Trafalgar Maple Bock - Trafalgar Ales & Meads

poor

Trafalgar Ales & Meads visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Bock |  6.50% ABV

Maple Bock is a uniquely Canadian twist on the German tradition of Bock brewing. Pure Ontario maple syrup is added after fermentation and then the beer is lagered for a full two months to achieve full strength and flavour. A rich, dark beer with a distinct tang of maple.

(Beer added by: pootz on 04-17-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Cramshawbar:

Cramshawbar, Mar 01, 2013

beerhunter13, Feb 20, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -40.8%

Here we go... Thanks to Jan for this brew obtained in a bet. I insisted he send it to me since I am masochistic & he said it was heroically bad.

A: The brew pours with a thin head. Dark amber. Nothing notable here from a regular bock.
S: Smells like maple syrup. I like maple syrup but not in beer.
T: Yuck! I almost spit it out upon sipping it. Tastes like watered down maple syrup. I can't detect much bock in here at all except a little bit of fruit/toffee. I taste some sourness towards the end of each sip which is nasty.
M: Very thin.
Overall: This is god awful. I told Jan I would finish the bottle (which I will!) but this is going to a painful experience.

AVOID!

SkinnyElvis, Jun 22, 2011
1.55/5  rDev -32%

Thought there may have been something wrong with this one, but since all the other reviews seem to match my experience exactly, I'll throw my thoughts in as well.

The idea of beer and maple is probably the holy grail for Canadian beer drinkers. I don't know any Canadians who haven't dreamed of the day these two great things can be combined (well). A Maple Bock sounded like just what we had all been waiting for. Unfortunately, as has already been pointed out, something went wrong.

To borrow from another review, cola is a pretty apt description for the pour and head, and like that reviewer I was still clinging to hope.

Sweet aroma with a hint of maple in there somewhere, but it certainly doesn't jump out at you.

I tried so hard to like it, but my taste buds put up too much of a fight. The sourness is overwhelming. Like the aroma, there was a maple hint somewhere in there but it was incredibly hard to get the taste and keep it, it was very slippery. Through all that there was a pleasant smokiness to the malt that was as elusive as the maple. These two notes hint at the possibility of a great beer, but this isn't it.

The cloying sweetness kept me from even finishing the beer and my girlfriend refused the rare chance to finish one of my drinks after trying it herself. Keep dreaming maple lovers.

CanuckRover, Sep 11, 2007

traumaqueen, Apr 03, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +20.6%

jsnoek, Mar 31, 2012
1.02/5  rDev -55.3%

Bottle: Poured a deep burgundy color bock with a small foamy head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma is intensely sweet with an overabundance of primary sugar. Taste is cloying with way too much sweetness – totally gross and a drain pour. I can’t really understand what they try to do here but this is definitely the worst maple beer I had and I had some pretty bad one previously.

Phyl21ca, Oct 01, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Deep brown with a very small amount of cream coloured head.

S - Maple syrup is evident immediately and is complimented by some light caramel and toffee notes.

T - Maple syrup is the dominant flavour with not much else coming through at all. A very slight toffee flavour is present but not much in the way of typical bock flavours. As I continued to drink this beer it became sweeter and sweeter and almost got too sweet by the end. Decent but very one dimensional.

M - Light to medium body with moderate carbonation.

D - My expectations were VERY low for this one and it did surprise me a little. It was not terrible as many of the reviews had prepared me for, but it certainly isn't worth buying again. Doesn't represent the style at all - that would be my big complaint.

TheSevenDuffs, Apr 05, 2011

ThinkAgain, Feb 15, 2012

irishkyle21, Sep 08, 2013
3.15/5  rDev +38.2%

650 mL bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature

Appearance- Pours a dark dark brown colour, almost completely opaque but it does let some light through. Average pour yields a nice bubbly two fingers of off white head that slowly dissipates to an above average bubbly top and a nice ring leaving average lacing throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- I do get the maple right away on the nose but there’s not too much else going on here, very sweet with a hint of caramel malts in the background as well.

Taste- For the very low score it’s received on BA so far, it actually tasted a little better than I expected it to be. You do get the sweet maple syrup taste right off the bat and it does dominate a lot of the palate, and it finishes with a nice roasted malt flavour in there as well, although I do get a bit of and off almost metallic taste.

Mouthfeel- Light to Medium bodied this bock has pretty good carbonation if you ask me, goes down easy although it is a little on the light side, not overly bad on the mouth feel for a bock to be honest.

