Toxic Sludge Black IPA - Blue Point Brewing Company

good

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

While birds of a feather stick together, their wings should not. We blew our cap seeing images of oilslick seabirds and thinking about what may happen to more of our fine, feathered-friends as they migrate south this fall, so we hatched this flighty idea for a specialty brew called 'Toxic Sludge'.
All of the proceeds will benefit Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research's "Spreading Our Wings" campaign and their efforts to build a Wildlife Response Annex. To learn more, please visit: www.tristatebird.org
In times of crisis (like this) we figure you can either hibernate or participate.
Try this tasty, dry-hopped Black IPA, it's as smooth as water off a duck's back. So everytime you drink one, please let out a loud squawk in honor of our beautiful, beaked brethen.
We hope you can dig deep in your hearts (and pockets) to help support the effort.
Be Well,
Mark & Pete

(Beer added by: mcallister on 08-04-2010)

blmar311, Dec 21, 2012

Lethargy99, Dec 20, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

chippo33, Dec 18, 2012

jriggins6, Dec 17, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a clear dark brown with two fingers of tan foam, settles to a half inch ring with spotty lace on the glass. Smell: orange, light pine, notes of cocoa and dark bread, toffee. Nice, understated. Taste: milk chocolate and toasted dark bread, grapefruit, earth and a little pine. Medium bodied, velvety feel. Relaxed, tasty. Canned on 320/365.

babaracas, Dec 17, 2012

Casterbridge, Dec 14, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Let me just say that I love the title. I can't say that I've seen it used on any other beer and that's what made it stand out to me. No kidding here.

Pours more of a dark burgundy than black color when held up to light. Still dark and plenty of head for those who like that.

Is my nose fooling more or do I detect a whiff of roasty malt? Hops have some citrus and pine characteristics.

Damn, the bitterness is overwhelming by a bit. Lots of caramel, molasses but for some reason, not enough malt character.

Mouthfeel is convincing. Thin, almost flimsy. Some lingering bitterness.

I'm glad I only bought one can. It's interesting but I'm not convinced that it fulfills all the hallmarks of the style.

Brad007, Dec 02, 2012

Jim_DemonDeacon, Nov 03, 2012

seplo, Oct 30, 2012

Maseitz, Oct 30, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

drinking a "vintage" toxic sludge that i forgot i had. pretty sure this is from the first bottling...WAY too long ago, so bear that in mind.

a - poured a deep watery black with a thin white head that eventually fizzled away leaving a thin skin on the surface and some lacing on the glass.

s - roastedness and hops. really nice and smoothed over.

t - well, surprisingly the hops are not gone, but definitely muted. kind of watery. very roasted. kind of charred.

m - thin and a bit charred. watery.

o - overall, an old black ipa, but the hops held out and are actually the highlight of this brew. roastedness. pretty enjoyable and tasty albeit a bit thin and watery.

cosmicevan, Oct 29, 2012

PJF12866, Sep 26, 2012

MisterE, Sep 26, 2012

jeanphony, Sep 20, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

This brew was served from the cask at The Old Toad in Rochester, NY. It arrived in a house becker glass, showing the color of cola. It held a one and a half finger head of light brown bubbles. This showed awesome retention, with eventual spots of lacing left around the glass. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared low. The nose gave roasty chocolate malts, cooling and sugary vanilla, melon, black cherries, passion fruit, charred woodiness, raw cocoa nibs, drying chalkiness of grain, and a finishing touch of light grassy hops. Our first impression was that there was big complexity to the taste, which was much fruitier than expected for the style, but not following that nose. As we sipped, tropical fruit of passion fruit and pineapple started things off sweetly. Mixing in were lactic and sour cranberry notes, dark chocolate and coffee malts, and a tangerine flesh sweetness. The middle peaked with charred coffee malts, a flash of metallics, white sugar sweetness, plastic bite, and a leathery twang. We finished with more of that smoke and leather, some more chocolate and coffee from the malts, and another plastic flash. Things did, however, lighten up right at the end, with final washes from plastics, drying chalky malts, and lactic sourness of cream. The aftertaste breathed of dark chocolate truffles, grassy hops, fig, dried wood, cashew nuttiness, and light smoky coffee. The body was light and almost watery, with that very cask-like drying bite. Carbonation was very light. The mouth was left wet and satiated, with that light chalky dryness all over. Slurp and smack were okay, but there was little in the way of cream of frothiness to the sip. The abv was fine, and the beer drank easily .

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the wily fruity inclusion in the nose and taste. It really reminded us of Stone’s 15th Anniversary Escondidian Black IPA in its sweetness, but here we found much more plastic, leathery, and chalky cocoa bite. This beer was certainly intense, and it will probably take you by surprise, but not necessarily in a bad way.

TheBrewo, Sep 10, 2012

edthered413, Sep 09, 2012

jtb0608, Sep 03, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

On tap at Gainesville House of Beer. Pours pitch black and smells like its name. Muddled boozy wet dog and burnt grain aroma. Taste follows with a lot going on, none of it which I like. Dirt and booze flavor, a little roast, rather bold, and then more booze. Slightly sweet, and very little balancing bitter. Medium to heavy bodied, low carbonation. Meh. I was disappointed with this one.

BMMillsy, Aug 24, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall I think of this as the best black IPA I have ever had. Granted, I haven't had a ton, but I love this one. It has a sharp, pungent aroma that is unique amongst black IPA's... it is very reminiscent of a porter/stout actually.

What I really want to add to these reviews is this... a couple of days ago a opened a bottle that I have had sitting on a shelf for over a year which I purchased directly from the brewery (I live in the area). All I can say is WOW! I always enjoyed this beer but never realized how much it actually improved with age. It was creamier and brought out all of the best flavors in the beer. Really quite fantastic. If you have the means, pick up some 22 oz bottles, have patience, and let them sit for a minimum of a year. You won't be disappointed.

Sotbas, Aug 15, 2012