, enabling me to see all manner of mutant creatures swimming around in it. I began to wonder - if Minhas products have turned me into a Cyberman in the past, what effect was Toxic Sludge going to have on me? There was only one way to find out and so I charged ahead, taking my first sip of the day. Mouthfeel was medium and I could feel the creatures tugging on my tongue as they tried to get purchase, but to no avail. They slid right down my gullet and into my stomach where my mutant stomach acid instantly dissolved them. My Minhas-mutated bodily systems were too much for Toxic Sludge! I had a feeling that such might be the case, but now, I am sure of it. I laugh in the face of The Toxic Avenger! Bring on Godzilla! I liked how the minty hops really held their own on the nose. One of my principal complaints about the style is that it seems to negate the best of both worlds with the malt overtaking the hops and the hops dumbing down the malt. Not so here. This was quite drinkable and I got plenty enough hoppy bitterness to keep me happy. The dark roasted malt added a charcoal bitterness that enhanced, rather than overwhelmed, the hops. The finish was quite dry and if I had to drink a Black/Cascadian IPA, this is the one that I would prefer. Remember, kids, get it in the CAN!

3.59/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16oz canned November 15, 2012. Served at around 45F.

Pours dark brown to black in the glass with red highlights, surprisingly light-colored head for a dark brew, off-white to a very light beige, 3 fingers, very rocky/foamy, lasts forever.

Aroma is kind of mild, lemony citrus, pine, caramel, bread, light roasted malt. As it warms up, it gets better, better strength, more roasted malt notes.

Flavor is pine and citrus hops, lemony, mild roasted malts, mild chocolate & coffee, mild sweetness, good bitterness, mild alcohol. THEN it warms up and gets a lot better. Citrus, pine, dark, rich roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, caramel.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, good to sharp carbonation.

A hoppy Guinness? Light in body and light in the roasted malt flavor. Gets a LOT better as it warms up, Good to Very Good Black IPA. Not the greatest out there (Sublimely, Dubhe, etc), but in the ballpark of something like 21st Amendment’s Back in Black.

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz CAN, really busy design, served in an imperial pint

The body resembles that of a cola, with a huge fluffy tan head. Aroma provides whiffs of licorice, pine, and sticky charred malt. The flavor profile hits with more of the same - bitter pine resin, smoke, char, malt. This doesn't hold up that well compared to some of the west coast staples. It's spicy and bitter but lacks a clean hop profile underneath all of the blackness. Worth a CAN purchase, but would be challenging to drink more than one.

4.17/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured this one into my trusty, ever ready, Sam Adams pint glass. The body is a deep dark glossy brown, almost black, with a beige head that hangs on like a champ.
The aroma is complicated mix of roasted malt, burnt pumpernickel, molasses, plum, booze and pine.
What I taste is everything mentioned above plus a fair heaping of coffee malts accompanied with a rather sinister hop sizzle and sting that lets you know that what you have before you is not for beginners.
I found the mouthfeel to be of medium body with perfect carbonation.
Overall this is a solid brew from a great brewery.

Toxic Sludge Black IPA from Blue Point Brewing Company