Overall- Definitely nothing to write home about but this batch of maple bock doesn’t really deserve this low of a score either. I also did not have high expectations and I was kind of surprised by this one, I mean I probably wouldn’t buy it again but it was worth a try for sure, and from such an underrated brewery I think this one is a step in the right direction for Trafalgar.

Roke87, May 29, 2011

RedAleMan, Feb 26, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -32.9%

I recently bought a case of Harbour Gold, and was quite impressed with that beer, so I figured I would give this one a shot. I haven't had any other beer from this brewer

650 ml bottle purchased from the LCBO

The beer to me tasted sour. I think something went wrong with this bottle somewhere along the line.

I tried to taste past the sourness and get to the underlying character of the beer, but ultimately after a few sips it was a drain pour. I think that there was potential in there somewhere.

Hopefully they can get this cleared up. I would like to see some smaller Canadian Brewers doing well.

Beers, Jun 01, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance: It has a nice dark brown/amber color to it. It has a thin beige head that dies down fast and leaves very minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of maple syrup with maybe a hint of chocolate?

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a dominant maple syrup taste to it, light roasted malts, smokiness and metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with an overpowering maple syrup flavor and a thin and somewhat watery overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland and unbalanced flavors and aromas.

Wtf?

SebD, Mar 27, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bomber picked up at the LCBO; best before July 2012. Having heard such terrible things about this beer in the past, and being steadfast in my masochistic tendencies, I pretty much had to try this stuff. Served slightly warmer than fridge temperature.

The pour reveals a dark, muddy brown brew, effectively opaque between the darkness of the hue and the haziness of the liquid itself. Some reddish highlights when held to the light. Like most of the other things I've tried from this brewer, this stuff is just incapable of retaining a head for any length of time - even using my patented Angrypour, the tan-coloured, creamy foam went from one finger thick to a negligibly thin, uneven soapy film within a minute of pouring. The aroma is actually kind of nice, although unmistakably one-dimensional - that 'Trafalgar yeast' smell is fairly prevalent, along with an underlying malty sweetness and maple syrup notes.

Weird taste, not as bad as the reviews led me to believe though. The profile leans heavily on the malty side of things, with lightly roasted bready malts forming the backbone. Sweet-tasting with no relent; syrupy notes of molasses and maple remain prevalent throughout the sip. Some faint dark fruit/chocolate notes are just blown away by the generic syrupy sweetness. Roasted malts and some earthy, drying bitterness compose the aftertaste, which doesn't really linger. Unacceptably thin-bodied and watery for a bock, with a weird sour vibe that feels like it should not be there (but at the very least, stops this from being cloyingly sweet). No heat from the alcohol is apparent. Light carbonation, with a very smooth/flat mouthfeel.

Not good, but its badness has been exaggerated a little. It's also possible that Trafalgar has just improved the recipe/brewing method this season. Regardless, it's just not the level of quality a beer geek should expect from a 4-to-5 dollar bomber of beer. Disappointing when taken as a bock too, reminding me more of a brown ale than anything - and a thin one at that.

Final Grade: 2.5, which is in D+ territory. This is my 8th trek into the world of Trafalgar beers, and although I seemed to be making a plea for leniency up there, it's still probably one of the lamest things I've had from this brewery. If I could use one word to describe this beer, it would probably be 'disorganized'. There are a few different flavours going on, and while none of them are terribly off-putting, they are balanced poorly and the result is something that just tastes like roasted malts and watery syrup. Not really a chore to drink, but I would not buy this again or recommend it to anyone else.

thehyperduck, Mar 18, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -2.2%

650 ml bottle from the LCBO, dated best before Sept. 2007.

Medium brown liquid with a considerable amount of haze.
Poured with only the slightest amount of light brown head that disappeared almost instantly. Just couple specks of lace.
There was very little malt smell and essentially no hops smell. There was a kind of empty sweet smell; I thought it kind of smelled watery, if one can say that. The most distinguishable feature was a smell of sour, dried fruit. (maybe cherry?)
Tasting started somewhat watery and sweet. Then came the sour. Like soured fruit. And not in a good way. Some dried fruit notes too. But not much maple flavour, perhaps it all fermented away. No noticeable hops. Finished kind of watery too. At least the aftertaste doesn't linger with you.
The mouthfeel was like watered down syrup, with a slight effervescence.
After drinking enough of it to write this review, the taste didn't seem quite as bad as when I started. But not good enough to finish even the glass. Three quarters of the bottle went down the drain.

