Toxic Sludge Black IPA - Blue Point Brewing Company

good

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

While birds of a feather stick together, their wings should not. We blew our cap seeing images of oilslick seabirds and thinking about what may happen to more of our fine, feathered-friends as they migrate south this fall, so we hatched this flighty idea for a specialty brew called 'Toxic Sludge'.
All of the proceeds will benefit Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research's "Spreading Our Wings" campaign and their efforts to build a Wildlife Response Annex. To learn more, please visit: www.tristatebird.org
In times of crisis (like this) we figure you can either hibernate or participate.
Try this tasty, dry-hopped Black IPA, it's as smooth as water off a duck's back. So everytime you drink one, please let out a loud squawk in honor of our beautiful, beaked brethen.
We hope you can dig deep in your hearts (and pockets) to help support the effort.
Be Well,
Mark & Pete

(Beer added by: mcallister on 08-04-2010)
View: Beers (38) |  Events

02-10-2014 03:09:30 | More by thatoneguymike
StoutHunter

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a can of Blue Point's Toxic Sludge Black IPA last week for $1.29 at The Beer Depot. I've been meaning to try this beer, but I every time I saw some it looked like it had been sitting on the shelf for a while, but the guy at the beer store said they got it at the end of November, so I thought it was worth a try, lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a brown 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks ok, I think it's fairly eye catching but I don't like the fact that it says extremely fresh on the can, it's not always going to be fresh. It poured a crimson brown color that took on more of a crimson and ruby hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky sheets of lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a sweet malt, grainy, light roasted malts, bready, and chocolate like aromas with the grainy and chocolate aromas seeming to stick out the most and there's also a pretty noticeable caramel like aroma in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart a mixture of floral and earthy hops with a slight piney hop aroma in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, there was a good balance of malts and hops aromas.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lighter amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart a bready, grainy, lightly roasted, and light chocolate flavors with a slight bit of doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart some floral and earthy hop flavors with the earthy hops sticking out the most and the impart a a pretty low amount of medium bitterness with a grainy, lightly roasted and earthy hop like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but i wish the roasted malt and the hops were both bolder.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, a little crisp, a little sticky, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a slightly above average example of a Black IPA, it wasn't bad at all, but I found myself wishing that the malts were more rich, bolder and roasty and I thought the hop profile could have been a little more complex and impart more hoppy flavors, but it's far from the worst Black IPA and I would say that as a whole it's pretty solid. What I liked the most about this beer was that it was fairly true to style and it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style. What I liked the least about this beer was that the hops and malts weren't bolder, I think they were both a little weaker then they should be. I might buy a can of this when I'm in the mood for a Black IPA and I would for sure buy another one if I knew it was really fresh. I would recommend giving this a try if you like Black IPAs, but I don't think it's a stand out in the style. All in all I thought this beer was solid, it wasn't the best or the worse of the style, but it didn't have any off flavors or anything that was too far off for the style. Nice job guys, keep up the solid work.

Serving type: can

pknyc

01-31-2014 03:11:49 | More by pknyc
Ljudsignal

3.54/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16oz can into my Night Shift tulip.

Pours a deep cola color with a frothy off-white head. Poor head retention, fades over the course of about a minute to a thin sudsy ring around the beer. Spotty lacing.

In the nose, notes of sweet bready malt, cola, earthy hops, and semisweet chocolate. Not what I was expecting at all, more like some of the barleywines I've had than anything else.

Taste more or less follows the nose. Bitter earthy hops, espresso roastiness, lightly charred wood, bittersweet chocolate, and light bready malts. Very subtle hints of grapefruit pith, more prominent in the finish. Again, maybe I'm just missing all the IPA notes here...this drinks more like a hoppy porter than a proper IPA.

Mouthfeel is thin, although carbonation is nicely balanced. Finishes pleasantly dry.

On the whole...this one was weird. Not bad, but not quite what I'd call an "IPA", per se. Maybe I'm just biased by having gotten to try some phenomenal Cascadian Black Ales in the past (Founders' Inspired Artist comes to mind), but this one was just a little off for me. Still a respectable effort.

Serving type: can