Blue Point Pumpkin Ale - Blue Point Brewing Company

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Gmann on 09-11-2010

1.3/5  rDev -61.4%

clear burnt amber hue with a good sized sticky off white head. smells of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, a little light.

light on body and flavor with brisk effervescence. Honestly tastes like water with cinnamon and nutmeg in it with an Oliver twist sized portion of pumpkin. Not good. The only respectable thing about this beer is that you can't detect the 6% abv despite how thin the flavors are.

2.11/5  rDev -37.4%

The first thing that hit my mouth was a tin or metallic taste that lingered and I could not shake. I love a good pumpkin but this beer had nothing that reminds me of a pumpkin. No taste, smell or gravity to boot up in my mouth. I'm hoping I got a bad pour but as it stands I can't touch this beer again. I don't like drinking metal.

2.35/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a crystal clear orange with a two finger white head. Looks gorgeous, off to a great start here

S- slight bit of cinnamon and pumpkin, and nothing else. Very weak aroma

T- incredibly bland. Slight hints of pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and by slight, I mean *slight*

M- the body of this one is actually kind of thick...not nearly as thin as I expected from past experience with pumpkin beers

O- swing and a miss. I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beers to begin with, but this one is so unbelievably boring

2.41/5  rDev -28.5%

A below-average pumpkin ale, with very little taste. Nothing notable here, especially with a 6% alcohol content (surprising for a malt).

The appearance is mildly desirable, but the "pumpkiny" smell is nearly nonexistent.

Overall, not a beer I would recommend to others.

2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a nice amber and the initial aromas make this brew seem very promising. Unfortunately, it all goes downhill after the first sip! No flavor whatsoever. No pumpkin taste. No spices. Nothing! very, very dissapointing pumpkin beer. Quite honestly, the worst pumpkin beer I've had to this point.

2.49/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured on tap at Walker's Coffee & Pub in Athens, GA on 9/11/12

Appearance: Pours a clear orange/copper tint with a steady head that yields some good lacing.

Smell: Some pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves), but very mild overall. Not much actual pumpkin scent going on here.

Taste: Wow. First impression is a tin can. The other reviewers are spot on here. As it fades, it leaves a lingering pumpkin taste, but this is clearly poorly-canned pumpkin pulp, not the real stuff or even the "good" canned stuff. The slight spice notes come through in the immediate fading of the dominant tin flavor, but overall, the metallic flavors dominate. It's not overly flavorful at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, it leaves a light coating on the tongue that fades relatively quickly. Not overly impressive, but better than water, I suppose.

Overall: I was not impressed with this brew. It's got a decent smell (though it's faint) and leaves a remarkable lacing on the glass. Other than that, it's a disappointment - not much flavor, but what's there is dominated by a metallic foretaste that fades (slowly) to a slight pumpkin pie spice and then a very faint aftertaste of poor-quality canned pumpkin. I wouldn't seek this one out again.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

sampled during an impromptu pumpkin tasting. pours a pale amber hue, small head with slight retention. scent is of light nutmeg and pumpkin. taste is similar but not quite as interesting. body fells light and watery. not a whole lot of character in this one. would not buy again.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle.

Clear dark copper body. Small, gauzy, light beige head. Not much retention. Modest malt aroma with notes of caramel and maybe some faint pie filling. Not much spice action here, or pumpkin for that matter.

Astringent graininess up front. Notes of ginger and mineral water bitterness come in. Toasted grains and butterscotch fill in. Tangy, tannic edge to it all. Light spices (nutmeg, clove) in the finish. More pumpkin and pie like in the end, but it sure doesn't start out that way. Moderate body with a slightly overcarbonated feel.

2.56/5  rDev -24%

S: Classic pumpkin pie spices.

L: Crystal clear amber, creamy white head that dissipates to just a dusting.

T: Clean maltiness with just a touch of pumpkin spices. Fairly dry and clean overall, quite bland. Slightly spicy and dry finish with a touch of hops.

M: Medium thin body, medium carbonation.

Bland and boring.

2.57/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a slight hazy bronze color with a very small off white head.
Aroma is a decent dose of nutmeg, clove, cinnamon and various pumpkin spices.
Taste however, is a bit odd. Not really picking up too many of the flavors i sensed in the aroma. It's a bit watery and any flavor just kinda gets lost in the mix. Nothing really exciting.
Not much to be said about the palate. A little rough on the palate, watery. Odd aftertaste. Didn't really enjoy this pumpkin ale.

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured bottle into glass

A- golden amber with a bit of a darker orange hue. Very little off-white head that didnt stick around very long. Doesn't seem to be much carbonation.