Wintermute, May 09, 2007
1.25/5  rDev -45.2%

TheBeeraholic, Apr 04, 2014
2.88/5  rDev +26.3%

Fresh 2011 bottle from Ottawa, Ontario.

Pours a cola brown-ruby colour, very little head, but leaves a long-lasting, hair-thin ring.

Smells of sweet chocolate malt, table syrup and a slightly spicy malt and hop blend.

The maple is accompanied by a hearty smoke in the flavour, backed by a thick milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel is water and yeast, but very smooth.

This would have been better as a stout, there was a chocolate that never quite came through.

bryehn, Mar 07, 2011

JasonThaler, Aug 27, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -23.2%

pschul4, Jun 03, 2012

I bought this beer from the LCBO, 650mL. I just opened it and I saw it was expired Sept 2007. I bought this in October. I thought to myself, this is a BOCK maybe this will do the beer good. I pour it. Smells sweet.

Then I look at the actual glass. I see a bunch of particles floating around! I look at the bottom of the bottle and I see that either the maple or beer stuck to the bottom and formed a hard like substance. I don't drain beer, so I went ahead and drank with with the particles. Like others have said, tastes sour. I didn't taste any maple. Ruined my thanksgiving dinner. Terrible beer, no one buy this..trust me!

sid, Oct 07, 2007
1.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Knowing Trafalgar this is probably something they relabeled.

Pours an opaque brown/red edges, sludgy looking, foamy tan head forms, starts to disappear, minimal lacing. Smell is WTF? Brett? Harsh sour note, cherries, caramel, fake chocolate? Weird. Taste is like sour chocolate, toffee, maple, this is obviously pretty infected. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Just another reason why this brewery should not exist. I normally wouldn't rate something this obviously infected but Trafalgar definately has QC issues.

Viggo, May 08, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +79.8%

What can I say? I liked it. Where a beer with a twist like this would normally fall flat (I'm looking at you GLB Pumpkin Spice Ale), this one delivers on the maple. It's a little thin, but I found it perfectly drinkable. The bottle I grabbed from the LCBO was capped well, fresh.

I'd drink it again.

irc, Mar 16, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -10.1%

I consider myself an eternal optimist, either that or someone who likes to punish oneself over and over...

A - Pours a dark cola colour with a finger of head after a rough pour, little retention and no real lacing.

S - Bready caramel and maple syrop, raw oats and cheerios.

T - Typical Trafalgar metallic and odd leafy notes, the syrop comes through and isn't as overpowering as the nose implies. The bready caramel lingers alongside a strong leafy bitterness. Rather one dimensional with the flavours being unadventurous and rather tame for the style.

M - Disturbingly thin, reminiscent of flat coke with a sour dryness that lingers.

O - Well, admittedly I was a bit surprised by this one. Based on the rating I was expecting to drain pour this bottle, but it certainly wasn't that bad. A good example of the style? Absolutely not. Would I drink it again? Unfortunately, yes, because I made the mistake of buying two bottles.

andrenaline, Mar 17, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +82%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

For our second foray into the beers of Trafalgar Ales & Meads we sampled their Maple Bock ("MB"), purchased in a 650 ml bottle from the LCBO. The bottle had a best before date of June 2012 punched into the label, and was 6.5% alcohol by volume.

MB poured a very dark, opaque brown, with an aggressive pour producing 1" of short-lived tan coloured head. The head faded to a foamy collar within 2-3 minutes and left considerable lacing down the glass. Its aroma was dominated by coffee and chocolate but the maple syrup was certainly detectable. Who doesn't love the aroma of coffee, chocolate and maple syrup? When I swirl the beer around the glass I can also smell the hops. We're off to a good start...good looks and aroma. The first taste to hit the palate is the maple syrup, followed by the chocolate and coffee, ending with a mild hop bitterness. A bitter/coffee aftertaste lingers but isn't so strong or long lasting as to be offensive. Trafalgar has the carbonation just right on this one...the fairly low level of carbonation that you would typically experience with a stout. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and I would describe MB as medium to full bodied. Trafalgar has a winner here! So many beers with "maple syrup" on the label fail to deliver any detectable presence of maple syrup, but that's not the case here. At $4.75 per 650 ml bottle MB represents decent value for money, and I would certainly buy this beer again. Good work Trafalgar.

BuckyBeerBeaver, Apr 13, 2014