Blue Point Extra Special Bitter - Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 37 | Reviews: 30
4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for this growler.

64 oz. poured into a nonic. Best by date of 3/7.

Pours a clear ruby copper hue with a generous two finger head that sticks around for a while. Stickiness is pretty good, nice webbing left on the sides of the glass. I can smell this one from across the room, surpised it has such a powerful scent for this style of beer. Good amount of nut and malt with a bitter earthy hop aroma. Big bitter nut flavors with sweet buttery biscuit taste. Caramel malt and hint of citrus hops on the tongue as well. Aftertaste is a malty wood like flavor, quite enjoyable. Light to medium body with a wet and slick feel to it. Carbonation can be a bit strong at times but doesn't take away from the true quality of this beer. What a great session beer. Blue Point should really think about bottling this one. By far the best I've had from these guys. Thanks again Joe for the trade.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

a: This ESB is clear dark copper color. It pours with a massive, uneven, craggy, light tan head.

s: English hop smells dominate, biscuity and floral.

t: This is not a style I know well, but I can't help but think this is spot on. The hops take center stage. They are slightly tart, perfumed, and have a bready quality.

m: The carbonation has a creamy feel that reminded me of a casked beer.

d: Thanks to plaid75 for sending my growler back filled with this outstanding brew. I wish Blue Point was local so I could try more from them.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was extremely tempted to put up a couple of 5's for this beer(especially taste), but I am praying that I can find another high quality ESB that can match or beat this.

Pours a nice deep brown with a white good sized head that leads to quality lacing throughout.
Aroma is of toasted and sweet malts with some good hop aroma. A nice balance.
Taste is also well balanced, but I think the hops get the win. Very malty backed up by nice hop character. Very enjoyable
My favorite ESB. Which has lead me to purchase many other ESB's to find something as good. At 5% a nice session beer with great flavor. If I had a kegerator I would try and get some of this as often as possible. However, I do not, so I am left trying to purchase as many growlers as I find

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

fresh growler, served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear, reddish/brown color with a beige head that lasted for the entire glass leaving good, sticky lacing.

S - bitter citrusy/hoppy aroma with faint smell of malt.

T - bitter / sweet malt / bitter, very good, very balanced beer.

F - light/medium bodied, good carbonation, head is creamy.

D - very good, real easy drinking brew.

Final Note: I ♥ this beer!

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Brought a growler of this over to my buddy's for a few cold ones in his backyard this afternoon. We poured a pair into some nice goblets he had, told a few stories, and enjoyed this excellent, fresh brew from Blue Point.

Beautiful, deep brown cloudy burst of color with respectable head that holds up well before fading. Nose is caramel and malt with some backing hops.

English hops are at the forefront here, more so than with most ESBs. Caramel and dark malt sugars blend seamlessly in a crisp, dry finish that makes this a joy to sip in the sun, or anywhere presumably. Highly drinkable, this growler was gone before we knew it.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Had this on tap at the Blue Point brewery.

A - Nice dark copper color. Creamy head although not much of one.

S - Sweet Hoppy aroma. Quite Pleasant.

T - Kind of citrusy, very hoppy and a little bitter. Just the right amount of bitterness.

M - Nice feel. Really makes the tastebuds come alive.

D - Very drinkable beer. Can drink this beer easily and with pleasure.

This is my favorite beer from Blue Point.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

This is one my favorite offerings from Blue Point. Pours a dark amber with a small off-white head. Good retention and lacing. Big aromas of malt, caramel, and citrusy hops. Taste is so smooth with perfect bitterness. Good hop presence as well with malt hitting you in the drying finish. Very crisp and refreshing. An awesome ESB that everyone should try. I wish they bottled this next!

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Blue Point ESB

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

Appearance- Dark majogany brown with a decent a little moderate lacing head.
Smell- Strong caramel, brown sugar, and molasses malt.
Taste- Big, HUGE, molasses/ caramel malt slight dryness in the end.
Mouthfeel- Big and flavorful throughout. Slight dryness in the end.

Overall- Man this was good. I ended up drinking 2 pints of this. Highly recommended!!! I want more!!!

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

had a couple of Blue Point Brews. I like the HOPTICAL ILLUSION but I was too thrilled with the lager. This ESB is pretty damn tasty.

This beer pours a clear copper with a nice head and good carbonation.

Nice bitter taste with citrus notes . The malt is way in the background

Excellent..Clean and crisp. I would definitely get this beer again. However, I don’t live in the area . This growler was a gift and it was a good one.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

on cask at the Brazen head, BKLYN NY. Poured cloudy, orangy almond, off white minimal head, tiny bubbles and leaving lacing. Fresh hoppy nose. Nicely balanced ale, Malt in place, Floral, fresh piney hops come through loud and clear. Tasty and enjoyable. Freshness is the word here. Low carbonation, smooth mouthfeel. Well done!, Classy and tasty ESB. This is the best I've had from Blue point

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Fresh 1/2 Gallon Growler purchased at Bierkraft in Park Slope for $12. Not bad. This is a bright red/copper colour with a nice fluffy head of white foam that stays around and leaves nice lace on my pint glass. The aromas are toasty, buttery, and very malty with a fresh floral hop bite on the nose as well. The taste is very malty up front with the hops in the middle and a lovely blend of the two in the finish. This is a very good English ESB here! The mouthfeel is smooth and very "cask-like" and the drinkability is excellent. A great version!

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

I was a little nervous after trying BP's toasted Lager (very dissapointing), but those fears were put to rest as soon as I caught a whiff of this beer.
Dark amber color with a nice off-white head.
Aroma was sweet floral, earthy. The flavor was great. A load of hops. Finish slightly more bitter but not overpowering.
Great brew...a must have from Bluepoint.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blue Point Extra Special Bitter from Blue Point Brewing Company