S- some brown sugar, pumpkin pie spices (allspice, clove, cinnamon) ginger. I am picking up a faint floral smell, probably from the spices.

T- a bit of malt and a faint hint of spices...in fact, all the flavors are just faint hints. This almost tastes like it's old. Perhaps this is last years batch that somehow made it this long without getting purchased.

M- This also makes me think this has been sitting around for awhile. It has very little carbonation and it's really light bodied and thin.

O- I have had some very good pumpkin ales this season, but this is simply not one of them. I think it's the worst. However, like I said, I think this may be old. If I see this again next year I may give it another chance.

2.62/5  rDev -22.3%

I saw this one for sale at Total Wine (I know, but it is all I have down here in South Fla!) so I took a chance and got a single of this one. Total Wine is notorious for having out of date product but since this one is a seasonal, and we are in season, it had to be fresh.

The beer pours typical pumpkin style in an amber color with little to no head that quickly recedes into the field. It reminded me of a 40oz of malt liquor I had a while ago: the head was almost soda like and not very appealing.

The aroma was okay. There was not much pumpkin stuff going on. The majority of the nose consisted of "beer"aromas like caramel and slightly roasted grains, huskiness and minimal cinnamon and nutmeg.

Flavor was a duplicate of the aroma sofaras there was not much going on. This wasnt a bad beer per se, but not in the top half for the style and nowhere near a great beer considering all of the other styles out there. Glad I only purchased the single.

2.64/5  rDev -21.7%

I had this beer a week after having a 19-pumpkin-beer-tasting-extravaganza, and thought it was terrible. But upon trying it for a second time, I found it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Apparently, I got a little spoiled.

A-Light orangish amber, some head at first.

S-Could smell the cinnamon from several feet away while it was being poured. However, smelled a little more sour when I really put my nose in it.

T-Like I said, better than I remembered. Some pumpkin and slight spice. The aftertaste is very metallic, though--not a fan of that.

M-A little bitter. Quite watery.

D-It goes down fairly easily, but I'm not sure I'd want too many.

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a clean orange-ish to brown color with an off white head. In the aroma, hint of cinnamon and mellow spice. In the taste, spices, mostly cinnamon, and a small pumpkin and fruit back. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small spice to a clean aftertaste. A nice taste, but lacking everywhere else.

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Received this one as a nice extra in a recent trade.

The appearance is not impressive at all with not much more than a typical medium amber color. The head appears briefly and disappears to nothing quickly.

The smell has slight spiciness, but nothing overly noteworthy.

The taste is as underwhelming as everything else. A slight pumpkin taste on top of a very mediocre macro beer base. This is not anything to note.

Mouthfeel is a misnomer because there isn't much with this one. Better than your average BMC, but very empty and has nothing filling.

You can drink a bunch of these, but you won't know it and you won't care that you did.

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%

I'm tackling a horizontal tasting of four pumpkin ales tonight. My final selection is Blue Point.

This beer is a typical orange color and has a thin layer of head. It has the weakest nose of the four; maybe I smell some pumpkin puree and cinnamon?

Maybe this beer is suffering because it's the last in my line up and my palate has become dulled, but then if the nose is weak, I shouldn't be surprised if the flavor profile is weak. It starts decently, with some puree, nutmeg, and vanilla, but the finish is watery. This is just an average beer.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a light copper in color with a transparent body, slight off white head at the top that left some lacing around the glass.

S: The aroma up front is spicy, bread, and nutmeg and some cinnamon coming through as well, lots of stuff going on here not to much balance.

T: Slightly like the nose, more malts than pumpkin flavors, nothing pronounced on the tongue, but not a terrible flavor.
M:Medium mouthful feel, slight carbonation and a slight tingle.

Overall: Simple beer, no crazy flavors coming through, refreshing, not terrible tasting.

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz into pint glass.

Pours with a decent, creamy off-white head over a fairly clear amber body. Touch of carbonation flowing up.

Aromas contain the traditional pumpkin and spice (both in muted form) but also accompanied by a tangy citrus hop quality. Clove may be the predominant spice.

Low to moderate body. Flavors include clove, nutmeg, pumpkin, and lemon rhind. As it warms, I picked up on some cinnamon, carrot, and flat 7-Up as well. Mouthfeel is pretty crisp, with a nice level of carbonation... cleanses the palate pretty well, but not representative of the style.

Not one of my favorites, and strangely similar to Shock Top's Wheat Pumpkin.

