Blue Point Pumpkin Ale - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Gmann on 09-11-2010)
2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

edhead, Sep 20, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

pours a beautiful clear pumpkin pie color with average to liitle head and some nice lacing. Aroma is light with the typical pumpkin pie spice. Taste is rather lighter than I expected with the spices a little too much and slightly overpowering the true pumpkin flavor I was looking for

hophugger, Sep 19, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

moscow2042, Sep 19, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Frothy white head fades with some lacing on the glass. Reddish brown tea color
S- Spice smell, mostly cinnamon, but not very strong
T- Spicy taste; cinnamon, clove. More pronounced than nose. Drinkable and tasty
M- Smooth, medium feel. Some lingering taste here
O- A solid beer of the style. Not great but an above average example. I would recommend this beer.

CKav, Sep 18, 2014

Richbecker, Sep 07, 2014

briandaube, Sep 07, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

Pipelovejoy, Sep 06, 2014

I picked up a bottle of Blue Point's Pumpkin Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. Since it's the first week of September and I've already been getting into the Oktoberfest beers for a couple a weeks now I thought it was about time to start digging into some of this years Pumpkin Ale and I Thought out I would start off with one I've never had, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a simple yet nice design to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a a fairly clear amber color that took one more of a darker amber color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of creamy off white/light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy and spotty lacing behind, this was a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a slight brown sugar like aroma to it with the pumpkin being the first to show up and it imparts a nice natural pumpkin aroma that had just a slight creamy aroma to it. Up next comes the spice which imparts a nice mixture of those typical pumpkin pie spies with nutmeg and allspice seeming to stick out the most and towards the end there's a light grainy malt aroma. This beer had a nice aroma that was true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but it's a good deal lighter and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the pumpkin still being the first to show up and it imparts a natural pumpkin flavor, but it's much more lighter than it was in the aroma. Up next comes a grainy and slightly watery flavor that leads right into the spices with the nutmeg and allspice still sticking out the most, but this time they are much lighter. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a grainy, slightly watery and light spices like aftertaste. This was a ok tasting Pumpkin Ale, but the flavors were a little lighter than I wanted them to be.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, a little fizzy, a little watery, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it wasn't so thin and fizzy.

Overall I thought this was an Ok beer and I thought it was a very average example of a Pumpkin Ale, it was going in the right direction, but once it got to the taste and mouthfee things starts to fall apart a little and it just didn't live up to the nice aroma. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, a little fizzy, a little watery, not filling at all and the taste didn't do a good job of holding my attention, one is enough for me, any more than that and I would get bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, they were both nice and pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were both rough around the edges and could use some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's pretty easy to find a better a Pumpkin Ale and I can't say I would recommend it as a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, but I did like the aroma and in the end I just wish that the taste was on the same level that aroma was on. This falls right in the middle as far as Pumpkin Ales go and it's now my least favorite beer from Blue Point. Better luck next time guys, this one was just a little rough rough around the edges. This review marks 1300 beers that I've rated so far.

StoutHunter, Sep 05, 2014