2.77/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Copper brew with a thin off white head, quickly dissipating. No lacing.
S- Your run of the mill pumpkin ale scents- cinnamon, caramel, nutmeg.
T- Bland. However, the pumpkin tastes fresh and is the star of the beer. Spice, malt, pumpkin. Watery at times.
M- Thin body. Very straightforward- nothing out of the box. It's a pumpkin ale for sure, but not great.
O- Not bad, just not impressed.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

Dear Steve:

I tried another beer this evening. This one was by a Long Island brewery called "Blue Point," and this purported to be an ale brewed with...get this...PUMPKINS. Have you ever heard of such a thing? What's next, beer with blueberries? Anyway, it was poured from the bottle into a wine glass, which is the only thing they have on hand at this house I'm housesitting in for the next few days.

The pour was a deep copper, like you might expect a beer brewed with pumpkins to appear. It looked a lot like those amber ales you're so fond of, Steve. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. This is definitely a beer brewed for autumn, for reals.

I'd be hard-pressed to say it SMELLED like pumpkins, but then again, I carved one with your sister this weekend and actual raw pumpkin smells more like garbage. This had some notes of cinnamon and maybe one of those other spices your mom uses too much of at Thanksgiving. Nutmeg? Cardamom? I'm just spitballing here.

As far as the beer tastes? Well, it doesn't taste anything like pumpkin, by any discernible measure save for the label's own say-so. It's sweet...so sweet it makes my teeth hurt...but it's not a "pumpkin-pie, frolic-gaily-around-in-the-fallen-leaves" type of autumnal sweet. More like a "I've-had-three-of-these-and-now-my-heart-hurts" type of cloying sweet. Jesus Tapdancing Christ, the longer I sit here at my typewriter, the more I feel the need to brush my teeth right out of my head after drinking this.

Steve, I had high hopes for this beer, I really did. I've been a fan of Blue Point in the past...just read my other reviews. But this beer is really only worth it if it's the only craft option available in the bodega, just like it was for me. And is that the type of life that ANY of us want to live? I'm sorry, Steve, but this beer is only average, and since this beer is only available on the East Coast where there are pumpkin beers a-plenty, you have a number of other options.

Your friend,

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Thanks Alucard4 for sharing

Look: Amber in color and translucent. 1/4 inch head and no retention

Smell: Very little nose here but there is a bit of all spice cinnamon and pumpkin very weak

Taste: Copious amounts of pumpkin to the point where it is too much

Mouthfeel: Thin and mildly carbonated

Overall: Not a fan of this one much like most pumpkin beers but this one is just too much

2.86/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a DFH Snifter

A - Clear, medium-dark amber pour. Thick, cream colored head with decent retention and a loose lace.

S - Lighter in the nose, with light cinnamon and ginger notes. Not a lot going on here.

T&M - Lighter bodied; and a bit watery feeling. Some minor pie spice flavors, again the predominant players are cinnamon, ginger, and a bit of nutmeg. This is striking me as sort of an "everyman" pumpkin ale...it's not unpleasant, but the flavors are a little too underwhelming for my personal liking.

O - On the brighter side, it is rather refreshing, does not carry the overly sweet edge that a lot of pumpkin ales carry, and may be a good introduction to the style for someone who is unsure or unfamiliar with it.

2.87/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A fairly pedestrian - underwhelming offering from Blue Point, that aside from perhaps a faint upfront cinnamon or apple note, doesn't really suggest anything regarding an autumnal or speciality beer. Presents decently in the glass, with a translucent light copper colored body and white head. Nothing very distinguishable in the nose or taste. Meh....could have a bottle of this with pizza or the like. Not much to see here.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

A: A medium to light copper body. Decent head and lacing.

S: Smells of both pumpkin and spices. A little too sweet for my liking. Some rustic grains also come through.

T: The actual pumpkin characteristics are diminished here. Upfront there's a brash maltiness followed by some nice pumpkin pie spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. The spice hangs around for the aftertaste but is accompanied by a crappy adjunct quality that reminds me of 9.99 30 packs. I wonder if the pumpkin is responsible.

M: Thin and astringent.

An ok pumpkin beer. Probably one I'll forget about.

2.94/5  rDev -12.8%

Not crazy about this pumpkin beer... looks amzing... lots of rich amber colors with fluffy white head.... weak aroma... some spice... taste is mild touch of spice and some pumpkin flavpr... atleast its not overdone.... the main issue i have it the off flavors and light body,.. this is made for intro beer drinkers and doesnt havr muvh complexity... decent... i can drink it but i wont havr again

Blue Point Pumpkin Ale from Blue Point Brewing Company